Carrara Challenge #27: “Carrara 9, Give us a Sign” WIP Thread: Voting has started.

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,751
    edited August 2016

PhilW said:
    Stezza said:

that's a cool space 9 craft @PhilW

where can Mr Sparky's construction set can be found... I don't think I have that one and I have a lot of his stuff.. would it be on his site.. I must go and check what I have of his to make sure..

Thanks - Mr Sparky's syuff is here:

http://www.poserdirect.com/vpsfconkitposer.html

A while ago I got an amazing bundle of stuff from PoserDirect for a stupidly low price, I don't think it is available now, but there is still a lot of very usable stuff on that site.

Bought the construction set from Mr Sparky and got the downloads today..

Used bits and pieces from the set and also bits and pieces from DZFire's sets, M3 is out there somewhere floating around with Dart's starry sky.. everything else I made in the modelling room including basic structure of the 330metre space ship and the shuttle craft, creating shading domains and used Carrara's shaders with one distant light and two clouds. I think I have more than 2 renders.. problem is going to find them again.. maybe the explorer can hunt them down.

Carrara9 DeepSpace Explorer

C9SpaceWiP.jpg
    1623 x 942 - 230K
    Carrara9 DeepSpace.jpg
    800 x 450 - 174K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    Stezza said:

PhilW said:
    Stezza said:

where can Mr Sparky's construction set can be found... I don't think I have that one and I have a lot of his stuff.. would it be on his site.. I must go and check what I have of his to make sure..

A while ago I got an amazing bundle of stuff from PoserDirect for a stupidly low price, I don't think it is available now, but there is still a lot of very usable stuff on that site.

Used bits and pieces from the set and also bits and pieces from DZFire's sets, M3 is out there somewhere floating around with Dart's starry sky.. everything else I made in the modelling room including basic structure of the 330metre space ship and the shuttle craft, creating shading domains and used Carrara's shaders with one distant light and two clouds. I think I have more than 2 renders.. problem is going to find them again.. maybe the explorer can hunt them down.

I absolutely Love this scene!!! yes

@Dartanbeck .. thankyou... smiley

• Thank you so much, head wax and Dart! 

• @DesertDude I LOVE the fuzzy little guy :-)

• @Stezza Love the scene - I imagine the Carrara 9 is on its way to the far reaches of Jupiter, chasing to see if there's anything left of the USS Discovery.

edited August 2016

diomede should put a C9 logo on this and enter it!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997
    edited August 2016

Great idea, Dart.  But it is more likely that I will substitute the improved face for the original face that I was going to use for my pilot.  The previous versions of the 9-blimp and pilot are found on page 9 of the thread (coincidence? I think not).  I am hoping to improve the whole figure, including the uvmap.  You can see the flaws in the original uvmap and model linked below.  It would have been serviceable for this project, but not easy to port to other projects.  Will probably run out of time before I can redo the whole model, but we will see.  BTW, Stezza, you are rocking it!  I don't know how you are going to limit yourself to just three entries.  Maybe we could convince Tsar Headwax to allow more than 3 entries. It looks like I missed an entire WIP page (p. 14).  Very impressive work, everyone.  Each approach is so unique.

EDIT:  I've added a toon version and a non-photoreal (NPR) version of the original pilot

Oriinal Pilot with some procedural textures.jpg
    480 x 640 - 20K
    Oriinal Pilot npr.jpg
    1480 x 1973 - 131K
    pilot toon.jpg
    480 x 640 - 20K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Jay VersluisJay Versluis Posts: 236
    edited August 2016

@diomede Yes yes yes, a sketch render! I love the one without the outline, looking great! A highly underrated tool that non-photorealistic option IMHO.

Post edited by Jay Versluis on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,919
    edited September 2016
    diomede said:

Great idea, Dart.  But it is more likely that I will substitute the improved face for the original face that I was going to use for my pilot.  The previous versions of the 9-blimp and pilot are found on page 9 of the thread (coincidence? I think not).  I am hoping to improve the whole figure, including the uvmap.  You can see the flaws in the original uvmap and model linked below.  It would have been serviceable for this project, but not easy to port to other projects.  Will probably run out of time before I can redo the whole model, but we will see.  BTW, Stezza, you are rocking it!  I don't know how you are going to limit yourself to just three entries.  Maybe we could convince Tsar Headwax to allow more than 3 entries. It looks like I missed an entire WIP page (p. 14).  Very impressive work, everyone.  Each approach is so unique.

EDIT:  I've added a toon version and a non-photoreal (NPR) version of the original pilot

talking about impressive work - I love how your models are improving with each - the shaders really work well. I Like the NNPR best :) !!

ah the Three Images ? - better not change the rules so late in the game :) though I see there are several artists who have made more than three excellent  renders .

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited September 2016
    Stezza said:

PhilW said:
    Stezza said:

Nice work Stezza, you managed to get the lighting just right, so much like a NASA shot, - wonder what renderer they use ? :)

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited September 2016
    head wax said:
    diomede said:

talking about impressive work - I love how your models are improving with each - the shaders really work well. I Like the NNPR best :) !!

ah the Three Images ? - better not change the rules so late in the game :) though I see there are several artists who have made more than three excellent  renders .

Very good diomede... head wax is not the only one who admires your character work and renders. Above when Dart mentioned just putting a Nine on the face mask I immediatly thought about Wireframe Pro from DCG...Eric also has Toon Pro... wonder if you have tried either/or before? 

Post edited by wgdjohn on

Entry thread is open now :) http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/110486/carrara-challenge-27-carrara-9-give-us-a-sign-entry-thread

a little early but keep that to yourselves.

remember: the winner NO LONGER has to host the next challenge!

edited September 2016

Ha ha @ToeJam nice entries :) -

and nice new moniker Wendy, you had me worried, I was thinking who in the h&^&&^ll is 'Toejam' ?

@toejam

I think your entry #'s should be 3 & 4

just saying..... yes smiley

Stezza said:

@toejam

I think your entry #'s should be 3 & 4

just saying..... yes smiley

ah yes, I'll fix it, I'll move one of Antara's a little ways !

wow, I just saw all the entries so far!!!!! fantastic works,!

• @Dart Yes I am new to the challenges here and lovin it!!. Not sure who to bribe yet but I am getting there. 

Excellent work DustRider

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,667
    edited September 2016

I fixed it is 3&4 now think we crossposted

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited September 2016

I am really having to fuss and bother with VWD for some reason.  Half the time I am getting an object not found error.  I want to get 2 baseball uniform shots.  One for pitching and one for batting.  Instead I am stuck with my test, which is a runner.

baseball composite 1.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 804K
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

@Dart Yes I am new to the challenges here and lovin it!!. Not sure who to bribe yet but I am getting there. 

Excellent work DustRider

Thanks blush

edited September 2016
    diomede said:

Frustration level is declining.  I love, absolutely love, the way the uniform is folding when I get the VWD plugin working with Carrara.  Still struggling with finding the workflow that will allow me to get the whole scene assembled, as opposed to just the figure.  But don't you like the way the belt held firm and the shirt folded with the slightly twisted torso?  Also, the elastic held just below the knee and the pantlegs folded.  Look at the folds in the back with the letters.  I chose the pinstripes because (a) common in baseball uniforms and (b) help show off the VWD drape.

EDIT: does it look like the shirt is tucked in the pants?  That is what I was going for, even though it is a single mesh.

hya PhilW suggested I drop the figure into my objects folder - and that worked - qwhen I couclnt exoreted the morphed mesh.

Havent tried multiple figures though.

I get the obj not found when the name of the figure is complicated - eg 'K-4' is more likely to cause probe rather than 'Kid'

I get the obj not found errorc when it is invisable (I think) which usually is because I forget to turn visibilty back on  after deleting the new VWD otbject which didnt work.

sometimes the only way is to restart the vwd sim

I should write it down when it happens so I know what causes it.

anyway the shirt looks much better after simming it, nice job

ToeJam said:

I fixed it is 3&4 now think we crossposted

thanks ToeJam

edited September 2016

Here's a variation on The Raiders of the Lost Software

used Toon pro for the outlines on the left

there's also the sand plugin one combined with a diffuse render pass 

templ2e.jpg
    2000 x 1082 - 2M
    temple2sandy.jpg
    2000 x 1082 - 3M
    edited September 2016

I love the raiders of the lost software!  This challenge has such incredible entries.    Important tip.  I will have to remember that selective use of toon pro outlines.  Great effect.  Don't know what I am going to do come voting time.

Unfortunately, It is starting to look like I won't get the kid/baseball image done in time.  I am just having too much trouble fussing with VWD.  It works great when it works (I am so happy!), but I don't seem able to repeat my steps that work with the same mesh a second or third time for fresh poses.  I think I've got it and then when I think I am repeating the same process for a different pose in a fresh scene I get an error.  Can't be memory because I am starting with a fresh scene and nothing else in it.  I need to sit down and do nothing but test the order and procss of how I save and load the meshes that I am using.  The idea that I have in my mind will still fit Lola Lanes' music-inspired thread so rather than rush a result I don't like, I think I will just focus on my blimp pilot and birdman for the challenge, and then post to Llola's thread when I get the baseball image done.. 

If I haven't said it already, the kid/baseball image is inspired by the following song.  Worth a listen.  

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

The song made me smile!

I'm glad, one of my favorites.

PhilW said:

The song made me smile!

@Dart Yes I am new to the challenges here and lovin it!!. Not sure who to bribe yet but I am getting there. 

Excellent work DustRider

So... who do we bribe? I don't think I stand a chance without... oh... wait a sec... yeah, never mind. I'm always broke anyways!!! LOL

Yeah... Dust Rider's always crankingout those killer renders! I always love them, too!!! 

• @head wax WHOA! Love the sandy version especially.

I keep hearing about super cool plugins I never knew existed - Sand Plugin? Toon Plugin? Where might I get those?

• Quick question for enterting an image into the contest: 

How to I link directly to a specific comment (i.e. the WIP entry)? I keep looking for a "permalink" type option, but can't seem to find it...