Calling Fenric.

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
    edited December 2015
    head wax said:

Greetings, don't know if fentic is still out there, hope so.
    Woke up this morn ( lucky me) and this epiphany

Wondered if we could organise a shiort cut keyboard thingy so once you selected a figure, you could hit eg the key 'r' and have the figure's right hand selected? Etc so maybe 'h' for head, l for left hand etc, would make workflow much quicker once the shortcuts were set up

Hya wgdjohn, this is the quote from further up this thread :)

That other comment, ah I found it by trolling through Fenric's posts. He is fairly  taciturn so it didnt take long :)

Post edited by Headwax on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Doh! I'd read that quite awhile ago. :-\

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,234

I would feel lost if I didn't have my Fenric commands. Edit > Fenric is used a lot in my workflow!

Now if only I had an CR2 exporter for Carrara... that would be amazingly cool... and time saving!

• FenricFenric Posts: 351

At this time, I am not writing anything more for Carrara.

I tried changing the selection, and I got very tired of it crashing on Genesis.

I tried getting an AppLink for 3DCoat, but too many things just don't work as advertised, and I crashed both Carrara and 3D Coat enough that I'm back to "no more file plug-ins, ever"

I've already had to disclaim everything "May not work with Genesis", and that really does bother me.

This stopped being fun, or even reasonable, and I'm out of steam.

Bummer. Really sorry to hear that.

Thank you very much, though, for the magic mastery you've already given us!

edited December 2015
    Fenric said:

At this time, I am not writing anything more for Carrara.

I tried changing the selection, and I got very tired of it crashing on Genesis.

I tried getting an AppLink for 3DCoat, but too many things just don't work as advertised, and I crashed both Carrara and 3D Coat enough that I'm back to "no more file plug-ins, ever"

I've already had to disclaim everything "May not work with Genesis", and that really does bother me.

This stopped being fun, or even reasonable, and I'm out of steam.

Genesis? Who uses $#%$&* Genesis? :) I still use v4 m4 k4 p4 n4 z4 etc !

Fenric, that's very sad for the Carrara community. I'm so sorry to hear that - but I can understand your frustration.

Thanks for everything you have done for us. If I didn't have your plugins I would have probably moved onto other software a long time ago.

regards

Andrew F

I still use v4 m4 k4 p4 n4 z4 etc !

Me too. 

We love you, Fenric!

• Me luvz you three heart

do not leave us crying

Hey, come on... I didn't say "never ever again no way nohow!" just... not at this time.

And Smith Micro is apparently trying to prove just how badly they can screw a release up, too!  >:)

You don't like P10, I take it?

edited December 2015

P11 is having 'teething' problems. I bought it as  a Carrara plugin but it was a waste of my money .

The morph centres tool looks good but I can't get the result into Carrara .... I tried Fenric's free tool (thank you Fenric) but when I tried to load the resulting car file I got a 'not my type' error.

Here is m4 morphed into k4  and k4 morphed into M4 and V4  ... it has potential , daz mil dog and puppywork too  (poser renders)

If they was someway to export a Carrara scene to Poser and keep the cameras spot on then it would be pretty handy to use Poser comic book styles 

hh.png
    1469 x 1182 - 2M
    k4tom4v41.jpg
    1165 x 1168 - 71K

Hey, come on... I didn't say "never ever again no way nohow!" just... not at this time.

Thats great new Fenric ! 

Ooops. I meant P11! LOL

You don't like it either, eh?

I keep looking for improvements to what I use Poser for, and they never improve the walk designer and the pose/expression file saving stuff just doesn't need improvements from Poser 7, so I'm just sticking with it. I barely ever use the walk designer anymore, but it's still a fine tool. I haven't fired up Poser in a long time. But I really like how easily it works for saving bits and pieces of poses or expressions and their animations.

Fenric's PZ2 exporter has been a real dream-come-true for me, as I really like that format for saving/loading pose files. Kudos!

Genesis DUF pose files take for-freaking-ever to load. I'm just finding generation 4 figures to be so much nicer for me to work with. I keep trying Genesis now and again, just to see what I might be missing. Yeah... they are wonderful models with awesome rigs. But the fact remains that Generation 4 figures have an excellence all their own, too. Where Genesis 3 has an immense rig for being able to grab a facial bone and adding specific quirks to an expression, Carrara has given that ability to Generation 4 figures all along. Just make specialized morphs for special people!

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 2015

So what we really need is a kickstarter to raise enough funds to get Carrara, and fund development into what it should be :)

An Fenric it is greatly appreciated all you have done and all you tried to do..

Post edited by Milo on
  • head wax said:

If they was someway to export a Carrara scene to Poser and keep the cameras spot on then it would be pretty handy to use Poser comic book styles 

Probably I don't know what I'm talking about but I wonder whether you could put Carrara scene items into a hierarchy (group) and export them as an object?  The scene would need to be simple, I guess, but even then I suppose textures would be a problem.  Forget I spoke!

• I wish animated hybrid dynamic cloth was exportable from Poser but that is a Poser coding/scripting issue not a Carrara one

dyn2morph only works on props not figures

I like clothfying parts of rigged clothing but you are stuck with using it only in Poser sadly but at least in later versions it saves as a scene, P7 it did not, pity carrara only sees it as conforming as the dynamics cannot be baked

Ooops. I meant P11! LOL

You don't like it either, eh?

snip

Fenric's PZ2 exporter has been a real dream-come-true for me, as I really like that format for saving/loading pose files. Kudos!

snip

Oh it's not bad, just the bucks are big and the bang is small :)

They are on the ball though, they already have SRI up. They are making sure they keep their user base happy. Reminds me of when Apple was the underdog. That made them sit up and listen to their users. Smith Micro is doing the same thing.

I use Poser for the fitting room - you'd love it. And aso for trabnsferring morphs easily between figures. I also use it for cannabilising figures - eg you can make a figure with just M4's head and keep all the morphs etc and the rigging, but dump most of the mesh.

Yes Fenric's PZ2 exporter is pretty wonderous :)

@Milo, I was thinking along those lines to get Fenric involved again :) too many variables though?

edited December 2015
    head wax said:

Probably I don't know what I'm talking about but I wonder whether you could put Carrara scene items into a hierarchy (group) and export them as an object?  The scene would need to be simple, I guess, but even then I suppose textures would be a problem.  Forget I spoke!

Good idea, the textures would need tweaking I guess. The main problem is emulating the camera position. In Carrara I can import a poser scene and the camera will be there, at the right angle, but the focal length (?) and ratio will be different, You can get around it with some fiddling But I want to go the other way..... setup my scenes in Carrara and export them along with a camera :) The OBJ export works fine but doesnt give us a camera (?)

I wish animated hybrid dynamic cloth was exportable from Poser but that is a Poser coding/scripting issue not a Carrara one

dyn2morph only works on props not figures

I like clothfying parts of rigged clothing but you are stuck with using it only in Poser sadly but at least in later versions it saves as a scene, P7 it did not, pity carrara only sees it as conforming as the dynamics cannot be baked

interesting Wendy, I use poser for the cloth room for stills only, but whene I bring the result into Carrara it always takes a while to get the right size shape orientation of the clothing - its a pitrra

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnAn2IFi0mI

Prop dynamics bake nicely and export, I had to slice off her skirt, save as obj and make waistband contrained group and parent it to her waist

after running dyn2morph on result it loaded well into carrara, I hid the skirt on the rigged version, and yes needed same pz2 animation, prop size and parenting, a fresh figure was needed to do facial morphs

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    head wax said:

@Milo, I was thinking along those lines to get Fenric involved again :) too many variables though?

Hehe I don't know if we could raise enough money and Daz would let us buy out Carrara and if is enough of a state to do so :) but we can dream :)

head wax said:

This is the biggest reason I wanted to go with Poser 11 - it finally has FBX import/export! I've done a few small tests, and it seems to be working well.

Once they get the REST of Poser 11 working, there should be a MUCH easier pipeline between Carrara and Poser, since Carrara's FBX is really quite good as it uses the official Autodesk 2012 SDK. (Granted, this means it works as well as Autodesk's own applications do - so don't expect it to work any better than shuffling things between Max 2012 and Maya 2012).

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    Fenric said:
    head wax said:

This is the biggest reason I wanted to go with Poser 11 - it finally has FBX import/export! I've done a few small tests, and it seems to be working well.

Once they get the REST of Poser 11 working, there should be a MUCH easier pipeline between Carrara and Poser, since Carrara's FBX is really quite good as it uses the official Autodesk 2012 SDK. (Granted, this means it works as well as Autodesk's own applications do - so don't expect it to work any better than shuffling things between Max 2012 and Maya 2012).

carrara's fbx works fine unless it doesn't export all morphs, only animation; this can be a huge limitation and a good challenge for a coder

• I have something almost ready. I've been using it selfishly for some time and I decided to spend some time working on it enough to release it.

To make it short, it's a modifier you can apply on any figure or prop that removes poke through. It also creates morphs so that you don't have to do the computation every time you do something.

Morphs are keyframed and you can add different ones for different situations (a poke through created by a particular posture).

If someone is willing to help and is courageous enough to help debug an alpha version (on windows 64 bits), he (or she) is more than welcome.

Just be patient. I have very little time, Christmas is coming, and, as a software engineer, I hate to deliver unproved software. As I said, all I have now is on alpha stage.

Milo said:
    head wax said:

Hehe I don't know if we could raise enough money and Daz would let us buy out Carrara and if is enough of a state to do so :) but we can dream :)

dreaming is good :)

edited December 2015
    Fenric said:
    head wax said:

Fenric that's great news, thanks for that heads up. The only FBX I exported from Carrara, Poser 11 couldnt import. I noticed that I had two choices in the FBX export window.... I havent tried choice 2 yet. Will explore further after you have pointed that out, thank you.

Oh you know SR1 is already out ?

• stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited December 2015

Philemo said:

I have something almost ready. I've been using it selfishly for some time and I decided to spend some time working on it enough to release it.

To make it short, it's a modifier you can apply on any figure or prop that removes poke through. It also creates morphs so that you don't have to do the computation every time you do something.

Morphs are keyframed and you can add different ones for different situations (a poke through created by a particular posture).

If someone is willing to help and is courageous enough to help debug an alpha version (on windows 64 bits), he (or she) is more than welcome.

Just be patient. I have very little time, Christmas is coming, and, as a software engineer, I hate to deliver unproved software. As I said, all I have now is on alpha stage.. 

Hi Philemo, I'm working on documenting a workflow that will let the user essentially fit any gen4/Genesis/Genesis2 outfit quite accurately onto any gen 4 figure, male or female. I'm dealing with some very minor poke through issues and this could be the part that solves that for the user. I'd be happy to debug/beta test. 

Post edited by stringtheory9 on
    Philemo said:

I have something almost ready. I've been using it selfishly for some time and I decided to spend some time working on it enough to release it.

Just be patient. I have very little time, Christmas is coming, and, as a software engineer, I hate to deliver unproved software. As I said, all I have now is on alpha stage.

that sounds great philemo, thank you!!!  it might have other uses ? like cloth sim? or something like Poser's fitting room perhaps?

• Yes indeed Philemo

A huge step towards what DS can do with smoothing that would be

If really bad I sometimes do it the tedious way creating morphs in DAZ studio using the smoothing modifier and obj export but that is only useful for one initial t posed frame.

the softselect in Carrara vertexroom is very fiddly too,

DAZ smoothing modifier makes me so jealous, so wasted on them when we have bullet physics, imagine combining the two what one could do!!!

but just the clothing fixes are a much appreciated help heart