4.9 categories

Comments

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited January 2016

@scotsprincess

you did not read what i wrote 1 post before yours ?

Post edited by Ruphuss on
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

It is  bad news (though I suspected so,,,)

this  problem to make category about new saved files, (I think it  is almost same, the imported user-data category not work )

not improved , even though I "log in"  by daz studio 4.9 once. 

it immediately install most of product meta-data again,(but there eems no choice

to decide install about which meta-data , once you log-in Daz connect)

then I log out.

After all, I can not make any category about  new saved files.  or subset (wearable) files which have no product meta-data.

I only test with free items from share CG, and new scene which I overwrite in ds 4.9,

updated metadata through connect

categories still not filled

i think i make a clean fresh install as we have weekend and no help here soon

thats a pity mr and mrs daz

• Submitted a Support Ticket. I hope someone gets back to me soon.

• I had forgotten about this thread  so when none of my custom categories were there, I put in a backup I had of my C drive with 4.8 on it. Hopefully if you fix the issue, you will report it here. I have no intention of redoing all of this. I'll just not use the new features and, thus, not spend money at DAZ. What choice do I have?

• So, after seeing so many concerns about categories when upgrading from 4.8 to 4.9 and people's varied but hopeful results, I had a break in my projects and decided to go ahead and try it.

Read the whole thing before you try it, I may (may!) have made a misstep, but it turned out fine in the end.

First, and I cannot emphasise this enough, BACK UP ALL THE THINGS!!!1! ;-)    That includes exporting user data from the CMS.

Exit 4.8.

Then, I allowed DIM to install the update.  Went rather quickly, now that the initial crush is past.

Starting 4.9, I opted to work in offline mode initially.

I set My Daz Connect Library path to my desired location (its still empty, so you can ignore the warning about things becoming unlinked)

I re-imported my metadata.  In my case I have made products for a lot of (but not all - still working on it) packages from other stores.  Rather than go through and check/uncheck a *lot* of packages, I just left them all checked and hit Accept.

Made and ate breakfast.  Seriously.  It takes awhile (~25min for me) and there were spots where it appeared to pause for several minutes, even though the hard disk was working away like mad.  Even after the 100% bar is showing, it still has to crunch awhile. Be patient and let it run.

Success?  All my user categories and my products were there!  But wait; what's this?  A *lot* of DAZ store smart content wasn't there. Perhaps leaving all the metadata packages checked above was a mistake?

Poked around a bit, but really, what can one do?

Reset the CMS database - yes, this wipes it clean.  If you need the 4.8 compatible structure, you may not want to do this.

Re-imported all the metadata again.  This time it was *much* faster!  Be patient when it appears to pause; it's crunching and will finish soon.

And now everything is in its place - DAZ content, my 3rd-part products, all my own categories.

Total time: 45 min or so, including breakfast.

Haven't run into any problems, yet (knock wood).

edited January 2016

Gordon thank you then,  just check please, could you  make category for each items (it is not categorized and it is not included in product)

eg, just load  primitive, then save it as scene subset.  then try it categorize.

or just make mat preset, then save it as material preset, then try it categorize.

if it work , I may try, reset-database etc.

As for me,, about my handmade product-meta data have no problem. (though it merge with new daz offered product data),

but imported (and overwrie checjked ) user data can not show category, about assets which I made and  contents which offered without

"produc" meta-data. (other shops)

.  (as you know, we can make category ,compatibility for them without making "product meta-data" in ds 4.8, then keep  it as User data)

I have checked my exported user-data by text editor,  from ds 4.8, actually it keep all category,compatibility  which I assigned about these assets and files.

but ds 4.9 can not show these categories and compatibilities about same  item.

Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • Yes, I was able to successfully categorize a scene subset.

One issue I have noticed, though, is that older DAZ store products that aren't in the DUF format aren't showing up correctly - their CMS entries contain no items, even though they are present in the library.  A trivial example is Inflatable Boat.

Thank you again. I thought , if I use DAZ connect in future,

may re-downloaded all daz  package again in back up directory .

then Now I am downloading all by DIM again to keep them.

will  try reset everything.  and install items by DAZ connect only once, in different directory.

of course I keep all other files not offered by daz,  original product meta-data , and,  user-data of my self. 

Nothing could be worse than carrent "no-user category" status cheeky 

congratulations Gorden

sadly reimporting metadata did nothing to my categories

and i do not like to wait til theres a solution

so i take the chance to make it all new

lots of work

and i hope mr and mrs daz prepare us better next upgrade

and i hope they give us a tool that i can see which products are updated so i can pass it along to my categories

• Former DAZ CustomerFormer DAZ Customer Posts: 167
    edited January 2016

An update on the older products not having data in the CMS:

After connecting to DAZ Connect and telling it to update metadata, they are now populated.  It said that 15 of my products failed to update, I need to dig into that, yet.

UPDATE: It does appear, though, that those older products no longer have the categories I had assigned them.

That's only for those older products, though; the others are fine.

Post edited by Former DAZ Customer on

I may buy nothing  from DAZ again. untill I get kind apologize about this up-date problem  from Mr and Mrs DAZ.

If I am exceptional case, I hope as exceptional case as daz castomer.but I spend many money as same as other user,

and join as same as pratinam menber for long time.  it auto charged every year, from by bank

there is no exceptional case. about to get my money.

• I did the same as Gordon except for importing my data. I had done that once before to see how it worked and it left me with a mess.  I would like to try it again because as Kitakoredaz said she has used daz for years and spent a lot of money there. So have I and I had wanted to continue. As I wrote in my first post, 4.7 migrated to 4.8 without a problem.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

thanks for posting that info Gordon...

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142

I'm not sure why but my new DS Smart Content pane takes about 1 1/2 minutes to populate.  It also keeps me from loading up my work files until it's done.  Any suggestions on why this is happening?  I've already reimported my metadata a couple of times  to try to clear that slowness bug out but it persists. 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

An update on the older products not having data in the CMS:

After connecting to DAZ Connect and telling it to update metadata, they are now populated.  It said that 15 of my products failed to update, I need to dig into that, yet.

UPDATE: It does appear, though, that those older products no longer have the categories I had assigned them.

That's only for those older products, though; the others are fine.

This is a deal breaker for me.  I really want to try this but I have thousands of older items very neatly organized in my own catagories.  I'm not giving that up.

Anyway, you must keep your user-data (exported from ds 4.8, not current ds 4.9) 

I saved them as different name. eg  userdata1_buckup.dsx I do not know there is some naming rule or not,

but ds usually can import userdata1_buckup too. (we can choose, which user_data we import , when import user_data.).

then import it with check the overwrite option.  (user_data overwrite product data).

and keep your  original product-meta-data (exported from ds 4.8 when you edit or create in ds 4.8) if you made them.

These are key files of user to mainain original category structure, (and compatibilties)

even though how many times we reset data-base , about daz offered meta-data we can download and install by DIM or DAZ connect.

(Though at current DS 4.9 or postgre dislike me, and  not work for me angel)

• I have a folder that comes in at the top of my content that has basically 17 gig of scene subsets, buildings and bldg parts I've made... characters complete and ready to use of groups of them etc.
    And if I'm reading right.. Daz 4.9 isn't going to see them? 
    And if 4.9 isn't going to see them, what happens when I open a scene that was created in 4.8 that calls those subsets?
    ---

alan, maybe this problem only happen about some user, as exceptional case, (at least DAZ is thinking so )

then may not worry so much, (at least if you keep 4.8 zip, and keep your DB)

but as for me, I do not keep ds 4.8 zip,  and not hope to use it anymore.

DAZ officaly not offer ds 4.8 anymore, that maens DAZ think, 4.9 product version, not cause any problem when we up-date 4.8 to 4.9.

then they must need to find the solution.   since it is Product version. I heared many times from Mr, or Mrs DAZ  and user in this forum,

they said when I complain much about beta 4.9,   "It is just a beta,   you need to wait product version",

if you do not hope to test and contribute for daz studio..

After all, ds 4.9  product version keep  many problem at least for me. then I send report as if I hope to be tester of daz sutdio proiduct version.

edited January 2016

Thank Gordon runkle.  as for me,, reset DB twice seems correct my problem.

I could not correct it with re-install DAZ studio or DB, but needed to reset Data.

and at first time, it cause new problem not to log in DAZ connect.. then I can not recommend the way

for other users who have same problem.  but if you do not mind, and try everything, at least reset DB and re-import meta-datas

actually worked for me. 

(I feel,, it seems happen, when User have both User_data and Original product data. then try to import them on ds 4.9 DB

with Official DAZ product data.

I know common user, had not made original product meta-data for smart content,

then DAZ may not care much and thiink it is exceptional case. but Untill DAZ offer perfect meta-data for all product,

and if we hope to use other store content as same as DAZ shop content, we need to make original product data,

with User_data (more simpl use,) 

then DAZ document about management user contents, with original product data, user data, in ds 4.9.

almost help nothing .

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

I have a folder that comes in at the top of my content that has basically 17 gig of scene subsets, buildings and bldg parts I've made... characters complete and ready to use of groups of them etc.
    And if I'm reading right.. Daz 4.9 isn't going to see them? 
    And if 4.9 isn't going to see them, what happens when I open a scene that was created in 4.8 that calls those subsets?
    --

No, 4.9 will see them.  As for the second question, scenes don;t reference those scene subsets, they reference the data folder so they would still work in any event.

now with 4.9 and connect i have the problem i cannot categorise from my daz formats folder

i begin to miss the nice dim app for installing

connect is really a mess

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    Ruphuss said:

now with 4.9 and connect i have the problem i cannot categorise from my daz formats folder

i begin to miss the nice dim app for installing

connect is really a mess

I am going to need some more information here. I just categorized from the Content library tab two different ways on my computer that is Connect only and, for something not bug related, on my no connect computer.

in this case its the skamotion animation also not showing up correctly in smart content given me local user icon

some show up some not

and no not again a ticket

btw thanks for the categories script

but was to late

i already reset database

and thinking about new concepts for finding stuff

Ruphuss said:

in this case its the skamotion animation also not showing up correctly in smart content given me local user icon

some show up some not

and no not again a ticket

btw thanks for the categories script

but was to late

i already reset database

and thinking about new concepts for finding stuff

That is a product error, like one I got fixed and resolved Yesterday.

Can I still custom sort my files?

Yes, you can still customize how your files are categorized by adding your own categories.

Note: We have added the ability to create stand-in shortcut files for users who prefer to use folders and files to organize content instead of categories. This allows the source files to remain in place and benefit from product updates, while also allowing users to keep a workflow that is similar to those they have already established.

is there a tutorial for this somewhere ?

Ruphuss said:

Yes, you can still customize how your files are categorized by adding your own categories.

Note: We have added the ability to create stand-in shortcut files for users who prefer to use folders and files to organize content instead of categories. This allows the source files to remain in place and benefit from product updates, while also allowing users to keep a workflow that is similar to those they have already established.

Working on it. 

edited January 2016

OK,, it may not help for Ruphuss sorry,, but may help some one who have original product meta-data, with user_data,

then these data mix up, when you import them with DS 4.9.

I found too many un-expected things, actually, then I reset DB again to check all my step.

finally it seems work, (though not perfect,, but it better much)

1. I reset DB in ds 4.9, but keep all contents installed by DIM and with original file, instaleld manulaly ,,etc (no daz connect)

2  With keep off line, I only import daz offcial product data ,but not installed any User_data, and my original product data.

3  I log in, daz connect,, it check my DB, then install meta-data and migrate about DAZ product

4  If you have no user_data category, and original product_data,, now it may work. for most of us I believe,. but  morph product seems treated as  not installed yet, as for me,.

5 next I log out DAZ connect,

then I import  only about my original product meta data,, at this time. ,without no user_data, no DIM offered meta-data.

sometimes, I needed to re import same original produc again. , it seems strange,, or I can only up-date one product ,

(I import 10 original product at same time,, sometimes, only 4 or 5 seems imported correctly, but other can not,

then I re-import them again,, finally there are only some product, which I can not improted correctly, maybe,

these are already corrupted I feel)

I check one by one., improtted  my original product,

most of them seems imported correctly.  (maybe some product nee to be overwritten by user_data,,

but anyway,, most of product which I made, seems show category, compatibility etc,, in "product".)

if you added category and compatiblity for daz product,, and saved them ast another product meta-data,, 

you may see two products for same items, when you serch them in smart contents.

I hope to delete , daz product (no category, no comaptibility) but just keep them. (maybe they need to up-date meta-data if daz offered them, I feel, or I can not get new meta-data when DAZ up-date them.

6. then ,, finally I import "user_data" only, it was generated from ds 4.8, and most reliable one for me(I have saved many user_data ,,)

with option,  "user_data overwrite product"..

7, now it seems work.  I afraid if I connect again,, some product auto- overwite by daz connect meta-data, then

I lost my product,, category etc,, but it not happend,, untill now.

8 I test to add some category for new file, or edit some my original product meta-data, then exprot and re-import again.

it currently seems work..  but I do not know,, if user re-install daz connect meta-data for daz product,

then it overwrite user-data categorywhich assigend these files, of the product.  or not.,

(I mainly rely on my original product meta-data, not rely much User_data,,then I do not know clear,

actually I feel user_data and original product_data often mix easy without intention. when we made original product_data  and re-categorize it,, then export user_data etc,,,but it have been worked in ds 4.8. )

Ruphuss said:

Working on it. 

would be nice

thanks spooky

in content library you can show products as list or as grid(thumbnails)

this option would be great in smart content for me (no thumbnails)