Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.9.0.24!

Comments

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    Blantyr said:

Just tried to open up the DS Beta.  Could not establish a connection with the server.  I was unable to access smart content.  If this is going to be par for the course...  ugly.

I've had that issue a couple of times, including about 2 minutes ago. Reopening the client always fixed it for me.

I'm still unable to create any Categories via any methods that involve creating a folder for multiple items (such as create category from folder/subfolders, or from products.) 

Iray - photoreal vs interactive. See images attached.

I've never been able to activate interactive before, so I don't know if this is normal. All settings are on default, default environ lighting, only thing adjusted was render mode from photoreal to interactive.

Fixes made to the implementation of Sub Surface Scattering (SSS) in the NVIDIA Iray renderer affect materials which have "Translucency Weight" active—not set to 0. This manifests in skin tones appearing more blue than they do in 4.8. A quick adjustment that can be made during the BETA phase is to adjust the "SSS Reflectance Tint" from a light blue to a light yellow—R: 1.00, G: 0.88, B: 0.67. Adjust this value to your liking.

I've read this but I don't know if it applies - and if it does, why is it only changing one, not the other? Or is this just what interactive is supposed to look like all the time?

irayreal.PNG
    780 x 736 - 248K
    irayinteractive-help-me-i-am-a-zombie.PNG
    766 x 595 - 195K
    edited November 2015

Sorry for the triple post but can't add images during edit.

I've added 3DL renders of her with her Iray and 3DL mats which showed up something weird. Never seen it before. Again using default mats etc. no settings changed. The maps all appear to be in their correct places in the surfaces tab for a typical Iray setup.

Tried reloading, same thing. Tried loading Victoria 7, same thing again. Only the face renders when you use Iray default mats in 3DL, then interactive gives you the zombie but photoreal is redder. Arabella does the same thing. Don't have any other Gen3 Daz default characters to test with.

I don't seem to own any Gen2 characters that come with Iray mats, so I tested with G2F and her Daz supplied Iray conversation, and that worked perfectly with both renderers.

Moved onto third party characters, and tested FWSA Jade HD for Josie 7. This one screws up too, but the Iray Mats in 3DL render gave a different result (image 3.) in Iray renderer she has the same photoreal perfectly fine, interactive would-eat-vampire-arabella-for-breakfast look.

Is this all from that SSS change to Iray? The last one almost looks like a UV map issue, but then no issue shows in texture draw mode, or her oddly coloured Iray renders. Her 3DL mats fit and render fine.

Not sure if you need any other information or if I just did something incredibly wrong, but I'm using an install of the beta downloaded today, win 10, nvidia 580gtx classified.

Edit: Just tested in 4.8, same figures, same database, both renderers render both sets of mats perfectly fine.

Edit edit: changing the sss tint from light blue to light orange fixes the interactive iray render, but then breaks the photoreal one by making that too red. 3dl renders of the same iray mats adjusted still only renders the face and nothing else. Still only happening on G3 figures so far as I can tell.

josie-what-are-you-doing-IRAY-IN-3DL.jpg
    875 x 915 - 72K
    josie-why-are-you-a-lobster-3DL-3DL.jpg
    875 x 915 - 74K
    fwsa-jade-hd-3dl-iray-circus.jpg
    875 x 915 - 41K
    Post edited by lx_2807502 on
  • a-sennova-sennov Posts: 331

Are your graphics drivers up-to-date?

Latest. The same scene renders in 4.8 just fine.

• FetitoFetito Posts: 481

So If selet a Genesis 2 figure such as Gianni 6, it should also show all the corresponding content such as poses and clothes.

So far it only contains the basic poses and not the poses that could work on Gianni 6

Is there a fix on this? I mean, Genesis 2 stuff should cause no trouble when it's listed.

PD: ADMIN replespond to this ticket, plase. :)

• So If selet a Genesis 2 figure such as Gianni 6, it should also show all the corresponding content such as poses and clothes.

So far it only contains the basic poses and not the poses that could work on Gianni 6

Is there a fix on this? I mean, Genesis 2 stuff should cause no trouble when it's listed.

PD: ADMIN replespond to this ticket, plase. :)

The metadata is in the process of being updated, and each week more are being released.

• a-sennov said:

Still becoming irresponsive and crashing in Iray render:

A TDR has been detected.

The application must be closed.

I had this with another program. There is a relatively easy fix:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/503962/tdr-fix-here-for-nvidia-driver-crashing-randomly-in-firefox/

Mind you that depending on what you render, you may need to increase those values into hundreds.

Mind you that depending on what you render, you may need to increase those values into hundreds.

Thanks, but this doesn't help - it just crashes after the said amount of time :). Well, I didn't try hundreds, thought that one minute (60) would be enough, maybe it worth to try again. Still, I think this is a bug as Studio is completely frozen when this happens (other programs are OK).

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Fixmypcmike said:

nicstt said:
    nicstt said:

Cool a new one to try.

Agreed. and I think my first thing to look at is that ram thing. I'm being hopeful that it is nothing more then debugging stuff causing that.

I have my issues with what is happening, but it would be unfair of me I feel to not at least try it; although the amount of time needed to spend organising content is horrendous.

What would be cool, is a method to share our custom-sorted databases with each other - as long as it could ignore products we don't own, until we do.

If you Export User Data someone else could import those .dsx files, any files they don't have are ignored.

If your current organization is based on files & folders, you can create categories mimicking that structure.

I don't want to export - I'm trying to organise something. And I haven't the time - or tbh - the inclination to spend so much effort on a database; I like what I did with my own organising.

I was just thinging some pre-designed organised setups might be a big help to others.

I'm in the process of creating a relational database for a local charity; this we're being asked to do is what my database is supposed to help them avoid; or so it feels like. So anything that makes doing the grunt work easier is a plus, and it might then be easier to then customer these 'templates', which sadly don't currently exist.

SpottedKitty said:

I see a good few mentions of the new built-in shop. How does it compare with the old Poser direct Content Paradise link? I seem to remember no-one had a good word to say about that. What's different now?

Incidentally, I'll never use the built-in shop, for many of the same reasons I never bothered with CP when I still used Poser.

And I just noticed the bit in Ix's post about the shop bypassing multiple-purchase offers, only allowing to buy one thing at a time. My considered opinion of this — a pile of dingo's kidneys. If I want to buy something from the DAZ store, I'll do it the way it should be done, by going online with my browser.

I'm not interested in the shop, or being able to launch it from Daz; I make art (or try to) in Daz; I use a web browser I mostly trust to block the unwanted crap; being able to permanently disable it would be great.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

Ok, now I launch new ds 4.9. but without connection.  (keep off line mode). then ds not try migrate data base. To be flankly said, It was anticlimactic. But about current beta, I needed manually set Daz studio and Poser Directory in directory manager  again. 

After that all product and files return.  both smart content and content library. at current (no daz connect item), I can serch not only by category,but file directory (you customized) as same as before.

I think user who try this beta but not hope to try DAZ connect "at current "simply keep "Off line" mode.  then CMS keep as same as before I think.

Now I check mylibrary/data , but with Off line mode, DS just make empty " cloud directory" in My library, but no file migrated cheeky he he.!

I do not check postgre  database, but  with off line mode, database seems keep all meta-data as same as before.  is it right?  

because I can check my- original category, and my user product meta-data  for install free A3 items,  V4 items, as same as

user-data (not grouped as product)  in Smart content, and content library. And all items can be shown in content library as file path. 

And now I check my product meta-data, and my category, it seems work (of course I never touch DAZ connect, then it seems not migrate)

I really feel, daz need to learn how to announce their aprication and beta.  DAZ seems concentrate introduce DAZ connect usage, and how to,

but  DAZ  do not tell us clear, we can use beta , as same as current ds 4.8.   see FAQ of DAZ connect, and beta,

Important Notes:

Content Database / Metadata related

• The first time you launch Daz Studio 4.9, any data that exists in the content database is migrated so that it can be used in Daz Studio 4.9.
    • The amount of time the database migration operation takes is proportional to the amount of data to be migrated.

it said as if, once I launch this beta, all data auto migration satrt. but actually it do  not happen,

if I do not confrim to connect DAZ, and keep "off line mode". .why  DAZ can not tell these things more clear at first ?    indecision

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511

is there a way to disable the store completely?

edited November 2015

@Larsmidnatt When you first launch ds 4.9 beta, it may pop up window, then I afraid many guys may input and connect DAZ without clear knowing what will happen, I feel. it may cause problem, if they do not know clear, smart content etc. But if you do not connect, (check off line mode), then click next, (sorry I can not check it any more, because I set the window never visible^^;) You may never see store etc, I think. you already usd DAZ connect? about that case, I do not know, because I have no plan test DAZ connect with beta. And in smart content, I find "log-in" etc, But never touch it. then I can not see any store^^ About smart content product view, it seems no change. I can go product page, or I can go read me by net prouzer only. Yes I know, after all when I use DIM, I must connect DAZ, and confirm with PW , ID. but at least, I do not connect DAZ only without I  really need it.

I never hope, aprication say me "hey kit!" now there seems  good item for your scene! your actor must hope to  get them !!! etc..  I can serch itemas what I need  by my self  no need auto adviser  help. (though I sometimes ask forum about product, and enjoy daz web shopping often.  )

DAZ connect.PNG
    567 x 769 - 172K
    Post edited by kitakoredaz on

is there a way to disable the store completely?

Minimise the shop tab (or change it to Info, or... Tips?) I've been assured that the shop is completely inactive when minimised. Testing has suggested that this is the case.  

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511

@kitakoredaz and @lx thnaks

• lx said:
    Smart Content:

I've been trying to use only Smart Content for a bit and the lack of generation separation is just so confusing.

e.g. I installed Arabella 7 as a test, then wanted to grab a single hair to test, but ALL of them appear in the library. I get that autofit exists but I'd like to know what was actually designed for that generation.

Did you have the Filter by contest option unchecked? It should be showing only the content natively compatible with the selected item when it is.

edited November 2015

this beta smart contents, "Filter by context" means "show only items with compatibility"  I think.

I do not like change word without clear reason just feeling.  but actually DAZ often change word about same meaninig.

then it will simply confuse user when try to add context = set compatibility with in Content DB editor.

if daz push smart content for user, who did not like it,

more care thise word usage.  it is service for usability. indecision

connect3.PNG
    554 x 629 - 346K
    lx said:
    Smart Content:

I've been trying to use only Smart Content for a bit and the lack of generation separation is just so confusing.

e.g. I installed Arabella 7 as a test, then wanted to grab a single hair to test, but ALL of them appear in the library. I get that autofit exists but I'd like to know what was actually designed for that generation.

Did you have the Filter by contest option unchecked? It should be showing only the content natively compatible with the selected item when it is.

I'm not sure about earlier, but it was already checked when I looked at it just now. I now have all my content installed, but I tested again anyway. Now only the gen3 hairs I own show up. to be honest, I hope Smart Content works out for whoever, but I don't enjoy using it at all. I'd much rather the bugs with Categories be fixed so that I can arrange all of my content the way I want to.

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,303
    edited November 2015

Thank you for the updated beta release.

Currently my most required feature is:

Ability to HIDE individual not installed available products in the Smart Content tab.

Compare Screenshot:

When right clicking one of the products in the "ALL" or "AVAILABLE" tab the option "Hide Product" could be displayed.

Next to the checkmark "Filter by context" a checkmark "Show Hidden" could be added.

Side Note:

In the DIM I made regular use of the option to "hide" content that I most likely never ever again am going to install.

Examples: Hide Gen4 characters and items that do not work well with autofit. Hide content with no or outdated metadata categories.

Being able to hide products in the Smart Content tab could replicate that workflow.

This also means that the user does not waste time by having to look at the same items twice when browsing available products in the Smart Content Tab.

Example:

If the user makes a search and looks at a lot of items he can then hide those available products he does not like and the next time he makes a similar search he does not waste time by looking at the same items again.

The more content users have purchased the more important it becomes to hide "old" or "unwanted" products.

Example:

Based on my last workstation setup I am probably only going to install a small selection of 1'000 products out of 5'000+. 2'000 will be left in available and it would help if I could "hide" the remaining "2000".

The benefit of leaving some items in the "available" category is that the user still can make a destinction between items that are allways installed and some products that may be of use at a later time but should not use up HD space.

To summarize:

Installed: The core products that the user wants to work with all the time

Available: Products that may be of use later but should not use HD space at the moment

Available HIDDEN: Old and unwanted products that are not anymore going to be used

Additional Filters:

Next to the checkmark "Filter by Context" would be a great place to add additional filters like

- show only DAZ Originals on / off

- show only Generation 3 items on / off

- show only Generation 2 items on / off etc.

In an advanced version the user could also add custom filters based on "Categories" the user created.

- show only "user category" on / off

Example:

The user places all his favorite items into a custom category "my favorites".

Just browsing the category "my favorites" is not going to be of much use because many different items are tossed together.

Nevertheless when the user category "favorites" is toggled on as a filter in the whole Smart Content Tab all items that are not marked as favorites are hidden.

The benefit is that the user can still use all the default categories like people, wardrobe, environments etc to narrow down which favorites he is looking for.

The ability to filter based on custom "categories" would offer the possibility to make Boolean Searching operations by filtering for multiple categories at the same time while still showing all the available default categories.

To phrase this differently:

Instead of showing just items that fall into one category "filters" would make it possible to show items that fall into several different categories while hiding all those items that do not fall into the select "filter" categories.

right click HIDE Product v1004.jpg
    Post edited by linvanchene on
    edited November 2015

I found un-deletable icon in smart content . (or Smart content just keep show files icon  which was deleted by content library, from file directory)  in Smart Content, about my customized light set (scene subset). 

And I tried remove orhpan file from Content DB maintenance, but it can not be delete it  anymore.

I now compare, DS 4.8 and DS 4.9 beta, then check same file. DS 4.8 cause no problem. it never show the deleted file.

But  DS 4.9 beta keep showing the deleted file (but actually it can not work, when I try to load the set) (because there is no such file in the directory any more.) and there seems no way to delete the icon.

I felt it must be concerend about DAZ connect and new Smart content way.sad

About this rig light set, I just use ds prop and default camera, then manually set rigs by joint editor.

then set files as subset, and figure, then categorize etc.  it is perfect original user file.

I really doubt,  DAZ can remove these bugs untill you release product ver of ds 4.9? 

withotu it not only about Porduct which I bought from DAZ but user saved edit files may cause many problem about smart content.

betatest.PNG
    1004 x 738 - 133K
    betatest2.PNG
    1122 x 800 - 198K
    betatest3.PNG
    1040 x 839 - 255K
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I found un-deletable icon in smart content . (or Smart content just keep show files icon  which was deleted by content library, from file directory)  in Smart Content, about my customized light set (scene subset). 

And I tried remove orhpan file from Content DB maintenance, but it can not be delete it  anymore.

I now compare, DS 4.8 and DS 4.9 beta, then check same file. DS 4.8 cause no problem. it never show the deleted file.

But  DS 4.9 beta keep showing the deleted file (but actually it can not work, when I try to load the set) (because there is no such file in the directory any more.) and there seems no way to delete the icon.

I felt it must be concerend about DAZ connect and new Smart content way.sad

About this rig light set, I just use ds prop and default camera, then manually set rigs by joint editor.

then set files as subset, and figure, then categorize etc.  it is perfect original user file.

I really doubt,  DAZ can remove these bugs untill you release product ver of ds 4.9? 

withotu it not only about Porduct which I bought from DAZ but user saved edit files may cause many problem about smart content.

I had that issue and couldn't get rid of it; I ran the remove un-mapped and orphan files from content database management in 4.8 and that seemed to cure the problem.

edited November 2015

@nicstt thanks I may try the way. I feel strange because I can not see the file in ds 4.8 any more. (that is right, I delete the file in content library and, check actuall directory too. then I can not edit the file meta-data anymore) then I say to DAZ , after daz will release product ver, most of user may un-install ds 4.8. and we can not use the (actually strange way) to remove these problem. take care.

================================

then after all, (but thanks nicstt) the way could not work about my case. I use remove orphan and

un mapped content etc, in ds 4.8 again. then re-open ds 4.9,. but the un-deleted icon still trun-up in ds 4.9.

I may not edit meta-data , and my customize files many in current beta anymore . without clear I understand  why it happend.

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,171
    lx said:

Minimise the shop tab (or change it to Info, or... Tips?) I've been assured that the shop is completely inactive when minimised. Testing has suggested that this is the case.  

That is indeed the design. If it isn't visible, it shouldn't be consuming system resources. Thanks for validating that it works as designed.

-Rob

• DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817

Ability to HIDE individual not installed available products in the Smart Content tab.

Compare Screenshot:

When right clicking one of the products in the "ALL" or "AVAILABLE" tab the option "Hide Product" could be displayed.

Next to the checkmark "Filter by context" a checkmark "Show Hidden" could be added.

Side Note:

In the DIM I made regular use of the option to "hide" content that I most likely never ever again am going to install.

Examples: Hide Gen4 characters and items that do not work well with autofit. Hide content with no or outdated metadata categories.

Being able to hide products in the Smart Content tab could replicate that workflow.

This also means that the user does not waste time by having to look at the same items twice when browsing available products in the Smart Content Tab.

Example:

If the user makes a search and looks at a lot of items he can then hide those available products he does not like and the next time he makes a similar search he does not waste time by looking at the same items again.

The more content users have purchased the more important it becomes to hide "old" or "unwanted" products.

Example:

Based on my last workstation setup I am probably only going to install a small selection of 1'000 products out of 5'000+. 2'000 will be left in available and it would help if I could "hide" the remaining "2000".

The benefit of leaving some items in the "available" category is that the user still can make a destinction between items that are allways installed and some products that may be of use at a later time but should not use up HD space.

To summarize:

Installed: The core products that the user wants to work with all the time

Available: Products that may be of use later but should not use HD space at the moment

Available HIDDEN: Old and unwanted products that are not anymore going to be used

Additional Filters:

Next to the checkmark "Filter by Context" would be a great place to add additional filters like

- show only DAZ Originals on / off

- show only Generation 3 items on / off

- show only Generation 2 items on / off etc.

In an advanced version the user could also add custom filters based on "Categories" the user created.

- show only "user category" on / off

Example:

The user places all his favorite items into a custom category "my favorites".

Just browsing the category "my favorites" is not going to be of much use because many different items are tossed together.

Nevertheless when the user category "favorites" is toggled on as a filter in the whole Smart Content Tab all items that are not marked as favorites are hidden.

The benefit is that the user can still use all the default categories like people, wardrobe, environments etc to narrow down which favorites he is looking for.

The ability to filter based on custom "categories" would offer the possibility to make Boolean Searching operations by filtering for multiple categories at the same time while still showing all the available default categories.

Instead of showing just items that fall into one category "filters" would make it possible to show items that fall into several different categories while hiding all those items that do not fall into the select "filter" categories.

I like this "filter category" idea, it definitely is not going to make it in to the 4.9 release, but I will keep it in mind if and see if a decent UI can be formed around it so it could make it in to a future release. Although, it will probably make Postgres work really hard for it's money.

Why is it particularily called smart content? wink
     (never used it before and I think shall not use it then)

smart_content.jpg
    946 x 881 - 326K
  • a-sennov said:

Why is it particularily called smart content? wink
     (never used it before and I think shall not use it then)

Please report that as a bug - a couple of people seem to be getting unexpected results, though I'm not seeing that sort of thing.

lx said:

I'm not sure about earlier, but it was already checked when I looked at it just now. I now have all my content installed, but I tested again anyway. Now only the gen3 hairs I own show up.

The "Filter By Context" option is checked by default so that it most closely resembles the behavior that existed in the Smart Content pane before the option itself existed.

Reference Guide documentation on the Smart Content pane is actively being worked on. Information specifically related to the Category View—which is used to navigate the Smart Content pane—has been posted. Information on the Filter By Context option is posted further down in the same page. Take a look at what is currently there and see if that helps answer some questions for you. Check back periodically over the next week or so and you'll find more information being posted.

lx said:

I'd much rather the bugs with Categories be fixed so that I can arrange all of my content the way I want to.

The inconsistencies in metadata for products is also actively being worked on—we literally have a dedicated "Librarian" position whose primary responsibility is managing and fixing problems with metadata now.  Updates to the metadata for a few thousand products should be available through Daz Connect throughout the day today, and into early next week. We are currently honing the system to make this as smooth a process as possible, so that we can push metadata updates out as frequently and/or as quickly as needed (preference, of course, being for the latter with decreasing need for the former).

If what you are referring to with regard to categories pertains instead to desired improvements to workflow. Those desires are techinically feature requests (improvements), not bugs (defects), and will take time to implement— this of course assumes that they fit within our vision of what the tools should be and where they should reside. That is not to say that there are not bugs—percieved or otherwise—as that is the whole point of putting these builds in front of a wider audience. We are actively refining workflows to remove the hurdles that get in the way. Trust that if they get in the way for you, there is a pretty good chance that they get in the way for someone here in the office too. If you have used the Smart Content pane in the past, the refinements we've made thus far should become evident in the recent builds. That being said, we are certainly not done improving the workflow. It simply takes time to complete the work we have planned.

-Rob

The ability to hide products and/or files is already on the short list of features we have planned. It is not likely to be in 4.9, but being in 4.10  is looking pretty likely.

Also already on the short list of features we have planned is someting akin to Advanced Filtering in Install Mananger. This is further up the list than the hiding features, but still has a few things in front of it.

And speaking of Install Manager... something you will see in the next build of 4.9 is sorting order, similar to the feature in Install Manager.

-Rob

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    edited November 2015

I made a clean installation and started to download content from the cloud

• It could be great to have proxy support, most of the day I'm behind a firewall and the only way to connect directly is by sharing my cell phone data service.
    • I selected some products to download but couldn't find a way to cancel just one I changed my mind. Also would be great to be able to set priorities and decide what comes first.
    • Also found that some times categories hide and product images ocuppy that space and theres no way to show them again.

Post edited by jag11 on
    edited November 2015
    rbtwhiz said:

lx said:

I'd much rather the bugs with Categories be fixed so that I can arrange all of my content the way I want to.

The inconsistencies in metadata for products is also actively being worked on—we literally have a dedicated "Librarian" position whose primary responsibility is managing and fixing problems with metadata now.  Updates to the metadata for a few thousand products should be available through Daz Connect throughout the day today, and into early next week. We are currently honing the system to make this as smooth a process as possible, so that we can push metadata updates out as frequently and/or as quickly as needed (preference, of course, being for the latter with decreasing need for the former).

If what you are referring to with regard to categories pertains instead to desired improvements to workflow. Those desires are techinically feature requests (improvements), not bugs (defects), and will take time to implement— this of course assumes that they fit within our vision of what the tools should be and where they should reside. That is not to say that there are not bugs—percieved or otherwise—as that is the whole point of putting these builds in front of a wider audience. We are actively refining workflows to remove the hurdles that get in the way. Trust that if they get in the way for you, there is a pretty good chance that they get in the way for someone here in the office too. If you have used the Smart Content pane in the past, the refinements we've made thus far should become evident in the recent builds. That being said, we are certainly not done improving the workflow. It simply takes time to complete the work we have planned.

-Rob

With Categories, I'm referring to my post from earlier in this thread:

I'm still unable to create any Categories via any methods that involve creating a folder for multiple items (such as create category from folder/subfolders, or from products.) 

That works perfectly fine in 4.8, and the command is still there. I don't see how it could be anything but a bug? All I want to do is manually create a category folder in a custom category set via the "create from folder/subfolders" command, and in 4.9, it does nothing. Screenshot attached to make it clearer.

There are also Iray issues I'm having that are detailed above with screenshots. Again, only in 4.9. Same database same settings they work fine in 4.8

categories.png
    1116 x 594 - 79K
    Post edited by lx_2807502 on

Please report that as a bug - a couple of people seem to be getting unexpected results, though I'm not seeing that sort of thing.

Added #204625 to my ever growing collection of bugreports. Hope it will not share the fate of the rest and will be finally fixed some day.