Limited Time Freebies Discussion Thread

Comments

• nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,136
    edited August 2019

I created this discussion thread to try to help Kerya keep the alert thread specifically for alerts, and move discussions out of that thread.  Problem is, people are still using the alert thread to discuss freebies, while this discussion thread languishes invisibly.  So even if this thread were moved, I don't think people would necessarily use it.  Even I've made the mistake of posting in the alert thread (Sorry Kerya!), when I should have brought the discussion here.  Maybe if this thread were stickied and kept visible on the Commons, more people might use it?

Post edited by nightwolf1982 on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Thanks for bringing this thread to the first page - maybe it helps.

Just maybe, because even my reminder with quoting from the first message didn't work ... sniff.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,771

So... thoughts on the new header that says freebies will change weekly? A mistake by the graphic designer or an exciting new development? Let's find out!

• I think it's more of a misunderstanding by daz of the word "weekly". 

• SempieSempie Posts: 651

It's bi-weekly.

Except for the bus stop.

They will leave us waiting for a bus till the world ends.

• nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,136

Maybe Chohole or one of the other mods could look into sticky-ing the thread?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited August 2019

I will try to remember to discuss limited time freebies here, not the announcement thread.

Sempie said:

It's bi-weekly.

Except for the bus stop.

They will leave us waiting for a bus till the world ends.

There is a free bus that would go very well with the bus stop.  See here, and lower down there are some textures for it by Bunyip.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4756936/#Comment_4756936

Carrara format, but you can export to Daz Studio easily (there is a Daz Studio full scene export preset in Carrara, and a matching Carrara format import preset in Daz Studio).

stezza bus.JPG
    774 x 572 - 47K
    Post edited by Diomede on

The stone shaders look potentially useful... probably not too hard to make them look good in IRAY.

I might be able to use Willow's skin if she has the same UV as V4. That being said, her skin doesn't look all that interesting in the promos.

• Since it's come up--again!--in the notification thread how frequently "just" the texture set for a clothing item are free, while the base item costs:

The clothing itself may go on sale, or even--GASP!!!--be a freebie, later on. I've seen this happen many times. Some people (like me) may pick up the freebie textures in case we decide to buy the outfit later, probably when it's on sale. Also other people may already own the outfit and be delighted to get extra textures for free, particularly those who don't know how to make their own or know how but don't like to make textures.

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

I've got soooo many textures sitting around, patiently waiting for their mesh. angelThey're hopeful about the PA sales starting in a couple of weeks.

I was going to ask about the stone shaders, too. Are they going to look decent in Iray? Shaders are my special crack, I just gotta have them.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

The stone shaders are not based on texture files, and as such will not work at all in iRay. They use techniques specific to the 3DL engine, and as such will not work with any other renderer.

^ aw, bummer

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702
    edited August 2019

what freebies are allowed and not allowed in the limited time freebies?

Post edited by Sfariah D on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

what freebies are allowed and not allowed in the limited time freebies?

Proper freebies.  We do not generally allow links to offers like Give away of the day and similar as they are often effectively off-site commercial, and are always brief/limited-time offers which may be confusing to people finding a thread later.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086

But the title of this thread is Limited Time Freebies Discussion!

Dana

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2019
    DanaTA said:

But the title of this thread is Limited Time Freebies Discussion!

Dana

True,  but a limited time freebie is different to a thinly disguised commercial ad.  Get an older, severely limited  item offered as a freebie,  and then get special offers to upgrade it to the version that actually works properly

Post edited by Chohole on

Still curious whether we're really gonna get weekly freebies now (and whether it's gonna be the same amount of freebies.)

What looked like a mistake at first now looks much more deliberate. I guess we'll find out tomorrow!

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    Hylas said:

Still curious whether we're really gonna get weekly freebies now (and whether it's gonna be the same amount of freebies.)

What looked like a mistake at first now looks much more deliberate. I guess we'll find out tomorrow!

I just got an email about https://www.daz3d.com/light-probe-tool .  It's free.

^ Pretty sure that has always been free. Not sure why you're getting an email about it?

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395
    Hylas said:

well.. it's been wednesday here (CET) for 22:30h now - and the freebies are stil the same as yesterday. (same recurrent lame as always too). so neither the arrival of wednesday nor of the new week seem to have changed anything. the only thing that changed was the banner/page layout, and not for the best honestly... >_<
    i appreciate that daz, unlike other sites where the freebies are made by users, offers shop items as freebies - but the result makes me sob, it has done for months/years now. it's almost a running gag, srsly, with some rare exceptions. the PC+ freebies are wayyyyy better. why even bother.

• JackyBrownJackyBrown Posts: 579

Hmmm...

"New Items added every Wednesday." now became "New Items added weekly." (So far not true.)

DAZ is starting to act a little "Google-ish" it seems... sad

I have the vague suspicion that some marketing/PR trainee mixed up the weekly PC+ freebies (that are renewed every wednesday) with the bi-weekly monday bunch....

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Are they going to fix it?

It's curious that they fixed "Wednesday" but not "weekly". I suppose the week's not over yet?

• Sempie said:

I have the vague suspicion that some marketing/PR trainee mixed up the weekly PC+ freebies (that are renewed every wednesday) with the bi-weekly monday bunch....

That's my theory too. I asked if the freebies are now weekly in the Always Another Sale thread a day or 2 ago & wrote pretty much the same thing. (No, I haven't gotten an answer there yet)

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Well - the promo on the main page https://www.daz3d.com/shop/ now says "Weekly Freebies", but is followed by "New Items added every other week", which translates to bi-weekly.

edited August 2019

We're getting there.

Slowly but steadily.

One or two more gos, and they'll get it right.

And at the end of the day, nothing has changed.....

Post edited by Sempie on
    Sempie said:
    And at the end of the day, nothing has changed.....

That was my suspicion from the start. Oh well. It's always good to remember not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

I'd love it if this thread stayed somewhat alive. I'll try and post a render with one or several DAZ freebies when we get new ones next week... I hope some of you folks will join me!

It's OK, DAZ isn't obliged to give us anything for free. I just take what I get, and if I can really use it, so much the better. Some of the giveaways were actually quite good. and very generous.

Just don't think confusing people and giving them false expectations is a good strategy.

• I do not see any freebies up as of yet!

I am wondering if there is going to be any this week where everything got mixed up last week!?