Will Timmins' Procedural Shaders

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

I'm really loving your shaders that you uploaded to ShareCG! Thank you so much, Will! heart

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

Great! I'd be really curious to see what people do with them!

This scene was 99% shaded with your shaders (I only left a couple things with it's original shader). 

I think the water is one of my favorite parts! Awesome work on these shaders, Will - they are great! Thank you again for sharing them with us. That's extremely generous of you! :)

Glad you liked it!

Yeah, while I provided Iris shaders for completeness, I really suggest keeping original textures there. Irises have such a particular pattern to them that's next to impossible to just generate. Eyes and hair are best done with other stuff. Heh.

Now I'm debating whether I should work on a 3DL version of WTP, or work on a Worley-based set. hmmm.

Then again, I strongly suspect WTW would be reasonably fast -- drop Worley in, change the user inputs a little, and there you go.

Now I'm debating whether I should work on a 3DL version of WTP, or work on a Worley-based set. hmmm.

Then again, I strongly suspect WTW would be reasonably fast -- drop Worley in, change the user inputs a little, and there you go.

What's Worley? :)

Well, here's WTW Base Color...

Play around with it!

Worley noise follows the UV map, so it's not as 'freeform' as some Perlin. On the other hand, it's great for generating all sorts of interesting more structured designs.

WTW Color Tile.png
    800 x 800 - 617K
    duf
    duf
    WTW Color Tiles.duf

Here's an example of it in action.

It's neat, but obviously the seams can be a problem. You could put it on an Iray Decal, but then the 'glow' would be everywhere (which may or may not be a problem).

Don't drink that.png
    1080 x 1080 - 957K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

looks like it would be useful in creating realistic marble veins!

edited September 2016

I think you're right. And at that point, veins on eyes and so on is no big deal, since, well.

If I do a WTW pack (which is likely), I'll definitely include a Worley version of veined marble.

I mean, heck, there's a specific flag for 'apply marble'

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

HAHAHA ..well there you go!  How Marbleous!  *runs* cheeky

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

This scene was 99% shaded with your shaders (I only left a couple things with it's original shader). 

I think the water is one of my favorite parts! Awesome work on these shaders, Will - they are great! Thank you again for sharing them with us. That's extremely generous of you! :)

Excellent - I'm going to have to redo my toon caricatures using these. They are much more flexible and give closer to the nice toon look.

I find that the bronze shader is incredibly useful for dozens of small fiddly 'not chrome' metal bits. Buttons, switches, candlesticks, handles, etc.

Well, here's WTW Base Color...

Play around with it!

Worley noise follows the UV map, so it's not as 'freeform' as some Perlin. On the other hand, it's great for generating all sorts of interesting more structured designs.

Oh cool! Thanks, Will! :) I'm out of town right now but am looking forward to downloading this and trying it out when I get back. Thank you, I love your shaders!

I find that the bronze shader is incredibly useful for dozens of small fiddly 'not chrome' metal bits. Buttons, switches, candlesticks, handles, etc.

Haha Yeah, I have like a ton of grey, chrome, silver type shaders - it's nice to have some different type of metallic shader. I'd like to find a brass shader, but I might be able to get a brass look by tweaking a gold shader ...maybe. lol

• Thank you. I've been struggling along with my old computer and an obsolete video card. I really like Iray. The wait is definitely worth it. These are a very useful addition to my inventory. Thank you for your hard work, and your generosity.

Arise!

So NGS Anagenessis got me thinking.

One of the functions of the WTP shaders is the ability to create noise elements from existing maps. That is, you can start with a regular skin (or some other surface) and add blobs of color or bump or whatever.

So in this case the aim is to start with existing skins and add, effectively, high density micropores.

In the image, the right-hand figure uses standard Iray conversion of Eisa skin. The left-hand figure uses the WTP Skin overlay (which uses bump noise for the Top Coat height).

I'm attaching the Skin Bump Overlay. Apply it to skin textures, and plug diffuse map into Base Color, Translucency Color, and Top Coat Color. For Lips, I'd skip the top coat color map and make the bump value lower, like 500x500x500 Bump Tiling.

This is useful in that you end up only needing three maps for a unique figure. If you want more detail, Normal and Displacement maps work, er, normally.

Eisa WTP v Standard.png
    2160 x 2160 - 5M
    duf
    duf
    Skin Bump Overlay.duf
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,153

That's looking pretty good, Will - thanks for the .duf, I'll have to try it and see how it goes.

If it looks a little too glowy/translucent, you can alter transmitted distance (higher = more translucent), translucent weight, translucent and transmitted color (closer to white, brighter/more translucent).

The qualities are a little finicky...

Some reflection on procedural textures:

When competing directly against most mapped textures, procedural textures will usually not look as good.

But there are some very specific times you really ought to try a procedural shader.

I have, just in the past few days, hit situations where 'oh, the camera is zoomed in on the floor of this scene and the map looks AWFULLY pixelated.'

Just now, I'm trying to do a huge scene (using Mesozoic Badlands) and I'm struggling to get everything to fit in my VRAM. And then I realize... wait, does this water and sandy terrain REALLY need to be mapped? No, it doesn't. Since they aren't prominant, dropping a water bump shader and a 'red sands' ground shader saves me about 6 or so large maps (possibly more!)

Things that DO look as good or even better (IMO) than mapped:

Snow (honestly, it's just about the easiest 'put snow or other stuff on other stuff' shader)

Dirt (with the exception of 3DL Dirt shader -- that things amazing. But, of course, 3dl)

Wood (in many cases, at least. Procedural wood shaders are an AWESOME way to breathe life into old 512x512 or whatever content)

I'm doing some Christmas renders so I'm definitely going to be trying the snow. 

I really like the shaders you've made - they seem to be a lot easier on my computer than other shaders. 

Arise!

So NGS Anagenessis got me thinking.

One of the functions of the WTP shaders is the ability to create noise elements from existing maps. That is, you can start with a regular skin (or some other surface) and add blobs of color or bump or whatever.

So in this case the aim is to start with existing skins and add, effectively, high density micropores.

In the image, the right-hand figure uses standard Iray conversion of Eisa skin. The left-hand figure uses the WTP Skin overlay (which uses bump noise for the Top Coat height).

I'm attaching the Skin Bump Overlay. Apply it to skin textures, and plug diffuse map into Base Color, Translucency Color, and Top Coat Color. For Lips, I'd skip the top coat color map and make the bump value lower, like 500x500x500 Bump Tiling.

This is useful in that you end up only needing three maps for a unique figure. If you want more detail, Normal and Displacement maps work, er, normally.

That skin looks amazing! I can't seam to figure out how to get it to work though. 

I really like the shaders you've made - they seem to be a lot easier on my computer than other shaders. 

The key is that procedural shaders use no textures (unless you choose to add them). Now, they also take a little more effort for the renderer to process, but only a little. What this means is that you are MUCH more likely to fit your scene into your memory limits for GPU, whatever those are.

The skin shaders take finesse to look even half-decent at close range, but at medium to long range, they do a fantastic job at looking 'skin like' without adding a dozen large textures to the scene.

Ok, to get it to work:

Start with your skin in Iray of some kind (I'm not sure how well it will translate from 3DL).

Go into your surfaces, click Default Templates, and then select the first three templates. Ctrl-click on the Skn Bump Overlay and select 'Images: Ignored'.

And there you go -- it keeps the original images wherever they are.

(Note that if the original surface didn't have your diffuse map in Translucency Color, you may want to add it there; the shader is optimized for that approach)

I should note that I'm still experimenting with the skin overlay. I'm not 100% satisfied with it yet.

Then again, free, so.

The key is that procedural shaders use no textures (unless you choose to add them). Now, they also take a little more effort for the renderer to process, but only a little. What this means is that you are MUCH more likely to fit your scene into your memory limits for GPU, whatever those are.

The skin shaders take finesse to look even half-decent at close range, but at medium to long range, they do a fantastic job at looking 'skin like' without adding a dozen large textures to the scene.

Ok, to get it to work:

Start with your skin in Iray of some kind (I'm not sure how well it will translate from 3DL).

Go into your surfaces, click Default Templates, and then select the first three templates. Ctrl-click on the Skn Bump Overlay and select 'Images: Ignored'.

And there you go -- it keeps the original images wherever they are.

(Note that if the original surface didn't have your diffuse map in Translucency Color, you may want to add it there; the shader is optimized for that approach)

Thank you, Will! I have one more question (I hope you don't mind). :) Which map is the "diffuse" map? I see a lot of different maps. Medium gray, colored maps, dark gray/black, and light gray ones.

None of them are labled diffuse. They are labeled "B", "D", "S", "SSS". Is it the colored map labeled "D"?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

None of them are labled diffuse. They are labeled "B", "D", "S", "SSS". Is it the colored map labeled "D"?

B=Bump

D=Diffuse

S=Specular

SSS=SSS

What MJC said. Diffuse maps look the most like skin, more or less, and will be the maps placed in Base Color (if you double check before applying).

I will admit that, experimenting with the skin overlay, it doesn't look as good as NGS Anagenessis (which is what inspired me to try it). But hey. ;)

The big win, IMO, is the skin shaders for toons or for medium-range figures where you don't need details and the textures are just going to bog you down.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

What is SSS?

Subsurface Scattering. Some skins have special SSS color maps. When translated to Iray, the map may work in translucency color.