Will Timmins' Procedural Shaders

12346»

Comments

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335

Perhaps a naming convention for your shaders, so people know what the shader is designed to be applied to?  Something like "ShaderNameSomething_GS" for a shader that is designed to be applied to a geoshell?  A shader that is designed to be a base layer wouldn't have any suffix.

Of course, we can apply a geoshell-designed shader wherever we want, but that way we'd have an idea before applying it that it's probably going to look odd if it isn't on a geoshell.....

• ConnaticConnatic Posts: 279

Perhaps some instructions on how to use the shaders would be a major help.  Some of them do what I expect, and others cause unforseen results.  I realize that there is more to it, that I am not applying them in a proper order, or leaving something out.  Something that says Apply one of these.....then create a geoshell, followed by one of these...

It is not easy to begin experimenting when you are clueless.

I really appreciate what you are doing with these shaders, Will.  I can see the enormous potential, but so far I have not made much progress in using them.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890
    edited January 2017

Did you look at the documentation?

It's here: http://wtshaders.wikidot.com/wtp-home

There's a link in the text of the Sharecg site, and I think in the readme that comes with it. I haven't updated it for WTP3 yet, though.

Anything that says 'layers' is intended to be added to an Iray decal or Geoshell. (I may have dropped the ball on doing that for the WTP3 stuff)

All the Grunge stuff is supposed to be used on a geoshell or decal.

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • I did find the Wikidot instructions and read through them - but I think the thing was that I didn't understand some of the prerequisite knowledge about shaders that your documentation (rightfully) assumes anyone interested in shaders should already know. You're explaining how to use your shaders in particular, not how to use shaders, generally. :) 

But I think a lot of people are grabbing your shaders and then they start applying them and they go, "whajushappened?!?" 

Geoshells were what I was missing. Thanks for confirming that the way I have been doing it is the right way to do it. 

• ConnaticConnatic Posts: 279

Thanks, Will.  I looked in the second and third zips and missed the readme in the first one.  I had not noticed the link on sharecg.  

Much of the info in both the readme and the wiki I find confusing.  As I experiment with the shaders on the shader-ball I am gaining familiarity.  So, I am making progress.

As I figure out how to use these I am quite impressed with the results.  Associating what I see with the terminology hopefully will increase my comprehension and the descriptions will become clear to me. 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

I've mostly shifted discussion over to this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/141136/will-s-freebies#latest

Feel free to ask me questions! I'm happy to help folks out.