WIP THREAD for September NEW USERS CONTEST

Comments

• canyonmanterrycanyonmanterry Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yes Thanks

• IlenaIlena Posts: 280
    edited September 2012

Sasje that's one tender, beautiful image.

Here's the image that might turn out to be the entry for the contest.

Mage_Learning.jpg
    800 x 1131 - 546K
    Post edited by Ilena on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:
    Sasje that's one tender, beautiful image.

Here's the image that might turn out to be the entry for the contest.

NICE one. Now think lighting. Add some drama with lights.
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

My 1st attempt.

Pose_file2.png
    800 x 640 - 847K
    edited September 2012

wilmap said:
    My 1st attempt.

Now were going, great stuff folks. I'm still going to hint at lighting. Now that you have your scene set up experiment with some lighting. If you need tips on lights just check the old WIP contest threads we have one that might give you some ideas.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

My First may decent figure yet. Figure is aiko 4. the hair is of A3. background is off my Bryce7

Hello canyonmanterry you are doing fine, but one thing is the hand with the staff.
    The hand with the staff is not quite right the fingers looks a little bit strange.
    edited December 1969

ntotor thank you.
    Ilena52 thank you, you’re picture looks good to
    wilmap it also looks good

edited September 2012

Have changed the lighting a bit.

Pose_file5.png
    800 x 640 - 816K
    Post edited by Wilmap on
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Have changed the lighting a bit.

I like, and it does make all the props stand out more. To me anywho.
    edited December 1969

Thanks Jaderail.:-)

• edited December 1969

This is still in its very early stage, I am thinking about turning it into a grindhouse type movie poster. Having a real problem trying to get the hand grip right.

@ wilmap - love the lighting in your second image.

grindhouseTest1.jpg
    587 x 800 - 169K
    edited December 1969

bluemoon said:
    This is still in its very early stage, I am thinking about turning it into a grindhouse type movie poster. Having a real problem trying to get the hand grip right.

@ wilmap - love the lighting in your second image.

Wow. I really like the camera and angle for this one. Lets see how to help you out....

Okay to get your hand pose just right try this. I'm sure you have the scene saved and the Render camera saved. So try this, load your scene and select just the hand you need to pose. Now switch your viewport camera to the Perspective Camera, and center on that hand, you can zoom in and move around and do the little tweaks the hand needs. To check your work just switch back to the Render camera to see what it will look like in the full render. I do this for fine tuning a pose all the time.

If your afraid you might forget which camera your in and move the RENDER camera, just Select it (Render Camera) in the Scene tab and open it in Parameters and LOCK it. Then you can not change it. Easy way to be sure the Render will stay the way you want and do the tweaks you see need work.
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Bluemoon, I have to agree with Jaderail, that's a great dramatic camera angle, and Jaderail gave you some good comments.

I'd like to add one more. As much as I like this, I would like you to try making it a drop wider, because as it is your main character is cut off on the right side. I don't mind that you don't see her legs as it's more or less almost a closeup, but with the right side cutting into her body, it just looks like you cropped a larger image badly.

To do this, try moving your render camera out (Z Translate) a little bit at a time until you have enough space between her body and the right side to almost equal the space between her gun and the left side. To me good scene composition is as important as good lighting.

• edited December 1969

Thanks Jaderail and Miss B, I will use all your tips and tricks. Never really realized how many moving parts it takes to make a hand.

edited December 1969

bluemoon said:
    Thanks Jaderail and Miss B, I will use all your tips and tricks. Never really realized how many moving parts it takes to make a hand.
    Welcome to POSING a prop in the hand.

TIP: I always save the hands for last, just because it will take most of the time.
  • edited December 1969

An update on the camera position. I like this on a lot, thanks for the tip Miss B.

grindhouseTest2.jpg
    640 x 800 - 184K
    edited December 1969

bluemoon said:
    An update on the camera position. I like this on a lot, thanks for the tip Miss B.
    Darn good work. I see one little thing with the hand. Not many (some) people curl the trigger finger over the trigger. Most (not all) pull the trigger with just the tip of the finger. Might that be what you think is just not right?
  • edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    bluemoon said:
    Darn good work. I see one little thing with the hand. Not many (some) people curl the trigger finger over the trigger. Most (not all) pull the trigger with just the tip of the finger. Might that be what you think is just not right?
    The trigger finger and thumb have been the hardest to pose and I think you're onto something with just having the tip of the finger on the trigger.
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

A lot of the finger position has to do with the action of the gun. I've fired an older .22 rifle (maybe 75-100 yrs old) with a very tight trigger. Then I've fired a 9MM handgun with what I consider a hair trigger. At the risk of getting off-topic with the poses (although to use a prop you need to use a convincing pose) I would suggest you think what adds a dramatic look to the image. If a finger tip adds to the drama of the scene then use it, but if a tightly squeezed finger adds a more forceful or intense feel, then try that.

Personally, looking at the images, I think the pose is good and works top serve the figure and the prop. I would concentrate on the lighting to add more drama. The framing of the second image has also helped.

edited September 2012

I do Agree about the trigger thing. It will depend on the pull of the trigger. Even for hard pulls most of the time, the CROOK of the last joint is what is used, so the trigger sits in the bend. To me the finger is to far over the trigger which puts the trigger on the MEAT of that finger and not on a power point. Yes you are supposed to squeeze a trigger but for art's use we all see the TV/Movie cop/thug stuff so much it is pretty much the not deep pull that the eye expects to see. As for the thumb if you have enough play left in this pose try rotating the pad more against the gun. I think the position looks good.

And Yes, the lighting can really make this render stand out. Try to get the Free Seven point light tutorial from the guy from DreamLight. It was free for the longest and gives very good tips on scene lighting.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited September 2012

wilmap this looks much better
    bleumoon this looks good.
    good work

Post edited by Sasje on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2012

Great renders so far. Sorry for not pooping in too much, been a bit busy elsewhere.

And all the comments about the trigger finger have had me trying to rember how I placed my thrigger finger, last time I fired a gun. lol, don't have a gun now, to try it out. :roll:, but as I remember it I would have the top two joints of the finger almost straight, and the finger would be back a bit compared to the rest of the hand.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • IlenaIlena Posts: 280
    edited December 1969

The image may look a bit different than the one before( had to reinstall the system ) but in my humble opinion I think the pose looks much better now. Currently doing some lighting testing and the first result follows.

train_for_the_best.jpg
    800 x 1131 - 503K
    edited December 1969

My 2nd attempt.

Real problems getting the light right.

Bike_Horses2a.png
    600 x 776 - 976K
    edited December 1969

bluemoon said:

Oh yes, much better. ;-)
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:
    The image may look a bit different than the one before( had to reinstall the system ) but in my humble opinion I think the pose looks much better now. Currently doing some lighting testing and the first result follows.

I likey the lighting as well!

edited December 1969

Hey Folks, great work. I found a link one of our old friends had and you might like to get this file. Thanks to Sedor I can point you to the free 3D lighting tips book I was talking about. http://www.3dlightmaster.com/

• edited December 1969

I tried to add a bit of DoF but it completely ruined my camera angle. Will save it with a new name and play around some more as I think it would help a lot.

grindhouseTest4.jpg
    779 x 800 - 197K
    edited September 2012

bluemoon said:
    I tried to add a bit of DoF but it completely ruined my camera angle. Will save it with a new name and play around some more as I think it would help a lot.

See, now that you changed your overall lighting to night rather than day, I don't think you need DOF at all, because she's brightly lit and popping right out of that background. I also see you added a little more space between her and the right edge. Right on! I think this is your best effort yet. ;-)

Edited to Add: And your trigger finger looks well positioned now.

Post edited by Miss B on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    DS has a Ambient Glow but that will not produce a REAL light. It works well for low light scenes then a fill light is needed for the spill effect.

Here is part of one I did about a year ago. The GUN is a free item I snagged from ShareCG. The Flash is a 3D effect from a pack here at DAZ3D. All this had to be posed by hand. By all this, I mean the Gun, hands and muzzle flash, the background set comes that way.

EDITED TWICE to clear things up.

Hi all, saw this and wondered whether the area lights in DS would create the effect you're after?

It doesn't seem much different to making eyes glow...

Interesting thread....love what I've seen so far.

hugs

Pen