Frankie 9 - Discussion Thread

Write IdeaWrite Idea Posts: 491
edited May 21 in The Commons

Frankie 9 has got an offer one can't refuse. Looks like a unique character. Both bundles look nice. However, this is the first one, I think, that the HD Character Bundle has nicer items then the Add-On Bundle.

• Frankie 9
• Frankie 9 HD Character Bundle
• Frankie 9 HD Add-On Bundle

Discuss!

Post edited by Write Idea on

Comments

  • caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,786

    The character looks pretty good, and so does the bundle, but the theme doesn’t really interest me. I see enough gangsters in politics every day; I don’t need them in my hobby as well...  ;-)

    It’s great that those ‘expressions’ aren’t included in the character bundle this time. Instead, there’s an apparently well-made accessory set from Tooth Fairy, really nice in that flashy mobster style, but also usable for other themes. The outfit by fjaa and Soto’s hair also look well-made and versatile

  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 8,157

    The location of the Eastend Vignette is clearly London. The no parking lines are clearly UK based. The architecture is clearly UK based. The traffic sign shapes are clearly UK based. The priority arrows are clearly UK proportions. So why on earth does the traffic priority sign assume drivers are driving on the wrong side of the road? Especially as the cycle lane is on the correct side.

    Regards,

    Richard

  • LeanaLeana Posts: 13,576

    I like the character, he's interesting and seems to mix well with other shapes.

    For once I like all items from the character bundle, they look great and while they fit the theme they can be used in a variety of contexts.

    Add-on bundle is nice too. The neon-colored body hair made me laugh.

  • SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 3,947

    I like https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-the-pit-outfit-for-genesis-9 and its add-on textures well enough to WL... could see using it at some point. 

    The character's nice but no one I need, so on the WL he goes because maybe that'll change (or there will be some sale impressive enough to grab him). 

  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,456
    The Pit outfit is an immediate no for me, it fails in the usual manner. The shirt had no modeled ot textured collar band. There's no top button. The jacket doesn't have a modeled or textured zipper. The pants are modeled like a pair of sweatpants with some jean-like texture details.
  • davesodaveso Posts: 8,317

    I'll just say, why are mens pants always looking like that. 

  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 111,716

    3DIO said:

    I seem to recall the line : "Boy, you really got some guns there, don't you Tommy?"
    (Rocky referring to Tommy Gun's fists).

    Well done, Daz, and a clever way to switch it up (even if the userbase does appear half asleep right now)  :-D
    Nice Rocky hat, too!

    Tommy guns originally date back to the 1920s or so, the Thom[p?]son sub-machine gun stereotypically used by gangsters during prohibition.

  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 6,139

    @daveso - Because they don't have an ironing board and iron?

    Seriously, many of the men I see in real life are running around in pants that look like they pulled them out of the laundry basket. No attempt to hang them up after washing/drying. 

    As a woman who had to keep her militay uniforms in 'inspection order' and later build a dry clean only 'dress for success' wardrobe, I can appreciate a soft pant leg or two. I hate ironing.

  • sidsid Posts: 583

    I like the character. When memberships go on sale again I'll pick him up. It looks like the sculpt and the textures match well. 

  • DareshiranuDareshiranu Posts: 337

    The thing I think is funny is this: 

    30% off Additional “Frankie” New Releases

    Extra 20% off* 3 or more

    But there are only two items available to purchase. At least for me. 

  • LeanaLeana Posts: 13,576

    Dareshiranu said:

    The thing I think is funny is this: 

    30% off Additional “Frankie” New Releases

    Extra 20% off* 3 or more

    But there are only two items available to purchase. At least for me. 

    There are indeed only two "additional" items, but all the Frankie releases also count for the "3 or more" part.

  • Write IdeaWrite Idea Posts: 491
    edited May 22

    Random thought: when I first saw this character, I thought of that the Batman: the Animated Series episode, "Harley's Holiday". I feel like I've seen this character somewhere, but just can't place it.

    The character looks very well designed. I'm glad DAZ broke the mold a little bit. Hopefully it will sell well. 

    TSATC.png
    1098 x 407 - 526K
    Post edited by Write Idea on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 8,317

    memcneil70 said:

    @daveso - Because they don't have an ironing board and iron?

    Seriously, many of the men I see in real life are running around in pants that look like they pulled them out of the laundry basket. No attempt to hang them up after washing/drying. 

    As a woman who had to keep her militay uniforms in 'inspection order' and later build a dry clean only 'dress for success' wardrobe, I can appreciate a soft pant leg or two. I hate ironing.

    i was more thinking of the pants shape..always huge in the thighs, not much style, or detail. I dont iron anything, but the only pants I own are jeans, and jeans just not right with a starch crease.  

  • jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,366

    Leana said:

    Dareshiranu said:

    The thing I think is funny is this: 

    30% off Additional “Frankie” New Releases

    Extra 20% off* 3 or more

    But there are only two items available to purchase. At least for me. 

    There are indeed only two "additional" items, but all the Frankie releases also count for the "3 or more" part.

    But the bundles are only 1 item each. And that's the part that's annoying. There's five newly released assets in each bundle. But that isn't 3 or more "new releases".

  • ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,852

    jmucchiello said:

    Leana said:

    Dareshiranu said:

    The thing I think is funny is this: 

    30% off Additional “Frankie” New Releases

    Extra 20% off* 3 or more

    But there are only two items available to purchase. At least for me. 

    There are indeed only two "additional" items, but all the Frankie releases also count for the "3 or more" part.

    But the bundles are only 1 item each. And that's the part that's annoying. There's five newly released assets in each bundle. But that isn't 3 or more "new releases".

    basicly they are hinting at instead of buying the bundles buying each item as a seperate item to make up the deal which they often do this for awhile now whenever they release a new do bundle I've noticed just some/most times they have few extra items to throw inn choose from

  • jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,366

    ANGELREAPER1972 said:

    jmucchiello said:

    Leana said:

    Dareshiranu said:

    The thing I think is funny is this: 

    30% off Additional “Frankie” New Releases

    Extra 20% off* 3 or more

    But there are only two items available to purchase. At least for me. 

    There are indeed only two "additional" items, but all the Frankie releases also count for the "3 or more" part.

    But the bundles are only 1 item each. And that's the part that's annoying. There's five newly released assets in each bundle. But that isn't 3 or more "new releases".

    basicly they are hinting at instead of buying the bundles buying each item as a seperate item to make up the deal which they often do this for awhile now whenever they release a new do bundle I've noticed just some/most times they have few extra items to throw inn choose from

    Put the individual items in a cart and compare it to the bundle price. 

    Frankie 9 $22.74
    HD AddOn $13.64
    Receding Hair $11.37
    Look Out Outfit $11.37
    Accessorie $10.00

    Is $69.12 vs $45.49 for the bundle. If you want Frankie and two of the other items, the bundle is still cheaper than the 3 items individually.

    They aren't hinting at anything. They are hoping you'll put both bundles in your cart and one of the two external items. If they allowed the bundle to be worth 5 items, the 3 items part of the sale promotion would be meaningless.

    And while that is what I advocated for, the realistic fix I'd hope for would be to have more than just Frankie items count toward the 3 items. But that would mean more 'new releases" that coinide with the bundle releases.

    OR, they could bring back STILL NEW.

  • SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 3,947

    memcneil70 said:

    @daveso - Because they don't have an ironing board and iron?

    Seriously, many of the men I see in real life are running around in pants that look like they pulled them out of the laundry basket. No attempt to hang them up after washing/drying. 

    As a woman who had to keep her militay uniforms in 'inspection order' and later build a dry clean only 'dress for success' wardrobe, I can appreciate a soft pant leg or two. I hate ironing.

    LOL me too.

    Back when I was newly married, I was out shopping with the now-ex-husband, and he asked if he could get a shirt that needed ironing as part of his work wardrobe.

    I told him yeah, sure, I was pretty sure I knew where the iron had gotten buried and could dig it out of the back of the closet for him.

    He gave me a very weird look and put the shirt back.

    It was only at that point I realized he had hadn't intended to be ironing it himself.

    I don't even iron MY clothes, I don't know what made him think I was going to iron HIS. 

  • garrett_3dgarrett_3d Posts: 1,016

    My iron is only ever used for sticking adhesive edging on conti boards laugh

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 27,606
    I iron some of my clothes and some of my husband's, from time to time, mostly shirts.
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 6,139

    When I was a kid, one of the ways I could earn money was to iron cloths and linens. My mom and dad taught me how to do it correctly. It paid off when I was in Basic Training, I traded ironing for shoe polishing with a TX ANG who could polish our shoes like a champ, but couldn't iron at all. Me, I couldn't polish shoes to pass inspections. It worked out great. Today, I have an ironing board and iron that I may be dragging out for working on a quilt top but that is all. 

    @daveso I agree with you. That painted on, bulging thigh, shin look is gross and should only be there for men's tights in ballet, superheroes, or highwire acts. I prefer a properly fitted, draped, pair of pants for my male or female characters. And jeans with a crease, well we use to say that was a poser, not a real ... person. 

  • melaniemelanie Posts: 807
    edited May 25

    As a Premier member, where is my free bonus Fred character? It's not showing up where I usually download the bonus characters.

    Post edited by melanie on
  • SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 3,947

    garrett_3d said:

    My iron is only ever used for sticking adhesive edging on conti boards laugh

    I mostly use mine when I'm doing costuming. Pressing the folds in before running it through the sewing machine makes things easier, and ironing the whole fabric after it comes out of the dryer makes sure it all lines up right for cutting. Teen Kiddo has taken up fuse bead art, so it gets used for that, now, too.

    I think the only piece of clothing I've ironed in the last decade+ has been pressing the pleats into my son's kilt. (I do a "cheater" for him with a waistband and velcro, as doing the traditional pleat-and-belt would be a recipe for disaster.) It looks like a shapeless floof if I don't, so for that I bother with it.

     

  • melanie said:

    As a Premier member, where is my free bonus Fred character? It's not showing up where I usually download the bonus characters.

    Usually they are available within 1-2 days, so I would open a ticket if you haven't yet. Granted, this is a 3 day holiday weekend in the US, but still it should have been available by Friday.

  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,874

    It's an Eastenders vibe alright. Did you know Phil Mitchell can't stand "punks in hoodies"? LMAO

  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,456
    Released two weeks ago and the landing page for DAZ3D was just updated with him as a 'latest character'.
  • butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,810

    3DIO said:

    Post self deleted due to forum ignoring full desktop mode browsing in mobile browser.
    Cannot see or get proper formatting.

     

    AFAICT in mobile you have to write your posts in html. At least, that worked for me on my phone.

  • sidsid Posts: 583
    edited July 3

    Slow to post, but I enjoyed this character. 

     

    Post edited by sid on
  • sidsid Posts: 583
    edited July 3

    Battling the forums... but I'll try attach some pics

    frankiemagic.jpg
    2000 x 2667 - 2M
    frankiecouple.jpg
    2000 x 2667 - 4M
    frankiefish.jpg
    2000 x 2667 - 1M
    frankiecompare.jpg
    2000 x 2667 - 2M
    Post edited by sid on
  • Lance97Lance97 Posts: 40

    very nice male model

Sign In or Register to comment.