4.9 categories

Comments

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

@kitakoredaz

i appreciate all your trying to help

but this sounds complicated for me

• Gr00vusGr00vus Posts: 366

I think, eventually, DAZ will need to produce very clear documentation on how to move to 4.9 in regard to categorization. One procedure for keeping custom data in tact while using connect, one procedure for keeping custom data in tact for those who will not use connect. 

Ruphuss said:

@kitakoredaz

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    Gr00vus said:

I think, eventually, DAZ will need to produce very clear documentation on how to move to 4.9 in regard to categorization. One procedure for keeping custom data in tact while using connect, one procedure for keeping custom data in tact for those who will not use connect. 

Ruphuss said:

@kitakoredaz

Working on it, though it isn't as complicated as you might imagine. 

I'm sure it won't be once it gets figured out. It's just a matter of finding the right sequence of activities and documenting them. 

Gr00vus said:

Ruphuss said:

@kitakoredaz

Working on it, though it isn't as complicated as you might imagine. 

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

Yes I am sorry. And I really hope what Cr00vus said.   Actually I have no plan to use DAZ connect thing before,

then hoped so,, but after all,, I needed to connect, to remove my problem once.

even though I keep all step of FAQ  it could not help me . And to be frankly said, I have many question still about DAZ connect package and meta-data.  can not find stable way to manage them with my original product , and categories. and DIM offered products without confliction.

(when I log in , it should auto-install some meta-data again and again,,  I think,, but I do not hope it)

One thing that should be captured in the documentation for moving categories from 4.8 to 4.9 is a reminder to have people map their base directories correctly in 4.9 before they do anything else. I forgot to do this on my first attempt and it caused problems/confusions. I still had problems with custom categories on subsequent attempts to move to 4.9 even when I did establish the base directories first, but it's still another potential source of problems if people don't establlish those correctly.

• Daz_Spooky. You wrote it isn't too complicated. I have written tutorials and reviewed graphic software for 25 years. No one has yet to say how to preserve custom categories. In the past I have experimented with exporting and reimporting data and it has never worked correctly. I have been mentioning this in different threads, which I usually don't do. After the fiasco of going from 4.8 to 4.9, I put back a backup so I can't supply a ticket. I'll try again when I get some more information. 

I know you have helped individuals because I have followed posts.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Yes I am sorry. And I really hope what Cr00vus said.   Actually I have no plan to use DAZ connect thing before,

then hoped so,, but after all,, I needed to connect, to remove my problem once.

even though I keep all step of FAQ  it could not help me . And to be frankly said, I have many question still about DAZ connect package and meta-data.  can not find stable way to manage them with my original product , and categories. and DIM offered products without confliction.

(when I log in , it should auto-install some meta-data again and again,,  I think,, but I do not hope it)

I think we all still have questions.  I will wait and see what happens.

Daz_Spooky. You wrote it isn't too complicated. I have written tutorials and reviewed graphic software for 25 years. No one has yet to say how to preserve custom categories. In the past I have experimented with exporting and reimporting data and it has never worked correctly. I have been mentioning this in different threads, which I usually don't do. After the fiasco of going from 4.8 to 4.9, I put back a backup so I can't supply a ticket. I'll try again when I get some more information. 

Thanks. I believe the major issue being run into is that custom user data was saved as vendor data instead of user data. When vendor data is updated, all the vendor data for that product is dropped and updated with the new data. This is also true of 4.8 and earlier, but the metadata was not updated very often or in any numbers. (A product here another product there.) 

We bear some responsibility for that, as we didn't properly communicate the difference between the two until recently. We are currently looking at what, if anything, can be done with this as Vendor data has to work the way it works in order to be updated. 

There were other causes for the issue, and two of those, so far, have been fixed, and a third one turned out to be a misunderstanding as to what was going on (which has been straightened out). We do appreciate your patience on this. 

If you have filed a ticket, can you please add the steps you used, in DS 4.8 (or earlier) to create your custom Metadata. 

Thanks. 

Oh and as far as more documentation as to how to preserve categories, that is coming, as is my tutorial, as soon as a couple of us can find some breathing room. :) Please keep filing hte tickets. :) 

edited January 2016

MM,,My quesion seems deleted,,

DAZ Spookey, I can understand what you talking about Vendor data and User_data,

they may easy overwrite or conflict each other, when install product meta-data.

but as for me, when I edit daz offered product data, (I needed add cateogry or add compatiblity tto change it real product data)
    I must save them as different name.dsx as different product, then it should not conflict. how DIM or DAZ connect up-dated the product meta-data.

when I re-import my edit product meta-data to ds, it  just make two product meta-data which assgined for same.  then it cause no problem.

but about my case,  I think,, it is because DAZ try to gather all user edit file as one product (LOCAL USER)

then they seems conflict somehow with my product meta-data.  about daz product meta-datas,

I have not seen many trouble about categorize. etc.

but only new saved files or my product seems corrupted (which have no reference with DAZ shop product,

they are made by my sefl from scratch, or items which I boubht or get free items (fromal way! )  from free vendors ,whch  I set product meta-data for them and exported as each product meta-data to keep them.

after install ds 4.9  I import them again, with user_data..  (at first, I import only user_data, as FAQ way)

then it can not produce any category about new saved files  about my subset, (which saved before)

and lost category from these.   then I re-import my original product datas,. but new scene sbuset could not be categorized any more.

DAZ connect or new ds 4.9 should not touch about user customized product data,  I feel.  because it is not of DAZ it is of user.

(to protect me, I already send ticket 1/22. with log files, and how I install ds 4.9 etc.

but I know daz have not officialy supported about these user-made product, then I do not tell all detail )

===================

then if DAZ solve about this problem I must strongly suggest, DAZ to offer document about the clear stable way

to make "product data"  as official.  I can clearly point out why it need for daz studiio .

smart content should not be only for daz shop product.

I understand DAZ do not need to support about prolbem which user-made product data caused

(user may mistake often as same as I had been before,, when make product data)

but at least, DAZ must need officialy Admit, User make product data, and offer clear document "how to"

not conflict with user_data, and DAZ connect things.

Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • DAZ_Spooky. Your answers have helped. Perhaps you can clarify for me how you describe what I have done.

I'm a little confused about your discussion of categories and don't know where mine fit in your discussion. IN 4.7 and, then, 4.8 I never added metadata. All I did was create a category (see picture) and copy paste from products or other sources already in DAZ Studio such as unassigned in Default into my own category. Another question in reference to this. Does this mean that I have never updated anything that are in my categories.? DIM is always downloading and installing product updates I always use DIM when in DAZ?

It worked so smoothly from 4.7 to 4.8 that I hadn't anticipated all the issuesI had with 4.9. I am back using 4.8 and unfortuantely didn't keep any documentatio from the log or anything to show since I didn't realize when I had issues that so many others did, also.

categories.jpg
    851 x 560 - 42K

DAZ_Spooky. Your answers have helped. Perhaps you can clarify for me how you describe what I have done.

I'm a little confused about your discussion of categories and don't know where mine fit in your discussion. IN 4.7 and, then, 4.8 I never added metadata. All I did was create a category (see picture) and copy paste from products or other sources already in DAZ Studio such as unassigned in Default into my own category. Another question in reference to this. Does this mean that I have never updated anything that are in my categories.? DIM is always downloading and installing product updates I always use DIM when in DAZ?

It worked so smoothly from 4.7 to 4.8 that I hadn't anticipated all the issuesI had with 4.9. I am back using 4.8 and unfortuantely didn't keep any documentatio from the log or anything to show since I didn't realize when I had issues that so many others did, also.

In your case what you appear to have done is create User Categories, (There are several ways to do this.) Then dragging and dropping into User categories or copying and pasting, either there or on the Smart Content Tab, creates user metadata, or user data. Exporting Userdata (Right click on content Library or Smart Content Tab, and choose content database maintenance, then choose "Export Userdata" should save all the data you have there, and that should migrate to 4.9 correctly (Even if you didn't export Userdata.) Note if you reset your database and reimport metadata and you haven't exported your user data then you will lose it. . 

ContentDatabaseMaint.jpg
    269 x 326 - 22K
    ExportUserdata.jpg
    272 x 254 - 18K
  • In the past, I decided to see how everything worked. So, I exported metasata and, then, reimported it exactly as your screens above showed. It didn't work. That's why I thought maybe I had done something weird. I'll try to migrate to 4.9 soon and see what happens. This time I'll reimport the metadata because I periodically export it and save the two files. Thanks for your reply.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,133

Daz_Spooky. You wrote it isn't too complicated. I have written tutorials and reviewed graphic software for 25 years. No one has yet to say how to preserve custom categories. In the past I have experimented with exporting and reimporting data and it has never worked correctly. I have been mentioning this in different threads, which I usually don't do. After the fiasco of going from 4.8 to 4.9, I put back a backup so I can't supply a ticket. I'll try again when I get some more information.

Thanks. I believe the major issue being run into is that custom user data was saved as vendor data instead of user data. When vendor data is updated, all the vendor data for that product is dropped and updated with the new data. This is also true of 4.8 and earlier, but the metadata was not updated very often or in any numbers. (A product here another product there.)

We bear some responsibility for that, as we didn't properly communicate the difference between the two until recently. We are currently looking at what, if anything, can be done with this as Vendor data has to work the way it works in order to be updated.

There were other causes for the issue, and two of those, so far, have been fixed, and a third one turned out to be a misunderstanding as to what was going on (which has been straightened out). We do appreciate your patience on this.

If you have filed a ticket, can you please add the steps you used, in DS 4.8 (or earlier) to create your custom Metadata.

Thanks.

Spooky, I'm not sure what you mean when you say: custom user data was saved as vendor data instead of user data - how do I know (before I go to 4.9 and lose everything) whether I have inadvertently done this? I don't understand how to tell the difference. I created some material presets to use V4/M4 textures on Genesis and G2F/G2M and set up metadata for these conversions. I just filled in the boxes in the Content DB Editor fields so I've no idea whether my data is done "properly" or not?

For those that asked about using the file system to organize their content.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/70397/how-to-use-your-file-manager-system-to-organize-your-content#latest

MelanieL said:

Thanks.

Spooky, I'm not sure what you mean when you say: custom user data was saved as vendor data instead of user data - how do I know (before I go to 4.9 and lose everything) whether I have inadvertently done this? I don't understand how to tell the difference. I created some material presets to use V4/M4 textures on Genesis and G2F/G2M and set up metadata for these conversions. I just filled in the boxes in the Content DB Editor fields so I've no idea whether my data is done "properly" or not?

There are two ways to save custom data. One is creating vendor data, which means adding the data you created to the data supplied with the product via the Content DB Editor. The other is adding it without saving it to the product and instead it is saved as User Data (And saved when you "Export User Data.") .

MelanieL said:

Thanks.

There are two ways to save custom data. One is creating vendor data, which means adding the data you created to the data supplied with the product via the Content DB Editor. The other is adding it without saving it to the product and instead it is saved as User Data (And saved when you "Export User Data.") .

Does that mean that as long as I created a "Product" with my name as the author then that will be saved as User Data? And presumably as long as I can find my entries in the file created by exporting user data then I'm OK and won't lose anything?

If you created a product, that doesn't match any product in the daz store, then the migration should work and there shouldn't be any issues on updates.  (4.9 prevents you from adding metadata to a product without jumping through some serious hoops.) 

Great, thank you!

edited January 2016

I am sorry, but I can not content with Spookey answer,  though you seems not reply me at all , it is OK,  I can learn from your answer for others.

There are many pattern to change category of items  , with  product and non product.

in content library, we can access each file many ways. (I have already un-install ds 4.8 then now I can only play with ds 4.9)

and we can edit each assets (or record) meta-data in Content DB editor on each place.

Is there any difference,

case1,  I edit one assets meta-data in  content library >"file directory" ,

case2  I edit one assete meta-data in content library>"category"

case 3  I edit one assets meta-data in content library>"product"

these  3 case are same about  user use Content DB editor to edit or add category.  (or compatiblity etc)

I think, only when user edit meta-data in Contetn library>Product , we can export and overwrite the "product data" then keep the modify in product.dsx

About  case 1, case 2,  the editting will be recordes as User_data only?  (though in daz studio, we may not find any differene)

or if user use DB editor, then add category, or edit compatilbilities,, they should be recorded as the assets product data? ( I do not think so)

And,, there is another case (more complex for me)

User make one  product. eg "my product1"  then it export as my product1.dsx from content DB editor, to keep it.

next user hope to modify category of each assets of "my product"

But,, to add dafault categories,  Content DB editor is not so useful. then, prefer drug and drop, or ,  r-click categorize ,then check

each category which user want to assign.  I think,, these modify will be saved as user_data. not prodcut_data.

but one day user check the product by Content DB editor, in content library>product,

he find all modified category are already added in Content DB editor, then he did  not modify anything in content DB editro,

(I remember there seems option, Sync product and local DB)

and,,  with option, current data of the product,  will be exported as product_data too.

that means,, when user open content DB editor, on the product, current data status  should be exported as product_data too,

I do not know, about this case, User_data record the modfied category  and remove it?  because if it still record the modify,

there may be two same record in user_data, and product_data.   And User_data will change size too large.

(Actually  I often hear,, when user try to re-import user_data,,  it take 2,3 minute with valentina,,, but if user save modify as product.dsx, and user_data can extrude about same record,,  user_data not so large, and user can easy manage each asset with each product base )

=============

and I hope if DAZ offer some documents about User_data, or Product_data,, discrive these detail.

your answer , and daz document , FAQ is actually clear but lost detail and each case which user will face about many things. these things are often treated as exceptional case, then user can not find answer by them selfs ,frfrom your (DAZ) documents.  when we really need. (at least, as for me)

(sorry I am too honest to just say thank you about  all your document andd work)

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547

If you created a product, that doesn't match any product in the daz store, then the migration should work and there shouldn't be any issues on updates.  (4.9 prevents you from adding metadata to a product without jumping through some serious hoops.) 

But, this just occurs if you are using DAZ Connect. Is it correct? I am not using DAZ Connect, and get some problems. After reset the database and re-import all my custom and DIM installed metadata, all seems to be working fine. I am getting some problem creating new custom metadata for third party content, but in an inconsistent way.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

I don't THINK that I have created any vendor data, as I don't make use of the content DB editor, so unless I'm misreading this thread there appears to be another way to loose content during the migration as well as that.

I glanced at the Content DB editor in 4.8, and I did notice that it lists "V4 to Genesis Pose Converter" and "V4 to Genesis Product Support".  (I"ve just started using the pose converter, I haven't retried the migration since then to see if these newly converted poses also fail to convert or convert ok... is the script creating vendor data when I use it to convert poses?) .  I'm not sure what "V4 to Genesis Product Support" is or if it matters.

• Categories missing from Smart Content Pane after upgrade to 4.9.0.63 using DAZ Install Manager.

Do I understand correctly that:

1. Others have also found the categories missing although the content (products and files) are still there and fully functional.
    2. No solution has been found but is being worked on.
    edited January 2016

I believe now , the main problem is caused by process of DS 4.9 to gather all files (with category without productdata as) "LocalUser Product"

these files categories were recorded as Userdata.dsx .  but before they have no product.

Usually when we save something, and just set category, we may not plan set Product. 

but Now DS must set  "Product", if  user set category, or compatibility,, about all files which have no assigned as product, I believe.

then it may easy conflict.

And I must need to send new support ticket,, at current we can not remove each asset reference from user-made product

without user perfectly remove (delete) the product.   it is same about DAZ organized "LocalUser" product, or

your new handmade "yourProduct" 

remove1.PNG
    896 x 816 - 210K
    remove2.PNG
    748 x 666 - 129K
    remove3.PNG
    963 x 985 - 239K
    MBusch said:

But, this just occurs if you are using DAZ Connect. Is it correct? I am not using DAZ Connect, and get some problems. After reset the database and re-import all my custom and DIM installed metadata, all seems to be working fine. I am getting some problem creating new custom metadata for third party content, but in an inconsistent way.

Issues occur when any product, which has had metadata added to it, gets updated metadata. (This is true in both 4.8 and 4.9.) When there is an update to a product's metadata then all the data assigned to that product are dropped and the updated metadata replaces it. 

If you have your metadata without a product in 4.8 or under "Local User" in 4.9 (The way both are desigend to be used,) then updates should not impact them at all, whether you use Daz Connect or not. 

edited January 2016

So,,if it was just problem about category of new product metadata-overwrite , user_data cagegory about same data_assets of product, (overwrite each other again and again, when they import user_data, or up-date meta-data etc)

why I could not assign any category about perfectly new generated prop in ds 4.9?

Return first post of Ruphass, I can  clear see, same log file erroer message which I sitcked (In Support ticket too)   I believe most of user, who lost category(though they imported user_data, as FAQ way,) may have same log file, when they try to make catgory for new assets (it should be grouped as LocalUser, as 4.9 designed

but ds 4.9 could not it. then could not assign category for the assets.

but,  after I made product for the non categorized assets, I could add new category..

there should be case, when  the process to gather LocalUser files about improted as user_data, or remained in database would be failed.

and once it happend, (DB corrupted)  we could not assign  new data_assets (subset or preset) as LocalUser product any more. > the data_assets has no product (then ds 4.9 can not add category)

untill once reset DB, and re-migrate meta-data again. (with correct order, then finally re-import user_data, which exported from ds 4.8)

edited January 2016

And If I could return 1/21, then plan to up-date daz studio 4.9 from 4.8, (it is just for me, I can not confirm it is safety for other users)

1. keep 4.8 zip, (which you dowonloaded, by DIM or manually) if I have not deleted it.

2. check ds 4.8 current status of meta-data. and category. , then  export user_data once.

and keep all meta-data of  daz product. (runtime/support) , my product meta-data, and exported user_data.dsx.

3  most of case, I just need copy of /runtime/support dreictory. these dsx is all meta-data. of current ds 4.8 to keep it safety.

(If I will return ds 4.8 I just need re-import these all meta-data again. after, reset DB,)

4 reset DB of ds 4.8 once, then re-improt only DAZ offered  product_meta data. to ds 4.8 empty DB.

Now MY many assets are only assgined  with  DAZ product meta-data. (category, product , compatibility etc) it means DB is clean.

and there should be no new category about installed assets.

5.  Uninstall ds 4.8 then install ds 4.9.  runch ds 4.9.

6  migration start. , up-date daz product meta-data only if you need.

(on this point,I may test, add cube, then I can add category, or test with daz product assets, to add new user category

if I could, go to next step)

7   re-import my original product meta-data only to ds 4.9. it return each category and my product.

8 finally re-import  , user_data.dsx which I exported from ds 4.8 with overwrite option

• Gusf1Gusf1 Posts: 252

I also had all my catagories disapear when I upgraded to 4.9.  And being in this case, a little dim, I hadn't back anything up.  For some reason, things started coming back the next time I started Studio.  Now the all SEEM to be there.  This is the first time I've heard of a delayed reaction in installing a program.  There should probably be mention of this so some people don't start studio after upgrading and have a heart attack and start overwriting things.  It would be bad if they went through all that with no need.

Gus

Gusf1 said:

I also had all my catagories disapear when I upgraded to 4.9.  And being in this case, a little dim, I hadn't back anything up.  For some reason, things started coming back the next time I started Studio.  Now the all SEEM to be there.  This is the first time I've heard of a delayed reaction in installing a program.  There should probably be mention of this so some people don't start studio after upgrading and have a heart attack and start overwriting things.  It would be bad if they went through all that with no need.

Gus

Migration can take a while, especially since it runs in the background. There is a progress bar on the bottom right. If you shut down during migration, it is designed to continue the next time you start Daz Studio.