Show Us Your Bryce Renders Part 10

Comments

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,755

Wonderful terrains, Dave, Eugenius and Horo.

Very good use of the terrain-sea for the sailing boat, Dave.

Great looking portrait, Elvis

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited November 2018
    Slepalex said:
    Dave, a wonderful classic mountain landscape!

I liked the texture and terrain.
    Does X-Frog tree have a foliage transparency map? I have several X-Frog trees, but I don’t use them due to the presence of transparency maps, since recently I have been using the Premium TA render in combination with HDRI. It's unbearable to wait for the rendering to end, my patience is running out. Although I previously rendered a few days.

Thanks Alex.

Yes, all the X-Frog trees use tranparency maps for the leaves... And yes, it's a bit of a nuisance with render times. I find some of the products are quicker than others and avoid larger trees right in the foreground for that reason (the Weeping Willow tree is by far the slowest tree I've come across). This one wasn't to bad, but still Premium TA and some HDRI lighting (36pp) took 2 hours 50 minutes. It could probably do with boosting to 64rpp but I wanted to see a result before I went out.... and I also added a slight bit of transparency to the material to try and get some light shining through. I keep meaning to spend some time with Arbora(?) which I downloaded a few years ago and used only a few times. It's a great tree lab application and produces leaves from geometry instead of using transparency, which makes those trees so much quicker to render and if you make a good tree, can look as good as some of the X-Frog ones.

Elvis: Thanks, I did quite a lot of work on the leaf material in an attempt to make it more lifelike... It's another thing like skin that could really do with sub surface scattering... Having said that you get really good skin on your people renders, the latest one being a good example.

Thanks Hansmar. Using terrains for sea is a good trick but again render times aren't good as rendering water onto a terrain is much more complex for th eprocessor than rendering it onto a flat plane... Still sometimes, it's worth the extra time.

Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,095

Dave Savage : again a beautiful landscape, awesome terrain and sky. Your last image is a successful rework of the previous one, very realistic vegetation.

Horo : great image and anaglyph.

Electro-Elvis : she looks great !

• Horo - Beautiful and realistic Mount Mesa landscape. The volumetric clouds rock! I'm looking forward to seeing your isoline-based terrains. Marathon is a prequel/sequel game to Halo games, 1994 - 1996. 
    Electro-Elvis - Really nice lighting and render.
    Dave Savage - Amazing job on Peak Limestone. Very nice combination of volumetric and HDRI clouds. 
    adbc & Hansmar - Thank you.

Northern Mountains of Lh'owon - Terrains generated in Bryce and filtered in GeoControl Demo. 

Northern Mountains of Lh'owon.png
    1114 x 819 - 2M
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,109

Dave - looks very nice. I also prefer Arbaro trees to Xfrog. It is possible to add a tad of transparency/translucency on foliage using trans maps but leaves made with geometry are much better, though may need a bit more memory.

Hansmar - thank you.

adbc - thank you.

Eugenius - thank you. The snow mountainscape looks great.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,987

Electro-Elvis -wow she looks fabulous.

Dave - superb render

Eugenius - The snowy mountain looks great.

edited November 2018

I worked a day to fake an HDRI from an old Apophysis flame and wanted to see how it works so I took a dragon from the Stanford Scanning Repository and gave it a glassy material.

Glassy Dragon

GlassyDragon.jpg
    1200 x 870 - 174K
    Post edited by Horo on

Wow beautiful effect, Horo

edited November 2018

Eugenuis: Nicely formed terrain

Horo: No idea how you fake an HDRI but it looks cool.

My latest... Still playing with terrains and materials... I could do this all day... Oh wait!... I just did. Here's the result.

One terrain, two complex materials (blended in Mat Lab channel C by slope) and an HDRI sky. The terrian was the Classic Fractal and then Warped Ridges was brushed in to form the basic valley... Planetry Scale.

AnotherValley3.jpg
    1111 x 555 - 564K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited November 2018

In honour of Douglas Rain, who voiced the HAL computer in the wonderful film of '2001: A Space Odyssey'. RIP

If viewing the film for the first time, don't check for spoilers, view it in its originality, and then figure out what is being presented.

The author Arthur C. Clarke and movie producer Stanley Kubrick were a wonderful match: both had views on our imaginations and eventual evolution.

Eugenius..that 'scape looks so natural yes

Classy and glassy...Horo...gorgeous.

Dave...techniques are envious.

Jay

Hal-Rain.jpg
    1386 x 542 - 202K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited November 2018

A classic piece of Sci-fi Jay.

For me, I'm still stuck in a loop of making some terrains and then making some terrain materials... I really need a change of subject soon.

Tonight, I also modelled the metal steps and the sign (both done in Bryce)... If could have been bothered to open up Poser, I might have made some Zombies too... But not everything has to be so obvious.

ZombieIsland.jpg
    1111 x 555 - 593K
  • SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911

A classic piece of Sci-fi Jay.

For me, I'm still stuck in a loop of making some terrains and then making some terrain materials... I really need a change of subject soon.

Tonight, I also modelled the metal steps and the sign (both done in Bryce)... If could have been bothered to open up Poser, I might have made some Zombies too... But not everything has to be so obvious.

Dave, beautiful textures and terrain in your latest work.

edited November 2018

"Zombie Outbreak"...hahe...Dave (zombies, for whatever...always make me smile): we recently had a street fair where such were included...and their slow pace was just too fast cheeky

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on

Dave - thank you. Great terrain, I've experimented a bit with a second terrain over the first one and then unpaint the second but I haven't come up with something good. Zombie outbreak is also a very nicely made terrain.

Jay - thank you.

Dave-both your renders are excellent

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,095

Eugenius : Beautiful snow mountain.

Horo : the Stanford dragon with a very nice effect.

Dave Savage : I like your latest work, especially the materials on the terrains.

edited November 2018

Jay: I remember (and I'm sure you do too) when zombies used to stagger along and it always amused me how they ever managed to catch up with and eat anyone at all... Nowadays they tend to run quite fast.

Horo: I'm sure it could be used effectively for creating the "sediment" effect of GeoControl... But I've not tried it yet... I keep wishing I could make the painting window bigger in the TE, but on my monitor, if I make it bigger, the control to  make it smaller again leaves the screen and I can't get it back. Meaning at the next opportunity, I have to ditch the prefs file and restart Bryce to take it back to it's default. But would be good for the finer details.

Thanks Mermaid and adbc.

Well it's gone to publication now so here's my latest commercial Bryce render... The cartidge was made in Bryce and the nozzle made in Wings, the tick is made from meta-balls. It will appear in a UK national trade building magazine.

Everbuild-PINKGrip.jpg
    800 x 1101 - 480K

PINKGRIP...such silicone gums have been many a saviour over the years.

Jay

Dave - great ad! We don't have it here but the "original" Sika.

Dave - I agree with Horo great Ad

Horo said:

Dave - great ad! We don't have it here but the "original" Sika.

Thanks everyone.

Horo: Yes, Sika bought Everbuild about 6 years ago and since then I've been also marketing and advertising their products (using a lot of Bryce in the process).

This short YouTube ad contains Bryce still renders and Bryce animations that I did for Sika's most popular product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxTZLq1lvGU

Dave - watched, thanks. Only complaint: no Bryce logo visible. crying

Horo said:

Dave - watched, thanks. Only complaint: no Bryce logo visible. crying

Yeah, I do sometimes sneak stuff like that in, but Sika aren't a company for joking (they're very corporate) and I can't afford to upset them. laugh

edited November 2018

Dave – cool video

I started playing in the TE too; started with Weathered Dikes, and then applied some filters randomly, here’s the result; the sky and material are from David and Horo’s products.

te-filters1.jpg
    900 x 675 - 482K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited November 2018

Thanks Mermaid... And nice fantasy terrain there.

I've managed to get away from the TE today by forcing myself into doing an abstract... Something I don't usually do.

It's a very simple set up and only took 26 minutes to render at 256rpp.

BlackRedAbstractALT.jpg
    1111 x 555 - 462K

mermaid - very nice outlandish terrain.

Dave - yes, we've got to do something else than terrains or whatever we usually do from time to time. Your abstract looks very cool. By the way, it would have surprised me to see a logo on the Pinkgrip product - was meant as a joke.

• Horo - Incredible render and perfect reflection. 

Dave Savage - Your terrains and textures blow me away. The Bryce animation is exceptional. Very nice abstract artwork and excellent use of colors.  

mermaid010 - Awesome landscape, atmosphere, and lighting. 

edited November 2018

Thanks Horo and Eugenius. smiley

And straight back to the terrains thing... Though this time, with quite some time spent adding components of a castle to the terrain.

CliffCastleTA.jpg
    1111 x 555 - 713K

Eugenius - thank you.

Dave - good idea with the castles, materials fit nicely. One observation: the three arches at far left are unfortunate because the rock in the back shows. Those arches are of no use - though it might be that they were built long ago and there were some rock falls in the past.

Thanks Dave, Horo and Eugenius for your comments.

Dave - the abstract is awesome and the Cliff Castle beautiful

This discussion has been closed.