RRRR - Murphy’s Law Render Contest *closed*

Comments

• GopherusGopherus Posts: 1,103
    edited December 2015
    What I'm trying to do is to "break" the rope in one of the Gallows' nooses, using transparency maps to hide one half or the other; the idea being that the upper portion of the noose remains attached to the gallows, while the lower half "separates", with the noose still around the neck of the "hangee".  The noose is a separate prop, so that isn't an issue, and I can make various parts of the rope "disappear"; but the knots themselves adamantly persist in remaining visible!

It may not be appropriate for you but what i ve done before is render twice... with and without... then combine the renders in photoshop

Post edited by Gopherus on
  • Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone; I will definitely give the geometry editor a thorough looking-over.

Gopherus, I try to avoid post-work if I can, mainly because I am so staggeringly incompetent at it!  If I can't "bake" an effect into the actual render, then it just ain't gonna happen.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    Totte said:

Ken: I wrote a tut in DS Creative (can't remember the issue) about the Geometry Edit tool. I use that a lot, mostly to create new mat zones but also to hide geometry,

Issue 14 Page 36

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,489
    edited December 2015

Wow, so many renders ;-)

Thanks Gopherus, Linwelly, purrkat & Karibou

Kismet2012 #1: Yeah, a typical Murphy situation
    obanion#02: Good he didn’t try to fight the fire with one of your Martinis…
    obanion#03: Who can say no to a nice guy with bees and wings?
    Gopherus #03:  Poor poor cat, I really feel for him. Reminds of an evening at a conference hotel, sat in the bar my a colleague, and there was a cover band playing, awful band. No matter what song they mutilated, the bass player played the same three note bass loop, and the drummer played the exact same beat at a dreadfully slow pace. Just imaging Jail House Rock, Walk Of life, or Walking on Sunshine, att at 83 BMP (slow foxtrot tempo). Only good thing was that the bar was well supplied. 
    emsim #2: Guess what, cats and dogs do the same, love it!
    luci45 #4: As usual such a great usage of your pull, and very nice colors.
    Karibou #1: Hahaha - Both Murphy’s law and a day in Karibou’s life, in one render!
    Gopherus #04: Yeah - like people knows any “celebrity” if they see them in the paper, but not some of our greatest minds.
    purrkat #2 : That’s a perfect law interpretation!
    Kismet #2: Yes, even mirrors lie when threatened ;-)

Post edited by Totte on
    edited December 2015

Totte: #3 

Totte said:

#3008 Les Romantiques for Cheirocrates (#16290)
    #1347 Defender Textures (#18229)
    #3212 M4 Pirate (#8308)
    #1933 Fantasy Collar Set for Genesis 1 & 2 Male(s) (#17425)
    LB1 #4797 Sensibility Expansion 1 for Genesis 2 Female(s) (#20298)
    LB2 #1923 Fantasy Camp (#12522)
    LB3 #5420 Temptress Textures (#14830)

Random numbers generated Nov 28 2015 at 0:35:40 by www.psychicscience.org  
    Free educational resources for parapsychology and psychical research.

Also used:

G2F + Eve + Defender for Genesis 2 Female(s) + Bentley hair 
    Genesis + Chablis + Temptress + Suzan Hair+ Defiant (boots) +
    M4 + Jepes FGH + Davy Jones Locker for M4 Pirate  
    G2F + Klara +  Sensibility for Genesis 2 Female(s) + Sultry Hair 
    G2M + Jack + Dress Shoes + Cutting Loose (Cargoes) 
    Cheirocrates
    Puss in boot castle
    Carnival Big Tent
    Everyday drinks
    Lighting Collection

Shaders:
    Daily Cloth Shaders
    PC Metal
    UHT Iray Hair Shaders
    Iray Real Lights

Murphy's Law about drinking habits

The strongest person at the party has the worst drinking habits

murphy-alcohol.jpg
    1600 x 1280 - 209K
    Post edited by Totte on

Pull #4

#4354 Real Feel Double Layered T-Shirt for Genesis (#15473) (clothes)
    #5418 Teen Jayden 6 Pro Bundle (#18092) (face-palm, a bundle)
    #222 Almstübli (#4747) Old internal prop
    #1226 Danyel Hair (#10020) Hair
    LB1 #4161 PowerStar Final (#14413) Huge environment set
    LB2 #5132 Spectrum Generation 4 (#11352) (Gen 4 skin texture maker)
    LB2 #5815 Trendy College Outfit Textures (#17983) (clothing textures)

Random numbers generated Dec 6 2015 at 22:20:9 by www.psychicscience.org  
    Free educational resources for parapsychology and psychical research.

• purrkatpurrkat Posts: 134

Thank you Kismet2012, kyoto kid, and Totte for your comments.

Kismet2012 - She does look mean... I think mirror man needs to quickly remind her of the seven year bad luck rule!

Totte - I believe they call that - living large.

Pull #3

Carnivale DS

DAZ horse 2 Pro

Supersuit for Genesis

Habiscus Garden

purrkat said:

Thank you Kismet2012, kyoto kid, and Totte for your comments.

Kismet2012 - She does look mean... I think mirror man needs to quickly remind her of the seven year bad luck rule!

Totte - I believe they call that - living large.

Pull #3

Carnivale DS

DAZ horse 2 Pro

Supersuit for Genesis

Habiscus Garden

Thank you purrkat.  Hopefully he will think of something to save himself.

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,653
    Totte said:

Ken: I wrote a tut in DS Creative (can't remember the issue) about the Geometry Edit tool. I use that a lot, mostly to create new mat zones but also to hide geometry,

It's in issue 14, August. 

Thanks, Emsim, Novica, purrkat, kyoto kid, Karibou, Gopherus
     obanion#03 - Ouch, Stephanie, griffons have sharp beaks. Oh, Ken...
    Gopherus #03 LOL, those dogs are loving it. Poor Kitty.
     emsim #2 - a very Murphy law, and well illustrated!
    Karibou #1 Excellent! I thinks it's another Karibou classic!
    Gopherus #04 - The wonderful paparazzi. Too bad their energy and determination isn't put to good use -  they should be harrassing ISIS or Boko Haram. 
    purrkat #2 Good story and render and use of your wacky pull. 
    Kismet2012 #2 Hehe, nice one. Yes, I think she would use that mallet. 

My 5th pull:
    Hurdy Gurdy Man 
    Martian War Machine
    Crimson Seas for Genesis 3 Male(s)
    G2M Business Suit (Rendo)
    Canisters and Pans (LB)
    Princess of China 2 (LB)
    Mec4D Unshaven 2 for Genesis 2 Male(s) (LB)
    Sci-Fi Blast Bunker (LB)
    Wildwoods Watercraft (LB)

While I was ever-so-slowly posting, three more posts came up including Totte#3 - So true, and they are the loudest, most energetic and never pass out. 

And, thanks, Totte. 

• GopherusGopherus Posts: 1,103

Thanks Kyoto Kid, Purrkat, Kismet2012, Totte, and Luci45 for your comments

Purrkat #2  And he’ll never find another just like it!  She did get to see it as it fell… so the thought still counts.  Good one!

Kismet2012 #2  Nice magic mirror!  Is she testing for intelligence and self-preservation?  Where is Shrek when we need him?  Well done!

Totte #3  Probably because no one will dare mention it.  But he s having a good time and that s what counts.  Fun one!

Pull #05
    Vandalized Parkside Station
    Technotabby v4
    Toonimal Shark
    Point Pleasant Parkside Point

2 Parksides! They should go well together.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,559

...Technotabby and Toonimal Shark.  This could be interesting.

kyoto kid said:

...Technotabby and Toonimal Shark.  This could be interesting.

I really think Martian War Machine & Wildwoods Watercraft is an interesting combo....

• Chanteur-de-VentChanteur-de-Vent Posts: 566
    edited December 2015

Ok, I'm really late for the party. Something to do with the nanowrimo, which took up all of November time. Thank god (or Totte)  the deadline for this one is in January, so there still will be time to play around properly.

Emsim #1: One should never live close to a neighbour with a hydra, it's better to move right when they take in such a pet. 

Gopherus #1: Haha, this one made me think of all those stupid jokes about stupid blondes. Like how to keep a stupid blonde busy: give her a sheet of paper, with on both sides written "turn this sheet around". 

Luci45 #1: Wow, that was a very bad timing. Maybe they'll give up their delivery service after this. Love the lights in this one, it's really galaxy lighting. Well done!

Totte #1: So true! That's why men who do important stuff should have those eye covers, like horses do, so they won't get distracted so easily by girls around them.

Gopherus #2: Those face expressions are priceless. I bet next year they'll have to jump around even without a horse-stick, pretending to ride. 

Luci45 #2: Again, very good lighting. And I just love the combo of a fantasy tunic and a modern day guy. They look great together. As one of the Murphy's laws indeed said: you can't make anything foolproof, because fools are so ingenious.

Totte #2: I guess Easter Bunnies are like a special snack or something... Every zombie would rather have it that the other victim...

Limwelly #1: It's sometimes better to think there are no updates and be prepared for disripancies, than to do updates and trust your gps 100%. Because there will always be a disripancy. Not sure about steampunk gps though...

Ebonartgallery #1: Yep, stuff with warranties are like time bombs. They go off exactly a day after warranty expires. Nice pose for the guy. 

Diomede #1: Indeed, a short cut is the longest distance between A and B. And drinking is always resulting in unwanted complications.

purrkat #1: Always read the fine print I guess. Otherwise you can get into a lot of trouble before even figuring out how to get out of it. Love the hyperdimensional feel to this one.

Ken Obanion #1: Nice poses. I wonder how the party goes on. I mean, they have weapons...

Luci45 #3: Genious! Poor Mac, his poor geraniums. I guess life does take everything away sometimes. Those seals look so nastily happy...

Kismet2012 #1: Nice! Love the demonic mall idea, I really love it. And the total "it's unfair" expression suits her very well.

Ken Obanion #2: Cooking in a fancy suit is per definition doomed to go wrong. Just as when you take an umbrella it won't rain, but if you don't, it will most certainly rain.

Ken Obanion #3: What a perv! They should have killed him anyway. If they can if he uses the tongue, they should be able to do it in general, no? Or is it the distraction that is a crucual factor? Maybe that's all part of a plan... That's certainly doomed to fail...

Gopherus #3: Love the cat talking into the camera. Makes it like an interview. And indeed, a decent cat should never hang around where they keep playing the Hound Dog. I bet they play the "Hey, Bulldog" by Beatles as well...

Emsim #2: I bet the dragon was just annoyed some humans tried to go hide in its favorite toy. He certainly doesn't look pleased.

Luci45 #4: Priceless expressions. He certainly does look like a spoiled child with too many choices at hand.

Karibou #1: Very meta! Love it! I guess DAZaholics are never safe nowadays... I should build a bigger shelter. Love the bright colors and the butterfly.

Gopherus #4: I guess paparazzi will find you anywhere at the worst possible moment...

Purrkat #2: Poor guy, he's so adorably nervous. But yeah, when everything needs to be "perfect" it usually goes wrong in the worst possible way.

Kismet2012 #2: Quite clear he won't tell her anything new. But I guess that's what she was after.

Totte #3: I guess the strongest person, getting the most drunk, will also cause the most damage, just like Murphy said. Nice poses.

And Zawarkal and Karibou, I wish you all the best. Hope everything will go better from now on.

Post edited by Chanteur-de-Vent on
  • Chanteur-de-VentChanteur-de-Vent Posts: 566
    edited December 2015

My first pull:

HLA Book
    SF Genesis Variaty from SickleYield (from Rendo)
    Deco Bed 1
    Work Desk Set

Tag: Chanteur-de-Vent #1

Title: A Curious date

Murphy's law: Your one night stand date will always look less appealing in the morning than he did the night before.

When the young artist woke up this morning, she did vaguely remember bringing home a guy last night, but was quite surprised when she took a look at him in a clear daylight.

Also used:
    1. Pink Oak Desk
    2.Classic Deco: Eclectic 1
    3.A Curious Tea
    4.SickleYield's fantastical horns pack
    5.Dark Bride
    6.FW Sebastian: Incubus
    7.Meridiana
    8.Dark Passion
    9.Surfer's outfit (Genesis 2 Male Starter Essentials?)
    10.Genesis Supersuit Sci-fi
    11.Punk Hair
    12.Desideria Hair

A Curious date-resized1.jpg
    1275 x 1000 - 284K
    Post edited by Chanteur-de-Vent on

Murphy's law: Your one night stand date will always look less appealing in the morning than he did the night before.

When the young artist woke up this morning, she did vaguely remember bringing home a guy last night, but was quite surprised when she took a look at him in a clear daylight.

That is a very true law, and when that doen't happen, it's the time you decide to settle down  ;-) 

Chanteur-de-Vent - Ah, the lure of the "bad boy" - especially strong when you're not thinking clearly! Nice one.

I have a question for anyone in the know - my recent pull #3, is my first with a bundle. Having looked at the rules - I'm to use 2 or 3 complete items from it. So, the horse2 and wagon trail2, for example. BUT a horse texture from the bundle, would not count - correct?

Also, thank you Ken for you question, Kismet2012 for the link and Totte - great article! I need to experiment with this Geometry editor tool... so much to learn, so little time.

purrkat said:

Chanteur-de-Vent - Ah, the lure of the "bad boy" - especially strong when you're not thinking clearly! Nice one.

I have a question for anyone in the know - my recent pull #3, is my first with a bundle. Having looked at the rules - I'm to use 2 or 3 complete items from it. So, the horse2 and wagon trail2, for example. BUT a horse texture from the bundle, would not count - correct?

DAZ Horse pro contains 13 items, so using 2 plus texture is a little low, throw in at least one more item (That a huge bundle, same is my pulled one), my poor machine will crawl.

dhp.jpg
    1236 x 432 - 130K

Linwelly, Totte -- Thanks for the tip!

It looks like the Geometry Editor is exactly the tool I need to do what I want to do.

I have read discussions about it here in the forums, but I never got around to checking it out.  (I'm dinking around with it in DS, even now; I was going to offer a test render, but I'm afraid it would tip my hand and spoil the surprise!)

Suffice it to say that I am back on track.  Stay tuned....

luci45 said:

While I was ever-so-slowly posting, three more posts came up including Totte#3 - So true, and they are the loudest, most energetic and never pass out. 

And, thanks, Totte. 

YOU WERE THERE!?

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

Linwelly, Totte -- Thanks for the tip!

It looks like the Geometry Editor is exactly the tool I need to do what I want to do.

I have read discussions about it here in the forums, but I never got around to checking it out.  (I'm dinking around with it in DS, even now; I was going to offer a test render, but I'm afraid it would tip my hand and spoil the surprise!)

Suffice it to say that I am back on track.  Stay tuned....

Than I will happily wait for your surprise ;-)

luci45 said:

And, thanks, Totte. 

YOU WERE THERE!?

Too often. But not recently, fortunately. laugh

edited December 2015

Yes, Totte, Martian War Machine & Wildwoods Watercraft is an interesting combo along with a bundt cake pan and monkeys. 

tag: luci45 #5
    Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse
    Wealthy hedge fund manager Marty Pipster retired for several decades to his well-stocked bunker in order to wait out the bad times. When he ran out of his favorite scotch he decided to come out and found that, as Murphy and his own professional "wisdom" predicted - left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse. Good thing he was up pretty high as those pesky ocean levels were up quite a bit.

Used:
    Hurdy Gurdy Man 
    Martian War Machine
    Crimson Seas for Genesis 3 Male(s)
    G2M Business Suit (Rendo)
    Canisters and Pans
    Princess of China 2
    Mec4D Unshaven 2 for Genesis 2 Male(s)
    Sci-Fi Blast Bunker
    Wildwoods Watercraft

Also used:
    Silverkey Monkey
    Curious Proliferation
    Jungle Vines - Moss
    Tristan Hair
    Friday Hair
    Fraser Hair 
    UHT Hair Shaders
    Dragonfly
    Dragon Fish
    Tall Grass
    M7
    Atsuko
    Peter
    LB Swamp Plants
    PC Metal Shaders

bunker.jpg
    1800 x 1350 - 849K
    Post edited by luci45 on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,559

...nice pic and commentary.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,118
    edited December 2015

At last I have updated my product list and here is my first draw (Numbers are SKU numbers, not my product count!!!!).

Unfortunately, I'll be out of town again for several days, so I'll be slow to get going on this. All this being gone is getting old. I need my DAZ and RRRR! Since I use a desktop, DAZing only happens at home.

1. Ornamental Walls & Ceilings 20849
    2. Fountain of Health 18234
    3. Pink Oak Room DS 18637
    4. Fan and Reticule Set 20723
    5. Big Bill Trailer DS 16489 (LB)
    6. Nocturnal for Genesis 2 Female(s) 17270 (LB)
    RRRR.jpg
    400 x 764 - 274K
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited December 2015

Thank you luci45 and Gopherus for your comments. Thanks Totte - 3 items, got it.

luci45 - Love the way you put things together, nice lighting.

Tag: purrkat #3

Carnivale DS

DAZ Horse 2 Pro (Horse 2, barn yard, western saddle)

Supersuit for Genesis

Habiscus Garden

Also used: Madi Gras, Predatron LoREZ chicken, Neftis HairSalon, Genesis Chablis, Genesis Stefan, Mada TnC, MP Cyc Wild, DAZ Big Cat 2 White Tiger.

Murphy's law #4 - "Nature always sides with the hidden flaw."

Circus - Finally winter was loosening it's grip. The sun was warm, soon the trees would bud and the carnival would come to town. In his green house admiring his prize hibiscus, Gus noticed a circus truck stopped at the end of his farm. A young lady dressed in a skimpy costume had gotten out. Quickly, he snipped her a stem of flowers and hurried down for a closer look and to see if he could be of help. He'd no sooner given her the flowers when he was grabbed from behind and held in a bear hugging, furry, embrace. "Oh", the girl exclaimed, "Sinbad likes you!" Gripped with terror, Gus managed to gasp - "I'm allergic to cats."

Circus.jpg
    1002 x 563 - 461K
    Post edited by purrkat on

@luci45 - wouldn't want those pesky ocean levels to water down his scotch, whenever he replenishes his supply  wink

@purrkat - this reminds me of a Garfield cartoon strip.  Two identical men but 1 was alergic to cats...naturally he is the one the cats climb all over.  laugh

Hey, gang --

I've encountered yet another issue with my current entry.  (Man, this thing has 'Murphy' written all over it!  And it does -- literally -- as you will, I fervently hope, see someday soon.)

I'm trying to get some motion blur in one of my images, but DS is refusing to cooperate.  I've tried everything I could find in the forums, and even Googled it.  So far, nothing has worked.

Does anybody know any secret tips and/or tricks for this?

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

Hey, gang --

I've encountered yet another issue with my current entry.  (Man, this thing has 'Murphy' written all over it!  And it does -- literally -- as you will, I fervently hope, see someday soon.)

I'm trying to get some motion blur in one of my images, but DS is refusing to cooperate.  I've tried everything I could find in the forums, and even Googled it.  So far, nothing has worked.

Does anybody know any secret tips and/or tricks for this?

Ken, there are several critical steps with motion blurr, first what you move is what you get blurred, so if you want something moving (like a car) clear and the environment blurred as if the camera moves with the car, group everything else and move that! Make sure you tagged everything you want to move for position one and the end position. For my blurrs I reduced the number of steps to 5 or 6. Then I select the position 4 or the 5 as the "shot" that should be rendered. If you go to the start or the last, the movement is done and no motion will be rendred. Hope that gives you an idea, keep asking for details if needed.