Round table cloth anywhere?

I'm after a round table cloth to use for a restaurant round table. It should be either dForce enabled, or able to apply a dForce modifier to sim.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 41,692

    Y scaled down sphere cut in half using the Geometry editor wouldn't work?

  • Oh, never thought of that.

  • jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,414

    Don't forget to use a high Divisions value so the Dynamic dForce modifier will work. (I always end up using 1 and wondering why dForce isn't working.)

  • It doesn't seem to work for me, I'll have to try something else.

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 27,618
    edited September 12

    What part isn't working? What happened when you tried? Try a plane with a circular opacity map to get more even mesh quads for dForcing. You could use the Geometry Editor capability to rotate triangulation of selected polygons to improve draping smoothness.

    Round Tablecloth from plane with opacity map.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 41,692
    edited September 12

    while I haven't tried a tablecloth, I have made many circular skirts from edited DAZ sphere primitives

    you cannot edit it after making it a dynamic object though, if you do, you will need to remove that and reapply

    and yes, load the primitive with lots of sections and divisions 

    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,414

    barbult said:

    What part isn't working? What happened when you tried? Try a plane with a circular opacity map to get more even mesh quads for dForcing. You could use the Geometry Editor capability to rotate triangulation of selected polygons to improve draping smoothness.

    It might be helpful if you also posted the before primitive in wire view.

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 27,618
    It is just a Daz primitive plane. I think I created it 2 or 3 Meters on a side and 100 divisions. I rotated the triangulation of two quadrants so all quadrant triangulation aimed toward a plane corner. There was a Daz tutorial on that technique when dForce was introduced. I can't add any images tonight. My computer is shut down and I have only my phone.
  • Thank you for all your suggestions, I figured it out.

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 27,618

    jmucchiello said:

    It might be helpful if you also posted the before primitive in wire view.

    Here is a top view screenshot of the primitive plane with my circular opacity map, a blue viewport background, and the Triangulation Wireframe Opacity increased in Draw Settings. 

    Screenshot 2026-09-12 163247.png
    1450 x 1447 - 452K
  • Did the triangles help it drape? Otherwise it seems to be a step not altogether needed. Always wanting to learn. Regards, Richard.
  • felisfelis Posts: 6,573
    edited September 12

    The way the triangles is orientated can help it drape better, more smoothly.

    But this is a fairly dense mesh, so noy sure how much it would change.

    Post edited by felis on
  • Traingulating can help, but you can control how DS triangulates to mimic the way that the two diagonally oposite quadrants have the same direction of split and the adjacent quadrants the opposite by using the right-click>Geometry Editing>Rotate Triangulation... command with the Geoemtry Editor on the selsected quadrants, which avoids doubling the working polygon count.

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 27,618

    felis said:

    The way the triangles is orientated can help it drape better, more smoothly.

    But this is a fairly dense mesh, so noy sure how much it would change.

    It might not add much for this density. I don't have any evidence one way of the other. I didn't try without the triangulation rotation, because with it was my best chance for success. It is very easy to do the triangulation rotation on a plane like this, so I just did it. 

  • Will have to try it myself. My main focus tends to be de-triangulation to get rid of pointy ones that are created by SolidWorks during the conversion to .stl when moving a model to DS. In some ways it seems nuts to deliberately introduce them. Regards, Richard.
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 27,618

    richardandtracy said:

    Will have to try it myself. My main focus tends to be de-triangulation to get rid of pointy ones that are created by SolidWorks during the conversion to .stl when moving a model to DS. In some ways it seems nuts to deliberately introduce them. Regards, Richard.

    The Geometry Editor Triangulation Rotation won't de-triangulate. 

  • I know. I have written a de-triangulation method in my modeller to attempt to deal with pointy triangles. It usually, frequently, mostly works. The way it determines the angle between facet normals needs improvement as it sometimes merges facets into a quad where the triangle normals are at 90degrees to each other, leading to a seriously warped quad and strange looking edge in DS. Regards, Richard
  • Why not flatten a cone, so that the triangles are all pointed towards the center?  Or would that be too regular a drape, as even round tablecloths are generally cut from square-woven fabrics?

  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,653
    edited September 13

    And  this  +   dont  know  the  number  of  Subdivides  And   kind  of  File  Types  ??  Thanx

    made  with  Blender  279b

    zip
    zip
    TableClothss.zip
    200K
    zip
    zip
    TablCloths 2s.zip
    200K
    Post edited by ed3D on
  • ed3D said:

    And  this  +   dont  know  the  number  of  Subdivides  And   kind  of  File  Types  ??  Thanx

    made  with  Blender  279b

    Thank you!

    I'll gladly try it out. 

  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,653

    DoctorJellybean said:

    ed3D said:

    And  this  +   dont  know  the  number  of  Subdivides  And   kind  of  File  Types  ??  Thanx

    made  with  Blender  279b

    Thank you!

    I'll gladly try it out. 

    ..  you're  more  than  welcome   / 

  • jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,414

    I knew I'd seen a resource: https://www.daz3d.com/sy-morphing-primitives-and-merchant-resource

    5th row, item 1 is dForce round cloth. Next to it is square cloth.

  • jmucchiello said:

    I knew I'd seen a resource: https://www.daz3d.com/sy-morphing-primitives-and-merchant-resource

    5th row, item 1 is dForce round cloth. Next to it is square cloth.

    A lot easier, thank you. 

Sign In or Register to comment.