Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

Oh, I'm sure that's exactly what it is. Ideally, though, a 'cartoon line' plugin would take things like that and opacity edges into consideration.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575
    mjc1016 said:

Well I may as well jump on the bandwagon...

These are great, mjc! Your imported shader handled the transparency on her bangs very well. My experience is that anything other than 100% or 0% opacity can be problematic, especially when it comes to rendering z-depth passes. Glad to see more people jumping in to some NPR!

- Greg

• Will, what did you use for this one please ? Looks nice and I'd like to try it. Thanks.

PWToon. I think I started with Technical Drawing, but slid all the thresholds to 0 and made it black rather than blue.

• Thank you :)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

What I would love is to be able to implement the 3DL for Softimage shader in Studio...

https://3delight.atlassian.net/wiki/display/3DFS/Toon+and+Ink

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

That looks great, Kettu! And your custom physically-based shaders are excellent. Thanks for posting and sharing a bit about your process.

Oh thank you =) I could only hope that one day I'll be able to write something more sophisticated... with a look closer to your NPR style. The physically based stuff is probably the easiest type of 3Delight shaders to write these days. The devs hand you all the functions, you just need to string them together =)

And I'm an engineer! (if you go by my formal education)

That's great =) We had basic engineering subjects in our first three years of college (at least, what is thought to be engineering subjects here in Russia - strength of materials, machine parts design etc), but during the next three years and in the postgrad research work it's mostly been general continuum mechanics for me.
    mjc1016 said:

Well I may as well jump on the bandwagon...this is another imported shader.

Which one would that be?

mjc1016 said:

Well I may as well jump on the bandwagon...this is another imported shader.

Which one would that be?

Toonmap in the Mosaic shader files.

mjc1016 said:

Toonmap in the Mosaic shader files.

Cool, thanks =) I need to give it a spin.

edited January 2016

Here's another one from Mosaic...it's called supertoon.  There is no diffuse color/image map...would be nice to add some more to it.

This one is craytoon (Mosaic or K3D) with the outliner scripted render overlayed on top.

And a bit of a different kind of NPR...this is the architectural shader included in the standalone 3DL, with added displacement...

Adding displacement to either of the others should yield some interesting results...

supertoontest.png
    640 x 640 - 131K
    cthogtoon2.png
    640 x 640 - 184K
    cthogtoon_3.png
    640 x 640 - 214K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • ToborTobor Posts: 2,300
    mjc1016 said:

What I would love is to be able to implement the 3DL for Softimage shader in Studio...

Is this for workflow purposes, or does Standalone also not support it, when the RIB files are from D|S?

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575

Those are outstanding! Awesome passes you're able to generate.

- Greg

edited January 2016
    Tobor said:
    mjc1016 said:

Is this for workflow purposes, or does Standalone also not support it, when the RIB files are from D|S?

That shader is only included in the 3DL version for Softimage.  And the package is a 'compiled plugin' in xsi format, so unlike the other version of 3DL, you can't grab the shader source.  Several months ago, one of the 3DL devs mentioned something about porting it for Max or Maya, but it hasn't happened, yet.

Here's another one...

This one has use of the diffuse maps and displacement...

cthoghtoon.png
    640 x 640 - 236K

Displacement should give interesting results with the outliner.

• First of all, I am BLOWN AWAY by the quality of work I'm seeing here. I've also been inspired -- it's time for me to buy pwToon. I'm buying it today.

I'm working on a NFR project right now: I'm doing some fill-in illustrations for a Superhero Role Playing Game called POWERS BEYOND. And I would love your feedback on the illustrations. And, if you would, please comment in the thread itself so I can find the comments more easily.

After they're finished, I'll post some of them (and some others) here:

WIP - SF Superhero Battle Scene

WIP - Supervillain, The Hero Defeated

WIP - Opinions sought on comic-style illustration

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide!

Mike

My webcomic (which, now that I'm doing it with pwToon, categorizes it over here rather than Iray pic thread) updates on Wednesdays: http://thefarshoals.webcomic.ws/comics/52/

• Here's some NFR images I did for the Galaxy Prime RPG. For this book, I was working on a retro, b&w style.

WEAPONS: The rifle and goggles were Daz props exported to Strata 3D. The tablet and cartridges were created in Strata 3D CX6, which is where I did the final render. I then did postwork in Photoshop to convert it to b&w and add the alien text.

AIR CAR EXPLOSION: This is the Stinger model from Daz, and one of the few for this book that were actually rendered in either DS or Poser (most of the renders were done in Strata 3D because I wanted soft shadows that you couldn't easily get in DS or Poser back in 2010-2011). This is the Stinger model, and since the background was entirely postwork in Photoshop, the simple 3Delight render was good enough as a starting point for this image.

AIR CAR: Another Daz prop. Shadow and shading are all post work.

If you are interested in reading more about these images (and about a dozen more that may or may not use Daz or Poser models), there are more at my blog: mikemitchellonline.blogspot.com Just look at the left side of the screen for a list of keywords, and select Galaxy Prime.

Mike

Galaxy_Prime_Weapons.jpg
    900 x 427 - 59K
    Galaxy_Prime_Air_Car_Explosion.jpg
    700 x 461 - 66K
    Galaxy_Prime_SkyCar.jpg
    800 x 423 - 34K

Mike: I love the look/style.

It's been something I've been trying to capture, at least in part because I want to get some work doing RPG illos. Heh. (I had a short stint as a RPG writer ~12 years ago)

• William: Thanks! I was very pleased with the retro style I used for this book. It just sort of has a nice vibe to it. I'm not going to attach all of them (especially since I'm trying to stick to Daz content for the ones I show here), but this is one of my favorites from the Galaxy Prime book. For this one, I played with the camera lense to create the distortion, which I think gives a nice sense of movement. Also, this one was printed at the bottom of a page, so the beam actually bleeds off the page. This looked particularly nice when printed.

What RPG did you write for, BTW? If you visit Amazon and search for Gutshot, you can see the historical miniatures game I wrote (along with some friends).

Galaxy_Prime_Space_Pirate_on_the_Run.jpg
    700 x 560 - 70K

FFG's Natural Selection and Imperial Supply, a bunch of stuff for Sword and Sorcery Studios (White Wolf's 3e D&D imprint). If you do a search for William Timmins and either FFG or SSS you should get lots of hits.

(Let's see... Relics and Rituals, Fighters and Barbarians, the Ratman and Asaatthi splatbooks, Blood Sea... maybe one or two others)

• Cool. A friend of mine should have those books. I'll check it out next time I'm over at his house.

If you look at my DA gallery, I have some recent portfolio items for Scarred Lands, which is now being produced by Onyx Path Publishing (revamping the setting for 5e and Pathfinder).

It'd be a real warm fuzzy if I got illustrations into a product that had been the bulk of my short writing career. ;)

edited January 2016

Another one I imported...

http://www.swinproductions.com/Toon.html

And here is how it looks, in Studio (no, these are not his default settings...in Studio it looks too much like TV 'snow').

sw_escher_shader.png
    640 x 640 - 311K
    sw_escher_shader2.png
    640 x 640 - 414K
    edited January 2016

And here is one combining the old ARMAN (Advanced Renderman) cel shader and the SW_Escher...

Yes, I probably should have changed the frequency on the teeth...

cel02.png
    640 x 640 - 251K
    mjc1016 said:

Another one I imported...

http://www.swinproductions.com/Toon.html

Oh, this one's a great find, thanks a lot for the link! It's almost like one of those shaders in the JGL (did I get the letters right) free bundle for DS2 (the one that actually got me interested in this whole NPR stuff).

• Those two renders look very cool. Very impressive work. 

BTW: I did NOT buy pwToon yesterday -- I decided that I was too busy to use it right now and to wait for a sale. And then today's extravaganza of savings came along! I picked it up and am hoping to play with it tonight (or at least by this weekend).

• Those two renders look very cool. Very impressive work. 

BTW: I did NOT buy pwToon yesterday -- I decided that I was too busy to use it right now and to wait for a sale. And then today's extravaganza of savings came along! I picked it up and am hoping to play with it tonight (or at least by this weekend).

Thanks for the heads up ! I picked it up too. And pro bundles at bargain basement prices too. Nice one Daz :)

• Nice Will :)

Not really sure what I was aiming for, but I was playing with pwToon and Photoshop. Came up with this.

toon.jpg
    625 x 800 - 284K
This discussion has been closed.