Nonstandard Polygons ?

TiddlyTiddly Posts: 34
edited January 2016 in Hexagon Discussion

I imported a Daz character OBJ into Hexagon and did some subdividing (quad tess).  I then exported the OBJ from Hexagon and imported into zbrush for sculpting, but got the following message: 

"The mesh contains nonstandard Polygons, (more than 4 sides)..  Would you like to split these to quads and triangles or symetrical triangles only"

I want compatibility in Daz Studio in the end.  Did I do something wrong in hexagon?

EDIT:  Here's the example.  Subdividing one poly face in hexagon creates other subdivides once eported to zbrush. 

EDIT2:  It seems the problem is because I subdvide only part of the mesh instead of the entire thing.  My problem is that I have to leave the outermost faces of the mesh untouched, but I desire subdivision everywhere else... is that possible without getting Ngons? 

Post edited by Tiddly on

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006

I imported a Daz character OBJ into Hexagon and did some subdividing (quad tess).  I then exported the OBJ from Hexagon and imported into zbrush for sculpting, but got the following message: 

"The mesh contains nonstandard Polygons, (more than 4 sides)..  Would you like to split these to quads and triangles or symetrical triangles only"

I want compatibility in Daz Studio in the end.  Did I do something wrong in hexagon?

EDIT:  Here's the example.  Subdividing one poly face in hexagon creates other subdivides once eported to zbrush. 

EDIT2:  It seems the problem is because I subdvide only part of the mesh instead of the entire thing.  My problem is that I have to leave the outermost faces of the mesh untouched, but I desire subdivision everywhere else... is that possible without getting Ngons? 

1. In Hexagon use the Tools > utilities > weld all dots so that the places which have 2 dots at the same location but unwelded get glued together.

2. The extra lines are showing up because in Hexagon a line was unwelded and there would seem to be some stranded dots in the middle of nowhere ... programs don't like those things.

3. I don't use Zbrush but in Hexagon one can select those new angles making what looks like a quad to be 2 tris and hit the backspace key, select remove stray. For the square with the "+", easiest might be to simply delete that bunch and remake the face by selecting one line either side and "bridging". Alternatively you could select lines and start welding them to appropriate places. You could try selecting and hitting the backspace but that will probably create a hole anyway.

4. To check for stray dots before sending stuff over to Zbrush, in Hexagon [make sure the dot size is large enough to see them], select dots. There should only be dots at line intersections. Mostly quads, a few tris.

5. If those pants are for Genesis 3, you will probably need more "anchor" tessellations in the groin area.

• TiddlyTiddly Posts: 34

Thanks, converting the nonstandardgons to triangles didn't hurt anything (I moved them to less bendy areas).

5. If those pants are for Genesis 3, you will probably need more "anchor" tessellations in the groin area.

What do you mean by "anchor"?  I'm sure that will be helpful at some point. 

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Not a good idea to subdivide part of the mesh - it causes n-gons (faces with more than 4 sides) in the surrounding mesh, which Z-Brush obviously converted to tri's on import. 

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006

I subdivide "all" the mesh too, not parts at a time. Sometimes I subdivide to only the 1st level reserving level 2 [actually only be level 1 applied one more time] nearer the final stages. It's easier to remove occasional unneeded line loop than deal with a kazillion n-gons.

Anchors ... new term I decided to add in my modeling vocabulary ... think ships and anchors, something to hold something else in place. As the pants for G3M are taking on some additional joint morph things which are great for the figure but not so great for pants, we need to provide more mesh and "anchors" to help hold the mesh in place when the joint morphs do their thing. It is not a perfect solution but then this is not a perfect world either. But it starts with the modeling. Once the best is done that can be done with the modeling, then after making the clothing, posing the figure, one needs to make some morphs for the clothing. While there are some other ideas being posted for dealing with the joint controller morphs I have not found a viable working solution that works with every pair of pants yet so ... maybe one day ... in the meantime, "anchors" ....

Clothing Thread

As you make and test the clothing ideas in D/S BEFORE getting to the finished end product, notice the difference how the lines affect what can or not be done when the figure is posed.