Limited Time Freebies Discussion Thread

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Your welcome and thank you Charlie Judge for the links!

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950

I just want to say huge thanks to DAZ, for all the freebies I have got. Just amazing things. I will have to download and install them, then I will try making a list of them but in short I finaly got V3 and M3 figures with morphs :). I better go to work now, nice and sunny weather here though a bit cold.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

I just want to say huge thanks to DAZ, for all the freebies I have got. Just amazing things. I will have to download and install them, then I will try making a list of them but in short I finaly got V3 and M3 figures with morphs :). I better go to work now, nice and sunny weather here though a bit cold.

I know right? Some great freebies - and with a minor purchase you can get up to 6 free times. REALLY sweet! This is a wonderful Christmas gift! Thank you, Daz! 

• CherubitCherubit Posts: 982

I know right? Some great freebies - and with a minor purchase you can get up to 6 free times. REALLY sweet! This is a wonderful Christmas gift! Thank you, Daz! 

do you have more items to your cart than those? :O

taemimun said:

No, that was my entire cart. 

edited December 2016
    taemimun said:

How did you get 6 free items? :O I only got 5 with purchase

Post edited by Cherubit on
  • taemimun said:
    taemimun said:

Cian was free with purchase of any Ozichick item and made the sixth item. However if you used one of the Ozichick items that were in the free give away section then you could get a totally free order of 6 items.

taemimun said:
    taemimun said:

Cian was free with purchase of any Ozichick item and made the sixth item. However if you used one of the Ozichick items that were in the free give away section then you could get a totally free order of 6 items.

Ohhh i see! I still need to get the hang of it haha... I don't have Darius 7 so getting Cian wouldn't be very useful to me... But I will keep my eyes open for the next of these haha~

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617
    Semicharm said:
    DanaTA said:

Does anyone know if the "Ultra Genesis Studio Vol 1 - Iray Box Lights" is a stand-alone product, or does it need a base of some sort to work?

Dana

Doesn't appear to require anything other than Iray. It's a collection of mesh lights and HDR images.

I picked up this set earlier and just started playing around with it recently.

Anyone have any idea where the HDR images can be found?  Am I correct in assuming these go in the Environment Map slot under the Render Settings tab?  I've looked a bunch of places, and can't seem to locate them.

Thanks!

dHandle said:
    Semicharm said:
    DanaTA said:

Does anyone know if the "Ultra Genesis Studio Vol 1 - Iray Box Lights" is a stand-alone product, or does it need a base of some sort to work?

Dana

Doesn't appear to require anything other than Iray. It's a collection of mesh lights and HDR images.

Anyone have any idea where the HDR images can be found?  Am I correct in assuming these go in the Environment Map slot under the Render Settings tab?  I've looked a bunch of places, and can't seem to locate them.

Thanks!

When you click on the settings that it comes with it should load the HDR images automatically, depending on what setting you click on. If you want to load them by hand though, you should be able to find them in your library runtime - Runtime\Textures\UltraGenesisStudio\Vol1

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617
    dHandle said:
    Semicharm said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Thanks!

When you click on the settings that it comes with it should load the HDR images automatically, depending on what setting you click on. If you want to load them by hand though, you should be able to find them in your library runtime - Runtime\Textures\UltraGenesisStudio\Vol1

Ahh..great!  Found them.  Thank you!

• jcbunnjcbunn Posts: 270
    edited May 2017
    ed3D said:

_And Origin has another game_DEAD IN BERMUDA

_thanks_``~...

Semicharm said:
    ed3D said:

_And Origin has another game DEAD IN BERMUDA

_thanks_``~...

Yep, it's marked as free.
    https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/dead-in-bermuda/dead-in-bermuda/standard-edition

Found the trailer on youtube.

ed3D said:

_And Origin has another game_DEAD IN BERMUDA

_thanks_``~...

adding this one as well from GOG: https://www.gog.com/game/mount_blade

Lets get back to Freebie 3D models

and leave the Origin/GOG/Steam free game advertising for gaming sites

Post edited by jcbunn on
    edited May 2017

I have a question, I have installed Estal Hair for G2f and used 2 red textures, but both seems to have some white addition to it. Here You can see. I also have tried purple it looks better but black seems to have it too. Is there maybe solution to this to have it in one color, if not it is not that important and maybe I am just a bit tired trying to install new things from 7pm :) but they are really fantastic. I mean wow :) I still have 4 to go :). You can see it here:

1.jpg
    1076 x 1290 - 868K
    2.jpg
    1076 x 1290 - 249K
    3.png
    1076 x 1290 - 439K
    4.png
    1076 x 1290 - 1M
    Post edited by MilosGulan on
  • ChromaDrakeChromaDrake Posts: 288

Very nice set of freebies, the sci-fi pack was great.  Thanks DAZ! 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited May 2017

I have a question, I have installed Estal Hair for G2f and used 2 red textures, but both seems to have some white addition to it. Here You can see. I also have tried purple it looks better but black seems to have it too. Is there maybe solution to this to have it in one color, if not it is not that important and maybe I am just a bit tired trying to install new things from 7pm :) but they are really fantastic. I mean wow :) I still have 4 to go :). You can see it here:

The white you're seeing is the Glossy color. Where the light is being reflected, the hair appears white.

I can't quite duplicate what you're seeing. Are these example renders for Iray or 3Delight? If Iray, did you apply the Iray Uber Base first? With the materials converted to Iray, you can adjust how glossy the hair is with the Glossy Layered Weight, Glossy Reflectivity, and Glossy Roughness parameters for the Hair material zone. (Surfaces->Editor)

Post edited by L'Adair on

Very nice set of freebies, the sci-fi pack was great.  Thanks DAZ! 

I agree wholeheartedly. I picked up two bundles, two characters and a dress... Not one item a texture for something else I'd have to buy to use.

Thank you, DAZ.

• K8sGraphicsK8sGraphics Posts: 56
    edited May 2017

Milos, it might help if we knew exactly what program you are using and what render settings (3DL, Iray, Firefly, or Superfly...) 

It does look as if that is the light bouncing off the hair. If that is done in Iray, add the uber shader to the hair, turn down the glossy reflectivity and change the top coat color to a shade of the hair color, which should chill that blaring white gloss and still allow for the hair to shine and look more natural. 

In 3DL I do this playing with the refraction and Specular options.

Image 1. 3DL Test render with a Sabby lighting & the above mentioned playing with Specular & Refraction options. 

Image 2. Iray render with a OOT Light set & the glossy reflectivity - Top coat changes. (Forgive the grainy look, I just wanted a quick render...normally I would spend a bit more time choosing the set up and render a little longer). 

(Note that I used both the G2F version & the V4 versions). 

testing3dl.jpg
    931 x 900 - 168K
    testingiray.jpg
    827 x 800 - 172K
    Post edited by K8sGraphics on
    edited May 2017

Thank You, I used 3DL with few distant lights. Here is render without lights and I toned down specularity. It seems to work :)

12.png
    1076 x 1290 - 712K
    Post edited by MilosGulan on
  • wow Stephanie 6 Starter Bundle TY Daz  smiley

I'm glad it helped, Milos. Another trick in 3DL would be to change the specular color to a shade of the hair color, which makes the shine more in tone with the actual hair as well as toning the options down a little. Its similar to the trick I use in Iray, which keeps my hair from looking like glossy glass with a blaring white shine and more like natural hair.

and yes this weeks freebies were rather generous on Daz's part. I now have a lot more spaceships and another of the G2F figures.  

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,092

There were only a few things in the SciFi bundle that I didn't have, but it was worth it!

Dana

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653

Thank you so much Daz for the amazing bundle packs in the bi-weekly freebies!!!!

• DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 508

To Daz and all -Thank's for the freebies!  :-)

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

There's new freebies over at PoserWorld and also 75% off all models with code VDAY. That brings most items down to 74 cents and though its not nearly as good as DAZ stuff, there is some decent kit bashing items over there.

• WandererWanderer Posts: 957
    edited June 2017

I'm frustrated because I thought I had more time to get the freebies downloaded, and came back a few hours later to find them no longer free. Why doesn't DAZ care enough about their customers to tell us when items will no longer be available at a given price? Literally, I left at something like 1 am, came back at 8 am, thinking I had until Thursday. Didn't they used to change these out on Thursdays? Anyway, why won't they tell us when items will no longer be available at given price?

I know for a fact they are losing sales, because I dumped my cart afterward.

Post edited by Wanderer on
    edited June 2017
    Wanderer said:

I'm frustrated because I thought I had more time to get the freebies downloaded, and came back a few hours later to find them no longer free. Why doesn't DAZ care enough about their customers to tell us when items will no longer be available at a given price? Literally, I left at something like 1 am, came back at 8 am, thinking I had until Thursday. Didn't they used to change these out on Thursdays? Anyway, why won't they tell us when items will no longer be available at given price?

I know for a fact they are losing sales, because I dumped my cart afterward.

DAZ has been changing the Freebies on a Monday for some time now. The changeover only happens once every two weeks. The good news is most of the the things in the Freebies section keep showing up. For those of us who regularly grab the Freebies we want, the Freebie page seldom shows more than 3-4 items we don't have, if anything shows at all. Be patient. What you didn't get this time will undoubtedly show up again.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • Wanderer I do understand your frustration with what happened with all of this... 

However, expecting & wanting Daz to notify everytime when a sale/freebie price is going to change is rather unrealistic request. A lot of work goes into setting up these sales in the first place and it would require even more work to make sure a timer or a serious notification gets set up. Daz puts up thousands of items on sale with these promotions & sale events which is a lot of coding, making sure databases are set up correctly, making sure the sales information gets in right place and the right amount gets placed onto the right products. Trust me, when my dad has to do sales on his small business website even with a small amount of items its a lot of work. I can't imagine the effort required to deal with a store this large and the amount & type of sales they have (and I know it doesn't come off without a glitch or two showing up).  Daz does try its best to place notices on how long a sale is going to last on the actual sale advertisement & page (which can be accessed from the store front page) and often times will list in the daily emails. By no means am I stating Daz is perfect with this or that it doesn't have room for improvement, I'm just pointing out that its not an easy thing and that having a little patience and understanding - even still its all right to be annoyed and frustrated. 

Now for time contraints that I've noticed in the past and how I generally handle things like this -  The flash sales are usually 24hrs unless otherwise stated because there have been some that have been somewherebetween 2 and 4 hours (maybe 6) instead. For the sale items not listed in these that will sometimes show up in my wishlist, I will usually just assume it will last only 24hrs and if I have the funds I get it, if not...well then I wait for the next sale. Much like the freebies, sales at Daz come along more than once.

The freebies do stay up for a week, sometimes a little longer (2 weeks especially if a serious special is going on). I do know that Monday freebie switches have been happening long enough that I didn't even know they were originally on thursdays, so at least a year or more. I am sorry that you missed out this time and I can understand the frustration, but they will come back around (even the large bundles have a tendency to show back up again...fewer & further between, but they do show up again).

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,787

Wanderer I do understand your frustration with what happened with all of this... 

However, expecting & wanting Daz to notify everytime when a sale/freebie price is going to change is rather unrealistic request...,

Renderosity seems to be able to do it,  as does Content Paradise, which has this nice free character for 3Dream's Little One (sold here at DAZ); Expires June 13...  wink

http://contentparadise.com/productDetails.aspx?id=23258

edited June 2017

All right, I did not really mean unrealistic (I am not always good with expressing myself and for that I apologize). So yes other companies have been able to do it. However, the type of sales, the amount of products on sale, and even the number of sales at a given time are not the same. Daz runs a sale just about every day on top of its usual 30% discount for new products and it's occassionally rotating fast grab page. With their sales its also not a small amount of items on sale, but rather thousands of them and not all of the items are in the same type of sale section. Yes Daz is a bit unpredictable at times -  since sometimes these small events will stick around for a week or until the next big event...and others they shuffle out a day or two later...and maybe that is why they don't list an end date. Perhaps they are not entirely sure when the sales will end themselves. That part would be guessing and speculation as I cannot read the minds of the Daz company heads and sales departments. Regardless, setting those sales up does require a lot of behind the scenes work that does not always get noticed or recognized. 

As for Daz's freebie page, I have actually not seen a lot of companies that have something like this. I have seen ones with freebie sections that have a pretty static set of products & Samplers that will on occassion grow or places that run a monthly freebie on their site or in a newletter...Daz is really one of the first places I've seen that has a shuffling page that will offer smaller things for sure but also on occassion larger bundles. By no means is Daz required to do this, they do it as a marketing strategy (much the same as offering their rendering program for free) for sure...still its a fairly generous marketing strategy that not a lot of companies will do. 

All in all ... Daz is still a company and as such is prone to it's faults and it's graces just like any other company. 

Post edited by K8sGraphics on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

By the way: as I got PMs and it was commented here: the Limited time freebie thread is for graphics freebies, not for games.

If you want a limited games freebie thread, please open your own.