RRRR - Murphy’s Law Render Contest *closed*

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 2015

Another few things to remember with Motionblur:

- There is a bug that I reported ages ago that noone seems to be able to replicate, that if you blur a character it's a big chance he turns invivible.

- If you turn a wheel counter counterclockwise 5 degrees, it's very possible DS will interpret that as you turned it 355 degrees clockwise, making it just look like a big elephant fart!

Post edited by Totte on
  • Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    Totte said:

- There is a bug that I reported ages ago that noone seems to be able to replicate, that if you blur a character it's a big chance he turns invivible.

- If you turn a wheel counter counterclockwise 5 degrees, it's very possible DS will interpret that as you turned it 355 degrees clockwise, making it just look like a big elephant fart!

Apparently, I was able to replicate that 'invisible character' bug yesterday -- except the character who turned invisible was not the one I was trying to blur!  It was another character entirely, who remained motionless for the entire shot.

Starting the render now, and it's liable to take a while....

Totte said:

Apparently, I was able to replicate that 'invisible character' bug yesterday -- except the character who turned invisible was not the one I was trying to blur!  It was another character entirely, who remained motionless for the entire shot.

Starting the render now, and it's liable to take a while....

Exactly, that is what happens, another "random" character goes invisible. Somewhere in the old bugtracker I had a description of that problem, but that's lost now I think....

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited December 2015

...beware too that motion blur tends to make for long render times.  The one below which used only 5 frames of motion blur took 16.5 hours to render and the only meshes were the girl and the motorcycle.  The setting is from the Yosemite HDRI pro set.

Note Not an Entry:

Biker Merida 1200 pw.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by kyoto kid on

..@Purrkat, Nice.  Big kitty just want to snuggle.  

...and true, cats do seem to have a sense of who is allergic to them. I've seen it on numerous occasions, the first person they come up to is the one with the allergy.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780
    kyoto kid said:

..@Purrkat, Nice.  Big kitty just want to snuggle.  

...and true, cats do seem to have a sense of who is allergic to them. I've seen it on numerous occasions, the first person they come up to is the one with the allergy.

Happens to me all the time, and yes, I'm allergic, seems they spot for the ones that try to not give them any attention

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,649

Does motion blur work with Iray?

luci45 said:

Does motion blur work with Iray?

Not yet AFAIK

• kyoto kid said:

...beware too that motion blur tends to make for long render times.  The one below which used only 5 frames of motion blur took 16.5 hours to render and the only meshes were the girl and the motorcycle.  The setting is from the Yosemite HDRI pro set.

Note Not an Entry:

Wow, what hair is that? Looks like the one from "Brave". 

...yep, that is my version of Merida, on a slightly "updated" version of Angus.

Thanks, Chanteur-de-Vent, kyoto kid, purrkat, Kismet2012.
    Chanteur-de-Vent #1 Very cool! She does look surprised...
    purrkat #3 Nice one! I love the posing and expression!
    kyoto kid - I love your motion blur render!

My pull #6: 
    Beach hair
    Pure Hair Fantasy
    NeverTime 
    M4 Tuxedo 
    Discordia (LB)
    Metal Magic Overlays (LB)
    Classic Men's Hats (LB)
    Way of the Shinobi for Genesis (LB)
    Regency Dining Room (LB)

edited December 2015

tag: luci45 #6
    Law of Fashion
    Any given dress is: indecent 10 years before its time, daring 1 year before its time, chic in its time, dowdy 3 years after its time, hideous 20 years after its time, amusing 30 years after its time, romantic 100 years after its time, and beautiful 150 years after its time.

Barry Smythe always cheerfully disregards his tasteless neighbor's derisive stares and comments, knowing that he is on the cutting edge of fashion.

Used:

Beach hair
    Pure Hair Fantasy
    NeverTime 
    M4 Tuxedo 
    Discordia (LB)
    Metal Magic Overlays (LB)
    Classic Men's Hats (LB)
    Way of the Shinobi for Genesis (LB)
    Regency Dining Room (LB)

Also used:

Tori for V5
    Wicked Wear Lace
    Pd Iray Shader Kit 1
    Pure Hair: Retro for Genesis
    Unshaven Beard for Genesis
    David 5
    Michael 7
    Genesis 3 Male Body Morphs
    Genesis 3 Male Head Morphs
    Schurbys Old Cars - Rendo Freebie
    City Roads
    Skies of iRadiance - Sunny Sky HDRIs for Iray
    UHT Hair Shaders for Iray

townhouse.jpg
    1800 x 1200 - 711K
    Post edited by luci45 on

..wow really nice and eccentric.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

@luci45 that is quite the outfit...takes a lot of self confidence to wear something like that...good for him.

Pull #3

316 - D.I.Y. Portrait Lights for DS4

977 – Millennium SubDragon Poses

702  - Hilly Surround

1054 – Nyoko Pigtail Hair

Random numbers generated Dec 6 2015 at 9:57:49 by www.psychicscience.org 

Free educational resources for parapsychology and psychical research.

I've been so busy at work I wanted to make sure I actually had time to create something before posting my pull.

• purrkatpurrkat Posts: 134

Thanks, luci45.

kyoto kid - Your Merida character rocks! Nice motion blur too.

luci45 - He's stylin' alright, and by the looks - loving it.

pull #4

Starship Stingray

Belly control genesis

Ysabeau 6

The Huntsman

edited December 2015
    Linwelly said:

so here is pull #2
    422 340 120 102
    Random numbers generated Nov 29 2015 at 13:52:1 by www.psychicscience.org  

Viking Male Hair for Genesis and Genesis 2 Males
    Shape Presets for Genesis 2 Male(s)     wow! Never seen this one before, doesn't even exist in the shop anymore, had to look up in the installed files to find out what it is
    Epsilon for Michael 4
    Domino for V4

lots of men and one woman, sounds like a guarantee for some Murphy happening...

Linwelly entry#2

Title: Starwars Party
    law applied: The sexier a man is, the better the chances that he is gay

When she saw the add for the starwars party she was all aflame, when she entered the club, she was even more excited, and then they played "supreme" by Robie Williams... yes, all the handsome men where gay...

additionally used:
    Level 19
    MEC4D's jumpsuit
    Wildenlander Cloak
    Heracles
    Shimmer
    Siren
    Nightguard
    Spacestones
    Future light Tables
    Medea Hair
    Tristan hair
    FishtailBraids
    I guess there are some more I forgot

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/ce/42cc95c4b363539c5e09d44afc74a7.jpg

Starwars-Party.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    Post edited by Linwelly on

Linwelly - So true... LOL (They should have included the "gay love bar" in the advertizement.)

Also want to add - a thank you to Linwelly, Kismet2012 and kyoto kid for you comments. I meant to include this in my eariler post, but my head cold has me spacing out today.

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447

Taking a few hours off from working on my entry (mainly because I brought the wrong computer with me!), so I'm working on the art for one of my other projects.  But I thought I'd drop in to see what's shakin'....

I finally figured out the motion-blur issue, I'm happy to report.  Here's the thing: when you blur an image, it's only the selected frame that gets blurred; how much, or how little, depends on the number of frames you have selected.  Unfortunately, that wasn't what I wanted -- I wanted the full motion path, a continuous arc of motion, from beginning to end.

Here's how I did it.

I made everything in the scene invisible, except for the object I wanted to blur.  Then I rendered the series of frames, from first to last.  Finally, I opened them all in GIMP, stacking each, as a separate layer, on top of one another, in sequence.

After restoring the rest of the scene, visibility-wise, I rendered one final version, brought it into GIMP, and dropped my motion-arc layer on top of it.  The result was pretty close to the effect I was after.

(Yeah, I know I said I don't like to do post-work, but some times you just have to bite the bullet, and deal with it.  And technically, it's not really 'post' work, it's more like 'intra'-work.)

edited December 2015

Time for some comenting, you have all been very productive, lots of it taken from life, seem everyone had their touchdowns with Murphy.

Kismet#1: yes you can turn deamon for that, I once had a car rented on summer holiday, made the shopping, including icecream and fresh meat, put everything into the trunk, closed the lid... and the car keys were inside, the car closed, no way to get it, had to call the rental company, they towed the car 200km to the next central of their company where I was told I could collect the car two day later, pay a fee of 200€ and have a cautious look to the shopping bags in the trunk still sitting there. The luckiest part was that the bags were really tight, just took them directly to the bin. I was deamoning it out for days.

Ken#2: yes that, me setting of the fire alarm in my mother kitchen by trying to barbecue in the oven, so spot on, LOL

Ken#3: I shudder thinking about that, It gonna leave marks from the beak...

Gopherus#3: hehe, that like "driving home for christmas" on the radio these days

emsim#2: Now that a true hero, first get to safety then see if the girl is still in a state worth saving..

luci45#4: That is the perfect pout! As weird as it it the girl with the antlers looks perfectly normal

Karibou#1: poor girl has had it rough, she needs to render herself a trojan horse to hide in!

Gopherus#4: haha, those guy in space suits with the cameras its glorious

purrcat#2, oh the tragedy of that, but now he's got his hands free to take her into his arms, I' so hope he will.

Kismet#2: that malicious look on her face, perfect!

Totte#3: The lady on the right back looks like she is about to take care of that fool, otherwhise that has a very lovely atmosphere, should be a happy romantic evening.

Chanteur#1: that looks like she should make sure there are still all parts of her soul with her... so much about drinking the other people in the bar beautiful.

Luci45#5: seriously where do you even get all that stuff, what is leaping out for the dragonfly? Must be the dragonfish, but who makes dragonfish for daz... Well if I were him I'd turn around and close that door again

purrcat#3: I'm still surprised all those chicken made it though the day, I somehow expect to see one less every day ;-)

Luci45#6: he would be perfectly fine as some pop celebrity so no worries here, just waiting to see those paparazzi reappear

now I go and complete my runtime list for the next pull

Linwelly#3
    448 52 83 91
    Random numbers generated Dec 13 2015 at 15:22:59 by www.psychicscience.org  
    Japanese Flair
    Breast Cancer Research Russian Egg (hello again)
    Dark Corrosion Shaders
    Decorative Easel Set

Post edited by Linwelly on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092
    edited December 2015
    MelanieL said:

2956 = FWSI Marie HD for Monique 6 (21108)
    3182 = Super Shaders - Mesh Magic (21863)
    2850 = Royal Highness (10037)
    3200 = Collective3d Portrait Vignettes Contemporary 2 (21208)

Got something together at long last:

TAG:MelanieL#1

Some Day My Prince Will Come...

... bearing an invitation to his Grand Ball.  But that will be the day after I decided it was never going to happen, so I took all my party dresses to the charity shop and now I literally haven't a thing to wear!

Also Used:
    Marie: Medea Hair, Aether Outfit for G2F (retextured with Mesh Magic shaders)
    Prince Michael: M4 with Jepe's Ian-Pierre skin texture, Just Rings Goth (Mesh Magic'd with Gemologica stone)
    Accent Tables, Collective3d Portrait Vignettes Contemporary 1 (Mesh Magic'd picture frames), Decor Basics (Mesh Magic'd vases), Reflections Furniture (rug), Advanced Ambient and Advanced Distant lights

Some-Day-My-Prince-Will-Come.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 601K
    Post edited by MelanieL on

Well I've missed a lot so sorry for the lengthy catchup:
    @ebonartgallery #1 - ooh, that warranty thing can be really annoying, we had that happen to TWO VCRs in the past (not that we were planning to go on holiday in them!) He's not so much red in the face with anger as green in the hair.
    @diomede #1 - yep, that looks a little familiar too! Nice posing, you can see what's on the little boy's mind.
    @purrkat #1 - going for the surreality award I see?! Lovely render - nice use of the effects.
    @Ken OBanion #1 - ooh, picky hostess! Nice idea, despite your reservations about the lighting.
    @luci45 #3 - and there goes that imagination again, a seal invasion!!?! Amazing idea and lovely render.
    @Kismet2012 #1 - oh, another bad day! I like that crazy mannequin!
    @Ken OBanion #2 - great stuff, I love it! The smoke and flames are spot on, as is the title.
    Ken #3 - another great idea, nice griffin-ry, love the dialogue. I must admit I've barely opened Poser since I won a copy (only P10) two years ago so the mysteries of rendering there are very opaque to me.
    @Gopherus #3 - poor Puss! The dogs are lapping up the song though. Nicely done.
    @Emsim #2 - hmm, that's what I call an interruption! I like the pose of the woman in (what's left of) the bandstand!
    @luci45 #4 - oh the heart bleeds for the poor little rich boy! I love his glum expression.
    @Karibou #1 - lovely colours and effects, nice render (of a truly weird pull!)
    @Gopherus #4 - glad he put his shirt back on or we'd have missed out on seeing that one! Great idea.
    @purrkat #2 - oh, poor man! Seems he has trouble with his hands as well as his foot - I hope she forgave him, she looks kindly.
    @Kismet2012 #2 - yes, that mirror has his work cut out with that Queen! The look on his face is priceless.
    @Totte #3 - well at least he looks happy (though the passers by less so) I love that misty background atmosphere and the lights
    @Chanteur-de-Vent #1 - quite an extreme example! Lovely expression on her face, nice use of DOF - he looks almost attractive when blurry (presumably what she thought last night)
    @luci45 #5 - for a scene of devastation, that's one very pretty render! Great use of the War Machine and the Watercraft, a fairly weird combination, it must be said. I like the little details like the fish chasing the dragonfly and the monkeys in apparent deep conversation.
    @purrkat #3 - I'm sure Gus was a little bit relieved to learn that Sinbad "likes" him, it could be worse! Yes, and cats are like that - drawn to the magnet of a cat-hater.
    @luci45 # 6 - ooh, what a dandy! Lovely render with those building sets fitting together surprisingly well.
    @Linwelly #2 - bit of a disappointing evening then? Great idea.

And for my second pull:

3328 = Jewelry Basics for Genesis 3 Female(s) (22529)
    891 = WinterBerry (10112)
    101 = Anime Uniforms (8863)
    3370 = Homestyle Iray Shaders (22645)

Ah, more shaders! (But this one will have to be an Iray render, so "bye-bye" AoA light sets)

@Linwelly - poor girl...hopefully she will find another party

@MelanieL - that is always the way.  As soon as you get rid of something you need it.

MelanieL - ... and that's how people become horders! The guy delivering the envelope is probably thinking - just wear what you have on. LOL

edited December 2015

Starship Stingray

Belly Control genesis

Ysabeau 6

The Huntsman

Also used, Japes PlateZ_1 and (2), Japes PlateZll_1, Flying V, XTech Suit V2, XTech Dreadlock Ponytail for G2, GOM Creatures Goblin Horde 4, Lathbel jack of hearts pants, Troll club, WPcyc environment.

Tag: purrkat #4

Murphy's law #2 - "Nothing is ever as simple as it seems."

First Contact - It was a routine flight, that she could fly with her eyes closed. Keeping tabs on Planet B's quaint world and it's humanoid inhabitants was a daily task. As her starship in stealth mode, slipped silently into the atmosphere, it was dusk. Beau had just spotted two figures in the field below, when warning lights began to flash...and suddenly, she was loosing altitude fast. 
    Hunter and his side kick Ork, heard a sonic boom that had them hitting the ground and scanning the sky. Seeing an odd, fireball, falling toward a clump of trees nearby, they were back on their feet. Stories of Alien monsters with two heads and multiple eyes, came to Hunter's mind as he ran.

Beau could see that the two males were coming - one last call... Mission control, about the prime directive of no contact...and then - brace for impact. She was on the ground, popping the hatch. Gripped by icy cold pins of panic, a cold sweat broke over her as she realized, there would be no rescue. One simple fight gone bad and her life had just changed f o r e v e r.

First Contact.jpg
    1002 x 563 - 383K
    Post edited by purrkat on
  • KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    edited December 2015
    Karibou said:
    Pull #2...

2970     Enchanted Bubble (ironman13, EmmaAndJordi), RR
    1588     Classic Barbecue (blondie9999), DAZ
    9622     The Necropolis of Agarii (Orestes Graphics), DAZ
    687       Asterella for GIS Empress (Moyra), DAZ

TAG: Karibou #2
    Title: The Annoyingly Cheerful Co-worker

Murphy's Law: The harder you try to keep a secret, the more likely it is to become public knowledge.

Bastinda had tried to keep the date and location of the picnic from Glinda, but somehow the annoyingly cheerful girl always found them.

CompanyPicnic1.jpg
    2000 x 1730 - 703K
    Post edited by Karibou on
    edited December 2015

Okay, I've got my purchase database updated!  Ready for pull #3...

6467      Nabia Hair (Mairy, 3Dream, plus3d), RR
    8074      Sabby-Charisma for Genesis 2 Female(s) (Sabby), RR
    261        Aikanaro (Nouschka Design), DAZ
    10236    Ultimate Firefly Collection (Ajax, noggin), DAZ

RRRR3.jpg
    1506 x 1986 - 718K
    Post edited by Karibou on

So much to catch up on!  I'm so sloooowww...!!

Gopherus #04, "The Price of Fame" - Tee-hee!  I love the "CURSE YOU!" pose with the raised fist.  Very... cheeky.  :)
    purrkat #2, "Fumble" - Oh no!!  I hope he can swim? Great posing -- really looks like the jewelry is falling out of the box!
    Kismet2012 #2, "Mirror Mirror" - Sometimes a little white lie is understandable.  Especially if there's a mallet involved!
    Totte #3, "Murphy's Law about drinking habits" - True!!  They're also usually the loudest.  I think I've been to that party -- it didn't end well!
    Chanteur-de-Vent #1, "A Curious date" - LOL!  That's fantastic!  Best use of DOF I've seen in eons.  I love this one!
    purrkat #3, "Circus" - And here I'm annoyed when my 14-pound ginger tabby jumps on my head at 4am!  Very clever use of your items!
    luci45 #5, "Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse" - My first thought is that this is a truly beautiful render.  My second thought is that maybe my husband drugged my diet coke with something psychotropic, lol.  (And dear god, I'm not sure if I'm more afraid of the leaping carnivorous fish or the enormous dragonfly...)
    luci45 #6, "Law of Fashion" - And don't forget the corollary to this: Your worst fashion choices are always captured on film. :)
    Linwelly#2, "Starwars Party" - These aren't the guys you're looking for. Move along. (hee-hee!)
    MelanieL#1, "Some Day My Prince Will Come..." - This would be where she puts out an APB on her fairy godmother?  Love the empty closet!  (Wish I had the discipline to clean out MY useless clothes!)
    purrkat #4, "First Contact" - Well, that's ONE way to make a first impression!  The geese are a nice touch!

@Kismet2012 - thanks for the comment - that's exactly why I never throw anything away myself!
    @purrkat #4 - he looks more pleased to see her than that bow suggests? Nice idea.
    Thanks for your comments too - as I noted above, I'm a true hoarder myself. Looking back, perhaps the phrase "nothing to wear" should really be "nothing substantial to wear" - but TOS and needing to use those shaders prevented total accuracy! Wonder if she'd have a good time if she came as she was?
    @Karibou #2 - oh dear, how to dampen an otherwise gloriously miserable party - Bastinda's expression says it all. Nice one.
    And thanks for your comments too - I really must make a New Year Resolution to clear out my old stuff - some dates back to the 1970s! But at least I'm ready for that invitation...

Thanks, Kyoto Kid, Kismet2012, purrkat, Linwelly, MelanieL and Karibou.
    Linwelly entry#2 LOL, so true... Great dark club mood.
    MelanieL#1 - Great use your pull. Oh, but she's so young to get rid of all her party dresses. 
     purrkat #4 Nice one! I love your dramatic compositions, and dramatic story on this one.
    Karibou #2 Haha, I love this one. Great poses and expressions. The witches are perfect in chartreuse(?) too. 

My pull #7:
    MFD for Genesis Expansion Pack 2
    Cleopatra Outfit
    Men at Work Poses
    Glamour & Darkness for Emotions
    Out of the Forest (LB)
    Guillaume Hair for Genesis and M4 (LB)
    Bat - Silverkey3d  (LB)
    Candle Collection (LB)
    Gila Monster (LB)