RRRR - Murphy’s Law Render Contest *closed*

Comments

• zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited November 2015

hi everyone, been out of sorts for awhile now... just heard the other day that I may never regain the use of my right arm- no images done since last rrrr

been having trouble keeping my usual smile going, sounds like this theme should be right up my alley right now

but, just got to get myself willing to try

i am working hard to come off the morphine because i believe it has really affected me worse than the illness itself, hopefully alternative pain med available

i was actually able to meditate yesterday for first time in several months... yay, good sign

anyhow, everyone keep happy and I will see if I can (edit: I should say how I will) get beyond this... afterall, I did say 'back when' that I would play that 'game of life'

Post edited by zawarkal on
  • GopherusGopherus Posts: 1,103
    edited November 2015

Thanks Totte, Luci and MelanieL for your comments…
    @ Totte  Kawasaki s Law would have been excellent!  
    @totte #01  So true!  if it had been unimportant they would have just dropped it before they went agog!  Good one!

@Luci  The first one was based on the old joke:   How do you know if a blonde has been using your word processor…. by the correction fluid on the monitor.  

@MelanieL  That’s true about men and manuals, nor would I normally ask for directions… It took me 10 years before I discovered VW bugs came with a coat hanger positioned behind the rear seat for folding up suits and keeping them pressed.

@Zawarkal  Keep trying.  With intent you should be able to find a way through.  It may take a while.  Good luck!!  Oh... and ignore the Murphy Philosophy... he was obviously a confirmed pessimist who never stepped outside his front door to experience the real world.

Gopherus Pull #02
    Princely for Fairy Tale Prince M4
    Bashers and Bludgeons
    Tumbleweed the Toon Horse
    Valiant M4

Budget Cutbacks at the Fairy Tale Castle

“Sure do miss the feel of a real horse. These cutbacks are killing me!” The Murphy Philosophy says that you should smile today because tomorrow will always be worse.

budget cuts2.jpg
    750 x 1000 - 733K
    Post edited by Gopherus on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,129

Awesome, Gopherus!!!! I think I spy a winner!

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

Best wishes, Zawarkal.

• GopherusGopherus Posts: 1,103

Thanks Barbult!  They should have made the carribbean princess ride her own horse

Oh, my goodness, zawarkal, what happened (if it is not too rude to ask)? I hope that time heals you, if your current protocol doesn't do the job.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,497
    edited November 2015

zawarkal - that is really bad news, what barbult said!

Post edited by Totte on
  • Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447

Murphy's Law has definitely bitten me on the tookus with this pull!

I looked in my product library for that 'Jessica Dress Sexy Textures' item, wondering when I got it, who it's for, and all that.  (August of this year, Genesis 2 Female, as it happens; as for why I got it..., beats the crap out of me!  It was part of a bundle, and it was on sale, is the best I can come up with.)  The thing is, it's not installed, and that's because, apparently, I never got around to downloading it.

And at the moment, I can't.  Every time I try, I get thrown back to the My Account page.  Is that happening to anybody else?

There was a support ticket on this issue earlier (last month, in fact), and it was suggested that I try downloading using Internet Explorer 11 (I had been using Microsoft Edge, ever since I upgraded to Windows 10; DAZ said they had been encountering several issues with Edge), and that seemed to have cleared it up.  But evidently not, because it's happening again, and with IE11, to boot.

I can download all day long using my dad's provider, and that's the only variable I can think of right now.  He's on a land line, and I'm out here, twelve miles from nowhere, forced to use a cellular router for my internet service.  But why is only the DAZ site giving me fits like this?

I looked in my product library for that 'Jessica Dress Sexy Textures' item, wondering when I got it, who it's for, and all that.  (August of this year, Genesis 2 Female, as it happens; as for why I got it..., beats the crap out of me!  It was part of a bundle, and it was on sale, is the best I can come up with.)  The thing is, it's not installed, and that's because, apparently, I never got around to downloading it.

And at the moment, I can't.  Every time I try, I get thrown back to the My Account page.  Is that happening to anybody else?

There was a support ticket on this issue earlier (last month, in fact), and it was suggested that I try downloading using Internet Explorer 11 (I had been using Microsoft Edge, ever since I upgraded to Windows 10; DAZ said they had been encountering several issues with Edge), and that seemed to have cleared it up.  But evidently not, because it's happening again, and with IE11, to boot.

I can download all day long using my dad's provider, and that's the only variable I can think of right now.  He's on a land line, and I'm out here, twelve miles from nowhere, forced to use a cellular router for my internet service.  But why is only the DAZ site giving me fits like this?

You can repull that one, but as you say, the next item you pull will be even worse. I think you forgot to send some martini to Murphy.

edited November 2015
    Totte said:

You can repull that one, but as you say, the next item you pull will be even worse. I think you forgot to send some martini to Murphy.

As they say on TV, "But wait!  There's more!"

That 'Guardian for Genesis 2 Female' that I also pulled?  I never downloaded that one, either!  And guess what: it gets even more bizarre -- both items were on the same order!

Seriously, what are the odds!?

Post edited by Ken OBanion on

That Martini Ken, again!

• Totte said:

That 'Guardian for Genesis 2 Female' that I also pulled?  I never downloaded that one, either!  And guess what: it gets even more bizarre -- both items were on the same order!

Actually, not downloading a whole order is easier to understand than not downloading items from two separate orders. I did that once. I've not seen any threads on issues with the Product Library geneally.

Totte said:

Actually, not downloading a whole order is easier to understand than not downloading items from two separate orders. I did that once. I've not seen any threads on issues with the Product Library geneally.

But this was a really big order!  A dozen line items, and no less than seven bundles!  (Maybe that's why I never got around to downloading it; it would have taken three days!)

Actually, I was referring to the fact that I 'randomly' pulled two items that happened to have been purchased in the same order.  And with the tons of crap that I have...!  Really what are the odds of that!?

Oh, by the way, I was finally able to get everything downloaded (well, everything I need for this render, at least) -- through sheer persistence, or maybe it was just slug-brained, thick-headed stubbornness -- and I'm finally back on track.  I'm doing a test render, even as I write this.

I'm just curious as to what else I've purchased over the years, and simply forgot to download.  Ah, well, that's what the RRRR is for: to help you find out what-all you have, as well as what you don't!  (Or that you only think you have!)

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,654
    zawarkal said:

hi everyone, been out of sorts for awhile now... just heard the other day that I may never regain the use of my right arm- no images done since last rrrr

been having trouble keeping my usual smile going, sounds like this theme should be right up my alley right now

i am working hard to come off the morphine because i believe it has really affected me worse than the illness itself, hopefully alternative pain med available

i was actually able to meditate yesterday for first time in several months... yay, good sign

anyhow, everyone keep happy and I will see if I can (edit: I should say how I will) get beyond this... afterall, I did say 'back when' that I would play that 'game of life'

Hi, zawarkal. I was thinking about you this morning, wondering how you are doing. I am sorry about the arm and hope you find a way to deal with it. This "game of life" does throw some cr** at us sometimes. 

edited November 2015

tag:luci45 #2
    Triatholon
    Murphy's Technology Law #23.5
    The most perfect piece of robotic engineering can be destroyed by a damn fool.

Jeff challenged the elves, who liked to brag about their magic birds, to a triatholon between one of their prize cormorants and his shiny new robospider. The spider performed well until the swimming challenge...

Used:

V3 High Fantasy Character & Clothes Bundle 
    Tangien Portico 
    Secluded Rendezvous
    Double-crested Cormorant
    RoboSpider (LB)
    Pred Pack - Olive Trees (LB) 
    Flinks Sky Stars (LB)
    Saloon At Trails End (LB)
    DLD Stone Shaders for DAZ Studio (LB)*

*Note: rendered mostly in Iray. I was almost done putting the scene together when I discovered that the DLD  Stone Shader was not the one I thought it was - it only works in 3Delight, has no textures of it's own I could bring into Iray. So the bricks in the foreground (with DLD  Stone Shader) were rendered on a separate layer in 3Delight. 

Also Used:
    Streetwear Fashion
    Dark Thorn
    Wear Them All - Autofitting Clones and Clothing Smoothers for Genesis 3 Male(s)
    Urban Wear Hat
    CoreySpikes Hairstyle
    Michael 7
    G3M Head Morphs
    G3M Body Morphs
    Belle Arum Hair
    Smartphone and Tablet
    SPEX for Genesis
    Elven Warrior for Genesis 2 Male(s)
    Royal Elf for Genesis
    Prep Gear
    Gia Hair
    Kevan Hair
    Leather Jacket for Genesis
    Liquid Pack

Triatholan.jpg
    1900 x 1175 - 644K
    Post edited by luci45 on
    edited November 2015

Luci, that is -- once again -- simply awesome!

Every time I see one of your amazing renders, I ask myself, "What is she on, and where can I get some?"

Post edited by Ken OBanion on

Luci, that is -- once again -- simply awesome!

Every time I see one of your amazing renders, I ask myself, "What is she on, and where can I get some?"

Thanks, Ken! That is high praise!

I too much appreciate the wonders of abusing sustances so I leave them alone. I get high from making pictures sometimes, and, at the least, DAZ and Iray keep depression away. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    Gopherus said:

Thanks Totte, Luci and MelanieL for your comments…
    @ Totte  Kawasaki s Law would have been excellent!  
    @totte #01  So true!  if it had been unimportant they would have just dropped it before they went agog!  Good one!

@Luci  The first one was based on the old joke:   How do you know if a blonde has been using your word processor…. by the correction fluid on the monitor.  

@MelanieL  That’s true about men and manuals, nor would I normally ask for directions… It took me 10 years before I discovered VW bugs came with a coat hanger positioned behind the rear seat for folding up suits and keeping them pressed.

@Zawarkal  Keep trying.  With intent you should be able to find a way through.  It may take a while.  Good luck!!  Oh... and ignore the Murphy Philosophy... he was obviously a confirmed pessimist who never stepped outside his front door to experience the real world.

Gopherus Pull #02
    Princely for Fairy Tale Prince M4
    Bashers and Bludgeons
    Tumbleweed the Toon Horse
    Valiant M4

Budget Cutbacks at the Fairy Tale Castle

“Sure do miss the feel of a real horse. These cutbacks are killing me!” The Murphy Philosophy says that you should smile today because tomorrow will always be worse.

...look on the bright side, they could be using coconut shells.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560

...well have a bunch of new stuff but unable to DL and instal it as the workstation is still offline. Need to get a switch to connect from the existing ethernet lead to the workstation as the cable is about a metre too short. I have plenty of cables, but sadly they only make them all with male connectors on both ends  To get a female/female junction connector means shelling out at least 10$ for what effectively is a bloody half inch long piece of plastic. 5$ or so more would get a 4 channel switch and I could have both the notebook and the workstation on a hardwire connection.

Why no one thought about making a cable with a female connector on one end is beyond me.

Guess that's Murphy's Law in RL.

edited November 2015

Tag: Totte #2 

Totte said:

#3786 November Textures for Autumn (#17768) Outfit texture
    #695 Cafe Day & Night (Rendo) prop building
    #456 Bandstand (#11510) prop building
    #6371 Zombie Bundle (#23239) {
        Soulless Outfit for Genesis 3 Female(s) #23095 Outfit
        Zombie Run Poses #23213    Poses
        Valoria for Arabella 7 #23233 Character morph and skins
    }

LB1: #1010 Colors for Meg Hair    (#13760) hair color
    LB2: #3839 Old Forge  (#5779) - Prop buidling
    LB3: #39 20 Easter Eggs (#4166) Props

Also Used:
    Exemplar for Bandstand
    Streets of London (some buildings)
    Lighting Collection (street light)
    V6 + Autumn For Genesis 2 Females + Ciao Bella (shoes) + Coleraine Hair + Survivor Poses
    Mane Hair + Chace Hair
    Genesis + Genesis Zombie + MrHyde (Pants) / The Ghoul (clothes) / Short order cook + B Movie Cook
    V5 + B25Bunny + + Meg Hair + Hatching Egg + ART Easter + Mall Girl (boots) 

Used Shaders:
    PC Metal
    IRender Architecture
    EcVh0 Daily Cloth Shaders
    Iray Real Light
    DS Default Uber Iray Shaders

Murphy’s law for apocalypse survival.

You don’t have to outrun the Zombies, you just have to outrun the Easter Bunny

survivial_bunny.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 348K
    Post edited by Totte on
  • purrkatpurrkat Posts: 134

Tis the season - where real life takes over...

Gopherus - Your off to a strong start! Love "Budget cutbacks at the Fairy Tale Castle"!

Luci45 - Amazing as usual. Although, it looks like Totte is determined and hot on your trail.

Tag: purrkat #1

Barbarian Warlord for Genesis

Dragon Rage

Back to Class school props

The Time Traveler

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,131
    edited November 2015

Just passing by while my other machine runs a few installs:

@Gopherus #2 - oh I love that! The king looks very disgruntled and somehow a stick just isn't the same as a nice shiny sword. And I especially like the implication that the cutback is so severe that they could only afford fake donkeys for the followers!
    @luci45 #2 - what a beauty! But what a palavar - it's going to be an increasing problem with contests like RRRR to get a mix of things that work best (or only) in Iray and things that only work in 3Delight.
    @Totte #2 - you really have it in for that Easter Bunny (I think I've seen her come to a sticky end in your work before?) And as for Murphy's Law - well, it looks like the faster sprinter will miss out on her chocolate Easter eggs.
    @purrkat #1 - am I missing something here?!? EDIT: Ah, I guess this is your pull not your entry, silly me!

PS: @Zawarkal - so sorry to hear about your arm - I do hope very much they are wrong.

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    edited November 2015
    Linwelly said:

Finally RRRR time again

And already some great ideas in, it's gonna be fun again

here is my first pull

Rag-Erator for DAZ Studio
    Cista Sanctus DS
    Victoria 4 Skin Maps Std Res
    Wretched for Spirit of Punk DS

I guess this something to work with for Murphy's law

Title: Not a tunnel
    Law of the many Laws: The shortest way from point A to B is by GPS

He: It's not my fault, the gps navigation system said it's a tunnel
    She: When was the last update....
    He: Update, there are updates?

additonally used:

Steam from the Steamworks

curtains from the curiaous Hallway

Stairways from Divinity skies Rapture II, heavily d´-formed

Vampire huntress for g2f

Urban metro outfit for g2m

pants from Nightguard for g2m

goggles from X-tech

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/3e/9ce8950ddacecfd2dfe36e53da965c.jpg

Not-a-Tunnel.jpg
    1600 x 864 - 1M
    Post edited by Linwelly on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,131

OK I've got enough content installed to risk a pull:

2956 = FWSI Marie HD for Monique 6 (21108)
    3182 = Super Shaders - Mesh Magic (21863)
    2850 = Royal Highness (10037)
    3200 = Collective3d Portrait Vignettes Contemporary 2 (21208)

(And I'm amazed to find that there's actually some fairly recent stuff in there)

@Linwelly #1 - nice render! (Another man who didn't read the manual)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Sending you best wishes.

Be well.

zawarkal said:

Welcome, Will!
    Thank you, MelanieL, Ken, purrkat
    Gopherus #2  - I agree with Barbult - I love this one!
    Totte #2 - OMG, wicked! I think the LBs are getting too you!
    Linwelly #1 Hehe, very nice!

Pull #3
    Moni Hair (RDNA)
    Predatron Geraniums
    Living Room Collection
    DAZ Seal 
    Improvised Benches Construction Kit (LB) 
    Magic for Carnival Entrance (LB) 
    The New Queen of Drama (LB) 
    Nalfar for M4 (LB) (Rendo)
    Historical Masonry DAZ Studio Shaders Vol 1 (LB)

• zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018

thank you all for the well wishes

actually I am in stage 4 breast cancer... it has gone into the lungs and bones... the arm is lymphedema

other than the cancer itself, all my tests come back as if I am in excellent health... so if there is something to be beat I still have high hopes to make it to the other side

the best news of all came yesterday... my disability starts this week and it was so much more than I could have hoped for... celebrating christmas this year :)

Oh, zawarkal, what a trying time you are going through! Thanks for sharing the information with us, but I'm so sad to hear that it is something so tough to deal with. My thoughts are with you and all my best wishes for good doctors and good outcome. I hope your overall good health helps you beat down that cancer. I'm glad to hear you got a bit of good news with the disability compensation to help you out as you struggle with it. Keep in touch and participate as you are able. We so enjoy your entries. They are thought provoking in a unique way.

• Murphy's Auto Law: No matter the length of warranty coverage, on the day that the warranty expires the car will break down

Corollary: Just as you're about to leave for vacation, the car will break down.

15314-1 Mall Girl For Genesis
    13032-2 Alexios Hair
    16263-01 Mecha Bay
    17687-01 Killian for M6

Warranty.png
    1069 x 998 - 2M
  • KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    edited November 2015

Trying very hard to be back in Dazville.  I think I might actually get a few renders in this time.  Life has been crazy, crazy, crazy!  Wedding in Orlando.  Reception in Milwaukee.  Sudden cardiac arrest of my dad -- and before the sympathy starts, I should interject the fact that he is actually 100% fine, despite having coded both at home and several times in the hospital.  No damage to heart or brain.  It was miraculous and I'm extremely grateful. But it has been a VERY bizarre, stressful, but ultimately good month or so. 

Totte, put me down for my regular $20 GC.

Pull #1 (Ha -- by ignoring a month, I lost my LB!):

530       Apocalypse Ally (ironman13), RR
    8778     Steam Blade Wings (Wolfie), RR
    7273     Racing Snail (Predatron), DAZ
    3845    Genesis 2 Male Genitalia (Daz Originals), DAZ  LOL!!  I'm crossing this one out and re-pulling because I'm pretty sure that ANYTHING I do with that product will violate the TOS.  Time to remove those from the list!  (This is what I get for using the DIM's csv files to compile my product list!!)
    1726     Copper and Blood (coflek-gnorg), RR

Wow, now THAT is one heck of a pull...

RRRR1.jpg
    2000 x 1512 - 550K
    Post edited by Karibou on