Daz adds unwanted faces ...

I work currently on a crescent moon object and in Hexagon it looks good, but when I send it to DAZ, Daz added some more faces and the moon looks like a cutted cylinder. I've created the moon crescent out of a bottom of a closed cylinder, have copied and paste that plane, scaled it down and use a boolen operation to cut the cresent out of the round platre. then i have thickned the whole object and weld the points in the inside curve.

Has anyone please an idea????

Thanks for your help in advance!!!

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Both side faces are n-gons (facets with more than 4 edges), which is not good modelling practice and which Daz Studio and Poser can't read correctly.  Select your mesh and god to Utilities -> Triangulate N-gons.  That will make it readable for Studio - you may get rendering artifacts due to long thin triangles.  Correct modelling practice is to stick to quads as far as possible, with the occasional triangle where absolutely necessary, but preferably on a flat surface or where it won't make a difference in the render.

• RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850

Thanks the hint with the n-gons was good. I have connected each point of the topedges with the opoints of the inner curve. Then I have subdivide the object with level 2 and send it to DAZ again. Now it looks like I want it.

• I might be wrong, but looking at your second image I get the feeling your Normals are facing the wrong way. 

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited October 2015

I might be wrong, but looking at your second image I get the feeling your Normals are facing the wrong way.  You also have a Def Surf Mat, so you have not set the material for it.

Sorry, double post - I wish there was a delete post option :(

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on

Sorry, I made the screenshot after I've added the Iray Shaders to the crescent. All faces are in right direction and after import to DAZ white.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Glad it worked for you :)

• Glad to hear I was wrong. Did you fix the Def Serf Mat error ?

Glad to hear I was wrong. Did you fix the Def Serf Mat error ?

Ääähhhh ... noooo???? Is that an error? I have this always in my surfaces, when i send a object from Hexagon to DAz, but didn't know, that it was a error? Thank you very much for hint. How can I fix it?

• There are a couple reasons for it happening, for me it is when I do not assign a material to an object. This is normally when I have grouped things together and I forget to do it.

Not a fix but a workflow -

1. Create an object.

2. UVmap it.

3. Assign a material (maybe a shading domain as well, depends what you are making).

Some objects do not need to be UVmapped, but I think its best to get into the habbit of doing it.