Using DAZ environments in realtime engine

13»

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,861
    edited January 2017

Thanks a lot, FirstBastion. Yes, Atrium and Staircase are my favorites, as well so far.

I have not changed materials in Unity for assets aquired from Daz3D at all - just exported them from Daz Studio as .FBX files

and drag and drop them to Unity assets folder.

One probably will get even better results, while using specialized shaders for Unity - I guess they will be needed for glass and water materials.

I have only played with light setups and post effects in Unity, while using imported Daz3D assets, but I've already see a lot of potential there.

It will open the way for VR applications, making videos faster or rapid rendering on the graphic cards other than Nvidia ones.

Post edited by Artini on
  • LimbaLimba Posts: 53

Nice testing.

Here is what I did for my own fun. Testing with VIVE + Unity. This lowpoly hair model seems to be ok with VR. about 12.8k tris. Needed to use my own version of standard shader for transparent materials.

These are good examples for how to do low poly hair. Sorry for dark screencap. Skybox was only light in scene.

Tested hair: http://www.daz3d.com/d4m-faith-hair-lo-res-for-genesis-3-female-s

20170130220526_1.jpg
    1051 x 1051 - 119K
    edited January 2017
    davide445 said:

There is something strange with Genesis 3 eyes.

Imported in Unity using this tutorial, eyes are always dark without any texture.

Attached current settings, Unity 5.5.0f3.

I use Standerd shader with fade to EyeMoisture (Set color transparent), eyes, and Eyelashes. render eyelashes without culling and use zwriting.

For hair I recommend to use 3 pass. 1st pass without zwrite and cull off, 2ns pass cull front and write z, and 3rd cull back and write z

That should help for standard shader fade z fighting.

Post edited by Limba on
    edited January 2017

Thanks. Still could not fix the look of Genesis 3 eyes, eyelashes and hair in Unity, so I am back to render of environments.

This time Talk Show - http://www.daz3d.com/talk-show-late-night-set-and-poses

TalkShow01pic01.jpg
    1919 x 1029 - 663K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • davide445davide445 Posts: 27
    edited February 2017

Purchased The Ballroom, Bal a Versailles and MyPrincess.

Now no problem loading the environment in DAZ, I find it's impossible to load the MyPrincess clothing to Genesis 3 or 2 figure.

So purchased Wear Them All - Autofitting Clones and Clothing Smoothers for Genesis 3 Female(s), I can't really find how to use it.

A couple of clothing is under Poser\Figures and this only will be installed on Genesis 3.

The majority of MyPrincess clothing is placed under Poser formats \Pose folder, not sure why. This are not installed on Genesis3 when I try. Any way to recategorize them? When I try to seat a category (using Categorize) nothing change. I was instead able to set a category for the cloting under Poser\Figures.

MyPrincess categorized.JPG
    443 x 528 - 38K
    MyPrincess uncategorized.JPG
    440 x 531 - 42K
    Post edited by davide445 on
  • Are you sure you are loading the dress figure, not one of its material settings?

edited February 2017

The categorized items are correctly installed (unfortuntalley I'm more interested to the other clothes).

The Top is correctly adapted to Genesis 3 using Victorica 4 as source, using the same autofit option for the skirt all is distorted so I leave it standard.

I'm not sure Wear them all is correctly installed since I didn't find the autofitting clones under Genesis 3 Hidden properties (I can't find these hidden properties at all)

MyPrincess cat installed.JPG
    951 x 561 - 107K
  • The skirt distortions are probably just a limitation of the AutoFit function - you could try applying a Smoothing Modifier (from Edit>Figure>Goemetry) which may help somewhat, but anythhing beyond that is going to require the use of a modeller and probably some editing of the rigging.

• Leaving standard settings for the import of the skirt I'd have no distortion as written, so no problem for that. I'm stuck about the wrong category of 3 over 4 of the models, that's the problem. Tried to re-import all the package make no difference, didn't understand why a part is going in a category where I can use it and another is placed in a dead zone.
  • What wrong categories? Your screenshots don't show category views at all, and the placement is correct - figures in the figure library, materials in the Pose library (which is odd but a long standing approach from before Poser had a materials library).

• Ahh now I got the material topic, thanks.

Yes, using the items in Poser\Pose I can change the materials of the skirt, but not of the top.

Since the two are in equal level in the Node editor I did't understand why, the only difference I can see is the icon under the Node word, something to do with grouping?

Also the top create some strange pyramid exiting from the belly, using a Smoothing modifier make this smaller but didn't disappear. It's part of the top geometry or some artifact due to the AutoFit?

Top cuspide.JPG
    484 x 566 - 55K
    Top no material change.JPG
    686 x 564 - 106K
  • Ok some learning about DAZ interface, I needed to first select MyPrincessTop in the node editor, next hold the new top material on the old one so that the context menu appear and finally ask to fit on the MyPrincessTop.

Now the fun part try to make it work in Unity.

MyPrincess full dress.JPG
    482 x 569 - 70K
    edited February 2017

Back in Unity for some strange reason the skirt is ok, the top is missing.

Mesh and textures are there, but the top appear misaligned: seen from the back appear to be in front of the character, and backwards if seen from the front.

Unity MyPrincess top missing.JPG
    1113 x 496 - 92K
    edited February 2017

May be you need to apply double sided shaders in Unity.

Below are the screenshots from Unity of MyPrincess:

- with double sided shader applied

- with double sided dual texture shader applied

MyPrincess01pic01.jpg
    1243 x 899 - 184K
    MyPrincess01pic02.jpg
    1209 x 953 - 196K
    MyPrincess01pic03.jpg
    1261 x 901 - 189K
    MyPrincess01pic04.jpg
    1227 x 941 - 200K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Never known standard shaders can be double sided. Are you using a custom one?
    edited February 2017

Most if not all shaders in Unity for games are single sided, because they can save on rendering time.

But most of the materials in Daz Studio are double sided, so if one export clothes from Daz Studio to Unity

and they does not look right there - it is always good to test double sided shaders. I have used not free from Asset Store:

Double Sided Standard Mobile Legacy Shaders by Mario Lelas

but you can try the free one, like: Double Sided Shaders by Ciconia Studio

Post edited by Artini on
    edited February 2017

Strange behavior.

Changing the Top shader to Unity Standard (Specular setup) all appear to be ok.

Now returned to Unity Standard and all ok also there.

Using M3D and Standard Double sideded shader create some artifacts.

MyPrincess standard shader.JPG
    675 x 424 - 29K
    MyPrincess M3D stnd double sided shader.JPG
    675 x 426 - 31K

Ok, so may be it was something else.

edited February 2017

I have modified standard shader by adding 3 more pass. 4 pass total.

1. cull front without z write
    2. cull front with zwrite
    3. cull back without zwrite
    4. cull back with zwrite

There is still some litle problems when mesh is split by unity.

I think I need to continue shader tests.

Edit:

It seems z fighting situation in M3D shader Default transparent is drawn without zwrite. I resolved this by drawing one pass with zwrite on per culling.

Post edited by Limba on