Hand Knits Shader Presets and Merchant Resource [Commercial] - in store now

Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004
edited September 2016 in The Commons

Hi everyone! I got my knitting friend DefiantGoods to custom-knit me a bunch of different stitches that we turned into awesome shader presets! It's also a merchant resource with 10 different stitches and a heap of colors. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer 'em. 

http://www.daz3d.com/hand-knits-shader-presets-and-merchant-resource

Post edited by Canary3d on

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

I have to say, that knit Cambot is HYSTERICAL.

• I have to say these look great!  I didn't realize they were a merchant resource, too.  I'm looking forward to playing with them!

This is one of those products where I go 'well, surely I can just do that on my own with texture maps.'

Yeah.

Good job, WIZARD.

• I can not justify buying these right now, but as a (sort of ex) knitter, I was SO EXCITED to see them. I may have to invent a project for them. They're gorgeous.

• I have to say these look great!  I didn't realize they were a merchant resource, too.  I'm looking forward to playing with them!

Quoting myself: I feel stupid!  I went back and looked to see how I missed the Merchant Resource part and it's there in big bold letters!  :)  I think I saw the knit part and started drooling as it went in the cart and I failed to read the entire title.  Or I may have been distracted by that incredibly well outfitted robot!  I'll be very happy when my DS is done with it's current thing so I can install these and start playing.

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004

Thanks, everyone, and we're glad you like them!

• I have to admit that I ignored this from the store front because I thought it was some sort of weird robot, lol. Now that I see it's a shader set, it might be something I would want!

You know, I kept telling myself 'surely I can make this stuff with FF and some effort.'

But... man, it looks cute. Grabba.

... Holy poot, that's a lot of data. What is it, 3+ gb?

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,155

I'm a sucker for shaders/presets and so I grabbed this - but I was a bit what??? when I saw the download size too! (I should have guessed though from the massive number of large texture files listed on the product page) So I have half of it so far - unfortunately not the bit with the actual .duf files in! Ah well, I'll be getting them later today...

So I was thinking 'I should make a render of my latest big ticket purchases.'

Here you go. Hand knits + TerraDome3 + VWD (the tunic) + Ultrascatter. HA HA HA

(3DL render)

Yarnhills.png
    1748 x 1080 - 5M
    edited September 2016

It is huge--we wanted it to be high-resolution so that it doesn't become obsolete, and also you can render as close in as you want.

I love what you did with it, Will! 

Where this is different from FF and the like is that DefiantGoods knit squares of all 10 stitch types in a neutral color and we scanned that as a starting point.  So the secret is having a captive fiber artist :)

Sometimes pure realism bores or drains me, so making yarn scenes appeals to my sense of the absurd/fantasist.

I have visions of nudes in yarn, furious battle scenes or superheroes throwing glowing twine...

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Canary3d said:
    Where this is different from FF and the like is that DefiantGoods knit squares of all 10 stitch types in a neutral color and we scanned that as a starting point.  So the secret is having a captive fiber artist :)

And as someone who's done a lot of knitting and crocheting, I appreciate the level of detail I've seen in the promos and Will's image above. It will be some time before I can see it first hand, though... I'm still downloading part 2...

I'm debating doing another 'outdoor' scene and how to do clouds. Hmm.

• thenotoriousjedthenotoriousjed Posts: 397
    edited September 2016

These are awesome. I love Will's image so I decided to try my own. I call it "waiting on candy". You know Halloween is coming...

waitng on candy.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by thenotoriousjed on
    edited September 2016

Cute! The dragon looks like he was born to have knit scales.

For everyone using the set - FYI - there are tiling size presets included in th product, so you can go from huge to tiny scale with a couple of clicks. I checked with the tech team and they said there's no render cost to having a lot of tiles of the same image, so I included presets up to 60x60.

• HoMartHoMart Posts: 480
    edited September 2016

inspired by the cam bot, I just had to do this one ;)

its a "yarn bombed" rerender of an older scene of mine.

These shaders render fast - this one was finished after 11 min ( quality 4, 98%)

2OT - yarn bombed bot - IRAY_002.jpg
    1280 x 1920 - 1M
    Post edited by HoMart on

That's AWESOME. hahahaha

And here's a portrait shot of figure from last render.

Yarn Hiro.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M

I have one complaint. I honestly don't see the reason to have multiple color versions of the same texture vs. white texture + color setting.

And in Iray, it kills the scene if you have any number of different color textures.

Now, mind you, this is an easy thing to work around -- just use white every time and then color as you like it. But just thought I'd point it out.

• How did I miss this in the store? Thanks to op for pointing it out!

• HoMartHoMart Posts: 480
    edited September 2016

second version, now complete "yarned"

Its real fun to play with this shaders.

Anyone able to knit one like her in RL? She looks so cuddly.

2OT -Yarn Bombed Bot - IRAY_003.jpg
    2000 x 3000 - 3M
    Post edited by HoMart on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,155
    edited September 2016

Great stuff (and very creative) Will (already noted in your other thread), thenotoriousjed (cute dragon!) and HoMart (cute bot too).

Well I got it downloaded so can play. My first is a rather run-of-the-mill job by comparison though - a bit of kitbashing to get a reasonably suitable garment onto the child - it seems I have very litttle child-suitable clolthing.

Knits-Girl-and-Teddy.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 619K
    Post edited by MelanieL on

Nice, HoMart, Melanie!

edited September 2016

Actually my tests show that the result is much different if you tint the map in the shader channel. It colors the highlights, shadows, and midtones all the same, so it loses the depth that's important for this product. Whereas in Photoshop there's much more subtle "dye" behavior. When I was hoping to make it a smaller download I did some comparisons and the "color in map" won hands down.  Here's one:

The other reason is that this is an MR and also some people render in bryce, reality, octane, etc, and I didn't want them to be tied to Daz Studio for the colors, since the solid colors are all chosen carefully to complement each other and to be accurate real-yarn representations.  

Compare - tinted diffuse and white vs tinted color file.jpg
    1574 x 865 - 2M
  • StalestStalest Posts: 828
    edited September 2016

With so many interesting renders I decided to see what I could quickly throw together laugh

I forget to mention that the clothes are the Rune Outfit.

knitmadness.jpg
    1920 x 1920 - 2M
    Post edited by Stalest on

I'm finding this product MUCH easier to work with in 3DL, where displacement is very easy to use without increasing meshes madly and slowing everything to a crawl.

This was originally going to be Iray until I threw my hands up and converted over to 3DL.

It looks GREAT in 3DL, so hey.

Yarn Palm Island.png
    1748 x 1080 - 5M
    edited September 2016

Awesome, Stalest!

Canary3d: ... Ok, I stand corrected, sorry! Though this pushes me even more toward sticking with 3DL for the big 'yarnworld' style renders. ;)

Also I think that explains why some of my renders, using shader color channel, look more washed out than some of the others. Duh.

Post edited by Oso3D on

I haven't had a problem rendering multiple color maps in Iray, but I am rendering on a new-ish NVidia-based system so things are pretty zippy in general. I'm glad the 3DL presets are working well for you - I don't render in 3DL much any more but I've paid attention to the big "we don't all use Iray" thread so I decided to make both types of presets.  The 3DL ones have more displacement and no normal map, but are otherwise similar to the Iray presets.