Dynamic Clothing

Comments

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited December 2016

When I tried VWD during the beta testing of the DAZ Studio bridge (which is another product you need to buy if you want to use the VWD product in DS), it had numerous problems. From memory (as I don't have it now) it was grindingly slow, sometimes crashed, sometimes messed up the geometry, and it was impossible to save out as a pose. That latter was the only reason I wanted it - so that I could save a character in a pose with clothes also draped and posed. 

If there has been progress since then I might have another look. BTW, wasn't there another Dynamic Cloth plugin being developed around the same time which looked incredible in the sample videos? I wish I could recall the name of it but the thread is probably still here. Pity the search facility of the forum is so poor - I'll try Google.

EDIT: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/89716/interactive-real-time-dynamic-cloth-simulation

Post edited by marble on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited December 2016

There was another one, but it was based on Unity and I don't recall the OP ever saying that it was going to be a commercial thing, just showing what they were working on. That doesn't mean they didn't say it, it just means I don't recall  them saying it. LOL I believe Kendall also said he has some physics thing in the works as well, but I'm not sure if it included cloth or not ;)

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987
    BeeMKay said:

Here's an example of VwD "in action" - It's a really nice tool once you have worked out the naggy little details. https://vimeo.com/182627975

(Mods: I hope this is okay, it just shows the comparision in an animation sequence.)

Oh my! I've never thought that VWD can make clothes dynamic in a good way! :) Can you kindly do like a tutorial vid on doing it in Daz? It would help a lot of people :) also can you make any hairs and clothes dynamic even if they are for Genesis 3 figures or characters? :)

Ah... sorry, but the only type of tutorial vid I could do would be screen shots with text to it. But the program comes with a decent documentation.

As for dynamics, you can make pretty much everything dynamic with it, though hair is a lot more difficult than clothing, and you have to be aware that the calculations will need quite a while. It's not like Marvelous designer, where you have insta-dynamics.

The process for clothes is - Use the timeline in DAZ Studio to create an animation (between 60-200 frames depending on the pose. Have the T pose at 0 frames, and the final pose somewhere around 4/5th of the frame number. Start the plugin. Through the process, you load the character and the clothing item, and the animation. There are some default settings during export, but it's a good idea to turn off subdivision. More vertices=bigger chance the program will not work. Then, you select a certain amount of vertices that you glue to the character (at the shoulders, for example). start the animate based simulation. It will then calculate frame by frame, and when its done, you can send all the different poses created over to DAZ Studio again through the bridge.

If you check out the product at Rendo, they have a free trial version, though that works only with Poser. To work with DAZ Studio, you'd always have to buy the bridge as well.

It works with all generations (and clothes/hair from all generations), as well as anything else that you want to collide. Be aware, though, that anything turned into a dynamic item will become a new object, and lose any morphs and rigging that it had.

• BeeMKay said:
    BeeMKay said:

Here's an example of VwD "in action" - It's a really nice tool once you have worked out the naggy little details. https://vimeo.com/182627975

(Mods: I hope this is okay, it just shows the comparision in an animation sequence.)

Oh my! I've never thought that VWD can make clothes dynamic in a good way! :) Can you kindly do like a tutorial vid on doing it in Daz? It would help a lot of people :) also can you make any hairs and clothes dynamic even if they are for Genesis 3 figures or characters? :)

Ah... sorry, but the only type of tutorial vid I could do would be screen shots with text to it. But the program comes with a decent documentation.

As for dynamics, you can make pretty much everything dynamic with it, though hair is a lot more difficult than clothing, and you have to be aware that the calculations will need quite a while. It's not like Marvelous designer, where you have insta-dynamics.

The process for clothes is - Use the timeline in DAZ Studio to create an animation (between 60-200 frames depending on the pose. Have the T pose at 0 frames, and the final pose somewhere around 4/5th of the frame number. Start the plugin. Through the process, you load the character and the clothing item, and the animation. There are some default settings during export, but it's a good idea to turn off subdivision. More vertices=bigger chance the program will not work. Then, you select a certain amount of vertices that you glue to the character (at the shoulders, for example). start the animate based simulation. It will then calculate frame by frame, and when its done, you can send all the different poses created over to DAZ Studio again through the bridge.

If you check out the product at Rendo, they have a free trial version, though that works only with Poser. To work with DAZ Studio, you'd always have to buy the bridge as well.

It works with all generations (and clothes/hair from all generations), as well as anything else that you want to collide. Be aware, though, that anything turned into a dynamic item will become a new object, and lose any morphs and rigging that it had.

What if I'm just planning to make a still image? And by the way speaking of animations can you use mixamo animations in Daz? And are there any other animation sources for Daz? :)

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    marble said:

When I tried VWD during the beta testing of the DAZ Studio bridge (which is another product you need to buy if you want to use the VWD product in DS), it had numerous problems. From memory (as I don't have it now) it was grindingly slow, sometimes crashed, sometimes messed up the geometry, and it was impossible to save out as a pose. That latter was the only reason I wanted it - so that I could save a character in a pose with clothes also draped and posed. 

Wow, that would certainly not be good. But I have the product (not a beta) and it works fine for all the things you mentioned. It will go slow if the mesh you are simulating is super high poly, or had subD turned on before you sent it across the bridge. So there's that. But most meshes simulate pretty quickly, especially if you have "inertia" checked to on. As for sending poses back for still renders. works perfectly for me. I don't do animations so that was very important to me as well. No issues.  It does have some stability problems when you are done with a sim and want to close it (sometimes it crashes DAZ studio) so I leave it open and hide it while I finish up in Studio. But so far I have only good things to say.  Maybe it was beta issues you saw?

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I tried the demo in VWD's freestuff but I couldn't get it to do anything. Not that I couldn't get clothes to conform, but I couldn't get any models into  it to try it.

marble said:

Wow, that would certainly not be good. But I have the product (not a beta) and it works fine for all the things you mentioned. It will go slow if the mesh you are simulating is super high poly, or had subD turned on before you sent it across the bridge. So there's that. But most meshes simulate pretty quickly, especially if you have "inertia" checked to on. As for sending poses back for still renders. works perfectly for me. I don't do animations so that was very important to me as well. No issues.  It does have some stability problems when you are done with a sim and want to close it (sometimes it crashes DAZ studio) so I leave it open and hide it while I finish up in Studio. But so far I have only good things to say.  Maybe it was beta issues you saw?

Are you able to save the pose from the still scene? I mean posing a character with VWD draped clothing and saving that so you can load it again? I seem to remember that VWD creates a secondary figure so the clothing is not draped on the original figure but I'm trying to remember the beta from over a year ago. I did post some comments on the VWD forum at Rendo at the time.

• eheiehbruno@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 842
    edited December 2016

VWD creates a prop from the draped object and assigns morphs to the drape according to the frame in the sequence (that is, a morph for each frame in the animation that you simulated, and one morph for static drapes). Currently, there's no option to transfer those morphs to the original dress/hair/etc, although suppposedly it's one of the things being worked on for the incoming upgrade, but there's nothing stopping you from saving the draped prop.

Post edited by [email protected] on
  • smaker1smaker1 Posts: 275

The dynamic result from VWD is a different static object from the original clothe. You can save the scene character pose and object. All my dynamic results are saved in my scenes and of course you can re-open your scene and even start a new simu on the last one (just  rename the objet) . There was discussion about a functionnality to use the result object as a morph target of the original one. I didn't follow it because I consider that dynamic simulation is specifiic to the pose, scene so I prefer to make a brand new simu. In VWD there is an automatic save of the clothe parameters you used so it's very efficent to make a new simu without starting from zero.   

Remember that you can also change parameters DURING the simu (gravity, wind, vertices parameters,...) . For static simu you are in an "infinite" dynamic simulation so you can adjust your simu until you are happy 

Here is my current working scene: conforming Uraalny from Awfulsoul on G3F (not V4). A more complex simu: belt over the dress, hard parts (chains,buckles,...) the character pose,.... but you can see: no polygons deformation for long dress under the breasts, between the legs. Natural folds I couldn't get with the morphtarget inside the clothe... I will perhaps improve by doing local simulation to have a better result. It's the first step of a big project I have.

test.jpg
    695 x 718 - 196K
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    smaker1 said:

The dynamic result from VWD is a different static object from the original clothe. You can save the scene character pose and object. All my dynamic results are saved in my scenes and of course you can re-open your scene and even start a new simu on the last one (just  rename the objet) . There was discussion about a functionnality to use the result object as a morph target of the original one. I didn't follow it because I consider that dynamic simulation is specifiic to the pose, scene so I prefer to make a brand new simu. In VWD there is an automatic save of the clothe parameters you used so it's very efficent to make a new simu without starting from zero.   

Remember that you can also change parameters DURING the simu (gravity, wind, vertices parameters,...) . For static simu you are in an "infinite" dynamic simulation so you can adjust your simu until you are happy 

Here is my current working scene: conforming Uraalny from Awfulsoul on G3F (not V4). A more complex simu: belt over the dress, hard parts (chains,buckles,...) the character pose,.... but you can see: no polygons deformation for long dress under the breasts, between the legs. Natural folds I couldn't get with the morphtarget inside the clothe... I will perhaps improve by doing local simulation to have a better result. It's the first step of a big project I have.

Looking good.

You can also tweak the indifidual frames of an animation before returning it to Studio; you can return a static pose, or more than one out of a dynamic series, and then return the series. Just realise that doing this can mess up the animation.

But copying and pasting in Studio allows for multiple copies of the item with different poses embeded in them.

• smaker1 said:

How did you learn to use VWD? :) I've seen the youtube video of the seller but it was in french?

• aspinaspin Posts: 219
    smaker1 said:

How did you learn to use VWD? :) I've seen the youtube video of the seller but it was in french?

You can find good tutorials from biscuits over at renderosity in her freestuff.

smaker1 said:

As usual : manual (there are tutorials at the end), trials and errors, videos even in foreign language (stop, rewind,...), there are also videos made by biscuit or writer-block in english at the rendero dedicated forum and the creator is very helpful. Start with simple clothe, simple pose,... and after more complex clothes or poses.

I would say: there is a learning curve but the results are there (at least for me!). Just for the fun: 

Girl7-3 LR.jpg
    551 x 763 - 177K
    Uthgard said:

VWD creates a prop from the draped object and assigns morphs to the drape according to the frame in the sequence (that is, a morph for each frame in the animation that you simulated, and one morph for static drapes). Currently, there's no option to transfer those morphs to the original dress/hair/etc, although suppposedly it's one of the things being worked on for the incoming upgrade, but there's nothing stopping you from saving the draped prop.

That's good news. If I can save out as morphs for the original garment then it will be a huge plus from my point of view.

smaker1 said:

They are actually helpful, once you've familiarised yourself with the ui layout.

Take a look at the tutorials I did; I can't attest to their quality, but you may find them useful. (sorry about all the 'erms' in them though. sad)

• Would anyone mind showing step by step on how to get rid of the boob cling using VWD ? I have had this program for few weeks and can do pretty good with flowing parts but for some reason i cant get the area that clings to breast right. I seen it done i just dont know exactly what settings to use.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

What I prefer to do is to start with clothing that's not autofit -- I just place it, get it mostly right with minimal clipping, then let it settle. Possibly use elastic shrink to get it to pull a little tighter.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 2016

This a simple plane wrapped around k4 using the v w d plugin - unfortunately the exper gated thread in carrara forum had many useful tips that were relevant to studio as well as mr graphix 's question. 

image.jpg
    772 x 960 - 149K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • that image is what im trying to do. the boob cling is annoying.. ill keep trying

• mrgraphix said:

that image is what im trying to do. the boob cling is annoying.. ill keep trying

What do you mean by boob cling? Can you show an image?

• mrgraphix said:

that image is what im trying to do. the boob cling is annoying.. ill keep trying

What i mean is when you add a shirt or dress to any female character the clothing item clings to and around the breast. I bought all the fixers such as the Clothing Breast Fixes but still very noticable of clinging to much to breast. This image is an example of what i mean by boob cling.

!!!!!!.jpg
    468 x 890 - 283K
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

The problem is that the clothing is stuck between the boobs. Have you tried an animation with the boobs in a position that doesn't catch the cloth, and from there moving to your wanted position, so the cloth can actually move?

mrgraphix said:
    mrgraphix said:

What i mean is when you add a shirt or dress to any female character the clothing item clings to and around the breast. I bought all the fixers such as the Clothing Breast Fixes but still very noticable of clinging to much to breast. This image is an example of what i mean by boob cling.

Hello 

here is a very quick simu (2mn with scene creation) :clothe shirt made for V4 on G3F with large breasts: no "boob cling". I know there are troubles with the collar but that was not the purpose, let's say she just woke up :-). I'm far from my computer this sunday. Nota: the dynamic simulation give a more natural look for the sleeves

There are many roads to do it depending on the pose, the clothe, the character, that's the fun of it! What are the clothe and character you are using?

vwd.jpg
    692 x 793 - 94K

To compare with this standard fitting 

vwd2.jpg
    732 x 763 - 89K
  • smaker1 said:

Can you share how you did this step by step? :)

smaker1 said:

Can you share how you did this step by step? :)

If i can make time (which would be a neat skill), I'll do a quick vid.

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409

At Rendo the program is advertised as needing poser. Does it really need poser, or can it be used as a standalone, together with the DAZ-Bridge?

At Rendo the program is advertised as needing poser. Does it really need poser, or can it be used as a standalone, together with the DAZ-Bridge?

I dont have Poser.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited December 2016

You need the program for Poser AND the Daz Studio bridge to use in Daz Studio. The plugin for Poser is standalone in that it works independently of Poser but is made primarly as a plugin for it. When you add the DS bridge, it runs independently with the DS bridge for DS. You don't need Poser to run it.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • AllenArt said:

There was another one, but it was based on Unity and I don't recall the OP ever saying that it was going to be a commercial thing, just showing what they were working on. That doesn't mean they didn't say it, it just means I don't recall  them saying it. LOL I believe Kendall also said he has some physics thing in the works as well, but I'm not sure if it included cloth or not ;)

Laurie

Yes, I am working on a system.  It will do cloth.  However, there have been a few life and health issues that have hopped in the way the past few months.  What I am working on is a bit different from what vwd/optitex plugin does.

There are some exciting updates for other products coming first.

Kendall