Attn PAs: Please stop it. Just stop, okay?

PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
edited August 2016 in The Commons

Stop changing my render dimensions.

I just finished wasting two hours rendering a scene. Setting it up in the render window, rendering it, and post work took me about two hours. Then I noticed that it rendered at 1300x1000 instead of my usual 1200x1000. I can't use it. The scene is too tightly composed to crop, so I have to go back and re-compose it, render it again, and redo the postwork. I realize that your time is valuable, but so is mine. If I had spent those two hours in my shop, I would have earned far more than I paid for your product.

This is just the most recent product that I have found to do this, and I can think of no reason for it. You don't know what render dimensions I need, please just leave them alone the way I set them. I even tried locking the settings and reloading the scene, but that didn't work. Oh, the numbers in the render tab stayed at 1200x1000 and 6.0:5.0, but in the corner of the window it said 13:10, and rendered at 1300x1000.

Why are you guys even doing this? It's more work for you, and more work for me.

Please, just stop it. Leave my render dimensions alone.

Post edited by Petercat on

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,592

How did you load it? I have never really seen this issue, then again once I start a scene I tend to merge items into it so that if there are custom setings, they won't jack up the scene I have already.

• To prevent scenes changing your render settings on load go to Edit, Preferences, Scene and check Render Settings Ignore when opening a Scene File.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

To prevent scenes changing your render settings on load go to Edit, Preferences, Scene and check Render Settings Ignore when opening a Scene File.

Will that change anything else? There might be scene-specific changes that are beneficial.

• lwaveslwaves Posts: 237

I'd guess the settings are there so that some folks can effectively just load and render at an okay resolution. I don't know.

Not meaning this in any kind of harsh way, but how difficult would it be for you to check your render resolution before you finalise and render. Or instead of loading the scene you could merge it and your settings might remain the same (not tested). I'm sorry but this seems to be more down to you than them.
    It's true that they don't know your settings but again it comes down to you to check them before you go too far, especially as it apppears to have happened before and your time is valuable. If it means that much you should have checked first. Why wouldn't you check? Surely you check everything else is okay before you hit render, so why not that?

lwaves said:

I'd guess the settings are there so that some folks can effectively just load and render at an okay resolution. I don't know.

Not meaning this in any kind of harsh way, but how difficult would it be for you to check your render resolution before you finalise and render. Or instead of loading the scene you could merge it and your settings might remain the same (not tested). I'm sorry but this seems to be more down to you than them.
    It's true that they don't know your settings but again it comes down to you to check them before you go too far, especially as it apppears to have happened before and your time is valuable. If it means that much you should have checked first. Why wouldn't you check? Surely you check everything else is okay before you hit render, so why not that?

I usually do check but sometimes I forget. I can't remember everything every time. It doesn't happen often enough for checking to be a habit, and the only times I miss it is when the dimensions are close to what I normally use. Why should I have to check every time? Why can't the artists just not do it to begin with? If people are just going to render with whatever settings come up, then the settings from the last time they used DAZ should work just as well.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

I'm assuming you are clicking something like 'load set.'

In this case, you can right-click and do 'merge into scene' to preserve whatever you have set up.

Some people want a total scene set up in a particular way of the PA's choosing, highlighting certain parts of the image, etc. Some people don't, and you have the tools necessary.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

Petercat, are you referring to a scene you are loading?  I don't understand what involvement you mean by the PAs.  If it is a scene, it would by nature of how a scene loads, have render dimensions.  It would be up to you to check if you want the render any different size wise.

I was about to post what Will said.  If you want to make sure it loads to work with what you've set up, then you want to merge and not just load it.  Things are set up by a PA to be optimal for what they feel is best for the setup, but you may need different.  There are no defaults when it comes to these things.  

I'm assuming you are clicking something like 'load set.'

In this case, you can right-click and do 'merge into scene' to preserve whatever you have set up.

Some people want a total scene set up in a particular way of the PA's choosing, highlighting certain parts of the image, etc. Some people don't, and you have the tools necessary.

Usually I load the set first then add to it.

Never mind. Whenever I buy a new set, I'll just load it, set things up the way that I want them, and save it as a set for later reuse.

Petercat, are you referring to a scene you are loading?  I don't understand what involvement you mean by the PAs.  If it is a scene, it would by nature of how a scene loads, have render dimensions.  It would be up to you to check if you want the render any different size wise.

And, yet, only a few scenes do this.

All scenes I have ever saved, save the dimensions I set up.  Perhaps the scenes that are as you want just happen to coincide.

edited August 2016

All scenes I have ever saved, save the dimensions I set up.  Perhaps the scenes that are as you want just happen to coincide.

That's a possibility. BTW, I thought PA was a term for Providing Artists. What does it really mean?

Edit: Nope, checked a dozen sets with an odd render size (1214x337). None of them changed my render dimensions. Abandoned City, Back Alley, ten others. No changes.

Set, scene. I thought that might have been the difference. But Bar Interior loads as a scene without changing dimensions.

• FaveralFaveral Posts: 415

I've been including my render settings in my scene files (It's an option I could uncheck, it wouldn't be a problem)

The reason I include them with the scene, is mostly because of the settings other than dimension...Like environment strength, ISO, shutter speed etc.

This makes it so when you render the scene it looks exactly like the promos, you don't have to fiddle with setting all this up, which can dramatically affect for example the brightness of the render.

I actually depend on the scene to have the dimensions since I need that information, specifically, for my renders.  So I am not sure what the difference is, but I would recommend you always check your render settings as part of your workflow.  Even with your own work.  Many a time I thought I knew what size I was rendering at, only to realize I'd changed it for some reason before hitting the render command.

• Petercat said:

I just finished wasting two hours rendering a scene. Setting it up in the render window, rendering it, and post work took me about two hours. Then I noticed that it rendered at 1300x1000 instead of my usual 1200x1000. I can't use it. The scene is too tightly composed to crop, so I have to go back and re-compose it, render it again, and redo the postwork. I realize that your time is valuable, but so is mine. If I had spent those two hours in my shop, I would have earned far more than I paid for your product.

This is just the most recent product that I have found to do this, and I can think of no reason for it. You don't know what render dimensions I need, please just leave them alone the way I set them. I even tried locking the settings and reloading the scene, but that didn't work. Oh, the numbers in the render tab stayed at 1200x1000 and 6.0:5.0, but in the corner of the window it said 13:10, and rendered at 1300x1000.

This is a size that DAZ set for the store we have nothing to do with it, so you need to point it at them. Marketing want this size and that's all there is to it !

Faveral said:

I've been including my render settings in my scene files (It's an option I could uncheck, it wouldn't be a problem)

The reason I include them with the scene, is mostly because of the settings other than dimension...Like environment strength, ISO, shutter speed etc.

This makes it so when you render the scene it looks exactly like the promos, you don't have to fiddle with setting all this up, which can dramatically affect for example the brightness of the render.

Okay, now that makes sense. Thanks for taking the time. I understand, and yes, by all means keep doing it then.

edited August 2016

I actually depend on the scene to have the dimensions since I need that information, specifically, for my renders.  So I am not sure what the difference is, but I would recommend you always check your render settings as part of your workflow.  Even with your own work.  Many a time I thought I knew what size I was rendering at, only to realize I'd changed it for some reason before hitting the render command.

Heh. Yeah, I do that often enough for myself. Usually when I do a portrait and forget to go back to my usual landscape orientation. It's only when I'm turning out webcomic pages and am in the groove that something like this becomes a problem. That's why it's so annoying, it threw me completely out of my groove and across the river. I did a dozen renders yesterday, and was flowing through the postwork today when it hit. That one scene required the most postwork, too!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593

...going from 4.8 to the 4,9 beta, I noticed the render camera for an older scene I wanted to run a render test on was moved in and lowered slightly.  Also all the locks I had set for that camera's parameter sliders were gone..

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

Check the dimensions set up in the camera you are rendering through. These can be set to a different size to the sizes set up in the environment tab, which would be your default settings. You can have different cameras in a scene set to view and render at different aspects and settings depending on how you want the render to look. One camera could be set for a landscape view from far away; one for an intimate close-up in landscape or portrait; one set to zoom in on a specific area and each one set to render at a different aspect ratio and pixel size. The image will be rendered with the parameters set for whichever camera the scene is being viewed through, that includes any DOF settings too.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited August 2016
    Petercat said:

Select Camera.

Parameters Tab > Dimensions > Use Local Dimensions [ON] > Set Pixel Size and Ratio as required.

This way you can have a Default Camera always load when you start Daz, and make sure it has your preferred settings. Just ensure the Camera has an obvious name: MyRenderSettings for example.

An easy check, would then be to ensure you have that camera as the render camera - no need to specifically check settings; it makes it a quick visual check.

I have a scene file load automatically; it has a camera, a lamp hidden away with an incredibly low amount of light (so the light is not used on cameras), and a plane that would show up in renders for position items to the ground-level. I've also protected it in windows so I can't automatically overwrite it when saving.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,439
    Petercat said:

That's a possibility. BTW, I thought PA was a term for Providing Artists. What does it really mean?

I believe it's currently "Published Artist(s)", though they seem to change what the "P" stands for every few years.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

When I opened this thread, I thought it was going to be the same plea I've been debating creating a topic on for some time.

My plea?

PA's please, could you pretty please... stop releasing all these cool products that I really want? (at least until I catch up) My wishlist is overflowing and my bank account can't handle it!

:)

...your wishlist is overflowing?  I've been so broke since mid February, the only content I've downloaded since then were freebies (which I didn't yet have) and two items I bought with a GC.

Petercat said:

I believe it's currently "Published Artist(s)", though they seem to change what the "P" stands for every few years.

I've only ever known it as Published, but was informed they have used Premiere, but those are the only two terms.

I haven't seen my wishlist below 500 items for a long time.

Though to be honest, I'm probably never going to get 3/4 of the items on there; lots of them are 'this is pretty neat but I don't really need to get it and I'll put it here so that if it's ever on an absurd 90%+ sale I can reconsider'

• pdspds Posts: 593

I haven't seen my wishlist below 500 items for a long time.

Though to be honest, I'm probably never going to get 3/4 of the items on there; lots of them are 'this is pretty neat but I don't really need to get it and I'll put it here so that if it's ever on an absurd 90%+ sale I can reconsider'

My own Wishlist is migrating into that territory as well, filled with items that looked interesting, but not stuff I felt the need to buy immediately. The "problem" now is that with sales like today's 48-hour toon and Genesis sale, I have to compare my Wishlist to the Sale items lists, and that's often more work than it's worth. It would be great if you could filter a list of sale items according to whether they were on your Wishlist. Maybe I've just overlooked that option?

Look up Wishlistify. It converts one of the boxes in the search stuff to 'Only show stuff on my wishlist.'

VERY USEFUL

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,990

Yes, I can also recommend Wishlistyfy. http://3dwishlist.com/bookmarklet

• Stryder87Stryder87 Posts: 899

Look up Wishlistify. It converts one of the boxes in the search stuff to 'Only show stuff on my wishlist.'

VERY USEFUL

I've noticed lately that the PC+ box has been replaced with a Clear All button when you click on a Sale Banner.  Quite annoying.

No PC.jpg
    437 x 172 - 13K

...I need to hit the Megabucks tonight to clear my whishlist. 8.7$ million ought to handle it.