Aug 2016 New User Contest "General Render" (WIP-THREAD)

Comments

• HollokoHolloko Posts: 75
    edited August 2016

Just for fun, I decided to take the theme a little more literally! This is a VERY early draft. Lighting was litearlly just thrown in to render. The whole thing will be toon style. The pirate who is looking for his eye will actually be missing an eye (either holding a hand over his eye, or creating a black hole, or some other method). Hair also needs adjustments. I will also be adding a background at a later time.

I'm throwing this out there to get some feedback on composition, storytelling, or anything else. Thanks!

pirate lost an eye.png
    900 x 506 - 665K
    Post edited by Holloko on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Well I think that this charactor is going to be the last one, now I can finally finish the background for these guys n gals!!!!

What a time with one not sure WTH was going on today but kept getting a shader error after I rendered the first one which is the one where she is standing, so I changed her to the jena texture on the skin then changed her eyes and added make-up to the close up one. Can someone explain to me why that happened after I already rendered it the first time with no problems????

Edited to add: Not sure why the hair morphed at the same time I morphed her ears can someone help me with that as well??

Mitzy Warrior

00 Mitzy Elf.png
    800 x 1294 - 1001K
    Mitzy Elven Warrior.png
    800 x 1294 - 1M
  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    edited August 2016

Edited to add: Not sure why the hair morphed at the same time I morphed her ears can someone help me with that as well??

Yup, sure can.  You are facing the dreaded Elf Ear Problem.

• Select the hair, then go to Parameters and open up Hidden.  If you don't see Hidden, click the little menu icon for Parameters and click on Show Hidden Properties.
    • You are looking for an Ears option, but for the hair.  Sometimes it may be under Actor instead of Hidden - depends on the hair.
    • When you open up ears, you will see the same morph values that the ears on your character has.  This is because the hair is trying to follow the shape of the ears.
    • Set all these to zero.  Then the hair will return to normal.

Elf 1.jpg
    414 x 396 - 38K
    Elf 2.jpg
    386 x 453 - 35K
    elf 2b.jpg
    215 x 105 - 11K
    Elf 3.jpg
    358 x 511 - 41K
    Elf4.jpg
    420 x 420 - 40K
    Post edited by dracorn on
  • isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    SkpFX said:

@isidorn If you haven't already go through your objects and ensure that they aren't set to a subdivision level higher than what you need. For each subdivision level you remove, it simplifies the object by a factor of 4.

That sounds useful. Thanks! Now I just need to remember it when needed.

isidorn said:

@Knittingmommy It says under the image why the girls are missing. wink

Lighting is causing me more trouble than I expected, although I should have learned and expected that because lighting always causes me trouble! So I'm currently back to the drawing table regarding the lights.

blush  Yeah, that's what I get for reading anything at almost 3 am!  I completely missed the text at the bottom of the page!  But, I figured it was a resource things as I know exactly how much RAM you have. It was kind of funny, though, seeing floating swimsuits.  Still, I can't believe I totally missed an entire section of text!

With Ivan and George being such sexy hunks it's no surprise your eyes got stuck on them and then never moved any further down the post. It's no shame in admitting that. It's a perfectly normal reaction. wink

• sueyasueya Posts: 826

Here's my first draft. Does the lighting look ok?

Scifistephanie.jpg
    969 x 567 - 291K
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    Holloko said:

Just for fun, I decided to take the theme a little more literally! This is a VERY early draft. Lighting was litearlly just thrown in to render. The whole thing will be toon style. The pirate who is looking for his eye will actually be missing an eye (either holding a hand over his eye, or creating a black hole, or some other method). Hair also needs adjustments. I will also be adding a background at a later time.

I'm throwing this out there to get some feedback on composition, storytelling, or anything else. Thanks!

this got the vibe of pirates of the caribean for me, now I want to see what you make of it. I like the camera position with the eye all up front.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Holloko said:

Love the idea and love the eye being right at the front.

dracorn said:

• Select the hair, then go to Parameters and open up Hidden.  If you don't see Hidden, click the little menu icon for Parameters and click on Show Hidden Properties.
    • You are looking for an Ears option, but for the hair.  Sometimes it may be under Actor instead of Hidden - depends on the hair.
    • When you open up ears, you will see the same morph values that the ears on your character has.  This is because the hair is trying to follow the shape of the ears.

I could not remember how to do this the other day.  Was a total blank so this is another thing this week you have taught me lol.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    sueya said:

Here's my first draft. Does the lighting look ok?

The back wall is pulling all of my attention away from the girl.  I'm not sure what story you are telling yet, but I think the back wall needs to be less bright and the light should focus on the girl a bit more.  Good pose and the reflectivity on the suit is really good.

• Realized that i missed an area that was needed in the mask.

august2016a2.jpg
    1023 x 767 - 874K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I wasn't going to enter but I realized a picture I am working on fits the theme so I decided I may as well enter it. I have to d-form & weight paint the straps on the overalls into fitting 1st though...

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    dracorn said:

Thans so much for your help with the ears Dracorn. Now if someone can just help me with the dreded shader error would be great cause it happened again only with the background I was trying to reder this afternoon.

• HollokoHolloko Posts: 75
    Linwelly said:
    Holloko said:

this got the vibe of pirates of the caribean for me, now I want to see what you make of it. I like the camera position with the eye all up front.

I thought of that after I posted it and got to looking at it some more. I think I am going to even try to make the eye look like it is a false wooden eye. We'll see whether or not I am successful on that front.

Thanks, all, for the feedback.

• harrykimharrykim Posts: 225
    edited August 2016

well, here it is ...

Hi there, my contribution is called " ... failed " . It is rendered in IRay based on DS4.9 version, no postwork is done.

I am impressed by this complex scenes with its inteligent highlights, nevertheless I personally be a big fan of minimalism. For me the object should be able to stand alone even it`s just a chair. So I`m focused on posing and atmosphere. Some may find it simple and boring, but this is live.

I just added a G3M into a blank scene for exercise light and shadow, which is my major problem at all, and fooled around with posing the figuer, streched the leg here flexed the arm there and suddenly I had the scene before my eyes. So " I am " has arisen and I like it very much. Only , ... happy life is not he truth alone, which brought me to idea to the opposit.

" ... failed"  is my choice for the competition because I think it has the more potential for optimisation. Feel free to comment and please help me to have a poster on my wall at the end .

Looking forward on your thinking

I am.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 588K
    ... failed.jpg
    1350 x 900 - 424K
    Post edited by harrykim on
    harrykim said:

well, here it is ...

Hi there, my contribution is called " ... failed " . It is rendered in IRay based on DS4.9 version, no postwork is done.

I am impressed by this complex scenes with its inteligent highlights, nevertheless I personally be a big fan of minimalism. For me the object should be able to stand alone even it`s just a chair. So I`m focused on posing and atmosphere. Some may find it simple and boring, but this is live.

I just added a G3M into a blank scene for exercise light and shadow, which is my major problem at all, and fooled around with posing the figuer, streched the leg here flexed the arm there and suddenly I had the scene before my eyes. So " I am " has arisen and I like it very much. Only , ... happy life is not he truth alone, which brought me to idea to the opposit.

" ... failed"  is my choice for the competition because I think it has the more potential for optimisation. Feel free to comment and please help me to have a poster on my wall at the end .

was it intentional that the skin of your guy doesn't fit the UV map? Other than that I like the idea of working with light and shadow and that guy half emerged into the green wall has a lot of potential. in the other render the shadows are not as prominent to make an interesting part of the render as the environment has rather dark colours.

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    edited August 2016

Seems I was terribly wrong in thinking I would get away easy. The shadows makes no sense at all so I'm starting to think I'll have to ditch the HDRI I use for the beach and as main lighting and use an actual beach prop and some other main lightsource.

NU16083 (2).jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 629K
    Post edited by isidorn on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

@Isidorn  It looks like the sun in your HDRI is just slightly off noon.  I don't very much experience with HDRIs like you're using.  There was a freebie awhile back to help with positioning them, but I can't recall what it was called or who it was that made it.  Do you have that?  Maybe it can help you figure out the best position of the sun for the look you want.

@Dracorn  Good tip for the ear!  I wish I'd known that for some of my renders!  I'll have to give that a try the next time I'm dealing with oddly shaped ears.

edited August 2016
    Linwelly said:

Linwelly said:

was it intentional that the skin of your guy doesn't fit the UV map? Other than that I like the idea of working with light and shadow and that guy half emerged into the green wall has a lot of potential. in the other render the shadows are not as prominent to make an interesting part of the render as the environment has rather dark colours.

Hi Linwelly, thanks for your feedback

was that skin intentional ? No it wasnt , but when I tried to find out which of that load of adustment oportunity shows me something interesting I found the Horizontal Tiles.  I was happy with this effect from the beginning and still I am. You mean "... failed" does not work because of the dark environment. So, should I focus my attention more to a less stiled background ?

I am.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 588K
    ... failed.jpg
    1350 x 900 - 424K
    edited August 2016
    isidorn said:

Seems I was terribly wrong in thinking I would get away easy. The shadows makes no sense at all so I'm starting to think I'll have to ditch the HDRI I use for the beach and as main lighting and use an actual beach prop and some other main lightsource.

your male person are just awesome laugh   one thing, and I know you have other problems, ... in the meanwhile it looks more that the male team is in defence, do you know what I mean?

harrykim said:

well, here it is ...

The first piece looks like his leg had been cut off. Perhaps the combination of transparency and maybe reflection can help? I **REALLY** like "Failed." There is power in this piece, because the pose is so well done - especially the subtlty of the interlocking toes. The striped skin isn't necessary, because the pose speaks so much.

The dark background is good because the subject is well lit, and reminds me of classical portraits. The shadow is larger than the man and displays his dark, overwhelming mood. Keep the edges sharp. The wide view also contributes to the mood by making him appear smaller. I like the reflection as well.

It does appear that the bottom of his buttocks is clipping the table - not sure if that is a reflection or not. It can easily be cleaned up in post work.

There isn't much else you need to do with this... Well done.

• dracorn said:
    harrykim said:

well, here it is ...

The first piece looks like his leg had been cut off. Perhaps the combination of transparency and maybe reflection can help? I **REALLY** like "Failed." There is power in this piece, because the pose is so well done - especially the subtlty of the interlocking toes. The striped skin isn't necessary, because the pose speaks so much.

The dark background is good because the subject is well lit, and reminds me of classical portraits. The shadow is larger than the man and displays his dark, overwhelming mood. Keep the edges sharp. The wide view also contributes to the mood by making him appear smaller. I like the reflection as well.

It does appear that the bottom of his buttocks is clipping the table - not sure if that is a reflection or not. It can easily be cleaned up in post work.

I agree with dracon about "Failed", though it looks like his but is poking through the table or whatever he's sitting on. Other then that well done.

dracorn said:

I agree with dracon about "Failed", though it looks like his but is poking through the table or whatever he's sitting on. Other then that well done.

Wow you have seen that with the toes. I´m so happy about that.

Thank you for your comments dracon and Shinij Ikari 9th.

The issue with the butt I could solve imediately. What I`m fighting with is the shadow at the base of the table. As it does not come from fill light, I may get it softer by changing the light source. But for the shadow at the wall I will have to use shader mixer, which is a bit tricky. Adjustment with shadow intensity and softness does not show success in this scene. And maybe I can stop the reflection befor the render frame, that would be great. Is this possible ?

I am.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 588K
    ... failed.jpg
    1350 x 900 - 424K
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

@Isidorn  It looks like the sun in your HDRI is just slightly off noon.  I don't very much experience with HDRIs like you're using.  There was a freebie awhile back to help with positioning them, but I can't recall what it was called or who it was that made it.  Do you have that?  Maybe it can help you figure out the best position of the sun for the look you want.

@Dracorn  Good tip for the ear!  I wish I'd known that for some of my renders!  I'll have to give that a try the next time I'm dealing with oddly shaped ears.

I think @Knittingmommy is reffering to the Light Probe Tool

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    harrykim said:
    dracorn said:

Wow you have seen that with the toes. I´m so happy about that.

Thank you for your comments dracon and Shinij Ikari 9th.

The issue with the butt I could solve imediately. What I`m fighting with is the shadow at the base of the table. As it does not come from fill light, I may get it softer by changing the light source. But for the shadow at the wall I will have to use shader mixer, which is a bit tricky. Adjustment with shadow intensity and softness does not show success in this scene. And maybe I can stop the reflection befor the render frame, that would be great. Is this possible ?

I am in agreement with @Dracorn.  Failed is a powerful image except for the poke through of the butt with the table.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I think @Knittingmommy is reffering to the Light Probe Tool

Yeah, thanks, that was exactly the tool I was thinking. I could not remember the name of it!  

edited August 2016

I just had so much fun with the Melidae Crown that I had to create this render.  I had been working on a Faerie Queen who's appearance changes with the seasons, and I had in mind a crown of butterflies but wasn't sure how to do it.  So I snagged Melidae Crown immediately.

I made some modifications to conform to my mental image of a summer crown - with more green leaves and bunches of grapes. 

It's too bad the portrait contest is over. 

I wanted to see what people thought.

Summer Queen 1000.jpg
    1000 x 1400 - 1M
    Post edited by dracorn on
  • This is the beginnings of a backdrop for my submission this month. Really, really rough draft.

My biggest problem with it is that there's no atmospheric depth to it. Unfortunately, I am using ToonyCam Pro so I can get those outlines, which means I can't use an atmospheric camera. I didn't see any other recommendations, though. Would appreciate any direction.

funAndGamesBackdrop.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M

This is the beginnings of a backdrop for my submission this month. Really, really rough draft.

My biggest problem with it is that there's no atmospheric depth to it. Unfortunately, I am using ToonyCam Pro so I can get those outlines, which means I can't use an atmospheric camera. I didn't see any other recommendations, though. Would appreciate any direction.

Usually I add atmosphere rather late to a render, but as I understand you want this as a backdrop so it is really a flat thing. That means you need to get your atmosphere painted in. If you created this from a scene the question is what renderer do you use and which light. You can use an atmospheric camera (there are different products to use with the different render mashines). what I like to do is use some planes set vertically to the camera in different distances with a greyish colourvalues in the opacity channel (I have one made with GIMP with washed out greys) and tune the opacity to different intensities. That gives me some atmosphere without increasing render times. Important is that your planes don't cut through the buildings at places the camera sees them as that results in ugly lines.

You want to keep the sky black like that or do you want to add a sky at some point? If you want to keep it this dark I still would advise to use some very dark grey, which again helps for the atmosphere.

dracorn said:

I just had so much fun with the Melidae Crown that I had to create this render.  I had been working on a Faerie Queen who's appearance changes with the seasons, and I had in mind a crown of butterflies but wasn't sure how to do it.  So I snagged Melidae Crown immediately.

I made some modifications to conform to my mental image of a summer crown - with more green leaves and bunches of grapes. 

It's too bad the portrait contest is over. 

I wanted to see what people thought.

I was very tempted by that crown as well but I put if off for now. But I like the thought of making it a summer elf/ goddess version.

What irritated me most is the lights in this one. The light on the lady does not correspond with the backgound and the butterflies in the front don't seem to belong to the rest of the image.

You might as well want to think about the pose and expression of the lady. They don't tell a story to me and I don't understand what her expression has to do with the pose nor with the environment. Small nitpick at the end, the trees / bushes in the back are all leafless, which seems strange on a summer render

harrykim said:
    Linwelly said:

Linwelly said:

Hi Linwelly, thanks for your feedback

was that skin intentional ? No it wasnt , but when I tried to find out which of that load of adustment oportunity shows me something interesting I found the Horizontal Tiles.  I was happy with this effect from the beginning and still I am. You mean "... failed" does not work because of the dark environment. So, should I focus my attention more to a less stiled background ?

I wouldnt say less stiled, I get what you want to aim for and the concept is working as you can see from the other comments. I was thinking that your shadows do play an important part and to make them more prominent I would choose a less dark colour for the back wall and the floor. Not really bright but a step or two lighter but still muted.

•  

Here's an idea for me to be working on as I try and figure out what to do with my memory issues on the first project.

august2016-4a.png
    474 x 767 - 599K