HOW DO I GET MY FREEBIE CONTENT INTO MY DAZ PROGRAM?

I was wondering how I get the free stuff I just downloaded via winrar into my Daz Program?

Comments

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012

It'll depend on the "free" stuff you are on about. Most of the sites that offer free content include a help page/read me running you through the process.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653
    KA1 said:

It'll depend on the "free" stuff you are on about. Most of the sites that offer free content include a help page/read me running you through the process.

Thank you so much. I am off to read all the files now.

KA1 said:

Thank you so much. I am off to read all the files now.

Ok I tryed reading all the "Read Me" Files and none of them tell me how to get the materials,Props or morphs into daz. Can someone pla help me got most from RenderCity I think that is how it is spelled.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

The top-level folder in the zip will usually be either Runtime, Content, or My Library.  If it's Runtime, you want to merge that with the Runtime folder in your content folder (e.g. My Library or My DAZ 3D Library).  If it's Content or My Library, take what's INSIDE that folder and merge it with the folders underneath your content folder.

ok I am so confused here not sure what you r meaning Fixmypcmike? Is there some sort of Tutorial I could go to or perhaps a video tutorial and how to do this step by step, I guess  I need it streched out to me by maybe showing me step by step!!! This daz is so new to me I really don't know much about this version. I am used to the way older version of Daz. So need a big time refresher.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891

Just post an image of the contents of the ZIP file.   Any content gets installed to your library folder, if you are using DIM, that will be 'My DAZ 3D Library', and iside there are amny other folders, one of them being 'Runtime whcih holds all of the Poser Content that you see inside DS.

With any content, it is a matter of 'merging' the new content into the folders that already exist in you library folder.   Installing other content is the same as always, it is just the library name that has changed.   The library in the older DAZ Studio 3.0 was called 'Content', in DS4 it was called 'My Library' and it is now called 'My DAZ 3D library' but the name is unimportant.   Just merge the folders from the ZIP file with the folders that are already there.

If you post an image, it will be easy for us to tell you what goes where.

Maybe my back meds are getting to me but I am still confused as I do not know how to get the content files into DIM. That is why I think I need a tutorial to do what needs to be done.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,051
    edited October 2015

You can't use DIM to install 3rd party content (well, at least 99% of 3rd party content, there are a few exceptions), you have to install it manually.

Post edited by Leana on
    Leana said:

You can't use DIM to install 3rd party content (well, at least 99% of 3rd party content, there are a few exceptions), you have to install it manually.

Can you give me a step by step instructions on how to do it manually Leana?

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,991
    edited October 2015

You'd probably want to unzip your folder first, but with WINZIP compressed folders, you can drag and drop the files directly into the target folder, and it decompresses them automatically. Since you are using Winrar-compressed folders, you will need a program that is able to decompress Winrar to decompress the files first, otherwise you can't install.

First, you go into the ZIP-Folder of the freebie. In some folders, it starts directly with Runtime, etc as a subdirectory, but here I have a "content" overhead folder. You can not use the "content" folder, but you need to copy the folders inside the content folder to your designated freebie library.

Second, Mark all the folders in "content", then right-click and "copy".

Third, go to the folder where you want to install the files. I created a library for my freebies only, so I can install and deinstall them easily, and they do not get mixed up with my paid content. But most users copy the files into their regular library. There are some rare morphs/items that have to be integrated into the regular library or they won't work. The process for copying is the same for both cases, just the target directories are different. If you are installing your new content into your DAZ-Library, you will have to go to "My DAZ 3D Library", or however you have named the folder. The folder already contains subdirectories with the same name as the folders you want ti paste into it, but that is fine. We are now going to merge the new folders with the old folders.

Inside the library-content top level folder (where you can see all the "data, People, Runtime" folders) Right-click again and select "paste". The dialogue will now open and ask you if you want to merge the new folder with the existing folder/s ("Runtime", for example). Click "Yes. There are usually several "conflicting" folders, so you either have to repeat the merge for each, or you check off "use method on all other conflicts" (sorry, I don't know how the option is called in the English language version, but it should have a similar meaning). The content will now be copied into your library directory. In case you get any other error messages about "readme" files being overwritten, don't panic. If it's readme or license files, it usually can be overwritten, with other files, check out carefully what will be overwritten. If in doubt, cancel the process and check back with the ReadMe or vendor if it's okay that the file gets overwritten by the new file.

Fourth, it's time to tell DAZ Studio about the new content folder. (This step is only neccessary if you are using a new, unmapped folder for content. Skip this step if you are using the regular content folder, or the folder was mapped already.)

Open DAZ Studio. In "Edit", go to "Preferences". In the "Preferences" window, select the "Content Library" folder. Click on "Content Directory Manager". A new windw will open. In "Content Sets"-->"Current Directories" select the "DAZ Studio File Format" directories. On the left hand menu listing, under "Directory", click "Add". Now you can select the folder where you have your new content. In my case, the folder I add is "Downloaded Content/DAZ Magazine". I then repeat the same step for the "Poser Formats" directories. This is important, as most content has DAZ&Poser format files, so it will not work/you get error messages if you just install your new folder in the DAZ Studio File format. Click "Accept". The window will close. In the "Content Directory Manager" Window, click "Apply", and then "Accept". Again, you do not have to do this if your folder is already known to DAZ Studio.

Fifth, your new content folder is ready for use now. If you are using the regular DAZ content directory, you will find the content there, just like regular content you installed. Be aware, though, that content not installed through DIM is not marked as "New".

Install1.JPG
    791 x 266 - 28K
    Install2.JPG
    913 x 313 - 38K
    Install3.JPG
    967 x 138 - 29K
    install5.JPG
    474 x 439 - 39K
    Install6.JPG
    622 x 616 - 39K
    Post edited by BeeMKay on

Thanks so much for the step by step instructions for installing the freebies I have collected. I am now going to go and install them all now.

A side note: This step by step info should be pinned to the start of either the Freebie section or to the new user section of this forum it was very helpful for me and I think it will be so much help for the new users that are comming into Daz 3D!!

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,991

Glad to be of use. :-) I hope that everything worked out for you.

lee_lhs said:

Glad to be of use. :-) I hope that everything worked out for you.

Yes it did thank you so much!!

• DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384

Thank god!! It's even in English too and not Level 73 Daz Master speak. You rule Bee.

• Thanks for this, BEE, but I've followed your instructions (I think correctly), and unfortunately when I launch DAZ still not able to find the Freebies folder and its content that I created; even when checking the Content Library, not just the Smart Content tab. I also have the Filter by Context off, but still can't find it to use.

Is this a specific Apple Mac problem? Are any others here experiencing the same problem with Mac OS Sierra? Is there a way to solve the problem?

• These instructions seem so straightforward, until I open my own Documents | Daz 3D | Studio folders.  I have neither Content nor Runtime folders anywwhere.  ...and I've already purchased and installed several hundred dollards of Daz content through the DIM software.   It would be quite easy to mimic the 3rd party zip structure subdirectories and simply merge those subdirectories into the same name-sake subdirectories under my own Daz 3D structure......except there is no real Daz 3D structure to emulate...    please tell me why/how mine is so different from those being talked about on this help forum.    thxs.   see screen capture for my current structure....

DazStudioLibrary_1.jpg
    1361 x 752 - 81K
  • This has worked great for me for characters, but I have a bunch of freebie hair styles I'm trying to install and they don't seem to be working. Any ideas?

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917

I have a tutorial on my website which tells you how to get zipped Content into the Library.

• Does this work the same for third party morphs?

• I have neither Content nor Runtime folders anywwhere.

This is probably what's tripping you up, and don't worry too much, it's a very common problem. "The Content folder" is not a folder named "Content", it's the folder containing your content files. Check in your Content Directory Management dialog for the precise name and location of your current content settings (this should match the installation location settings in DIM). In this case, your Content folder appears to be your "My Library" folder.

It's a bit odd, though, that you don't have a visible Runtime folder inside "My Library" — and no apparent installed content either. It's possible you have an extra Content folder, and that's where DIM has been installing everything. Can you post a screenshot of your Content Directory Management dialog, with the DAZ Studio and Poser sections opened to show the content folder settings?

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

DIM defaults to a "My DAZ 3D Library" in Public Documents.

• I'm using DAZ 4.10 on a Mac and I can't seem to figure out how to get my 3rd party files such as clothing from renderosity to show up in the program. I believe I've got the placement figured out in the finder level and the folders show up in DAZ, but not the actual content. There's nothing to click on and no visual representation. I'm thinking it's a format issue from when the files get unzipped but I'm honestly not sure. They show up on the finder level in the folder as png, pz2, cr2, and obj as well as Jpgs. There are not a lot of tutorials or information for Macs. Any advice or information would be appreciated. Thanks. - D 

• DMaxDMax Posts: 637

@BeeMKay Thanks for the detailed guide! I will check it out after I receive my new PC next week during which time I intend to reinstall e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g and leave my Mac in the dust.