DazPeople would like to see tutorials at dazshop - teach people 3d character creation! (call to al C

Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
edited September 2012 in The Commons

The biggest problem here, for many people is the learn proces of character creation.
how you work with daz models in Zbrush, texture it, rig them back in studio...
there are alot of Creators around here, but it's seems that they don’t like to share goodies not even for tutorials you can buy!
if daz don't teach this to the new 3d noobs, who does?

Only Cath tried to create a few youtube’s, but we still have not "1" well explained tutorial that explain you the full character creation proces with genesis. Isn't that strange?

Tutorials where you start from the idea, sculpt in Zb (max, maya, silo or modeler you use), texture the character, rig the character with all morphs back to studio...

not "1" tutorial with this kind of subject available at the shop...
i tought daz, was a place where people could learn 3d?
how can they learn 3d without good well explained tutorials?

i am pretty sure there are, alot of us around here that would like to see more such kind of tutorials about complete character design
in the daz shop and not alone content anymore.

Tutorials that teach the whole proces of a character to Zb and back to daz textured and rigged.
these things are so hard needed for the community here.

Would you like to see such kind of tutorials appear here at the shop..

let the Content Creators here you message...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

update:

Forget everything about Gen 4 figures and old tutorials we found enough here in the past...
it's only GENESIS that counts for the daz people now.

'm still very disappointed by the cooperation of PA's (GENESIS content creators) that sell at the shop around here!
i've seen only a few replies by some of them, where are all the others?
Where are the tutorials that explain the GENESIS SHAPESHIFTER AND IT'S CONTENT CREATION PROCES OF CHARACTERS, CLOTHES,.... tutorials that teach all the new people around here.

a few useful tutorial links posted by users below..

a first help to learn you about the new GENESIS CHARACHTER DESIGN PROCES.

(www.jasonwelsh.com)

(Blender, Zbrush, Maya learning,...)

http://www.youtube.com/user/cannedmushrooms

Watch Jason Zbrush video's...
really support this guy and buy his dvd's, he is awesome!

(RAMWolff)
tutorial on making ANY PP2 or HR2 CONFORM to Genesis
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/1866/

(Smay3d)
Rigging in DAZ Studio 4
Setup Snake character in DAZ Studio 4
Create Bikini for Genesis
http://smay3d.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

(another section)
Bobbie25 Rigging Tutorials
Patience55 Tutorials
Carnite's Channel
Some guy named Rob Whisnant's Tutorials
Procedural Cloth Shaders by AoA
Hexagon Cheatsheets by Daybreak Studio
Genesis Starter Kit (clothing Creation) and Classic Bikini (Clothing Design) By Fugazzi1968
Johnny Bevo's Tutorials
Tecy's Hexagon Tutorials
CG Dreams Hexagon Quickstart Tutorials

other great resources

(learn more 3d @)
http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/index.php
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/

Post edited by Fixme12 on

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited September 2012

I agree. Blondie9999 also released a nice tutorial which is for sale in the DAZ3D for rigging... found here:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/rigging-original-figures-in-ds4-pro

I was actually considering getting Blacksmith 3D since it's on sale to add to my ever expanding tool kit. So asked Conan (Konan??) if his program now supported better handling of multi UV figures and how did one go about texture / projection painting genitals for Genesis. Not the remapped one either but the default released one. Mentioned that I was well aware that Studio Art Vartanian used his program to create her unbelievable character packages. Would love a tutorial from Jo and her work flow in Blacksmith 3D for sure!

Cath has provided many examples of how to get things working from ZBrush into DAZ Studio but yea, nothing that's well explained for those interested in trying their hand at creating their own clothing. Cath has shown a few of us how to work morphing magic in ZBrush but yea, making clothing is still a mystery!

Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,039
    edited December 1969

I for one am looking for a good one on Geografting. I dont like to read so somebody make a vid:)

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Well, I added the tutorials I made to the current forum but they don't have the pics imbedded. Maybe later when the forum can imbed, then they will make a little more sense than there current versions. :P

TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4 by RKane_1

TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis Partial Body Morph in DAZ Studio Pro 4 Using the DForm Tool by RKane_1

I too would love to see some info/tutorials on:

geo-grafting

making clothes

making hair

working with the shader mixer.

If you know something, please start posting! We would all appreciate it.,

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,862
    edited September 2012

Hi, fixme12! :) Sorry to hear your having trouble finding help with content creation. Have you tried some of the Help Forums here? The Nuts and Bolts forum has some people hanging out that may be able to help with specific issues:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/categories/5/

Or you can always check out the DAZ Studio Discussion thread. It is also a good place to ask questions:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/

And much of the Documentation is being completed online.

http://www.daz3d.com/help

Take a peek in the Knowledge Base or in Documents and Tutorials.

The real reason why it is difficult to find tutorials and things is because people use different tools to make things for Daz Studio and Poser. Some people may use ZBrush. Others use Hexagon or Maya or something else. Some Use Photoshop, others Paintshop Pro or Gimp, or.. we could go on forever....lol
    Anyway, hope this helps a little and good luck! :)

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited December 1969

I would love to see (and would be willing to pay for, depending on the quality of instruction) some tutorials built around the creation of some of DAZ's more iconic images. The example I've provided is similar enough to the "Fiery Genesis" tutorial DAZ put out this past year -- that was pretty good; now, let's see some more.

The_Art_of_DAZ_Melmoth_003.JPG
    1000 x 1389 - 474K
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    edited December 1969

While I see your points and agree this would be a great thing for customers and aspiring creators, look at the other side. If a vendor relies on creating DS/Poser to make a living, the last thing they would probably want is to share their workflow and secrets because it would hurt their income. This market is really small and the last thing needed for a vendor is any competition.

If anything, DAZ should be the ones to publish any tutorials since more vendors is a win/win for them.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873
    edited September 2012

Only problem I see with attempting an "All-In-One" tutorial is that no two people do things the same way. I have spent most of August watching Hexagon tutorials by different people and differnt people do things different ways to accomplish the same goal.

There is a lot of information to be considered when doing any part of content creation. Speaking just from the stand point of converting models for use in DS and Poser and having written a 14 page tutorial on that, I can tell you that you cannot include everything or go over everything.

There needs to be very specific tutorials covering certain subjects in great detail and nothing else without diving into other areas or the end user will be left with a lot more questions. And what is the point of providing a tutorial when the people who get it are going to come back with more questions then before.

This also begs the question, why pay for it when there are already countless tutorials all over the internet covering differnt programs and how to use them?

If anyone wants to make content in any fashion, then start searching. Expecting anyone to provide exactly what you need or want to making your own from start to finish is like expecting a professional photographer to reveal ALL their secrets.

But regardless, I'll go back to my first comment. People do things differently, think differently, respond in differnt manners. So whats good for the goose is not good for the gander.

And speaking of tutorials...

3D Model Conversions
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/?adtf0812j6py43i

Dealing with Zipped Poser Content
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/?oqcf29kmigzd3gk

Post edited by Mattymanx on
    edited December 1969

But, if labelled, will get someone off to a good start. if I can follow the steps for Exporting something into Hexagon and then reimporting it, I will be that much closer to doing it in Zbrush or Modo or whatever program I choose.

• willowfanwillowfan Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

Genesis Starter Kit is available from the store here at DAZ showing how to create a basic clothing item using Hexagon and Daz 4 Pro.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

I made a tutorial for daz on creating cat like 'eyeshine' material/shader in the below link.

Creating cat like 'eyeshine' in Daz (Tutorial Page 6)
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6376/P75

Eyeshine_promo.jpg
    673 x 250 - 82K
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

There are also lots of tutorials on CG at http://www.cgdreams.co.uk/free.html also using Hexagon and ZBrush.

The site is run by 'tez' who used to post on the Hexagon forums here. He does character modelling as well.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Only problem I see with attempting an “All-In-One” tutorial is that no two people do things the same way. Not sure why this is a problem or different to any number of paid for tutorials on various subjects.

This also begs the question, why pay for it when there are already countless tutorials all over the internet covering differnt programs and how to use them?

Because it is in one place, and not everyone has time to trawl the internet looking for stuff. By that same token you could ask why should people buy things from vendors when there are plenty of sites with free content.

Expecting anyone to provide exactly what you need or want to making your own from start to finish is like expecting a professional photographer to reveal ALL their secrets.
    And yet there are hundreds if not thousands of books on photography and how to capture the perfect shot. I'm not sure why you appear to be afraid of writing a tutorial that reveals your secrets. Nobody is saying anyone needs to reveal all their secrets. Just because a tutorial/book is produced that shows someone clearly how to do something does not mean they are going to do it. Or that they will be able to do it to the same standard. Of course there may be those who can do it better than you. Even if people do start selling content because of a tutorial, they might not necessarily be successful. Not everyone is going to buy their content. If the market is as small as some are saying in this thread then surely you'd be looking for alternative income streams to supplement? Providing tutorials is another income stream, some people seem to do it quite successfully.

I would love to pick up more tutorials - I am one of those people who has limited free time and am willing to pay for them. I'm grateful to all those vendors who have provided tutorials and aren't afraid that I'm going to start making content and competeing when them for customers.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

Blondie9999 said that she's working on advanced rigging and geo-grafting doc. So gonna get that one.

edited December 1969

anikad said:
    And yet there are hundreds if not thousands of books on photography and how to capture the perfect shot. I'm not sure why you appear to be afraid of writing a tutorial that reveals your secrets. Nobody is saying anyone needs to reveal all their secrets. Just because a tutorial/book is produced that shows someone clearly how to do something does not mean they are going to do it. Or that they will be able to do it to the same standard. Of course there may be those who can do it better than you. Even if people do start selling content because of a tutorial, they might not necessarily be successful. Not everyone is going to buy their content. If the market is as small as some are saying in this thread then surely you'd be looking for alternative income streams to supplement? Providing tutorials is another income stream, some people seem to do it quite successfully.

I would love to pick up more tutorials - I am one of those people who has limited free time and am willing to pay for them. I'm grateful to all those vendors who have provided tutorials and aren't afraid that I'm going to start making content and competeing when them for customers.

My appologies if I did not come across clearly. It is not a matter of keeping secrets in any fasion or fear of competition. If so I would not have written the two tutorials I posted above or the one linked in my sig about the Poser Format Exporter. Manuals are there to show how a program works and tutorials are there to show the combination of certain steps but a tutorial cannot teach a person how to think or observe or explain every possible reson for doing something.

Now again, please dont misunderstand me, I am not against people learning or being taught. But if someone want to learn, they should not wait for someone else to provide exactly what it is they think they need or want, to do so. Trial and error is the best teacher. And yes you are correct, just because someone writes a tutorial, it doesn't mean someone else is not better at it. The different aspecs of content creation is best if explained in detail across multiple tutorials and guides so that anyone can have a better understanding of the different aspecs and see different ways of approaching the same task, which a single individual cannot do for another.

Back to photography, if anyone want to learn photography then they should start by learning about the different aspects of the camera and how it works. By this I mean F/Stop, Shutter Speed, ISO (formally ASA) plus other details like the distance to the subject, focal length of the lens and focal distance. All these factors play a crucial role in how the image will turn out BUT a lack of understanding of any of these will undermine the one taking the picture. So studying one or two of these aspects at a time and going over them again and again until its engraved in ones thinking is far more bennificial then a multi step guide.

Speaking of which, here is a nice little tutorial on Depth of Field Photography which relates to rendering as well since they use the same principals - http://www.photoaxe.com/depth-of-field-photography-tutorial-part-3/

Limitied time we all understand. Over the past 8 years, until June of this year, anything and everything I have done, whether renders, freebies or products for sale, has all been done in my spare time.

ps, a potographer told me once that the secret of taking great pictures is to never show anyone your bad ones!

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Blondie9999 said that she's working on advanced rigging and geo-grafting doc. So gonna get that one.

Ditto!

Especially after seeing her work with the Aquatic Genesis.

Great piece of work there.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

I realize most people love video tutorials, but I'm not one of them. I'd love to have some good tutorials (especially about Hex) in pdf that I can pop onto my tablet, since I have a single monitor and an aging video card (it does well enough, but it gets fussy when I try to watch videos while having anything else active... including my e-mail). But Video Tutorials seem to be the "way to go"

I realize that I can put those videos on my tablet as well, but honestly, I just don't learn as well from them. I can't stop and double check something earlier as easily, I can't skim to exactly the point that addresses my current problem as easily, and in general, they just don't match up with how I learn best.

For some reason, multi-post forum tutorials don't quite work as well for me either, though that I'm less sure of why.

So anyone who's done some of those video tutorials who's willing to type it up with a few dozen screen caps, I'm willing to shell out a few bucks for your time and effort. ;)

edited September 2012

Mattymanx said:

My apologies if I did not come across clearly. It is not a matter of keeping secrets in any fashion or fear of competition. If so I would not have written the two tutorials I posted above or the one linked in my sig about the Poser Format Exporter. Manuals are there to show how a program works and tutorials are there to show the combination of certain steps but a tutorial cannot teach a person how to think or observe or explain every possible reason for doing something.

Now again, please don't misunderstand me, I am not against people learning or being taught. But if someone want to learn, they should not wait for someone else to provide exactly what it is they think they need or want, to do so. Trial and error is the best teacher.

I do not mean to offend but to me this is broken thinking. You don't sit down at a computer with no context as to what the computer can do, is for, how it works or that it even needs to be plugged in. You sit at it to begin your trial and error AFTER gathering information. Intel is vital before engaging the enemy. The more you know, the more you will learn from your trial and error. Someone doesn't have to hold my hand all the way but if someone has done something before I want to emulate, you better be darn sure I will isten to any bits of wisdom they have to share and will use their work to elevate my own.

Mattymanx said:
    And yes you are correct, just because someone writes a tutorial, it doesn't mean someone else is not better at it. The different aspects of content creation is best if explained in detail across multiple tutorials and guides so that anyone can have a better understanding of the different aspects and see different ways of approaching the same task, which a single individual cannot do for another.

So more intel gathering. Just because someone makes ONE tutorial to do something doesn't mean no one else can write a tutorial. Having one centralized location to gather tutorials at is remarkably beneficial. I can't see how you can be against it. It boggles my mind.

Mattymanx said:
    Back to photography, if anyone want to learn photography then they should start by learning about the different aspects of the camera and how it works. By this I mean F/Stop, Shutter Speed, ISO (formally ASA) plus other details like the distance to the subject, focal length of the lens and focal distance. All these factors play a crucial role in how the image will turn out BUT a lack of understanding of any of these will undermine the one taking the picture. So studying one or two of these aspects at a time and going over them again and again until its engraved in ones thinking is far more beneficial then a multi step guide.

If you were to need to make a cake and knew how an oven worked and that eggs and flour were involved, is that enough info for you? I would think you would follow a recipe fairly closely, then later, when you felt more accomplished at it, you would make your own variations. The best tutorials not only explain what to do but why. Those reasons can be explored after a run through or maybe two until that person is more comfortable. If you DIDN'T have a recipe, trial and error wastes time and resources. If you had a tutorial on setting up a basic portrait including lighting and depth of field info and the reasons for lighting softly and using a gobo and all that, you would put together a few good portraits. Then you could experiment on your own by making variations or perhaps even abandon the principles of the tutorial to become avant garde but you will still have that knowledge under your belt.

Speaking of which, here is a nice little tutorial on Depth of Field Photography which relates to rendering as well since they use the same principals - http://www.photoaxe.com/depth-of-field-photography-tutorial-part-3/

Limited time we all understand. Over the past 8 years, until June of this year, anything and everything I have done, whether renders, freebies or products for sale, has all been done in my spare time.

Then I'm confused over your willingness to waste more of it. Shared knowledge is how we learn the basics. Trial and error is how we excel after learning those basics.

ps, a photographer told me once that the secret of taking great pictures is to never show anyone your bad ones!

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link is what my art teacher told me when reviewing my portfolio.

Post edited by RKane_1 on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:

I do not mean to offend but to me this is broken thinking. You don't sit down at a computer with no context as to what the computer can do, is for, how it works or that it even needs to be plugged in. You sit at it to begin your trial and error AFTER gathering information. Intel is vital before engaging the enemy. The more you know, the more you will learn from your trial and error. Someone doesn't have to hold my hand all the way but if someone has done something before I want to emulate, you better be darn sure I will isten to any bits of wisdom they have to share and will use their work to elevate my own.

Unfortunately, welcome to the real world.... and what my almost 3 decades of IT career has been. There has been no manual nor tutorial, it's been a lot of digging and trial and error to get solutions done. The information you'll need will most certainly not be in one place... thank goodness for google and various forums where I've had to dig information from to figure out what I needed.

However, there are plenty of books, tutorials, and forums out there for character creation using your tool of choice, and a lot of those skills learned from those books transfer to loading them into DS. You just need to look. My bookshelf has more microsoft and web development books on them than 3D creation, but I have books on creature and character creation using zbrush, and a few poser books as well... also browsing through the forums gave additional bits of info as well.... but I really didn't look at them until I started looking around the program and loading content and playing around with the content to see what each does.... with a healthy amount of practice.

Unfortunately I wouldn't depend on the content creators doing manuals for you; this really isn't a high paying job for them and stopping that work to write tutorials for content creation may not be worth the risk for them.

edited September 2012

RKane_1 said:

Unfortunately, welcome to the real world.... and what my almost 3 decades of IT career has been. There has been no manual nor tutorial, it's been a lot of digging and trial and error to get solutions done. The information you'll need will most certainly not be in one place... thank goodness for google and various forums where I've had to dig information from to figure out what I needed.

However, there are plenty of books, tutorials, and forums out there for character creation using your tool of choice, and a lot of those skills learned from those books transfer to loading them into DS. You just need to look. My bookshelf has more microsoft and web development books on them than 3D creation, but I have books on creature and character creation using zbrush, and a few poser books as well... also browsing through the forums gave additional bits of info as well.... but I really didn't look at them until I started looking around the program and loading content and playing around with the content to see what each does.... with a healthy amount of practice.

Unfortunately I wouldn't depend on the content creators doing manuals for you; this really isn't a high paying job for them and stopping that work to write tutorials for content creation may not be worth the risk for them.

Again... are you saying we shouldn't ask for something that would be beneficial to us because you had it rough and expect us to as well?

I've written tutorials when I found information and shared it with everyone. I posted it in the forums and have had many people say that they have enjoyed it. if you don't want to be bothered writing a tutorial, then don't write one. If you don't mind helping then do so.

As far as the real world, that's where I have been living for the last few decades and I have found it all works better when we occasionally give back to the community we share.

And as for what I expect? I expect little to nothing. But what I humbly ask for is knowledge from those who have it. Learning and enlightenment I will get done on my own. :)

• blondie9999blondie9999 Posts: 771
    edited December 1969

Ha-- I certainly wouldn't want anyone to have to go through the trial-and-error and question-asking and general hassle that I went through in learning how to rig an original figure in DAZ Studio. That's why I wrote my tutorial on rigging.

When I set out to learn how to rig, there was only one tutorial I could find-- and actually, I didn't even find it, someone else pointed it out to me-- and it was VERY skimpy and didn't go into much detail. It was better than nothing, but... not much.

For those interested in content creation, whether for Poser or DS, I HIGHLY recommend Secrets of Figure Creation in Poser 5 by B.L. Render. The book is now about nine or ten years old, but even so, it contains a wealth of information that is still useful-- a lot of concepts that apply both to Poser and DS (remember, items rigged with Poser's legacy "parametric" system work in DS!)-- and it's well worth the money. I put off buying the book for a year or so, and could kick myself for not buying it sooner-- I could have saved myself literally hundreds of hours of wasted time and frustration.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Blondie, I have that book as well.

RKane_1 said:

Again... are you saying we shouldn't ask for something that would be beneficial to us because you had it rough and expect us to as well?

I'm saying be realistic in your expectations... and there's plenty of reference material available for character creation if you take the time to look and take advantage of the references available to you.

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited December 1969

Hi, fixme12! :) Sorry to hear your having trouble finding help with content creation.

i don't have any problems..
    I completely lost my interest in 3d last year (for me it's to late) and seriously thinkin about move back to my music business.

In all the years here at daz, i still have the same regretful feeling "content creators around here do not like to share info about their content creation proces"
    I have learned more about 3d from digitaltutors and else, as here on the forum...
    and always tought daz was just there for al the new 3d people around...

What 's wrong with teach other people 3d? is it a fear to sell less content?

I really would like to see more tutorials in the shop for all the new people around here.

We all know that the more advanced users here, do not use programs like hexagon or carrara, gimp,...

and use the more advanced tools like Zbrush, Max, Maya, Mari, C4d, lightwave, photopshop,...
    but still like to play with all the pre-made content that 's available for the daz models.

Where are the tutorials like "How you create your Daz Genesis character in Zbrush, rig, texture it, and animate in daz"?

We can also request these at digitaltutors.com

but it sounds more useful, to have this here at the dazshop.

The reason of this thread is a call to all content creators to show us or develop some nice tutorials at dazshop with those tools you use to design your characters, clothes, or whatever prop you made. (free or none free whatever)

many people around here are looking for this information, and some even more than just purchase content.

if daz don't have the time to teach this, content creators can take some move, not?

Tutorials that explain things like, how it's made, how it can be SHAPESHIFTER, how i get to this character,...
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/new-releases/mountain-troll-for-genesis
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/ms-lycan

• blondie9999blondie9999 Posts: 771
    edited December 1969

One thing to keep in mind-- a lot of content creators are too busy making content to write tutorials. Also, a lot of people don't feel that they have the writing skills or are good at explaining things.

Writing a good tutorial is quite time-consuming and tedious. You have to go through each step and write it down as you do it so that you don't leave out any steps-- and believe me, it's VERY easy to leave out steps if you're used to performing a task. If illustrations are needed, you have to stop and make a screenshot and then crop and size it and insert it in the appropriate place. About 75% of the time I spent on the rigging tutorial was spent on making the illustrations. THEN you have to go back and check it all over, THEN have other people go through it and check it over, THEN revise it... and on, and on.

In short, unless you're just writing about one small task, you can't sit down and whomp out a decent tutorial in an hour or less. It takes quite a lot of time to create a good tutorial, and the more material it covers, and the more complex that material is, the more time it takes. A lot of people just don't have the time.

edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:

I'm saying be realistic in your expectations... and there's plenty of reference material available for character creation if you take the time to look and take advantage of the references available to you.

My expectations are nil. So I cannot be disappointed but compare this DAZ forum to say the ZBrush forum.

Different outlook and different willingness to help by all.

That community is thriving.

Here, I see post after post of people wanting to leave. Mind you, I understand it is for a myriad of reasons however, if the community were stronger and more tight knit and people shared more information, then people would be more loyal and less willing to leave.

As far as doing the work in looking? I have. I have the basics. I have explored those basics and even written tutorials on what I found.

Maybe you could too. I am sure it would be appreciated.

edited December 1969

Again, my appoligies for mis-understanding any previous comment and for not clearly explaining myself as well as I ought to or want to. I realize I did not touch on any creative aspect in any previous comment but instead just the technical side of things.

I think a question anyone should ask themselves in this case would be "Do I feel you have a clear understanding of the programs I am using in order to make use of a step-by-step guide showing the processes used to create content?" If not, then how should one go about getting educated about ALL one needs to learn? Afterall, no one person can cover every last aspect required to teach all thats needed. It is extremely complex.

In regards to "lesser apps" versus the more expensive ones like 3DSM, please consider this as a form of encouragement. Just because Hexagon is free and does not have all the same feature sets as say 3D Studio Max, does not mean its any less useful. I have attempted to learn Hex over the past month and I fell its biggest strength, is that its designed for one primary purpose, modeling. It makes it much easier to learn cause your not passing over 600 other tools not related to what you are doing.

First, for those who prefer a written tut, you can find one listed here in the comments - https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/122228-hexagon-user-s-guide - I have that same one, it is older but still good.

For those who want video tuts on modeling in Hex...

www.geekatplay.com - Over 100 video tuts covering Hex and how certain things work plus how to create certain things.
    Jonny Bevo's own video tuts - http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnybevo?feature=CAQQwRs=
    CGDreams - http://www.youtube.com/user/CGDreamsTutorials/videos

Then there is also more Hex info here - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/326/ - Not sure what links are live or not.

And thats just Hexagon!

If anyone is looking for tutorials on Riggin in DS3 or DS4:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rbtwhiz/videos
    http://www.youtube.com/user/WWWDAZ3DCOM/videos - There are many other tutorial there as well.

But if anyone is looking for tutorials on 3D Studio Max or Maya, then start looking over at Autodesk. If they want tutorials on ZBrush, begin at Pixologic.

And though it is more difficult to sift through, the forum archive is full of useful info still - http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/

edited December 1969

One thing to keep in mind-- a lot of content creators are too busy making content to write tutorials. Also, a lot of people don't feel that they have the writing skills or are good at explaining things.

Writing a good tutorial is quite time-consuming and tedious. You have to go through each step and write it down as you do it so that you don't leave out any steps-- and believe me, it's VERY easy to leave out steps if you're used to performing a task. If illustrations are needed, you have to stop and make a screenshot and then crop and size it and insert it in the appropriate place. About 75% of the time I spent on the rigging tutorial was spent on making the illustrations. THEN you have to go back and check it all over, THEN have other people go through it and check it over, THEN revise it... and on, and on.

In short, unless you're just writing about one small task, you can't sit down and whomp out a decent tutorial in an hour or less. It takes quite a lot of time to create a good tutorial, and the more material it covers, and the more complex that material is, the more time it takes. A lot of people just don't have the time.

Agreed and that's why your going to find tutorials, esp ones in video format around $45.00 a pop plus they don't sell as well but for those of us that use DAZ Studio, ZBrush and Photoshop on a regular basis it would be worth the money to have, say, a simple top clothing item made in ZBrush, brought into DAZ Studio and set up, rigged and textured in Photoshop so folks get an idea of all that goes into these HUGE sets and satisfy those that are willing to take that leap. Then of course combine that with the ghost bones to make capes, flowing sleeves and skirts too.

Your working the Geo Grafting tutorial is something I'm looking forward to as it might be fun to give folks options on my Fuzzie creature I was working on to possibly build a set that grafts to Genesis for easier scaling as the morphed version I created, as much fun and work as it was does not scale perfectly since the vertices seems to squash as you bring the figure down to a smaller size. Looks OK but that bothers me a bit. Do your ears for your Aquatic character suffer with this or do they scale down nicely Blondie?

Another purpose of this thread is to share ideas and come up with solutions that perhaps even merchants can learn from. We all benefit in the long run even if it's just to simply understand the process better. The more folks understand the more they can appreciate the process.

edited September 2012

*laugh* If Daz gave away 4.5 Pro but charged $50 for the manual, THEN they would make some money *chuckle*

• chrisschellchrisschell Posts: 267
    edited December 1969

I wrote a tut a ways back on working with conforming items in Daz... it's for the older Figure Set-up Tools set and is a very basic step-by-step tut but still workable in principle... not sure how much of it would transfer to making things for Genesis... but should still be good as a basic guide for DS3... link in my sig... :)

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited September 2012

RKane_1 said:

for maya, max, Zbrush,... and other highend! yes tutorials are available (digitaltutors)

for zbrush vs dazstudio, max vs studio, maya vs studio, c4d vs studio, lightwave vs studio, blender vs studio,....

not "1" tutorial to buy at shop somewhere about genesis...
    people don't need old tutorials, only the new things about "GENESIS CHARACTER CREATION"

this guy did a nice try about Zbrush and poser
    http://www.darkedgedesign.com/

another nice session also for poser
    http://market.target-view.nl/categories/Tutorials/

but still nothing about tutorials "Daz and Genesis & the full design proces"!

Post edited by Fixme12 on
    edited December 1969

Exactly. Folks that are just getting a handle on content creation and came in using DAZ Studio and Genesis are not going to know anything about Poser nor how to begin to substitute all the differences between the two programs to get it all working in DAZ Studio. For folks that know both programs it's not a big deal for allot of it but that's not what we are talking about here.