dForce Simming Hair

jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,365

I'm trying to run a simulation on a figure laying on the floor so their hair looks right. It stalls after 10-15 minutes. It's been "running" for 2 hours now even though DS says it's only been 16 minutes (and 67% finished with the starting from memorized pose portion of the festivities). The program is using 58 GB of RAM (it's gone up 7 GB while I typed this up) and is still climbing in 4K increments every 2-4 seconds. What?? It dropped back to 40 GB as I was looking up the hair's store page. CPU usage is nothing. I have 128 GB of system ram so there's no page file churn of any kind. (And it's is climbing once again.)

The hair is https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-bob-style-hair-for-genesis-8-females-and-genesis-9 (I'm using the G9 version)

I tried both starting from mem pose and not doing that. Both hung up in the middle. I've tried it in DS4 and DS6. I don't want to change the hair since the character has appeared in over 50 comic pages now.

Post edited by jmucchiello on

Comments

  • As a reminder, dforce sims are GPU based using OpenCL, so your cpu usage should be 1c/2th at a max.

    I ran a sim with this hair on a g8f with a 5m plane/floor, and nothing else in the scene, on  my old P-40 only took about 6.5 minutes to do a "laying on floor" sim, with "Start bones from memorized pose" off and 9 min 22 sec with that on.

    My best guess, you've got way more than just that hair getting simulated, as a naked g8f and that hair only takes up ~2GB of sysram and ~400MB of vram for the sim on my system.

    Probably want to check the scene and set "Freeze simulation" to on for anything you don't want to sim, or turn visibility off, or delete the items out then "undo" after the sim is done.

     

     

     

     

  • jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,365

    DrunkMonkeyProductions said:

    As a reminder, dforce sims are GPU based using OpenCL, so your cpu usage should be 1c/2th at a max.

    I ran a sim with this hair on a g8f with a 5m plane/floor, and nothing else in the scene, on  my old P-40 only took about 6.5 minutes to do a "laying on floor" sim, with "Start bones from memorized pose" off and 9 min 22 sec with that on.

    My best guess, you've got way more than just that hair getting simulated, as a naked g8f and that hair only takes up ~2GB of sysram and ~400MB of vram for the sim on my system.

    Probably want to check the scene and set "Freeze simulation" to on for anything you don't want to sim, or turn visibility off, or delete the items out then "undo" after the sim is done.

    I used the simulation manager so only the hair should be simming. And only the ground and her are visible at the moment. The GPU has had 3GB allocated throughout this. It is still running right now. And the amount of RAM allocated to DS is down to 3.5 GB. It's doing something. But it still hasn't updated the GUI.

    I'm going to add a plane under the figure and then export the figure and the plane to a new scene to run the sim.

     

     

     

     

  • felisfelis Posts: 6,553
    edited September 28

    I have the hair, though I can't remember using it before.

    Used timeline for 60 frames, 5 min and 40.

    Which pose does she have? Can something interfere. Your experience sounds like an upcoming explosion.

    dForce_Bob_Style_hair_01.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by felis on
  • jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,365
    edited September 28

    Her arm is going through the hair. That's why I'm starting from a zero pose. It doesn't get to the point where her arm crosses the hair though when the sim pauses.

    I've created an entirely new scene.

    • Created a plane on the floor and given it a static dForce modifier.
    • Loaded a base G9 figure.
    • Loaded the hair on the figure. 
    • Loaded the pose (that I saved from the other scene file) onto the figure
    • Turn on start from memorized pose
    • Hit simulate.

    We'll see how that does. This is DS4. 

    EDIT: 15 minutes to sim. Now I have to figure out how to get this hair onto my actual character in the actual scene.

    Untitled.png
    1473 x 405 - 135K
    Post edited by jmucchiello on
  • jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,365

    DrunkMonkeyProductions said:

    My best guess, you've got way more than just that hair getting simulated, as a naked g8f and that hair only takes up ~2GB of sysram and ~400MB of vram for the sim on my system.

    Probably want to check the scene and set "Freeze simulation" to on for anything you don't want to sim, or turn visibility off, or delete the items out then "undo" after the sim is done.

    So what's the easy way to figure out what's in the scene messing this up? There's a lot of object in the scene. But most of them dForce free. (they don't show up in the manage simulation list at all)

  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 10,330
    edited September 28

    jmucchiello said:

    Her arm is going through the hair. That's why I'm starting from a zero pose. It doesn't get to the point where her arm crosses the hair though when the sim pauses.

    I've created an entirely new scene.

    • Created a plane on the floor and given it a static dForce modifier.
    • Loaded a base G9 figure.
    • Loaded the hair on the figure. 
    • Loaded the pose (that I saved from the other scene file) onto the figure
    • Turn on start from memorized pose
    • Hit simulate.

    We'll see how that does. This is DS4. 

    EDIT: 15 minutes to sim. Now I have to figure out how to get this hair onto my actual character in the actual scene.

    I 100% followed your steps. With a 4090, it took 6 mins 21 secs in DS4.24, 5 mins 58 secs in DS 6.25 to complete a simulation ~ (read from DS logs)

    Then I turned off Enable Smoothing on the hair, it took 1 min 53 secs in DS 6.25 to finish the job.  Then turned Enable Smoothing back on.

    You may give it a try with my scene... see if it still simulate with that long time ~

     

    duf
    duf
    dForce Sim ~.duf
    3M
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,365
    edited September 28

    crosswind said:

    jmucchiello said:

    Her arm is going through the hair. That's why I'm starting from a zero pose. It doesn't get to the point where her arm crosses the hair though when the sim pauses.

    I've created an entirely new scene.

    • Created a plane on the floor and given it a static dForce modifier.
    • Loaded a base G9 figure.
    • Loaded the hair on the figure. 
    • Loaded the pose (that I saved from the other scene file) onto the figure
    • Turn on start from memorized pose
    • Hit simulate.

    We'll see how that does. This is DS4. 

    EDIT: 15 minutes to sim. Now I have to figure out how to get this hair onto my actual character in the actual scene.

    I 100% followed your steps. With a 4090, it took 6 mins 21 secs in DS4.24, 5 mins 58 secs in DS 6.25 to complete a simulation ~ (read from DS logs)

    Then I turned off Enable Smoothing on the hair, it took 1 min 53 secs in DS 6.25 to finish the job.  Then turned Enable Smoothing back on.

    You may give it a try with my scene... see if it still simulate with that long time ~

    I already rebuilt the scene from scratch and the sim finished successfully. I've moved on from that scene. My library is huge and there's probably some morph somewhere out of whack. But the logs around the simulation say nothing between start and finish aside from these things: 2026-09-28 03:50:12.977 [INFO] :: Spring(102623, 102643) of node "dForce Bob Style Hair" extended: rest length < collsion offset (0.0195355 < 0.02001) There's 591 of them.

    If I have time later, I'll check out your duf. Thanks for trying to help.

    Post edited by jmucchiello on
Sign In or Register to comment.