barbult's take on the lives of Jack and Richard

1…1718202223…31

Comments

  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 6,102

    barbult said:

    Keeping Richard in check would definitely be a full time job. I don't think it is even possible.

     True, and he'd look better in stripes, anyway ... cheeky

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 27,607

    SimonJM said:

    barbult said:

    Keeping Richard in check would definitely be a full time job. I don't think it is even possible.

     True, and he'd look better in stripes, anyway ... cheeky

    He has built-in stripes in his fur. Perhaps we are coming to realization about why that is. 

  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 111,721

    3DIO said:

    @barbult
    I reckon The Carrot (or someone working on his behalf) was comissioned to take a photo that could be considered compromising.  This was then nefariously sold to some French manufacturer (the French aspect given away by the term  "HASELTINE  Eau de Toilette 150mL"  being used on the billboard posters).  No way would that term ever be used on a very British product like "Haseltine", for which one would assume the term  "HASELTINE  Aftershave for Men 150mL"  would have been used instead.

    I hope you are not suggesting I would give any degree of approval to a product associated with the removal of whiskers.

    I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the Eiffel Tower in the background at some point in the future, put it that way.  So there's something iffy there for a start.  The photo of course is perfectly innocent.  I reckon Richard, after a hard day on the forum, was simply unwinding on his rocking horse, while Lola looked on from the comfort of the sofa, relaxing after another hard day keeping him in check!

    So nah, I'm just not falling for it.  I reckon the bloke with poor eyesight is really just a decoy being used to take our attention away from the real villain (The Carrot)  :-D

     

  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 111,721

    barbult said:

    SimonJM said:

    barbult said:

    Keeping Richard in check would definitely be a full time job. I don't think it is even possible.

     True, and he'd look better in stripes, anyway ... cheeky

    He has built-in stripes in his fur. Perhaps we are coming to realization about why that is. 

    I moonlight as a French onion-seller? 

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 27,607

    Richard Haseltine said:

    barbult said:

    SimonJM said:

    barbult said:

    Keeping Richard in check would definitely be a full time job. I don't think it is even possible.

     True, and he'd look better in stripes, anyway ... cheeky

    He has built-in stripes in his fur. Perhaps we are coming to realization about why that is. 

    I moonlight as a French onion-seller? 

    Like most of your cultural references, i had no clue about this.  I had to do a search again. I marvel at how you know so much stuff that I am clueless about. I must contemplate a new render now. 

  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 111,721

    barbult said:

    Richard Haseltine said:

    barbult said:

    SimonJM said:

    barbult said:

    Keeping Richard in check would definitely be a full time job. I don't think it is even possible.

     True, and he'd look better in stripes, anyway ... cheeky

    He has built-in stripes in his fur. Perhaps we are coming to realization about why that is. 

    I moonlight as a French onion-seller? 

    Like most of your cultural references, i had no clue about this.  I had to do a search again. I marvel at how you know so much stuff that I am clueless about. I must contemplate a new render now. 

    Well, I am old enough (just) that it used to be a thing in the UK - I think we did, when I was very young, have one ring the doorbell (no idea if any onions were purchased)

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 27,607
    edited May 7

    The Onions Are Ripe

    Richard Haseltine: Lola, look! The onions are ready. I need to find my Breton sweater and get ready to sell.

    Onion plants_001_Camera 1.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 6,102

    barbult said:

    The Onions Are Ripe

    Richard Haseltine: Lola, look! The onions are ready. I need to find my Breton sweater and get ready to sell.

    Don'r forget the black beret! 

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 27,607
    edited May 7

    Will You Buy My Onions?

    Richard bikes around with a load of onions, looking for buyers.
    (Do you know how long it takes to get Richard dressed and on that little bike? Hours! I don't have the cat posing skills of Other-Richard.)

    Richard Haseltine Breton Sweater_005_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 27,607

    SimonJM said:

    Don'r forget the black beret! 

    yes 

  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 8,159
    edited May 7

    Hmm The vengeful carrot or one of his relatives is travelling again. And will Richard get distracted by the mices?

    You've done an incredible job there, Barbult, with getting the clothing to work with the cat. Amazing.

    Regards,

    Richard.

     

    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • cosmosmcosmosm Posts: 106

    I imagine it might take a while to get a cat into that outfit!

    That is a really cute picture, though maybe with a *little* bit of menace.

  • backgroundbackground Posts: 940
    edited May 7

    I see he's making good use of the tail-rest. I think I see him wobbling a bit though ( even if he is an excellent cyclist ). Maybe his load of onions has unexpectedly shifted.

    Post edited by background on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,878

    Oh I love your "Richard the Onion Seller"!

  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 111,721

    That really is packed with stuff, though I am a little bit concerend about some of the details....

  • LeanaLeana Posts: 13,576

    "Onion Johnny" Richard is great!

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 27,607
    Evil Carrot's friend Evil Onion is along for the ride.
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 111,721

    barbult said:

    Evil Carrot's friend Evil Onion is along for the ride.

    Maybe it is trying to mend evil fences? Be an evil diplomat.

  • backgroundbackground Posts: 940

    With an evil onion involved it will all end in tears.

  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 111,721

    At least if the shirt gets torn barbult won't have to fit it again.

  • backgroundbackground Posts: 940
    edited May 7

    It's a great Image, it could easily have come from a children's story  book. I think it was time well spent.

    Post edited by background on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 27,607
    edited May 7

    The clothes are a rework of his cowboy pajamas. The pose really stretched the shirt in difficult ways. I needed to add some corrective morphs, but I couldn't remember how to link up a clothing CBS to a figure bone rotation. In the end I just dialed my morphs by hand. Maybe body paint via geoshell would have been an alternative idea to investigate, but I was all in on the clothing fitting.

    Edit: In the light of day, I realized what I was doing wrong with my CBS ERC Freeze. I was freezing from the clothes, not from the rotated Richard bone. So now I have it working.

    Post edited by barbult on
  • backgroundbackground Posts: 940
    edited May 7

    The stripes look great, a pattern like that is often  very distorted once you start stretching and morphing clothing. It would be great if there was some utility available for Studio that could relax UV's ( not moving vertices, but instead changing the UV coordinates of the mesh to compensate for the difference between the initial mesh shape, and the current mesh shape, to keep the relative sizes of pixels across the mesh consistent ( if it worked it would correct the texture distortion on large vs small breasts, for example).) I've done it in external programs with mixed results. The edges of each UV island have to stay fixed, but the UV coordinates within an island can move to even themselves out. I can see it in my minds eye, but turning it into words is difficult.

    Post edited by background on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 27,607
    I made those clothes for Richard in Marvelous Designer for the posse story. That was a many hours struggle at that time, too. Richard and his adventures are worth it, topped off by everyone's encouraging comments. Thanks.
  • Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 2,779

    Yes, barbult, that is indeed excellent and entertaining work.

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 27,607

    3DIO said:

    background said:

    It's a great Image, it could easily have come from a children's story  book. I think it was time well spent.

     Totally agree.  I think Barbult would make a great 'Childrens Book Illustrator' and 'Storyteller'.

     

    There is Curious George. I could have Reckless Richard. I like alliteration, and he does seem to throw caution to the wind. 

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 27,607

    Yes, I think I'll work on a Reckless Richard render.

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 27,607
    edited May 8

    OOF!

    That little bike was still too big for Richard. Once the pedals reached the neutral point in the stroke, Richard had no more leg length to pedal. The onion sack was way too big to balance on the little front basket. The sack leaned against the handlebars and as soon as Richard tried to steer, everything, including Richard, tumbled to the ground. His black beret went flying. Onions rolled all over the place. Only Evil Onion stayed within reach. Mice came from all directions to gather onions for dinner. But there were no tears. Richard is not a cry baby. He will face his next adventure with as much confidence, bravado, and recklessness as ever. 

    (Thanks again to Other-Richard for the useful flat cat pose used here.)

    Reckless Richard - OOF

    Reckless Richard - OOF.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 6,102

    barbult said:

    SimonJM said:

    Don'r forget the black beret! 

    yes 

    You know your onions! (is that an expression in use in the US?) 

  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 6,102

    background said:

    With an evil onion involved it will all end in tears.

    LOL! 

Sign In or Register to comment.