PBS Metals , Metallic Plastics and Paints shaders for Iray [commercial] Just released

Comments

• GaryHGaryH Posts: 66
    edited January 2016

First let me say these are a great set of shaders.  Thankyou.

But I do have a suggestion to make them easier to work with.  I know your shaders are tagged with the shader name but for some reason the name doesn't show up in the "Tags" field of the Surfaces tab when one of your shaders is applied to a surface.  This is frustrating because it makes it very difficult to know which metal I've applied  to a surface, especially when the viewport is not in Iray mode.  This may be a bug with DS related to tagging but I've discovered a fix based on another vendor's shaders that did show the correct tags in the Surfaces tab.

The fix involves simply adding the shader name inside the empty quotes for the "keys" entry under the "animations" section.  I don't know how this string gets put in there via DS but you can add it manually by editing the shader's .duf file, search for "animations", and then add the shader name inside the quotes.  Why it needs to be in the "animations" section to work is anybody's guess.

Example:

The current Brass 1.8.duf file has:

"animations" : [
                {
                    "url" : "name://@selection#materials:?extra/studio_material_channels/channels/Tags/value",
                    "keys" : [ [ 0, "" ] ]
                },

Simply adding the shader name in the empty quotes will cause the shader name to appear in the Tags field of the Surfaces tab:

"animations" : [
                {
                    "url" : "name://@selection#materials:?extra/studio_material_channels/channels/Tags/value",
                    "keys" : [ [ 0, "Brass 1.8" ] ]
                },

The attached screengrab shows the shader name in the Tags field.  Without the above change that field would be blank.

Surfaces Tags example.png
    1406 x 1073 - 335K
    Post edited by GaryH on
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

Thank u for your feedback, the shaders was setup in the first edition of DS and Iray so maybe that why, I was informed about a time before so I remeber to make sure the tags show up in the next sets, Easy way would be to type the tags in and resave it than edit manually but 2 options better that one :) 

I did reworked the shaders after the official release of Iray but some way things do not worked out later, the shader scrpits changed in last moment that maybe the reason it shows under Animation,  what the tags was created in first place to keep tracks  and not for shader names so consider it as a good mod 

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    MEC4D said:

Thank u for your feedback, the shaders was setup in the first edition of DS and Iray so maybe that why, I was informed about a time before so I remeber to make sure the tags show up in the next sets, Easy way would be to type the tags in and resave it than edit manually but 2 options better that one :) 

I did reworked the shaders after the official release of Iray but some way things do not worked out later, the shader scrpits changed in last moment that maybe the reason it shows under Animation,  what the tags was created in first place to keep tracks  and not for shader names so consider it as a good mod 

Yay, hi Cath, good to see you back and around, hope all is well with you!

MEC4D said:

Yeah, that works too (saving your own shader preset with the tag filled in), and it puts the tag in the same animations section I noted above.  More clicks and you have to be careful about losing your cool thumbnails.  My bias as a former programmer is to go straight to the source code.  cool

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,268
    SimonJM said:
    MEC4D said:

Ditto            +1

You have been missed

of course you have to save the thumbs  before resaving the shaders  but well the same work time so maybe editing the .duf files is the fastes way as well 

garyh.pub said:
    MEC4D said:

Yeah, that works too (saving your own shader preset with the tag filled in), and it puts the tag in the same animations section I noted above.  More clicks and you have to be careful about losing your cool thumbnails.  My bias as a former programmer is to go straight to the source code.  cool

Thanks ! I am always around just quiet :) my last over intensive product production  just killed my 2 years old PC but tomorrow I am getting new even more powerful and you going to see me very often around :) I am pushing to the limits lately so look for new treads very soon .

SimonJM said:
    MEC4D said:

SimonJM said:
    MEC4D said:

Ditto            +1

You have been missed

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140

YAY!  heart

xoxo heart 

RAMWolff said:

YAY!  heart

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    MEC4D said:

I am pushing to the limits lately so look for new treads very soon .

You mean... more neat stuff we can buy?  

<pitiful whimpering noise from bank card>

(BTW, I've had the PBS Shaders set for six months now, and I'm still finding interesting new ways to use it. Any chance of a volume 2 in the near (or not so near) future?)

Thanks ! I still use it everyday as it is my PBR base default for most everything  and beyond . 

I was working in the last months on a new shaders and HDR light set to complement it , a lot of new research in this direction to ensure the best result , a lot of freebies and other stuff coming too, I will post some new stuff in next week to the forum with some freebies to check it out 

MEC4D said:

I am pushing to the limits lately so look for new treads very soon .

You mean... more neat stuff we can buy?  

<pitiful whimpering noise from bank card>

(BTW, I've had the PBS Shaders set for six months now, and I'm still finding interesting new ways to use it. Any chance of a volume 2 in the near (or not so near) future?)

edited January 2016

Here are some suggestions for new Iray shaders:

- Gemstones, including high quality props for the popular stone cuts.  The best set I've seen is from AllenArt on sharecg, his diamond shader is the best available.  Gemstones, like metals, each have unique IORs and optical properties - it's not just colored glass.  Seems right up your alley and a good complement for your metals; thinking jewelry here.

- Sequin Fabrics.  There are some good sets for 3Delight but they take a lot of tweaking to look good in Iray.  I'm thinking of the HSS Glamour Fabric shaders.  Many of those shaders have various sequin shapes against a mat (non-metalic) cloth.  Attempting to make the sequin metallic also makes the underlying cloth metallic.  So here is another area where your metal expertice could be put to good use.  Cheers!

Post edited by GaryH on

Thanks for your interesting suggestions especially the fabric shader , it would looks fantastic but requier a lot of individual layers..added to the  list ! 

garyh.pub said:

Here are some suggestions for new Iray shaders:

- Gemstones, including high quality props for the popular stone cuts.  The best set I've seen is from AllenArt on sharecg, his diamond shader is the best available.  Gemstones, like metals each have unique IORs and optical properties - it's not just colored glass.  Seems right up your alley and a good complement for your metals, thinking jewelry here.

- Sequin Fabrics.  There are some good sets for 3Delight but they take a lot of tweaking to look good in Iray.  I'm thinking of the HSS Glamour Fabric shaders.  Many of those shaders have various sequin shapes against a mat (non-metalic) cloth.  Attempting to make the sequin metallic also makes the underlying cloth metallic.  So here is another area where your metal expertice could be put to good use.  Cheers!

Just dropping to let you know volume 2 is finally in making, you can follow here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/72523/mec4d-pbr-shaders-vol-2-w-i-p

thanks

Cath 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

I have a question... a lot of the pure/brushed metals end up looking very black.

... Why?

can you show example ? metal need reflect something to be metal the law of PBR and if there is no light there is no metal .. metals does not have diffuse , the thing that make metal are reflection no texture

look pure brushed .. no issues here

sorry for the pants but I happen to have open it at this moment lol

belly dancer pants-pure brushed.jpg
    960 x 1080 - 293K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140

Great model you've found to show off the material settings hon.  Totally impressed.  Love your leathers and your fabrics so far. 

Thanks Richard, you are in the old thread for vol.1 btw :)  

Like this: http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/The-Quiet-City-594220586

All those spheres are brushed silver. There's a glowing skydome plus some directional light.

But it looks INCREDIBLY dark.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

Take the sky dome out of the equation and use the Iray Sun/Sky instead and see what happens

Oh hey. I think I figured it out.
    Just very confused since I'm not used to this style of shader, but it turns out top coat fresnel IOR essentially goes from 'dark and rough' to 'mirror smooth' (from 1.4 to 100), so picking an appropriate value got what I wanted. Huh.

edited March 2016

As Szark said .. well this is not some style , that are the accurate PBR shaders for Iray  so it is hard to cheat lol  the same law is for everything else . 

One touch of the IOR will automatic change the values in PBR .. you see in Iray , the light and materials need to collaborate to produce the best effect .

For metal you need to have it from 12 to 300 , for plastic  and stuff around 1.60  , not confusing with Index  of Refraction ... only under Top Coat ..

The only thing you should or can change under the metal shaders is the glossy roughness as it can be any from high gloss to matte .. the other settings should stay the same as it correspond with the acrual PBR values .

Iray materials need Sky Sun or HDRI , no fake domes it don''t works this way as it was in 3DL ..  the best select the Dome and Scene , remove the HDR map and use both  sun and light in the scene  easy, control the  sun by rotating the  Dome .. so you have boot worlds in one scene .

Oh hey. I think I figured it out.
    Just very confused since I'm not used to this style of shader, but it turns out top coat fresnel IOR essentially goes from 'dark and rough' to 'mirror smooth' (from 1.4 to 100), so picking an appropriate value got what I wanted. Huh.

Post edited by MEC4D on
    edited March 2016
    It's not a fake dome, it's a glowing surface, an emitter. And it looks like the problem I had was that brushed metals are starting at a low 1.14 ior
    Post edited by Oso3D on

You have 3 kind of brushed metal , 1.8 (patina ) , 12 ( used ) and 100  (pure )

it is still fake world dome as things like that don't excist  under PBR, a grass reflecting light and so do sky .. not emitting light , the only one that emitting light is the sun, bulbs or high dynamic image etc....and not just jpg as emitter it is lower than Uber Enviorment in 3DL

of course you can do whatever you please in your artwork .. 

with a simple HDRI or Sky you would get fantastic result with your scene .. why bother with things like that ? I just see no point ! 

see it as constructive comments !  keep it simple , you have all the tools under your hand so use it correct , other way you will get anywhere with it .

It's not a fake dome, it's a glowing surface, an emitter. And it looks like the problem I had was that brushed metals are starting at a low 1.14 ior

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited March 2016

The Mec4D silver shaders work fine for me, and I don't see any IOR of 1.14 in the surface settings. Are you certain that you have applied a shader from the Mec4D product? The only dark one, which is still reflective, is the one labeled 1.8. It is shown in the product with a dark picture frame icon. The other three in my image are brushed 100, 100, and brushed 12. This is lit only with an HDRI.

Silver spheres.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 632K
    Post edited by barbult on

and it looks just perfect and realistic  ! simple is beautiful !   I guess Wiliam need start to thinking IRAY and forget for a moment about 3DL  it can get very much  confusing ..

barbult said:

The Mec4D silver shaders work fine for me, and I don't see any IOR of 1.14 in the surface settings. Are you certain that you have applied a shader from the Mec4D product? The only dark one, which is still reflective, is the one labeled 1.8. It is shown in the product with a dark picture frame icon. The other three in my image are brushed 100, 100, and brushed 12. This is lit only with an HDRI.

It was 1.8, yeah. My bad luck picking the worst option first.

As for 'getting used to Iray,' I'd point out that nearly all uses of metal use metallicity, and that 'Pure 10' is a rather enigmatic thing. But now I know!

well we learn something eveeyday my friend  , and I don;t want to go into long conversation about metallicity since it is my  commercial product thread and not Iray discusion , but metallicity is just the same as specualr/glossines or  weighted , it just use different maps and settings but the principle is the same as long it is setup the correct way what nearly nobody do at all . 

Genesis skins are not metallicty maps still everyone use  the main shader ..  that is all about .. people follow but don;t really know why , that is the problem ..

It was 1.8, yeah. My bad luck picking the worst option first.

As for 'getting used to Iray,' I'd point out that nearly all uses of metal use metallicity, and that 'Pure 10' is a rather enigmatic thing. But now I know!

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

In Simple terms having the Metalicity slider takes care of Gloss Weight, Reflection Weight, Anisotropy making them all redundant so you only need to deal with Roughness.