Problems with Cathy Hair [Solved]

ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794
edited September 2016 in The Commons

The hair loads up incorrectly for me as far as the texture is concerned and the cap showing up and all.  It is also unresponsive to the hairblending colors materials.  Anyone else who bought it experiencing the same?

Cathy Hair.jpg
818 x 861 - 426K
Post edited by Cris Palomino on

Comments

• Bright ShadowBright Shadow Posts: 63
    edited September 2016

I'm glad I'm not alone. I was just about to post the same question.

G3F is sad. Her hair looks like plastic.

Sad G3F

Cathy Hair Render.png
    1024 x 852 - 689K
    Post edited by Bright Shadow on
  • ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794

I'm glad it's not just me.  I"ve sent in a support ticket.  Let's hope we get an update to the product today as these are clearly 2 very unhappy young women.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,989

Have you tried selecting both, the hair in the scene tab, and the surfaces in the surface tab before applying the colors? Just to rule out that that is the problem.

BeeMKay said:

Have you tried selecting both, the hair in the scene tab, and the surfaces in the surface tab before applying the colors? Just to rule out that that is the problem.

yep...I have done exactly that, to no avail, other than successfully hiding the cap, but I shouldn't have to do that if it is loading properly.

• good thing i came in here i was fixing to buy the product and wanted to see some renders of it but guess i'll be saving my money today.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

Looks like the trans map is missing to me or the setting is low. It is in my cart and I'll have a peek as soon as I check out. Should be an easy fix unless the texture got left out which I gather I not the case since no one mentioned an error popup.

edited September 2016

ok ..so.. That material that says "Apply first".. Did you in fact apply it first? Because that applies the transparency......

Edit to add image

hairtest.png
    500 x 650 - 305K
    Post edited by Khory on
    edited September 2016
    Khory said:

ok ..so.. That material that says "Apply first".. Did you in fact apply it first? Because that applies the transparency......

Edit to add image

Nope...I totally did NOT.  Thanks for pointing it out to me.  I completely ignored that icon.

Cathy Hair.jpg
    817 x 861 - 263K
    Post edited by ThatGuy on
  • Bright ShadowBright Shadow Posts: 63
    edited September 2016

I saw that material... and I applied that material.. and it still didn't work.

But I'll bet I still had the head selected rather than the hair.

Works now -- thanks!

Happy G3F

Cathy Hair Render 2.png
    1024 x 852 - 791K
    Post edited by Bright Shadow on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,733

Is it possible to hide those loose strands on the forehead?

I'm a G3F girl in the virtual DAZ world
    Life in plastic, it's fantastic!

• I got this last night, and I have to say that it's probably one of my favorite hairs. The shaders are really good, and the style is pretty useful all around. 

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited September 2016

That hair is gorgeous. OOT is a master at realistic looking hair. 

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I'm curious about that too - a few of the promos, I thought it was actually a shadow 

Taozen said:

Is it possible to hide those loose strands on the forehead?

edited September 2016

Well I've purchased it to check it out, and there don't seem to be any options for hiding the strands, neither is it possible using the material zones. So hiding the geometry for the strands with the Geometry Editor seems to be the only option. I got one side done now, if anyone knows how to save it as a legally distributable preset when I'm done I'll put one up for download. There are over 20 (luckily separate) mesh strands on each side spread over 3 geometry layers, would be nice if you could turn them on/off individually using nodes or something so you could mix and match, but I don't know if that's possible to make. Here's a quick sample, like I said I only got the right side removed so far:

cathy_hair_no_strands.jpg
    860 x 933 - 597K
    Post edited by Taoz on
  • JPayneJPayne Posts: 79
    edited September 2016
    Taozen said:

Well I've purchased it to check it out, and there don't seem to be any options for hiding the strands, neither is it possible using the material zones. So hiding the geometry for the strands with the Geometry Editor seems to be the only option. I got one side done now, if anyone knows how to save it as a legally distributable preset when I'm done I'll put one up for download. There are over 20 (luckily separate) mesh strands on each side spread over 3 geometry layers, would be nice if you could turn them on/off individually using nodes or something so you could mix and match, but I don't know if that's possible to make. Here's a quick sample, like I said I only got the right side removed so far:

This solution works quite well. I used to export the hair as a dumb (posed) hair obj and take it apart in a modeler and actually delete any parts undesirable. This worked quite well but you end up with a dumb obj that you couldn't pose after. After trying the solution you described this is no longer necessary to jump from app to app. This is far more appealing to me as I realize that I've been using DS for years and I still don't know most of it.

Cathyhair.jpg
    549 x 640 - 189K
    Post edited by JPayne on
    JPayne said:
    Taozen said:

This solution works quite well. I used to export the hair as a dumb (posed) hair obj and take it apart in a modeler and actually delete any parts undesirable. This worked quite well but you end up with a dumb obj that you couldn't pose after. After trying the solution you described this is no longer necessary to jump from app to app. This is far more appealing to me as I realize that I've been using DS for years and I still don't know most of it.

I first tried to delete the polygons also, but that caused problems with other parts of the mesh, hiding them seems to be the only thing that works. Maybe it's a specific G3 problem.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Deleting parts of the mesh often destroys its other morphs.  Creating a morph to pull the strands back under the scalp where they will be hidden is the best long term solution.

• JPayneJPayne Posts: 79
    edited September 2016

Taozen and Jestmart, these points are all true. But it worked if you had settled on a specific pose and never used the modified obj again. I have never been successful in creating a morph in Daz. I don't know if it has to do with flipped Y and Z axis or what. But Taozens method is just as easy and fast and no harm comes to the model and you can of course still pose the hair. This is just brilliant and also makes me feel a little "derp" for not knowing it was there in the first place. 

Edited: The only caveat to this method I've found so far... When you close and reopen the scene the hidden geometry isn't hidden anymore. So I need to go back and re-hide the selected geometry.

Post edited by JPayne on
    jestmart said:

Deleting parts of the mesh often destroys its other morphs.  Creating a morph to pull the strands back under the scalp where they will be hidden is the best long term solution.

Thanks, will take a look at that method...

JPayne said:

Edited: The only caveat to this method I've found so far... When you close and reopen the scene the hidden geometry isn't hidden anymore. So I need to go back and re-hide the selected geometry.

Hm, you're right, I thought it was saved with the scene but it's not. Jestsmart's solution may be the only way to save it as a preset then.

You can always save the hair as a scene subset. It should retain all the information of that version of the hair.

Khory said:

You can always save the hair as a scene subset. It should retain all the information of that version of the hair.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work either, in this case...

Using the Hexagon Bridge I've tried to pull the geometry for some of the strands (all are separate meshes) into the head so they are hidden. It works, but unfortunately the morph affects the rest of the geometry also. I'm sure I haven't selected anything else so that can't be the problem. Any idea what's causing this? There's a video here showing it:

http://taosoft.dk/temp/cathy_morph1/

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

I don't have it - but does it have active morphs when it loads?

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/85116/morph-loader-pro-and-teeth-morph

• Hey there,

thank you very much for your nice words about the hair and for purchasing! :-)

Since I have seen that the loose strands might not be looking good for some of your renders and it is not easy to create a fix for it on your own, I have created a set of two morphs that you can easily install into your Daz Studio content library. The two morphs will be added to the hair automatically and will each hide either the side or front loose strands when dialed at 100 %. Here is the downloadlink for you: http://www.outoftouch.de/CustomUpdates/OOT_CathyHair_HIDELooseStrands.zip

Hope these will work for you.

Thanks,

OOT

Kerya said:

I don't have it - but does it have active morphs when it loads?

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/85116/morph-loader-pro-and-teeth-morph

Don't know, but thanks for the link, will study that...

Hey there,

thank you very much for your nice words about the hair and for purchasing! :-)

Since I have seen that the loose strands might not be looking good for some of your renders and it is not easy to create a fix for it on your own, I have created a set of two morphs that you can easily install into your Daz Studio content library. The two morphs will be added to the hair automatically and will each hide either the side or front loose strands when dialed at 100 %. Here is the downloadlink for you: http://www.outoftouch.de/CustomUpdates/OOT_CathyHair_HIDELooseStrands.zip

Ah, excellent, works perfect! Thanks! laugh

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Thanks OOT :)

Laurie

Very thoughtful OOT!