Daz Iray Renderer unable to render. No renderer available

As I always when starting Daz Studio I got the message that PostgreSQL was not installed (although actually it was, because Daz Connect worked properly), I newly installed it, with the consequence that SmartContent and Content Library didn't show any files or products anymore. Files which I opened via Files>Open however, opened without problems, so principially everything was at the right place. After this, because I was very frustrated not to find anything of my products, I uninstalled and newly installed everything, that means the entire product library incl. Daz Studio 4.9 via Install Manager. Now everything works - except the Iray render engine.
I can use 3Delight, but Iray always comes with the message:
"DzIrayRenderer unable to render. No renderer available."

I use DS pro 4.9, 64bit,  Windows 7

Are there any suggests to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• As I always when starting Daz Studio I got the message that PostgreSQL was not installed (although actually it was, because Daz Connect worked properly), I newly installed it, with the consequence that SmartContent and Content Library didn't show any files or products anymore. Files which I opened via Files>Open however, opened without problems, so principially everything was at the right place. After this, because I was very frustrated not to find anything of my products, I uninstalled and newly installed everything, that means the entire product library incl. Daz Studio 4.9 via Install Manager. Now everything works - except the Iray render engine.
    I can use 3Delight, but Iray always comes with the message:
    "DzIrayRenderer unable to render. No renderer available."

I use DS 4.9 64bit, windows 7 64bit

Are there any suggests to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

What video card and what are your render settings?

What does the log file say when starting up (Help > Troubleshooting > View Log)...if you open Studio, view the log and with the log open, hit ctl-a > delete it will clear the log and then Save.  Then close Studio and reopen it...then take the log from that.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

Have you accidently unchecked the CPU or GPU in the Advanced render engine tab?

• Merged threads - please don't start multiple threads on the same topic, if you want to move the thread to another forum edit the first post.

• "please don't start multiple threads on the same topic,"

Sorry for that! And thank you for the quick respond.

No, CPU was checked, for GPU was no option in the setting paneel.

I add the settings and the log file

My graphic card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti, the RAM is 16 GB, and til yesterday there were no problems with Iray

Iray render settings.png
    1920 x 1450 - 312K
    txt
    txt
    log file after starting DS.txt
  • To Richard Hasseltine:

Please be so kind to move this discussion to the former place (nuts and bolts) because obviously nobody finds me here. And all responds were sent from there!

Thanks,

What is the driver version for your video card?

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

In addition to checking out the driver, be sure to take the easy route first by completgely restarting your machine (turn it off, then back on; don't do a simple reboot). 

For whatever reason, D|S is not seeing your card. This can happen if the driver crashes -- there doesn't have to be a visible error. Restarting your shstem can correct this.

Tip: To troubleshoot issues like this, create a simple scene with a primitive sphere. Give it a plastic Iray surface. The single geometry and simple material will make your troubleshooting log a lot easier to read.

• It's  8.17.12.8562

• To Tobor: I did as you said but without success.

I made a simple scene and tried an iray rendering. I add the logfile.

txt
    txt
    logfile 2.txt

This driver version is 5 yrs old...try updating the driver.

• I tried, there is no newer one. The computer is also 5 years old. But it does it's job.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

I tried, there is no newer one. The computer is also 5 years old. But it does it's job.

Look for newer drivers here:  http://www.geforce.com/drivers

edited November 2016

Where did you look?

Is this a laptop, by any chance?

This current thread has driver updating info...

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/125696/updating-nvidea-driver#latest

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • I visited the geforce site and yes, indeed they found a new driver - thanks, Fixmypcmike. But by that way they flooded my C-partition by 1.3 GB of dozens of programs I didn't ask for angry. However, I restarted the machine, started DS... - no difference, alas. crying

After updating the driver, did you look to see if the card is showing up in the Advanced Render Settings?

• No, only CPU!

only CPU.png
    1920 x 1450 - 543K
  • Gentlemen, I have to go to sleep now. Thanks for your your help so far. Obviously Tobor is right - DS cannot see the card. But why it did yesterday and refuses today, I have no idea.

It still sees the card...that much is evident in the log file.  It's just not recognizing it as a valid device.  But it should still render with CPU, so there is more going on.

mjc1016 said:

It still sees the card...that much is evident in the log file.  It's just not recognizing it as a valid device.  But it should still render with CPU, so there is more going on.

Yes, but not as a CUDA device, only OpenGL. OP: this suggests there's still something wrong with the driver, or D|S is not loading with the module that allows for GPU rendering. The usual troubleshooting steps are:

1. Do a system rollback to a date before the problem occured. 

2. Attempt to update the driver one more time.

3. Try reinstalling D|S.

• mutawakkelmutawakkel Posts: 15
    edited November 2016

1. Do a system rollback to a date before the problem occured. 

2. Attempt to update the driver one more time.

3. Try reinstalling D|S.

Number One was no option because I had lost some important software configurations. Number Two I skipped. So we come to Number Three.

I did it 3 times.

First attempt had no effect.

So I deleted the IM's DS 4.9 install package and downloaded it newly. After installation I saw that the IM had installed DS to my content folder. Iray still didn't work.

I uninstalled it again to install it manually this time. Now it works!

I don't really know if that was the problem, but:

On the product library page with DS 4.9 there is a file named "Default Resources" which has to be installed separately and which contains several stuff around Iray (scripts etc.). Maybe this is not installed if you do the installation via IM?

However, now everything works fine and my thanks go to all who helped with hints.

default resources.png
    1920 x 1450 - 327K
    Post edited by mutawakkel on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

It would show up in DIM as a separat pack for installation. Have you checked that?

• To Bee:

Now I saw it. But that's the point, you have to know it when you are going to install DS via IM.

At the other hand, what keeps me unsure if that really was the reason for all that trouble is the first re-installation 2 days ago, when I reinstalled my entire product library - ergo with that "default" package among.

edited November 2016

Glad it works now.

It still amuses me that we need to install a separate package to fully use the default renderer. Either include the package in the standard install, or make 3DL the default. 

Post edited by Tobor on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited November 2016

They separated the application from the content for the application.  When you "buy" DS, you get a bundle of a lot of items, so it can be confusing figuring out which ones are mandatory (the application itself, PostgreSQL CMS, and the Default Resources).  Default Resources includes both Iray and 3Delight items.

Post edited by fixmypcmike on

They separated the application from the content for the application.  When you "buy" DS, you get a bundle of a lot of items, so it can be confusing figuring out which ones are mandatory (the application itself, PostgreSQL CMS, and the Default Resources).  Default Resources includes both Iray and 3Delight items.

I don't buy this reasoning. Separating it causes unnecessary support interaction, as clearly demonstrated in the dozens upon dozens of threads that involve this shortcoming. Support costs money. I imagine Daz gets far more private support tickets for this than we see in the forums. If the response to the support ticket is always to install the content, why not just include it as part of the base install? Doesn't make sense to me. There may be a rationale for separating application and base-level content, but it's not a logical one. It's like buying a new car that doesn't have any seats, because you get to choose the type and color. You sort of expect basic seats to be .there, either way.

edited November 2016
    Tobor said:

I don't buy this reasoning. Separating it causes unnecessary support interaction, as clearly demonstrated in the dozens upon dozens of threads that involve this shortcoming. Support costs money. I imagine Daz gets far more private support tickets for this than we see in the forums. If the response to the support ticket is always to install the content, why not just include it as part of the base install? Doesn't make sense to me. There may be a rationale for separating application and base-level content, but it's not a logical one. It's like buying a new car that doesn't have any seats, because you get to choose the type and color. You sort of expect basic seats to be .there, either way.

Take a look at the package sizes for the included content...and then you can see where they are coming from.  Now should that include ALL the included content...that's open for debate.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • Yes, as far as I know file size was the main issue - the content generally gets far fewer updates than the application so it makes sense, from both Daz' and the users' point of view (especially users with metered accounts) to split content and application.

The package size for the content I'm talking about is 38 MB, hardly a deal breaker. I think people understand that to get the base *characters* they'd need to downlolad and install a separate package for that. But you shouldn't need to just "know" you need to separarely install a package that already has the name "Default" in it. If it's default, it should be included by default, even if it's also separately available in case it should need a refresh on its own.

Or maybe my sense of logic is just different from everyone else's. 

Tobor said:

The package size for the content I'm talking about is 38 MB, hardly a deal breaker. I think people understand that to get the base *characters* they'd need to downlolad and install a separate package for that. But you shouldn't need to just "know" you need to separarely install a package that already has the name "Default" in it. If it's default, it should be included by default, even if it's also separately available in case it should need a refresh on its own.

Or maybe my sense of logic is just different from everyone else's. 

Not that I disagree with you Tobor, but it seems once they started breaking it up, it was decided to do all of it.