Issue with UV & Paint

I am attempting to make a morph for Gen 3 Female using Studio/Hexagon, however no matter how many times I import G3F into Hexagon using "Send to Hex" via Studio, I cannot use any of the UV & Paint brushes (Displacement, Bump, etc) to make the morphs.  I get the Error and asked to Validate what was done (which was nothing).  Now, I exported an object file of G3F and imported it into Hexagon and no issues using anything in UV & Paint, but using the bridge to send it to Studio afterwards and using Morph Loader Pro does make a morph, but it's completely broken and sends shards of polys all over the place.

Is there something with G3F that makes UV & Paint not work with her in Hexagon, or is something missing here?

I am using Studio 4.8 (the latest version) as well as Hexagon 2 (The latest updated-uninstalled and reinstalled to be sure).

I have tried an obj file I sculpted in Sculptris and imported via Morph Loader Pro to make a morph and get the same issues- broken mesh and shards of polys everywhere.

Thanks, Dar

Comments

• When I read through the manual, the UV & Paint sculpting tools were discussed in terms of making bump maps and displacement maps.  You should be fine making a morph if you just use the vertex manipulation tools for modifying the vertices.  In particular, you will want to understand how soft selection works for modifying clumps of vertices.

You might be able to make a morph if you stick entirely to the displacement tool, but all my attempts at doing this resulted in internal errors in Hexagon.  (Whenever an application reports an internal error, that's a good time to save any existing work to a new file, close the application and start fresh.)  So I'm surprised you got it to do anything at all.

Basically the UV & Paint tools were designed in Hexagon for creating bump and displacement maps, not for creating morphs.  While I see it as a reasonable request to use these tools for making morphs, it doesn't appear that's what they had in mind with the Hexagon bridge.  Stick to soft selection and the vertex modeling tools and you should be fine.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited July 2015

My 2 cents.

normally can use.png
    879 x 408 - 80K
    Post edited by patience55 on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026

it's completely broken and sends shards of polys all over the place.

Sounds like the vertex order changed when you created your morph then.

• My 2 cents.

Yeah, I was expecting it to work for small models, but every attempt gave me an internal error.  It seems to be so fussy that it's not worth bothering with it for making morphs.

Darwins Mishap(s) also posted this here: Forum link and appears to have solved the problem by removing all the clothes, etc.

Sometimes I get the "internal error" messages, sometimes I don't. If I work on any model long enough they usually start happening. One thing to be careful of are the "seams". Stay clear of morphing over "seams", seams being ANY break for the uvmaps which INCLUES the borders for Shading Domains.

• MorkonanMorkonan Posts: 215

It has been a long while since I trod these boards...

Anyway, I was browsing and came across this thread and saw the mention of vertice reordering by Hexagon. Yes, Hexagon will reorder vertices and there are a few ways to fix that. Either you can use a workflow that preserves the vertice order, or records it and reapplies it after you're done, or you can use this python script:

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/index.php?thread_id=2704761

Follow the instructions in the thread. Right-click on the little ".doc" file, save it, then rename it as a .py file, which will make it into a python script file. When you execute it, either from within Poser or using Python, you will first be asked to point to the "original object" you were making a morph for. Then, you'll be asked to point to the new, "morphed," object. Lastly, you'll be prompted to save your reordered object.

This script does not work across groups! So, you will have to export each individual group as a separate object. Import each to the correct group as a morph for your multi-grouped figure. If you get the effect of the group getting "blown apart" then that means that you have vertice reordering problem and need to use this script to correct the morph target's vertice order. Do this process with each group you have created a morph for.

edited October 2015
    Morkonan said:

It has been a long while since I trod these boards...

Anyway, I was browsing and came across this thread and saw the mention of vertice reordering by Hexagon. Yes, Hexagon will reorder vertices and there are a few ways to fix that. Either you can use a workflow that preserves the vertice order, or records it and reapplies it after you're done, or you can use this python script:

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/index.php?thread_id=2704761

Follow the instructions in the thread. Right-click on the little ".doc" file, save it, then rename it as a .py file, which will make it into a python script file. When you execute it, either from within Poser or using Python, you will first be asked to point to the "original object" you were making a morph for. Then, you'll be asked to point to the new, "morphed," object. Lastly, you'll be prompted to save your reordered object.

This script does not work across groups! So, you will have to export each individual group as a separate object. Import each to the correct group as a morph for your multi-grouped figure. If you get the effect of the group getting "blown apart" then that means that you have vertice reordering problem and need to use this script to correct the morph target's vertice order. Do this process with each group you have created a morph for.

Thanks for the HU on this. I don't normally use Poser but will look into this script :-)

script links are 404 ... quite old maybe not working for this edition of Hexagon?

I actually tried to use Hexagon to "paint" ... hehehehe ... Ctrl + Alt + Del  then to get the computer back. Hexagon no want to paint Genesis 3, sigh. Got some other strange messages for it too so it really doesn't appear to care for these newer figures [G3].

Post edited by patience55 on
    edited November 2015

Sorry for the delay.

I have uploaded the file, here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=05528463727477428486

I'll stick it on my ShareCG page when I get a chance, since it's a critical utility to have if you're making morphs in Hexagon.

To use it, download it and place it in your runtime/python/poserscripts directory (or anywhere, if you're executing it outside of Poser - It does not rely on Poser for anything.) and rename the .txt extension to .py Then, run it with Python and, first, select the original object, then the morphed object, then where you want to save the corrected object. (You can overwrite the corrupted morphed object if you wish.)

The file is freely distributable and all copyright permissions are enclosed with the script, itself. (Open it in an editor to view, if there is any concern.)

Note: It will only work on single objects with one group. It will not correct reordered vertices across mutliple groups! So, if you make a morph for V4, for instance, and her legs/chest/arms are borked up, then you have to export each one of those groups and reorder them, using the script, indiidually. But, the script works flawlessly.

PS: Renderosity just changed its forum layout, once again, and borked the crap out of all the files that were hosted on the forum using the .txt "hack" it seems. :/

Post edited by Morkonan on

Thank you, downloaded :-)

Great! Post back if you have any questions.