Creating a Junkyard & Other Worn Out Items

One subject I like contains old things. I have a collection of old items from railroad cars and engines to a few old and new vehicles. I'm trying to figure a way to add authentic looking wear and tear to some scenes that call for it. I know how to dull the paint and change the colors, but two things are excaping me:

1- Adding realistic looking rust, etc to the finish. I have one old pickup with the "Klunker" add-ons, but can't figoure out how to do this with other items. Knowing this may help me add new designs and patterns to clothing as well (dresses, pants, footwear....).

2- Adding dents, I am yet to see a collection of old vehicles including railway equipment that doesn't have some items containing anywhere from a few dents to significant damage.

I know there is a pickup truck offered that has denting morphs, but that is only a single item - is there a cost effective (cheap) way to at least experiment with deforming surfaces if there is a way at all for pre-made items?

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

#2...Within Studio itself you can add d-formers to create dents. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158
    edited November 2016

For question #1, it depends partially on whether you are rendering with Iray or 3Delight. Maybe you can use some of these shaders for rust.

Iray:  A Touch of Dirt for Iray. Here is a thread about it with some examples of how I used the product.

This product works great in the released Daz Studio version 4.9.2.70.Daz broke this product in beta version 4.9.3.71, but Customer Service tells me it is fixed again in the latest beta version. I haven't tried that version yet.

3Delight: Grime-inizer. This is an old product and I don't own it, so I can't comment on how useful it is or whether it works in DS 4.9. There is also the more recent Daz Studio Dirt Shaders.

Post edited by barbult on
  • OK, thanks to mjc1016 and barbult! I'm still learning and didn't know about d-former or the 'A Touch of Dirt".

Here is a very old but still useful video about d-formers. It is how I learned the basics.

• barbult said:

<snip>

3Delight: Grime-inizer. This is an old product and I don't own it, so I can't comment on how useful it is or whether it works in DS 4.9. There is also the more recent Daz Studio Dirt Shaders.

Actually I discoverd that the Grime-inizer will work in Iray; providing that the object/item in question does not already have iray shaders on it. if it's an older item just apply the grime-inizer as you would any shader then just throw the iray uberbase shader on top and it works.

• I"m trying to read the online wiki for Dform and the pictures seem to be either dead links or the server is down.

docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/dform/dform_anatomy

Above is an example.....

waltn3mtj said:

I"m trying to read the online wiki for Dform and the pictures seem to be either dead links or the server is down.

Above is an example.....

Sadly, there is a lot of Daz documentation in that state. Many old tutorials have inaccessible images. It has been that way for a long time. I don't think it is temporary or a glitch.

• barbult said:
    waltn3mtj said:

I"m trying to read the online wiki for Dform and the pictures seem to be either dead links or the server is down.

Above is an example.....

Sadly, there is a lot of Daz documentation in that state. Many old tutorials have inaccessible images. It has been that way for a long time. I don't think it is temporary or a glitch.

Well, I'm glad to hear it isn't anything on my end, but sorry to hear something is broken on the DAZ end. I'm going to try to muddle through.

So far, I've managed to try a car and bend the entire car, not put any dents in yet by viewing the video you linked. I'm taking it a step at a time and once I get the entire video viewed, it should work as I want. Each step that is introduced, I work with until comfortable, then view a bit more.

• Here is all I have been able to accomplish so far..... All I wanted to do was test putting a small dent in the door. I used this one simply because it was already opened up for surface and lighting mods. I found that warping this moved the model, but the parented lights didn't follow the warping, no problem..... I can solve that simply enough. The lights follow the unwarped car just fine.

I'm sure somehow you can reduce the size that is affected, I'm not sure how yet.

BTW: I interrupted the rendering for the sake of time.

ARGH001.png
    1600 x 960 - 1M
    waltn3mtj said:

I'm sure somehow you can reduce the size that is affected, I'm not sure how yet.

Scale down the field.

• OK, I tried scaling down earlier, but the entire car scaled..... It's me, not the program!! I'm going back to see about scaling the field. I was installing some new material so it was getting a break.

• To be honest, I'm not even sure how I got this far! I'm going to have to repeat my trial and error until I find how I got this the first time... LOL Thanks for your help!!

edited November 2016

You need to have the Dformer_field item selected in the Scene tab to be able to scale it...and just the field.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • Thanks! I'm rendering a test of just the bottom of the driver's door having a small dent now. Can the dforms be cascaded? I'm looking to have some narrow dents/gouges in places within larger dents. I'm just trying to play with versitility......

Yes, you can set up more than one to cover a particular area.

edited November 2016

Here are some illustrations. It sounds like you have overcome this hurdle already, though. Congratulations! For more control over the shape of the D-Former, your next task is to learn weight mapping of D-Formers.

D-Former Field.jpg
    1867 x 1113 - 646K
    Translate D-Former.jpg
    1882 x 1168 - 670K
    D-Former Dented Car Door.jpg
    800 x 600 - 141K
  • waltn3mtjwaltn3mtj Posts: 112
    edited November 2016

Thanks for the encouragement! Your help confirms what I had to learn via trial and error even with the help of the video. I'm rendering a scene now with a car and 25 or more Dforms.....!! Just blame it on two crazy G3F figures. LOL

They "got hold" of my new Ranger SUV...... I just had it and them in a more reasonable scene so when it rendered, I let my imagination run wild. I discovered the Dforms can be placed on top of one another and dents can look very sharp like creases and folds put in the metal. I was happy to see that Dforms don't slow rendering down that I can tell. Here is a rough render, however. I'm doing one with customized lighting and more detail.

I'm now trying to learn about nodes and what the slider that appears in Dforms in the basic character menu below Transforms, etc. I also found a graph that can be altered, and haven't figured out what it is for yet. I need to put the video on another computer so I can view it (and others I'm downloading) whild that one is rendering. YouTube has a ton of good videos and some questionable ones.

EDIT: The next step is getting that Wrap Dress to fit the figure's form, there are no adjustments that help, body morphs will fit the dress, then make the boots not fit, or her head stick out the top of her hair, etc, etc, etc.... The video said that Dform can help there as well.

We Love Our New Roll Buddy - Rough 02.png
    1600 x 960 - 3M
    Post edited by waltn3mtj on
  • fictionalbookshelffictionalbookshelf Posts: 837
    edited November 2016

Here is a car set that I think might be helpful. I love it. It comes with Iray and 3Delight options

car wreck

Forgot to add that it has lots of individual pieces that you can put in anywhere in your scene. You can kit bash it so much more.

Post edited by fictionalbookshelf on
  • You can use layered image editor to add rust, dents, cracks, mold, slime and just about anything else over existing textures. L.I.E. works in both 3Delight and Iray. There are several tutorials on that.

Here is a car set that I think might be helpful. I love it. It comes with Iray and 3Delight options

car wreck

Forgot to add that it has lots of individual pieces that you can put in anywhere in your scene. You can kit bash it so much more.

That's a great junkyard find!
  • L. I. E. is my next goal to master. I put the Car Wreck in my Wish List so it's bookmarked that way. A little while ago I tried to make rust patches for some old cars that didn't work as expected, so I'll be looking for the tutorials. YouTube has a lot of good tutorials, just not enough time to look at them all!

edited November 2016
    waltn3mtj said:

Thanks for the encouragement! Your help confirms what I had to learn via trial and error even with the help of the video. I'm rendering a scene now with a car and 25 or more Dforms.....!! Just blame it on two crazy G3F figures. LOL

They "got hold" of my new Ranger SUV...... I just had it and them in a more reasonable scene so when it rendered, I let my imagination run wild. I discovered the Dforms can be placed on top of one another and dents can look very sharp like creases and folds put in the metal. I was happy to see that Dforms don't slow rendering down that I can tell. Here is a rough render, however. I'm doing one with customized lighting and more detail.

I'm now trying to learn about nodes and what the slider that appears in Dforms in the basic character menu below Transforms, etc. I also found a graph that can be altered, and haven't figured out what it is for yet. I need to put the video on another computer so I can view it (and others I'm downloading) whild that one is rendering. YouTube has a ton of good videos and some questionable ones.

EDIT: The next step is getting that Wrap Dress to fit the figure's form, there are no adjustments that help, body morphs will fit the dress, then make the boots not fit, or her head stick out the top of her hair, etc, etc, etc.... The video said that Dform can help there as well.

You've done a great job! You can save the deform as a support asset/morph asset so you can apply it again the next time you load the Ranger. Like any morph,if it is dialed to 0, it won't have an effect and you'll still have a pristine car. Then dial it up for your beat up one. Edit: spawn the morph from the Dform pane and then save it.
  • Thanks for the good word! Would the morphs also save with the car as Sub-Presets (I think that's the term) for merging later? Also, I see an Influence slider, but it doesn't do anything, what am I missing? I'm hoping to add a lot of Dforms that can be dialed up as you say when I want. Thanks for confirming that they can be saved. I've added head, tail, fog, and interior lights to it so I can simply merge it in and hope to add light to the side markers shortly.

One other thing I want to do is to learn about Nodes. the online help is a little sketchy in places, so I'm not sure of everything yet.

Are you talking about Scene Subset? I'm not sure how successful that would be for saving the Dforms with your car. I haven't tried it, but I've heard of problems just saving and reloading a scene. Spawning and saving a morph has been reliable for me.
  • Scene Subset, that's it. I've saved figures, cars with custom paint and lights added with no issues as Scene Subsets - as long as they are parented (I often forget). But I"m not sure what should be saved differently. Another thing I have to remember is to save them at 'zero' settings! I have noticed that you have to open the full menu for the item and select everything you want to save. I now need to read up on spawning a morph. I saw that in Dform, but haven't used it for lack of knowing what it does or how to use it. I also want to read up on Nodes. Every time I open the program and try something new it is like being a kid on a candy store.

I'm not sure what "Nodes" you mean, but I'm glad you are having fun!

• Nodes is the one in the Dform tab. I put a Dform Tab in the top right area where the Aux Viewport, etc goes. You may do Dforms differently, and don't see the Nodes options. I've never felt the need to use them yet, but I'm curious as to what they do and if they help make things more natural.

I figure having fun is the best way to learn!

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

Not sure how useful it would be to you, but my Everyday Junk has mixed junk, including metal sheets, a dumpster, car tyre and bicycle wheel. It might be good for filling out the scene.

http://www.daz3d.com/everyday-junk

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

I have a short example of using D-former here. Uses a weight map for adjusting a landscape instead of a car but the steps are basically the same.

• PlantPlant Posts: 107

Dry jack has three sets of rusty junk things in the free stuff at Renderosity might be useful