Aug 2016 New User Contest "General Render" (WIP-THREAD)

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Question: does the second version make it a little more obvious we have a rescue here? Or am I NOT getting the point across?

If not, how can I fix that?

Thinking of maybe having the rescuee reaching out towards the savior... But I think that might be too much.

Well it's not entirely clear it's a rescue and about the only way to be make it obvious is to have the sitting fellow reach out his hand towards the hero. There could still be police & such in the vicinity but heroes typically arrive way before police do. 

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    edited August 2016

Here is yet another set of charactors right outta the box HIM and HER going to be adding them to the scene as well once it is totally finished.

HIM and HER outta the box.png
    800 x 1294 - 910K
    Post edited by Saphirewild on

Question: does the second version make it a little more obvious we have a rescue here? Or am I NOT getting the point across?

If not, how can I fix that?

Thinking of maybe having the rescuee reaching out towards the savior... But I think that might be too much.

Well it's not entirely clear it's a rescue and about the only way to be make it obvious is to have the sitting fellow reach out his hand towards the hero. There could still be police & such in the vicinity but heroes typically arrive way before police do. 

I agree with you Nonesuch in order to be a rescue the man sitting has to reach out to the savior maybe have someone walking toward them looking in amazement??!!

Here is yet another set of charactors right outta the box HIM and HER going to be adding them to the scene as well once it is totally finished.

Interesting Halloween characters

Interesting Halloween characters

Well Halloween in my favorite time of the year.........but I am not going to give away my secret just yet still so much to do right now with lighting and creating charactors and finding good caractors for this render I have in mind.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited August 2016

More lighting, a little drama, tweaked posing and dirtied him up some (you have no idea what it cost me to put dirt on those shiny white sneakers).

comeWithMeIteration2.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by evilded777 on

More lighting, a little drama, tweaked posing and dirtied him up some (you have no idea what it cost me to put dirt on those shiny white sneakers).

WOW Evil there is a major shine on the man sitting head.....Is that intentional??? I still say he should be reaching out to the hero btw.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Well, I think adding the dirt pays off because they don't stand out like they did before.  They fit into the scene much better now.  So sorry for the trauma that caused. ;)  I have to say I really like the warmer yellow light.  As for the shine on his head that Saphirewild mentions, I think that normally happens with bald heads.  I'm not sure I'd worry too much about it unless it bothers you now that it's been mentioned.  I don't think it is glaring or looks out of place.  A hand reaching out might get the impression you want to give, but I would keep it very subtle like he isn't too sure he wants to reach out or not.  I think you had the right idea that reaching out too much might be, well, too much.  I know I'm not much help.  I'm terrible at giving advice!  I do like where you are going so far.

• More lighting, a little drama, tweaked posing and dirtied him up some (you have no idea what it cost me to put dirt on those shiny white sneakers).

If yiu don't want him reaching out, you could try to show why he needs rescuing - have a leg pinned by debris, and he is straining to get free or something. Maybe give him some scrapes to imply peril. Otherwise it looks like  he's just sitting down.

• Probably too early to commit to an image just yet, but this is what I have at the moment.

I think that the background is a little to washed out maybe if we could see a bit more of what is going on back there it would help tell more of that story you are trying to get across to the viewer. But her pose is real good and his well he is the very unlucky one to tick her off :D

Good point, Saphirewilds. Made a few tweaks.

This is an interesting character and scene, but its confusing to me. She looks like she is grinning, which seems a stark contrast to the rest of the image. I didn't even really realize there was  a human figure in the foreground until someone else pointed it out. Between the DOF and the lack of prominence in the framing, I completely missed that he was even there.

Its very busy. The DOF leads the eye some, but I think the lighting needs to help it out and isolate those things you want us looking at a little better than it does currently.

Her lack of eyes (?) is unsettling and not in a good way.

The guy lying down was a late addition to break up the flatness of the ground a i don't have any rocks or dunes. I'll shift some things to make him a bit more obvious.

I plan to adjust the lighting a little to de-emphasize the background and keep focus on the main character(s).

She is smiling because she enjoys her work; she is not what polite society would call "good people."

And yes those are horns where we humans would expect to see eyes. Disturbing or not, that's who she is.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Probably too early to commit to an image just yet, but this is what I have at the moment.

I think that the background is a little to washed out maybe if we could see a bit more of what is going on back there it would help tell more of that story you are trying to get across to the viewer. But her pose is real good and his well he is the very unlucky one to tick her off :D

This is an interesting character and scene, but its confusing to me. She looks like she is grinning, which seems a stark contrast to the rest of the image. I didn't even really realize there was  a human figure in the foreground until someone else pointed it out. Between the DOF and the lack of prominence in the framing, I completely missed that he was even there.

Its very busy. The DOF leads the eye some, but I think the lighting needs to help it out and isolate those things you want us looking at a little better than it does currently.

The guy lying down was a late addition to break up the flatness of the ground a i don't have any rocks or dunes. I'll shift some things to make him a bit more obvious.

I plan to adjust the lighting a little to de-emphasize the background and keep focus on the main character(s).

She is smiling because she enjoys her work; she is not what polite society would call "good people."

And yes those are horns where we humans would expect to see eyes. Disturbing or not, that's who she is.

I actually like her horns for eyes it most definitey make her very alien and definitely disturbing.  I have to say I totally understood her smiling (good grief what does THAT say about how my mind works?).  Am very interested in seeing where this goes.

Well, I think adding the dirt pays off because they don't stand out like they did before.  They fit into the scene much better now.  So sorry for the trauma that caused. ;)  I have to say I really like the warmer yellow light.  As for the shine on his head that Saphirewild mentions, I think that normally happens with bald heads.  I'm not sure I'd worry too much about it unless it bothers you now that it's been mentioned.  I don't think it is glaring or looks out of place.  A hand reaching out might get the impression you want to give, but I would keep it very subtle like he isn't too sure he wants to reach out or not.  I think you had the right idea that reaching out too much might be, well, too much.  I know I'm not much help.  I'm terrible at giving advice!  I do like where you are going so far.

I like the warmer light as well and the dirty sneakers (he can wash them once he is in a safe place I am sure). 

edited August 2016

Okay moved some things around just a smidge. Changed the lighting.  Still no perfect but a step in the right direction. Fixed the thumb and adjusted her pose slightly.  Also fixed her hair as it had slid halfway off when I moved her. I want to light his face just a bit more as his expression is pretty much what this whole thing is about.  Will try amping up the light from the braizer, maybe upping the fall off rate. I will be doing the majority of the dirt and blood and ripped clothing in postwork although I do have a wound product and dirt shaders I will start with.  But not until I get the rest of it right.  Oh I also fixed the ground plane. I hope lol

Broken Heart 2.png
    1186 x 948 - 2M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

The "hero" is leaning away from the damsell man in distress. To me that means the hero is just encouraging the other guy to "come with me". If the hero was to physically help the other guy off the ground I would expect him to lean towards him, reaching for him. Now it looks more like the hero is in a hurry to get out of there and don't want to stop and wait for the other guy.

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    edited August 2016

This is what I have in progress. Focusing more on the "It's all fun and games" part than the "until someone loses an eye" part. The only lights right now are from the beach HDRI and I don't think it's doing a particulary good job here, so I need to work on that.

NU08161.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 767K
    Post edited by isidorn on
    isidorn said:

This is what I have in progress. Focusing more on the "It's all fun and games" part than the "until someone loses an eye" part. The only lights right now are from the beach HDRI and I don't think it's doing a particulary good job here, so I need to work on that.

Pretty sure those guys aren't going to be focusing on the ball....

• I haven't any ideas for this month so I thought that I'd try to come up with some characters and see if that inspires me.

Here's the first that I've come up with.

august2016-character-idea1.jpg
    1031 x 872 - 286K
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    isidorn said:

The "hero" is leaning away from the damsell man in distress. To me that means the hero is just encouraging the other guy to "come with me". If the hero was to physically help the other guy off the ground I would expect him to lean towards him, reaching for him. Now it looks more like the hero is in a hurry to get out of there and don't want to stop and wait for the other guy.

It is called "Come With Me"... so I guess I got part of it right.

isidorn said:

Well, that's what I saw in it to begin with. The possible hero beckoning the uncertain man (who looks like he might crab walk backwards from the hero) from a calamity taking place, hence the bricks. I still like the the 1st best one though.

• Here's a second character idea for this month. I'm starting to think something 'Shadowrunish' maybe. Still need to figure out a location and "Wiskey Tango Foxtrot" is going on.

august2016-character-idea2.png
    533 x 864 - 339K
  • rufuslongrufuslong Posts: 11
    edited August 2016

My first idea for this month. What do you think?

yawn.jpg
    1201 x 800 - 294K
    Post edited by rufuslong on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    rufuslong said:

My first idea for this month. What do you think?

Is she waking up from an all night party?  It looks dark...is she getting tired and going to sleep?  I am not sure what story you are trying to tell.

I like the lighting.  The red and blue remind me of neon lights.  It's a shame the poor girl was drinking alone (I only see 1 glass).  If she finished off 3 bottles alone I would expect them to be a bit more random.  The table is a litte too neat and tidy.

You have a great start and I am looking forward to seeing your next version.

I haven't any ideas for this month so I thought that I'd try to come up with some characters and see if that inspires me.

Here's the first that I've come up with.

I like the start you have made on your characters.  The one thing that struck me immediately upon seeing this guy was the smoke from his gun.  I am not an expert on guns but it looks a little too opaque and it is obscuring his face.

isidorn said:

I agree with isidorn and since the guy looks to be mobile encouraging him to move on his own seems like the natural thing to do.  Dirtying up those clothes makes a big difference.  They were way too clean before.  I like your dramatic lighting as well.  Really focuses the attention on the characters.

edited August 2016
    isidorn said:

Nice to see someone focusing on the "fun and games" part of the challenge. 

You have done a good job with posing.  The only suggestion I have is the George moving into position to receive the beach ball.  His hands should be palm out in anticipation to hit the ball back to the girls.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on

Okay moved some things around just a smidge. Changed the lighting.  Still no perfect but a step in the right direction. Fixed the thumb and adjusted her pose slightly.  Also fixed her hair as it had slid halfway off when I moved her. I want to light his face just a bit more as his expression is pretty much what this whole thing is about.  Will try amping up the light from the braizer, maybe upping the fall off rate. I will be doing the majority of the dirt and blood and ripped clothing in postwork although I do have a wound product and dirt shaders I will start with.  But not until I get the rest of it right.  Oh I also fixed the ground plane. I hope lol

The tigher camera angle really brings the focus on the figures. 

Will wait to see your next version before commenting on lighting.

Probably too early to commit to an image just yet, but this is what I have at the moment.

Those horns for eyes are a cool feature and I am sure she knows exactly how to expoit the look against her enemies.

Her left elbow is intersecting her thigh just above the knee.  Moving her leg back slightly should fix that problem without, hopefully, throwing her off balance.

You have developed some interesting characters.  Looking forward to seeing what you do with them...I think.  wink

SkpFX said:

Okay, all those things I said I was going to get done last month didn't get done. In my last post last month I said I was happy with the 3du Little Ones, because they morphed well and were "turn key" for making a cute kid. Well I remembered, I've had a really neat modelling project on the back burner because I haven't been able to model a cute kid I'm happy with, from scratch.

Anyhow, this should give an idea where I'm going this month. The bike is a project I've been working on, but it is also modeled from scratch, and hasn't appeared anywhere except in a WIP thread over at blenderartists.org. And ultimately the bike is just a prop.

It's all in Blender Cycles. The hard part of the character rigging is done. The bend and twist bones properly follow thigh and arm mechanism bones, and all correctives morphs are setup with bone transform drivers to properly deform with the armature.

EDIT: HA, HA, HA, it's one of the rules of reality. Just say you're happy with something and reality will mock you. I said I had all the corrective morphs working properly, and by and large they do. But as soon as I looked back at that image I realize her left elbow is doing something wonky. I'll get it sorted. :)

Looking forward to seeing her in a scene. 

Okay I am pretty happy with this.  My only issue really is that its taken 23 hours to render to 41%. 

I wanted something that was mostly a very stark, sterile environment so that the colors would really stand out.  I also wanted the light to be very strong coming in from the window.  I originally wanted to use faint godrays but honestly, it increased the render times to the point of not being an option. It slowed my machine down so much I couldn't even browse the internet and since this the only pc in the house that's not happening lol.  Its very rare to have anything take more than an hour or so on this machine so I am guessing all the reflective surfaces may be the issue.

You definitely have that pop of colour.  Are all the metal surfaces shiny?  Making them a bit more matte might help with render times and cut down on some of the blowout?  I'm not sure.  I do not create sci-fi scenes very often so do not have a lot of experience in this area.