Nov. 2016 New User 3D Art Contest - Materials (WIP thread)

12346»

Comments

• I couldn't help myself and added a new character in last night. This is starting to look like Mass Effect meets Half-Life, meets Star Wars, meets Shadowrun, meets Gold Digger, meets Fallout, meets Deus Ex.

nov2016-2j.png
    1031 x 872 - 2M
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

I couldn't help myself and added a new character in last night. This is starting to look like Mass Effect meets Half-Life, meets Star Wars, meets Shadowrun, meets Gold Digger, meets Fallout, meets Deus Ex.

But it is telling a great story and much more interesting than when there was only the 1 character.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

I couldn't help myself and added a new character in last night. This is starting to look like Mass Effect meets Half-Life, meets Star Wars, meets Shadowrun, meets Gold Digger, meets Fallout, meets Deus Ex.

I think it looks more like them all comming together for common goal!!!!

• daybirddaybird Posts: 645

Next and maybe last try for this month. I have changed the position of the camera a bit.

Also soften the skin of the dryade to make her look more feminin.

Ohh and I have loaded the Charmhair in Gimp and change the color in green tones. ( Hope I don't have broke any copyright rules with that. )

Dryade.jpg
    1800 x 1200 - 1M
  • Here we go with version k of this. I think that this will be the last I do on it because adding the new guy almost maxed my memory.

nov2016-2k.png
    1031 x 872 - 2M
  • I think that this will be it on this one as well, version g.

nov2016g.png
    1031 x 872 - 2M
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780
    daybird said:

Next and maybe last try for this month. I have changed the position of the camera a bit.

Also soften the skin of the dryade to make her look more feminin.

Ohh and I have loaded the Charmhair in Gimp and change the color in green tones. ( Hope I don't have broke any copyright rules with that. )

I liek the new camera position better and the barky skin woks a swell like this, the face is still recognisable as a face. There is something strange blue an her leg on the tree, could be you turend the shadow colour to a blue? was probably a bit too much. By the way cou can alter hair colour even within the program changing Diffuse/Specular and ambient channel colours.

• daybirddaybird Posts: 645
    edited November 2016
    Linwelly said:
    daybird said:
    I liek the new camera position better and the barky skin woks a swell like this, the face is still recognisable as a face. There is something strange blue an her leg on the tree, could be you turend the shadow colour to a blue? was probably a bit too much. By the way cou can alter hair colour even within the program changing Diffuse/Specular and ambient channel colours.

Ähh, the blue on her right leg is a flower, that I placed near the camera, or what do you mean?

Post edited by Chohole on

Yay I finally got my issues with Daz Connect worked out!!!

So I will be back very soon with my first render!!!!!

daybird said:
    Linwelly said:
    daybird said:

Ähh, the blue on her right leg is a flower, that I placed near the camera, or what do you mean?

Gosh I need glasses... yes now I recognise it as a flower blush so I take back my comment about blueish shadows cool

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited November 2016

So I did some more changes and realize that I am runnign out of time lol.  This month really flew by!

Frozen sisters 2.png
    2040 x 1632 - 8M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    edited November 2016

Well finally my first WIP will work on it some more tomorrow but wanted to show you all my first shot at it and see what you all think about what should be fixed.

Done in Daz studio in IRay about 92% still a bit grainy but this is just a quick render to show you all my concept.

Redid all the clothing and the bike with shaders and changed the colors of them I am going to work on the rest of the materials on furnature and the house etc.....

Sandy and Bethany Kyle Arguement over X-Mas.png
    800 x 494 - 904K
    Post edited by Saphirewild on

Remember: Last day to finish your work everybody!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited November 2016

Aaargh. Shouldn't have procrastinated.  Here, I managed to change the skin surface of the elemental, and the material for the pants.  I also managed to change the camera angle and the aspect ratio of the render, which turned out to be quite a chore.  I coudn't figure out why the width seemed to be locked, LOL. Eventually managed it.  Never did figure out how to do the lights before I ran out of time.  Oh, well, hope to improve more next month.  Appreciate the help.

EDIT:  Kismet and Linwelly, I did see the links.  Thank you.  I will definitely go through the prior threads and look at the product, just didn't do it in time for this month.

Update Pulp DS Render.jpg
    1097 x 1200 - 650K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited November 2016

Well, I did manage to create and position a couple of spot lights.  This will have to do for this month.

Update Pulp DS Render 2.jpg
    1097 x 1200 - 407K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Still a few hours left to get your entries in!

A few comments on those that have yet to be added to the Entries Thread...

Saphirewild: I'd think about changing the lighting a bit...some stronger shadows might help to add to the depth and drama of the image. As far as the materials go, I think you've got a lot of variety of different types of surfaces. I like what you did with the clothing. The firepit and stucco materials look good, too. The metallic parts of the bicycle could perhaps use a little work; also you might consider playing with the bump, displacement, and/or normal maps and settings of the brick and grass surfaces.

Shinji Ikari 9th: Your images have come a long way! On the corridor image: the lights look great and so do the metal parts in the foreground. If you have time for another version, I'd think about adding some roughness to the floor, and aside from that, maybe try to play with the main character's expression (probably a challenge given the unusual morph). On the other one (Mass Effect, etc.): it's an interesting story and I think I agree with you that it's probably ready to move to the Entries Thread.

sueya: You're making some really nice progress! Honestly, at this point I think you'll see more benefit from adjusting your scene lighting in order to really bring life to those materials than by further tweaking the surfaces themselves. Is this a 3Delight render? If so, try adding a distant light with shadows enabled. Make sure your beach backdrop isn't blocking any of your lights.

dracorn: hope you found time to finish up your project as the set was looking really good!

dHandle: really good start...might be interesting to play with the overall composition and add some assymmetry, either by adjusting the camera or adding/altering lights or scene elements.

Great work this month, everyone! I know there were others I missed...if you have finished your work, please don't forget to post it here: 

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/123946/nov-2016-new-user-3d-art-contest-materials-entries-thread

• I ended up finishing at the last minute and there are problems with the image, but, overall, it didn't turn out too badly.  I ended up using some clay shaders on Pickles and Peaches as they gave a nice toon effect to the two of them.  Different colored shaders for different surfaces.  I used LineRender9000 in 3Delight and composited in Gimp 2.9 Beta.  I've been having fun playing with LineRender9000.  I'm amazed at everything I can do with it.

I did not do well keeping up with the thread this month.  I'm going to have to go catch up on about 60 posts.  

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

Where did the month of November go? I didn't even get started... But judging from the relatively few posts in this wip thread and "only" 10 entries it seems I wasn't the only one with time trouble this month. And now that I've caught up with everything in this thread, there's some great WIPs I'm not seeing in the entry thread. DAZ really should start selling "more time in the month". That'd be a bestseller!

Good luck everyone that got your entries in!

I was not able to get my revised addition fixed in time :(

But best of luck to those that did!!!

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited December 2016

It's great to see the ways in which everyone's renders are evolving, and I really appreciate the variety of genre's being explored. 

@Knittingmommy - I'm looking forward to see what you create for your characters. Do you usually work with your characters first before you create the set, or is it just dependent on what aspect of your modeling and rendering is most important at the time? I'm also trying to work up to working with the shader mixer but it seems pretty daunting. Would you be able to share a little bit of how you are using it?

@TheFaxMisher  I finally had a chance to get caught up with this thread.  I wanted to make sure I answered this.  Sorry it is so late.  This past month has been brutal with computer problems which I hope is all finally all sorted out for the moment.  I barely even managed to get my entry done.

As to what I work on first, it varies.  For some renders, I start out just because I want to try out using a great new character or an old one that is new to me.  With all of the RDNA products that merged over I've picked up quite a few great older products.  Some of which were poser only so redoing them in DS really fit the theme of materials for this month's contest.  A lot of the materials that came with them were in a Poser materials format that DS couldn't read so I had to look up how to convert them into something that DS could read.  In the end, I ended up using a 3Delight shader that was actually meant for something else.  It just worked to get the look I wanted to try and achieve.  I'm still struggling to figure out the Shader Mixer, but it has gotten better.  Just not in time to finish the contest.

For a lot of other images, I'm inspired by a set or I'm trying to emulate a photo that I've seen.  You just have to leave yourself open to the possibilities and figure out how to do things that inspire you.  That being said, I usually work on things separately in Scene subsets, like characters in one subset, scenes in another and so on and then I bring them all together in a final scene.  Doing it this way tends to keep me focused on what I'm doing and I can use the work I've done on characters in a scene subset in other projects later if they are in their own scene subset.  I've done a lot of renders with the Plushies and I have them all in their own subset with all their new Iray skins that I worked on.  Now, I can pop them into a new scene and I don't have to redo all of their skins all over again unless I want to change things up a little.

I hope that all makes sense.

Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • sueyasueya Posts: 825
    edited January 2017

Here is the final version of my image. I switched off the light that was causing the skin glow and the depth of field.

Post edited by sueya on