Daz Iray Renderer unable to render. No renderer available

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

The chain of events that led to this split went this way:

1 - When DS4 came out originally there was a combined installer with the application and all the content.  This was on the order of 700MB.  Whenever either the application or the content ws updated, you had to redownload the whole thing.  Naturally there were complaints.

2 - The content was split from the application and called "Genesis Starter Essentials", so you only had to download the part that was changed.

3 - When Daz developed the DSON Importer for Poser, another problem became apparent:  some of the content in "Genesis Starter Essentials" could now be used in Poser with the DSON Importer, but some of it was specifically for Daz Studio, such as the Uber lights and shaders.  People who just wanted to use Genesis in Poser were annoyed that they had this extra baggage; similarly, people who just wanted to use DS and weren't interested in Genesis and the other content were annjoyed because they needed this huge package when all they really wanted were the lights and shaders.

4 - Daz split the DS lights and shaders out of the content package and called it "Default Lights and Shaders for Daz Studio", so that both of the groups would only have to download the part they wanted.

5 - As development progressed, it became apparent that combining true DS/Poser content and true plugins in one package could cause a lot of issues.

Some of the characteristics of true content are:

-- it sits in your content folder, which you can call whatever you want and can put pretty much anywhere you want, such as on a different partition or hard drive

-- you can have more than one content folder, and in most cases you can install content in any of them and it works regardless of which one you install it in

-- if you know what you're doing, you can even rename and reorganize the user-facing files

-- people who install content manually can just download a zip file and drop the files into their content folder

Some of the characteristics of true plugins are:

-- it has no user-facing files

-- it has to go in a particular place such as appdata

-- the exact folder structure and filenames are critical and can't be tampered with

-- installing them isn't just a matter of dropping the files into a location, so they have to be packed in an installer which can perform logical operations while installing the files (whether the installer is DIM or a stand-alone installer for a single product.

Some products get pretty complicated because they include both plugins and content, for example Measure Metrics has separate packages for the plugin part (called Measure Metrics) and the user-facing files (called Figure Metrics).

Having a public beta which can be installed alongside the general release highlights some of the issues -- the public beta and the general release have separate plugin and settings folders, but they can share the same content folders (they don't have to, but with hundreds of MB of content you wouldn't want them to be forced to have their own separate content folders).

Of course, this puts you in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.  Having everything you need in one package is simpler, especially for someone who is new to it all, but it's inconvenient for people who might not want all the pieces, and it creates a lot of technical issues, wasting developer time that could be better spent improving the product.  There's a reason modular software design and object-oriented programming exist.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Not sure the history is relevant, especially as it pertains to Poser users or character content like Genesis Essentials, which is not a required component. Software grows and improves, or else why bother.

It simply comes down to this: In every Iray post where the poster frustratingly complain that they can't find the shaders and presets they read about here, they're told to download and install an extra file. Therefore, it's a mandatory file, and should be part of the default setup.

The average user shouldn't have to encounter these kinds of roadblocks so early on. Other software publishers, such as Microsoft or Adobe, have no issue with including content with the installation. For example, their installers offer a chance to select Default or Custom; the installer is intelligent enough to know if there's another version or build on the machine, and so on. These tasks are now fairly standard, and expected, as a way to encourage broader adoption of the software among a larger group of users. 

• Hello i have the same problem.... with DS 4.8 my Iray works fine, but after update 4.9 with DIM ... not works, show the next message

Unable to rrenderer. no renderer available.

I tested install manually, unpdate graphic card Quadro 4000, but the problem continue... whats happend? 

Where is the problem? Please i need help... Thanks

• I don´t know to do it...angry

I need help please

Thanks again

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,075
    edited February 2017

Not quite the same problem, but the same solution in all probability - update your driver, the version of Iray in 4.9.3.166 requires at least 372.x - if you are a Mac user, install CUDA 8 (in Windows the drivers do that).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • thank you ,, i m win10 user,,, and my driver graphic card nvidia actually is 372.95....

¿?¿?

• thank you ,, i m win10 user,,, and my driver graphic card nvidia actually is 372.95....

¿?¿?

Maybe try updating to an even newer version - 372.x was not, as I recall, an official statement but just what people were finding. It's also possible for a driver update to appear successful but not quite replace the older version, which might be enough to block Iray - uninstalling the driver entirely and reinstalling should fix that.

• In fact there is official word http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1970141/#Comment_1970141 so it may be worth uninstaling the driver, rebooting (which will use the default Windows driver), and reisntalling the nVidia driver just to be safe.

• thanks a lot.. i will try that... i ´ll say what is result... :-)

• It's been pointed out to me that the version of iray in DS 4.9.3.166 (Iray 2016.3) has a minimum requirement for Quadro cards of the Fermi achitecture, the Quadro 4000 is pre-fermi and therefore no longer supported by Iray. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

https://developer.nvidia.com/iray-sdk
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#Quadro_x000_series

• I tried that and the problem continues...

But, i dont understand, my card graphics is the same Quadro 4000 with the DS 4.8 ( work fine ) and with the version 4.9 of DS dont working

Its possibel downgrade version DS 4.9 to 4.8 ?

Thanks again

• DS 4.9 uses a considerablt newer version of Iray, hence the support for Pascal cards, and the older chips (Maxwell?) have apparently been dropped from the supported hardware range.

Unless you kept the installer for 4.8 then I'm afraid there isn't a way to downgrade.

• Hi there I am having a similar issue, I'm new to daz .

im working out slowly and enjoying it . 

But I can't render anything it says the renderer is unavailable. 

Can any one help me out I'm using mac ???? 

• As I always when starting Daz Studio I got the message that PostgreSQL was not installed (although actually it was, because Daz Connect worked properly), I newly installed it, with the consequence that SmartContent and Content Library didn't show any files or products anymore. Files which I opened via Files>Open however, opened without problems, so principially everything was at the right place. After this, because I was very frustrated not to find anything of my products, I uninstalled and newly installed everything, that means the entire product library incl. Daz Studio 4.9 via Install Manager. Now everything works - except the Iray render engine.
    I can use 3Delight, but Iray always comes with the message:
    "DzIrayRenderer unable to render. No renderer available."

I use DS pro 4.9, 64bit,  Windows 7

Are there any suggests to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance.

Hi did you get your working help pls ????

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453

I'm having a similar problem "Unable to render. No renderer available." Specs:

Win 10 Home 64bit, Core i7 4770K

GTX 1060 6GB, driver 398.11 (This is now the latest, it was a previous rev before this problem started.)

DS 4.9.4.117 64 bit

Background: I've been rendering in iRay with this config since 7.15.2017 with no major problems. My last successful render was 5.15.2018. I was away from rendering a while, and when I came back to it, Bzzzt. Things I have tried: reboot from full shut down, update NVIDIA driver, uninstall and reinstall NVIDIA driver, uninstall and reinstall DS 4.9, roll back last Windows update.

Render Settings > Advanced does not show a GPU option, but the About your video card shows everything normal. 3Delight works fine, iRay does not. Any suggestions?

• You could try using 4.10. I don't know what could cause a card to suddenly not be seen - I assume you've tried rolling back to an older driver?

You could try using 4.10. I don't know what could cause a card to suddenly not be seen - I assume you've tried rolling back to an older driver?

I was on an older driver before this started.

Can 4.10 and 4.9x co-exist, or do I have to let it clobber 4.9? Does 4.10 insist on having CMS running, because I never ran it on 4.9. I always uninstall CMS.

Another bit of data: I ran GPU-Z, which shows no problems with the card. I can run the NVIDIA demo "A new Dawn" which seriously thrashes the card while it is running. GPU-Z shows the card kicking into high gear and then calming back down after exiting the Dawn demo. (BTW, I made a version of that outfit for the Daz Morphing Fantasy Dress!)

• You could try using 4.10. I don't know what could cause a card to suddenly not be seen - I assume you've tried rolling back to an older driver?

Can 4.10 and 4.9x co-exist, or do I have to let it clobber 4.9? Does 4.10 insist on having CMS running, because I never ran it on 4.9. I always uninstall CMS.

You could use the beta for testing purposes. 4.10 has th same requirements with respect to the CMS as 4.9, as far as I know - that is, it will complain about the lack of a connection on launch.

One other thing on my timeline. I generally don't shut the computer down all the way, I put it into sleep mode when I leave and wake it up when I come back. On May 31, I shut it down completely as I was going away for the weekend. So that means there was one cold reboot in between my last iRay render and the no renderer available message. I'm thinking some registry key got corrupted, and won't fix itself with another cold reboot. Since I already uninstalled DS 4.9 and reinstalled once, I think I'tt try uninstalling it again, then search the Windoze registry for DAZ Studio keys and delete them. This might get tricky, because I have some older DS3 plugins that might have their own keys. I can then reinstall 4.9 and see if it is fixed. Failing that, I'll try 4.10. More fighting with the computer tonight...

Does DAZ Studio store any special information somewhere other than the registry, like %AppData% or %ProgramData%?

You could try using 4.10. I don't know what could cause a card to suddenly not be seen - I assume you've tried rolling back to an older driver?

You could use the beta for testing purposes. 4.10 has th same requirements with respect to the CMS as 4.9, as far as I know - that is, it will complain about the lack of a connection on launch.

Installing 4.10 was no help. Still broken.

• DS stores some information in %AppData%/Daz 3D/Studio4. Deleting registry keys can cause issues in itself, though, so be wary there.

Latest attempt: Physically remove the GTX 1060, install some old junk video card. Uninstall NVIDIA driver, uninstall DS4.10, remove %AppData%/Daz 3D/Studio4 folder.

Reinstall video card, reinstall NVIDIA driver (an older one, 388.71), reinstall DS 4.10. No luck. When DS launches, the splash screen changes to show an Iray logo in the corner after it loads the Iray dll, so it is doing that. From the log, all the dll's load OK. About Installed Plugins is normal, About Your Video Card is still normal.

I have submitted ticket # 273777.

The only response I got to this was telling me the PostgreSQL CMS was not running and that I needed to reinstall and run it. It has already been established that CMS is *not* required to run the tool and render. CMS has nothing to do with whether or not the render engine works. I can take a Daz primitive sphere, apply an Iray shader to it, and the render engine fails to start. If they close this ticket without fixing the problem, I may just ask for a refund on all the Iray specific content I've purchased. This is very frustrating. It's been 4 days and no response from Customer Support.

• areg5areg5 Posts: 617

Did you clean your registry?

areg5 said:

Did you clean your registry?

Yes, but it wasn't entirely clear what to remove. I thought I removed everything related to Iray and Studio4. When I uninstalled the Nvidia driver, I used the DDU, Display Driver Uninstaller which is supposed to remove all the driver items. The Daz Studio parts are not so clear. I also have DS3 running that I don't want to break.

• areg5areg5 Posts: 617
    edited June 2018

Maybe you should try something like CCleaner.  It can delete all unused regestry items.

Post edited by areg5 on
  • Deleting the wrong registry keys might well break things (or have broken them in the first place).

It broke first, before I changed anything. Reinstalling the software should have setup anything the tool needed to be able to render. Everything works fine, except Iray.