Carrara Challenge #27: “Carrara 9, Give us a Sign” WIP Thread: Voting has started.

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited September 2016
    head wax said:

Here's a variation on The Raiders of the Lost Software

used Toon pro for the outlines on the left

there's also the sand plugin one combined with a diffuse render pass 

Wow! Absolutely wonderful! I have that Sand plugin... Haven't tried it in years! I'd love to try Toon Pro! I'd love to eventually have the complete collection of DCG!!! 

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    diomede said:

I'm glad, one of my favorites.

PhilW said:

The song made me smile!

Yes! I played it when you've first posted it. Wonderful! I love it when art is inspired by song, being a musician and all ;)

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    diomede said:

PhilW said:

The song made me smile!

Yes! I played it when you've first posted it. Wonderful! I love it when art is inspired by song, being a musician and all ;)

"Good Grief Charlie Brown" glad Phil mentioned it was a song... I thought it was a pic only.

Guess my art is vagely inspired by song since I'm alway Rockin' out to something while using Carrara or doing anything at the computer.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,751

Quick question for enterting an image into the contest: 

How to I link directly to a specific comment (i.e. the WIP entry)? I keep looking for a "permalink" type option, but can't seem to find it...

The time stamp under the posters avatar is the link to the post... Right mouse click and copy link on a PC.. Maybe similar on a Mac dunno.

edited September 2016
    Stezza said:

Quick question for enterting an image into the contest: 

How to I link directly to a specific comment (i.e. the WIP entry)? I keep looking for a "permalink" type option, but can't seem to find it...

The time stamp under the posters avatar is the link to the post... Right mouse click and copy link on a PC.. Maybe similar on a Mac dunno.

Yup. This image may help 

Note that older posts may show a date instead of the time of the post... same link works ;)

Link2SpecificPost.jpg
    667 x 525 - 220K
    wgdjohn said:
    diomede said:

PhilW said:

The song made me smile!

"Good Grief Charlie Brown" glad Phil mentioned it was a song... I thought it was a pic only.

Guess my art is vagely inspired by song since I'm alway Rockin' out to something while using Carrara or doing anything at the computer.

Now that you mention it, I'm almost always Rockin' out too... even when it's not Rock! LOL

Since I started my whole movie ambition, I've taken a keen liking to movie and game soundtracks. I especially like them when they cross a bit of symphonic orchestra with rock, which is quite popular these days! 

A lot of my art is inspired by music and a lot of my music is inspired by art!

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

@Dart Yes I am new to the challenges here and lovin it!!. Not sure who to bribe yet but I am getting there. 

Excellent work DustRider

So... who do we bribe? I don't think I stand a chance without... oh... wait a sec... yeah, never mind. I'm always broke anyways!!! LOL

Yeah... Dust Rider's always crankingout those killer renders! I always love them, too!!! 

Thanks Dart!

There's been a lot of great images posted for this challenge. Voting will be REALLY difficult this time!

DustRider said:

@Dart Yes I am new to the challenges here and lovin it!!. Not sure who to bribe yet but I am getting there. 

Excellent work DustRider

So... who do we bribe? I don't think I stand a chance without... oh... wait a sec... yeah, never mind. I'm always broke anyways!!! LOL

Yeah... Dust Rider's always crankingout those killer renders! I always love them, too!!! 

Thanks Dart!

There's been a lot of great images posted for this challenge. Voting will be REALLY difficult this time!

It's so easy to say nice thing about your renders! It really is!

Agreed... there are still a lot to be loaded into the entry thread. Looks like a lot of work is still going on! So cool! I'm still totally undecided on my third entry... Chaos or the goth chick or make something new. Personally, I kinda like the Action Figures Sold Separately (goth chick, with cherry-flavored Carrara 9 candy) better... but then I like Chaos and his minions... and I really like the way the DCG shaders turned out on the Carrara 9 sign for that one... Argh   LOL

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited September 2016

Thinking about adding one more thing to my outdoor pond entry.  After watching a video on volumetric effects in Blender it occured to me that you might be able to do most of that in Carrara too so I've been playing around with he scatter options under transparency and when you put a texture in there you can get some very neat results.  I'm going to try tomorrow to add some little floating dust specks in my scene using this technique (I can do it in about 10 seconds in Photoshop, but always good to know how to do something in Carrara and it doesn't seem to add very much time to the render on my simple test scene).

Here's a couple of my test renders:

The volumetric effect is created by three big 10' cubes covering everything but the camera.  They each have all channels but transparency set to none, transparency Intensity is set to 100%, and transparency absorption is set to black.  For one cube the transparency scattering is set to white to give the overall volume effect. For the second cube the transparency scattering is set to a noise texture to give some variation to the density.  For the third cube the transparency scattering is set to spots to give the "dust particles."  Playing with the absorption/scattering settings in the top transparency channel takes some time to figure out for each scene, but it's fun to play with.  The first one is lit with just a single spotlight from above, the second one I added an orage bulb behind the volumetric cubes and close to the ground.

The whole idea is based on a video by Mark Bremmer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVqvx0gCkQc

ScatteringCubes000.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 459K
    ScatteringCubes001.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,919
    edited September 2016

MDO2010 said:

Thinking about adding one more thing to my outdoor pond entry.  After watching a video on volumetric effects in Blender it occured to me that you might be able to do most of that in Carrara too so I've been playing around with he scatter options under transparency and when you put a texture in there you can get some very neat results.  I'm going to try tomorrow to add some little floating dust specks in my scene using this technique (I can do it in about 10 seconds in Photoshop, but always good to know how to do something in Carrara and it doesn't seem to add very much time to the render on my simple test scene).

Here's a couple of my test renders:

The volumetric effect is created by three big 10' cubes covering everything but the camera.  They each have all channels but transparency set to none, transparency Intensity is set to 100%, and transparency absorption is set to black.  For one cube the transparency scattering is set to white to give the overall volume effect. For the second cube the transparency scattering is set to a noise texture to give some variation to the density.  For the third cube the transparency scattering is set to spots to give the "dust particles."  Playing with the absorption/scattering settings in the top transparency channel takes some time to figure out for each scene, but it's fun to play with.  The first one is lit with just a single spotlight from above, the second one I added an orage bulb behind the volumetric cubes and close to the ground.

The whole idea is based on a video by Mark Bremmer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVqvx0gCkQc

thanks for that, learnt something again :)

Post edited by Headwax on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,919

thanks Diomede Dart et Jay,

!

Jay that sand plug in is  http://carraracafe.com/plugins/free-carrara-plugins-for-blackwhite-and-sand-rendering/

the toon pro is found by googling Digital Carvers Guild - Toon! Pro for Carrara 

sorry cant link to it because of TOS

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    edited September 2016

I totally changed the composition of my image - there was way too much going on with no focus whatsoever, and everything was really tiny and...well anyway, what I am posting isn't even close to a final composition. Just some progress and some initial attempts at some post effects. I'm glad I waded  into this territory a few days early because of course I encountered some "gotchas".

Even if I fail to submit a final image I am glad I took part in this challenge.. I have learned a ton in just these past few weeks. smiley

So, first image is a simple "Beauty" shot of this WIP. Second is currently my biggest problem: I tried rendering 2 simple monsters with Dynamic Hair using an Alpha Channel, and you can see some of the Hair is strangely clipped from the image? I tried both Alpha and Pre Multiplied Alpha, made sure the interpolation in my compositing editor tried looking at both, yet the same clipped results. In the final test comp I simply created a very crude mask from an image of the 2 monsters rendered against a black background - no alpha - full of edge disasters...Any advice would be appreciated.

Next two images are just the 2 monsters rigged...ugh, after I had posed them, so I never got back to their original T-Pose...but you get the idea.

Last image is the new WIP with some attempts at depth and Aerial Perspective. It's been about a year since I experimented with these techniques so it is very crude.

Now I am Carrara-ed out for the evening. I have been toiling away for the last few days. Everyone, is doing fantastic work, I haven't even had time to comment on the final entries yet. Happy Friday!

wip_beauty.jpg
    720 x 720 - 199K
    monsters_alpha.png
    720 x 720 - 482K
    purple_puppet_rig.jpg
    1141 x 1005 - 187K
    green_puppet_rig.jpg
    1144 x 1003 - 243K
    wip_003a.jpg
    720 x 720 - 544K
    Post edited by DesertDude on
  • Wow, this thing is still going on, good job ya all ...

Just got another idea this morning, Carrara 9 Meme, lol smiley

Rendered with Draft renderer in Sketch mode (I bet no one used it in this challenge) with Carrara 8, I have 4 more images like this, but you'll get the idea, lol wink

Canned DAZ characters used ...

Cheers angel

C9Meme.jpg
    1500 x 600 - 88K
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    edited September 2016

Wow, this thing is still going on, good job ya all ...

Just got another idea this morning, Carrara 9 Meme, lol smiley

Rendered with Draft renderer in Sketch mode (I bet no one used it in this challenge) with Carrara 8, I have 4 more images like this, but you'll get the idea, lol wink

I think you are right...Draft renderer I used *once*...so long ago...

Interesting results FifthElement

Post edited by DesertDude on
    edited September 2016

Couldn't give up on my entry, #15,... I've just modified Grass and Land shaders a tiny bit, star shading changed, changed the fog settings, created 1 more object to add spikes/spires to the stars and finally changed my signature to a Carrara Text object. The new changes now show up as my entry. I'm almost happy with it. :)

Below is the original entry pic.

Carrara 9_90_FIN2.png
    1024 x 768 - 1M
    Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • I think you are right...Draft renderer I used *once*...so long ago...

Well, me too, here is result of fiddling with those renders in Fusion, looks like poor's man toon shader, or something, lol smiley

Carrara9Meme.jpg
    729 x 1218 - 458K

LOL... very good

• Thanks John smiley

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited September 2016

Seeing all the great work everyone is doing, I just couldn't give up on my first idea. This is quite a bit different in implementation, but the same basic"idea".

Turns out that using 5 "fully" clothed Genesis 2 figures (with hair) is pretty system intensive. The scene uses 17Gb of RAM, while rendering in Octane it uses almost 24Gb of system RAM, but The GPU only used about 4.7Gb to render. This was just my way of showing that Carrara users do use DS content. I did a lot of mats/shader work and figure posing and pose refining for this one. Crashed Carrara once (and lost a hour or so of work), probably because I was using to much RAM (had several other things going on at the same time). The image is lit with the Octane default environment (just provides low level ambient light) and one mesh light. Rendered with Octane 3 using path tracing via the Carrara plugin.

Please zoom to full resolution (2400 x 1400)

Aug Render2.jpg
    2400 x 1400 - 563K
    Aug WIP2.JPG
    1599 x 997 - 282K
    Post edited by DustRider on
  • DustRider said:

Seeing all the great work everyone is doing, I just couldn't give up on my first idea. This is quite a bit different in implementation, but the same basic"idea".

Turns out that using 5 "fully" clothed Genesis 2 figures (with hair) is pretty system intensive. The scene uses 17Gb of RAM, while rendering in Octane it uses almost 24Gb of system RAM, but The GPU only used about 4.7Gb to render. This was just my way of showing that Carrara users do use DS content. I did a lot of mats/shader work and figure posing and pose refining for this one. Crashed Carrara once (and lost a hour or so of work), probably because I was using to much RAM (had several other things going on at the same time). The image is lit with the Octane default environment (just provides low level ambient light) and one mesh light. Rendered with Octane 3 using path tracing via the Carrara plugin.

Please zoom to full resolution (2400 x 1400)

They use a lot less as props

in DS if you convert first the clothes then the figures to props and save a duf, or export an obj you can load lots of them.

• here is a darft of mine

car9 draft.png
    640 x 480 - 106K
  • @Stezza & @Dart That's how that works, thank you so much for your explanations.

@FifthElement Very funny - made me laugh!!

@DustRider That's a great render. My system struggles with one-two characters in one scene, I shudder to think what would happen with 5...

• Jay VersluisJay Versluis Posts: 236
    edited September 2016

Had another idea:

The Carrara 9 Project has been worked on for several years, but the marketing team couldn't agree on a price so eventually they cancelled it. I added the speech bubble with Comic Life, everything else was done in Carrara (including the Carrara 9 Box).

Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 15.50.01.png
    2672 x 1525 - 1M
    Ditched.jpg
    1920 x 1068 - 461K
    Post edited by Jay Versluis on
  • Thanks Jay, well, I was not happy enough with draft renerer so I rerendered the whole thing again using normal renderer and YAToon (free Carrara toon plugin).

Pluged the new files in old Fusion setup and added few more FX and here is the result smiley

Carrara9MemeYT.jpg
    728 x 1220 - 440K
  • Here is Fusion screenshot smiley

C9MemeFusion.jpg
    1555 x 875 - 488K

Nice, neat flow Fifth! Very nice!

Excellent work everybody! Six days left!

edited September 2016

Since there's still time, and I'm not sure if this will go for this or the Post your Renders thread (since that's where I got the inspiration, along with the 'desolation' style themes going on in here), I thight I'd just post this here as to not disqualify it. ;)

This is a fun concept I've come up with, after magaremoto got me even more into the idea of Frank Frazetta, Boris Vallejo and many other super-awesome graphic atrists.

This one has no post work, just some really fun (and wild!!!) settings with the realistic sky, flipping plants upside down, going nuts with the terrain editor, etc.,

Just overall fun! ;)  Oh... but along the lines of battle-torn Fantasy.

DesolationEnvA1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 387K

How about placing it in Building Carrara Terrains Intro?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997
    edited September 2016

FifthElement, I love it when people tell a story.  Excellent.

Dart, another great landscape and fantasy setup. 

Jay, that is not a very optimistic point of view!  But another great storytelling piece.

Shlomi, is that a metaball?  Or is it a very smooth vertex object?  Very creative.

Dustrider, wonderful lighting and a great job on the shadows.  Another winner - but we have too many this month!

wgdjohn, the cubes really came together well.  Glad you stick with the idea. 

Here is the blimp pilot and birdman in daylight. Birdman has been retextured.  Day is working much better than moonlight, but the landscape does not lead the eye well.  Will need to adjust somewhat but the clouds were done with replicators.  I thought I had set up the planes (replicator holders) to lead the eye to the island but needs more work.  Lots more to assemble, including the Carrara sign, but making steady progress on this one.

pilot wip.jpg
    1800 x 1125 - 151K
    Post edited by Diomede on