Nov. 2016 New User 3D Art Contest - Materials (WIP thread)

Comments

• ShimrianShimrian Posts: 475
    edited November 2016

daybird - What is in the tree?  A goblin?  surprise  Maybe you can add a lightsource from moonlight (as distant light with low intensity)?

I'm also having issues with lights, I don't fully understand iray and have switched back to 3Delight until I figure it out.  I'm not so happy with the how the lighting right now, but I still have 3 weeks to figure it out.  :)

I just reinstalled things on my computer with latest version after maybe 2012?  I was a beginner and took a long break and am coming back and trying to learn everything again.  :)

I've started with my project with Genensis 2, JaguarHair (with photoshop to change hair color to blue/pink) and the background (pergola, aka shaded haven) is from gen2 starter essentials.  I changed the surface (diffuse color) of the recesswall from the clay color to more grayish stone (using photoshop) and gen2 is wearing an elven dress (not edited yet).

I figure I'll add something to the WIP to get early feedback on materials, but I do hope to make lots of changes before the end of the month as I reacquaint myself with Daz Studio.

Gen2 figure with shaded haven backdrop

TheFaxMisher -  It might be nice to add short hair to your cat in the chair.  I recall doing a tutorial for fur on mil cat, but all the searches I come up with are returning a 404.  It would be nice to find it, but unfortunately, I can't find it.  I was able to find: http://www.furrythings.com/presets/ (search for DAZ Millennium Cat).  Maybe that can help?

Materials_01.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • social_stigmasocial_stigma Posts: 107
    edited November 2016

Several versions later (and still working on it) ...

at night 4.jpg
    724 x 938 - 690K
    Post edited by social_stigma on
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 648
    daybird said:

So this is my first trial with a free texture as skin for the dryad. I have also use the bump and refraction lever, to make her skin look rough.

I'm not so pleased with the light at this point. My biggest problem is the point light, that i have placed in the camp fire. I set the intensity to 200% but it's nearly not visible.

Puhh, I hope my english is not to hard to read and I do not confuse the reader with it.

Are you using 3Delight or Iray to render with? 

I use Iray, even if I have a conceivably bad system for it.
    Just an i3-2100CPU 3.10GHz, 8GB RAM, with an AMD HD6450 card.
    Since I have no Nvidia card, this picture has taken at 65% quality still 2 hours.

Hi everyone. I stopped the render 3.5 hours in on this image, so it's not quite complete. I'm using Reality 4 on a 2015 Macbook pro with 16G of memory, an SSD, a 2.5 GHz i7, and an AMD Radeon R9 370x with 2 gigs of memory to render. The cat, the chair, and the wall paper all have SSS on them - although I don't really know how to select the right SSS for a surface yet. 

I've been using Daz for about 3 months now, and I find I really like scene construction and morphing and posing figures - but I'm really strugglng with learning about textures, materials, and shaders. I'm hoping to create content for Daz in the future, so in order to have saleable products, I know I need to work on modifying and creating surfaces. I've been learning on my own, watching and reading tutorials, but I know I need some real human feedback. So here's my WIP for the materials contest.

Nice effect with the mirroring in the window, but I would add some blur for the road and the coat of the cat looks more like a solid glitter cover. ;)

• NattSmoothNattSmooth Posts: 3
    edited November 2016

Hello everyone. I decided to learn a little about converting materials from 3DL to Iray.

I took a 3DL environment and vehicle and I am converting each surface to Iray shaders (the girl was using Iray materials already). The walls and few other things still look strange but I wanted to get some feedback after rendering it for the first time. So here it is. What do you think?

1r.jpg
    960 x 540 - 123K
    Post edited by NattSmooth on
  • Here's a new idea that hit me while I was trying to get some sleep this evening. I'll have to go back and see if I can find some more places I can use as light sources to try and get some more light in there, but heck it's about 0120 in the morning here so here it is for feed back, and I'm going to try again to get back to sleep. Night all.

nov2016-2a.png
    1031 x 872 - 1M
  • Shimrian said:

TheFaxMisher -  It might be nice to add short hair to your cat in the chair.  I recall doing a tutorial for fur on mil cat, but all the searches I come up with are returning a 404.  It would be nice to find it, but unfortunately, I can't find it.  I was able to find: http://www.furrythings.com/presets/ (search for DAZ Millennium Cat).  Maybe that can help?

Thanks for the suggestion Shimrian. I already had the LAMH player downloaded, so after I downloaded the 2 cat presets, I was ready to go. After trying both the short and long fur presets on a different cat and fiddling with the surfaces for a bit, I decided to try it on the cat in the scene I'm working on. 

Crash. After trying a few more times, I figured there was too much geometry for my CPU to consider. So I learned how to use the 'edit geometry' tool and deleted almost everything not in the scene - which wasn't a whole lot. Still, Im alot more aware of memory issues when I'm constructing a scene now. Lesson learned. 

Anyways, the LAMH presets aren't editable unless you buy the actual program, so after rendering both fur presets and not being able to edit them at all (I can't seem to even effect the surface properties) I'm not going to use the presets. If I had the rest of the software, I'd do more with it.

But I have Girabaldi, so I started working with it. After a long day and night, I've got something approaching 'good enough to show.' I changed the scene slightly for compositional reasons, and I'm redoing the lighting, plus due to my system limitations I figure I'll break the scene into two different renders and then make a composite image. I'll render the cat and the chair in the first, and then the interior wall with the window, and the background. 

I could also use some suggestions on how to create daylight streaming through the window (without Godrays as I'm rendering in 3Delight.)

Here's the latest render.

Materialcat.jpg
    1340 x 761 - 419K
  • Here's a new idea that hit me while I was trying to get some sleep this evening. I'll have to go back and see if I can find some more places I can use as light sources to try and get some more light in there, but heck it's about 0120 in the morning here so here it is for feed back, and I'm going to try again to get back to sleep. Night all.

Here's version b of this one. I went in and applied an emisive seting to the roof peaces to try and light things up a bit, but still keep the feeling of the lights being off for a breafing.

nov2016-2b.png
    1031 x 872 - 2M
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    kanegs said:

Almost every scene I render I make some material changes.

Is the below image within the scope of this contest? Or are these changes too subtle?
    (If you want to see what I started with, here's the product page for The Pit)

It still needs a lot more work done. I just want to be sure that I in the right neighborhood... 

You have done an amazing job on this set.  It's dark and grity and looks like a space sport in a movie.

diomede said:

Warning!  Don't look!  Special category of awful attached.  LOL. 

I am having all sorts of adjustment problems trying to do even the simplest things.  My two biggest problems right now are that when I try to select something in my scene, I end up selecting the entire woodland realms set, instead of the objects or figures I am trying to manipulate.  Is there a way to turn off a prop or figure so that it can't be selected until turned back on?  My second immediate issue is that the wine glass props have two shading domains. one for the glass and one for the wine in the glass.  When I have the glass prop selected, and open the surfaces pane, I can either be under the editor tab or the presets tab.  I want to apply a preset named "glass" to the prop's material zone for the glass polygons.  If I am under the presets tab of the surfaces pane, I can't find the mat zones to select, and if I am under the editor tab, I can't figure out how to apply the glass preset.

All sorts of other problems with the lights (just default right now so looks like ambient is way up), and people looking the wrong way, and props intersecting each other - but I think my immediate needs are how to select things inside a set and how to apply a preset to just one domain of a prop. 

Note - should I be asking these sorts of How To questions in the main "new users" forum?  I'll understand if this forum is really meant to be about fine tuning an image, not Daz functions.

This is definitely the correct place for these questions.  Are you using the wine glass from the Wine Me Set?

I have that set and I have loaded a wine glass with wine.  Under the Surfaces>Editor you will see a description of the prop.  In my case it is TulipGlassHalfFull.  There is a little arrow beside it.  Clicking on that reveals 2 parts to the prop.  This is where you highlight the glass to apply a shader or manipulate the settings.

Wine Glass.png
    1382 x 744 - 118K
    soc_stig said:

Like Kanegs (above), I usually tweak just about every surface to some degree, so I'm not sure how far the contest expects to go with that. Something I've started on (grainy because i had to cut the render time short) ...

Tweaking is good.  I am looking forward to seeing where you go with this image.

soc_stig said:

Several versions later (and still working on it) ...

She's come a long way from your earlier version.  I love the way images evolve.

Shimrian said:

daybird - What is in the tree?  A goblin?  surprise  Maybe you can add a lightsource from moonlight (as distant light with low intensity)?

I'm also having issues with lights, I don't fully understand iray and have switched back to 3Delight until I figure it out.  I'm not so happy with the how the lighting right now, but I still have 3 weeks to figure it out.  :)

I just reinstalled things on my computer with latest version after maybe 2012?  I was a beginner and took a long break and am coming back and trying to learn everything again.  :)

I've started with my project with Genensis 2, JaguarHair (with photoshop to change hair color to blue/pink) and the background (pergola, aka shaded haven) is from gen2 starter essentials.  I changed the surface (diffuse color) of the recesswall from the clay color to more grayish stone (using photoshop) and gen2 is wearing an elven dress (not edited yet).

I figure I'll add something to the WIP to get early feedback on materials, but I do hope to make lots of changes before the end of the month as I reacquaint myself with Daz Studio.

Gen2 figure with shaded haven backdrop

It isn't easy to come back after some time away.  Are you putting the images you create in photoshop in the channels under surfaces, ie:  diffuse, bump, displacement, glossy, etc?

Hello everyone. I decided to learn a little about converting materials from 3DL to Iray.

I took a 3DL environment and vehicle and I am converting each surface to Iray shaders (the girl was using Iray materials already). The walls and few other things still look strange but I wanted to get some feedback after rendering it for the first time. So here it is. What do you think?

Metal converts very well from 3DL to Iray.  The bike looks amazing. 

edited November 2016
    Shimrian said:

Thanks for the suggestion Shimrian. I already had the LAMH player downloaded, so after I downloaded the 2 cat presets, I was ready to go. After trying both the short and long fur presets on a different cat and fiddling with the surfaces for a bit, I decided to try it on the cat in the scene I'm working on. 

Crash. After trying a few more times, I figured there was too much geometry for my CPU to consider. So I learned how to use the 'edit geometry' tool and deleted almost everything not in the scene - which wasn't a whole lot. Still, Im alot more aware of memory issues when I'm constructing a scene now. Lesson learned. 

Anyways, the LAMH presets aren't editable unless you buy the actual program, so after rendering both fur presets and not being able to edit them at all (I can't seem to even effect the surface properties) I'm not going to use the presets. If I had the rest of the software, I'd do more with it.

But I have Girabaldi, so I started working with it. After a long day and night, I've got something approaching 'good enough to show.' I changed the scene slightly for compositional reasons, and I'm redoing the lighting, plus due to my system limitations I figure I'll break the scene into two different renders and then make a composite image. I'll render the cat and the chair in the first, and then the interior wall with the window, and the background. 

I could also use some suggestions on how to create daylight streaming through the window (without Godrays as I'm rendering in 3Delight.)

Here's the latest render.

This freebie godray prop by SickleYield might work.  You have to register with ShareCG to download the prop.

The fur on your cat looks amazing. 

Post edited by Kismet2012 on

Here's a new idea that hit me while I was trying to get some sleep this evening. I'll have to go back and see if I can find some more places I can use as light sources to try and get some more light in there, but heck it's about 0120 in the morning here so here it is for feed back, and I'm going to try again to get back to sleep. Night all.

Here's version b of this one. I went in and applied an emisive seting to the roof peaces to try and light things up a bit, but still keep the feeling of the lights being off for a breafing.

Maybe somewhere between your first version and the 2nd.  Your first verison has a dark and moody feel but in the second version I can see all the details.  Or perhaps a change in the colour of the lights in your 2nd version to tone things down just a little.

• lain105_eckomarslain105_eckomars Posts: 95
    edited November 2016

My first contest entry! Qualifying elements: Iray shaders on umbrella, geoshell for the lacey bits, new fabric surfaces for her clothes.

I'm not very happy with the framing. I wanted to get the umbrella in there, to explain why everything is green (also its pretty), but then you can't see her expression or the tipped-over shot glass well etc.

who needs a glass.png
    600 x 800 - 972K
    Post edited by lain105_eckomars on
  • Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,163
    edited November 2016

Here's a new idea that hit me while I was trying to get some sleep this evening. I'll have to go back and see if I can find some more places I can use as light sources to try and get some more light in there, but heck it's about 0120 in the morning here so here it is for feed back, and I'm going to try again to get back to sleep. Night all.

Maybe somewhere between your first version and the 2nd.  Your first verison has a dark and moody feel but in the second version I can see all the details.  Or perhaps a change in the colour of the lights in your 2nd version to tone things down just a little.

Here we go. I turned down the luminosity of the cealing as well as added some people so it felt inhabited. Note the Cheetah camio on the right.

Edit- Forgot to mention that my first character was actualy floating above the floor even though we couldn't see it. I fixed that after I realized it.

nov2016-2c.png
    1031 x 872 - 2M
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    lain105 said:

My first contest entry! Qualifying elements: Iray shaders on umbrella, geoshell for the lacey bits, new fabric surfaces for her clothes.

I'm not very happy with the framing. I wanted to get the umbrella in there, to explain why everything is green (also its pretty), but then you can't see her expression or the tipped-over shot glass well etc.

welcome to the New User contest then!

You did a nice job o that umbrella texture, the metal umbrella stand looks a bit too glossy to me.

You could experiment with a different camera setting eg, take a landscape, and turn the camera down and closer, probably you could even try to set the camera into the shadow of the umbrella with the rim of it coming from top into your image. that would as well solve the problem of the surrounding area being a bit to bright to really see stuff., though I understand you did it to show a really bright day.

I 'll be interested to see the next steps.

Here we go. I turned down the luminosity of the cealing as well as added some people so it felt inhabited. Note the Cheetah camio on the right.

Edit- Forgot to mention that my first character was actualy floating above the floor even though we couldn't see it. I fixed that after I realized it.

I think this is a good litght setting to keep working with it! Cheetas fur looks very bright right now. And i would suggest to make the suit of your center charcter a bit less reflective. With all the reflective environment he got some kind of camouflage going on like this wink.

• I worked on the fur more, and changed the color of the cat to black. After I got tired of waiting for renders, I really simplified the scene. Now it's just the cat, a bed with sheets and pillows, 3 lights and a camera. I changed  the camera angle to allow me to use only the bed as the background. I also changed the shaders on the pillows, sheets and comforters to separate them from each other. I'll adjust the materials more on everything, but I think I like the angle and setup as it stands. 

Linwelly said:

I think this is a good litght setting to keep working with it! Cheetas fur looks very bright right now. And i would suggest to make the suit of your center charcter a bit less reflective. With all the reflective environment he got some kind of camouflage going on like this wink.

I agree totally Linwelly - the other 2 characters have more of a matte surface so they are easier to notice.

Shinjiki - I like how large the scene is. With all that reflection though, it would take at least a couple of days to render on my setup!

CatMaterial2.png
    1340 x 761 - 2M
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Why not explore alternates for the armor/suit/droid?

Also, consider lowering the luminosity of the various terminals/screens...right now they are a bit washed out. 

• After working with the shaders more, exploring depth of field, and trying some different ligh setups, I'm liking it more. I also put more of a background after adjusting the framing to account for the distortion.  

materialcat4.png
    1340 x 761 - 1M

I worked on the fur more, and changed the color of the cat to black. After I got tired of waiting for renders, I really simplified the scene. Now it's just the cat, a bed with sheets and pillows, 3 lights and a camera. I changed  the camera angle to allow me to use only the bed as the background. I also changed the shaders on the pillows, sheets and comforters to separate them from each other. I'll adjust the materials more on everything, but I think I like the angle and setup as it stands. 

Linwelly said:

I agree totally Linwelly - the other 2 characters have more of a matte surface so they are easier to notice.

Shinjiki - I like how large the scene is. With all that reflection though, it would take at least a couple of days to render on my setup!

You need to make a couple of minor adjustments to the cat's pose.  His tail and right front paw (our left) are intersecting with the comforter.  There is also a bit of white in the upper right hand corner.  You could try adding a plane that you can add some kind of colour or material to (since that is the point of this contest) or add an image into the background environment.  Something that looks like either paint or wallpaper.

Nice job on the composition.  The cat is diffinitely the centre of attention, as it should be if you ask any cat.  wink

• @Kismet -

In an ideal world I'd edit the geometry of the comforter to conform to the cat - but, unfortunatley I don't yet have that skill. So I spent awhile posing the cats legs and tail to conform to the peaks and valleys of the comforter, but still make the cats position look natural and believeable. Lol, Ill never get those hours of my life back. :( I'm pretty sure it would have been so much easier to chage the comforters geometry.

I also put the cat and the bed up against a wall and on a floor, so if I chane the camera angle and get more of the scene than just the cat and bed, there's some background there.

I just got Adobe CC, and am gearing up to try my hand at editing textures in Photoshop. 

matcat9.png
    1340 x 761 - 2M

Finally I got my lights work, as i want it. I have tried so many things, to adjust my light setting in Iray, but failed every time.
    So I deactivate the photometric mode and now it's much easier to set the light.
    I think, I need much more praxis to work with this mode.

There are a few more things that I will change and adjust, but I think i will keep this setting.

Angry dryade.jpg
    1800 x 1200 - 740K
  • mjc1016 said:

Also, consider lowering the luminosity of the various terminals/screens...right now they are a bit washed out. 

Toned down the center table's moniters and changed the mats on the armor.

nov2016-2d.png
    1031 x 872 - 2M
  • harrykimharrykim Posts: 225

you do a good job and you have some cool ideas yescheeky​ I would like to know how long it takes to render

mjc1016 said:

Toned down the center table's moniters and changed the mats on the armor.

Looking much better with the new material on the armor and the monitors toned down. I would suggest to tone down the luninosity of the glowing globe in the middle as well. Eight now it is a lot of turquese blotch, it would be more interesting with a bit more of the strkture still visible. Maybe even try to add bits of interesting information that guy sees there

daybird said:

Finally I got my lights work, as i want it. I have tried so many things, to adjust my light setting in Iray, but failed every time.
    So I deactivate the photometric mode and now it's much easier to set the light.
    I think, I need much more praxis to work with this mode.

There are a few more things that I will change and adjust, but I think i will keep this setting.

I like how that guy is looking so happily ignorant at the fire, good work on that expression! For her face and expression its a bit hard to catch, being rather dark and the bark making it more difficult. ( I like that she is barky! Maybe you find a way to make it still easier to read.) The fire itself looksa bit too much red right now.