New Release: Genesis Generation X2 (upgrade ends soon) [Commercial]

Comments

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

The Genesis3 add-on for GenX2 will be a new product that you will have to purchase to transfer morphs from/to Genesis 3. Any other required changes in other add-ons or the GenX2 plugin itself will be free updates.

Sounds reasonable to me ........just saying ...........

• D3D - you rock! Patiently awaiting new version. cool

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,247
    edited August 2015

Will this be like with Autofit? First transfer to Genesis 2 and then transfer to Genesis 3? Or will it be possible to transfer directly to Genesis 3 from either Genesis 1 or gen3-4?

Post edited by JOdel on
  • Mr BowenMr Bowen Posts: 377
    edited August 2015

Ah. I see what you mean now. Not a stand alone but an add-on. Cool! I hope it can capture more detail than the Legacies products. They don't quite capture the full details of the original shapes despite the z-brush work. Is this a limitation that can't be avoided? Though, that can be good when blending them with G3 characters and one wanted to have more g3 character fine details showing. Thank you for the upcoming add-on. A definite must buy.

Post edited by Mr Bowen on
  • Mr BowenMr Bowen Posts: 377

Also, will it be possible to transfer Genesis and 4th generation morphs to Genesis 3 with the add on? My GenX2 doesn't have the V4/M4 source listed after The GenX 2 update. I just noticed because I haven't used it in a while. Also, will the transfer possibly be smoother? Hitmoi, for instance, had quile a few noticable wripples/lumps when transferred.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,935
    Mr Bowen said:

I hope it can capture more detail than the Legacies products. They don't quite capture the full details of the original shapes despite the z-brush work. Is this a limitation that can't be avoided?

G3F has less polygons than her predecessors, so there will always be some details lost.

• The add-on for Genesis 3 will work with all figures that are already supported as source or target figures by GenX. So, DAZ generation 3 or 4 to Genesis 3, or Genesis 3 to Genesis 1, everything should be possible. At least, that's the plan.

There will be direct transfer between all figures supported by GenX. Any intermediary steps that may be necessary for technical reasons are done by GenX internally.

Poser figures (V4/M4) as sources are loaded from the content library. They are listed under the Source button only as a most recent used list. The recent update did not remove any features.

As before, automated morph transfer will have its limitations, so I would not expect better results compared to manually crafted morphs. Differences in the mesh inevitably will cause some loss of detail and smoothness.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited August 2015

Will there be an update to the manual to make it a little more comprehensive with clearer instruction on how to use the products...maybe a step by step on how to transfer individual morphs and one complete morph. there have been so many questions on how to accomplish different transfers.

and hopefully a better transfer of A3/V3 eye morphs on the Thorne characters please?

Post edited by Kharma on
  • The manual already includes a quickstart section that describes the steps for the two typical use cases: transferring the full range of morphs with all dependencies, and transferring a character morph as a single morph. So, I'm not sure what I could change there except using more words just telling the same again. Without knowing where comprehensiveness may be lacking, I can't address this.

The problem with eye "morphs" is that some character poses inject and set morph values directly, and also adjust the eye position directly. But GenX only transfers morphs and position adjustments that are controlled by the morph dials. If the position or scaling adjustments are just part of the pose, GenX can't transfer them. (Technical, it might be possible, but it would be impossible to decide if everything set in a character pose is really part of the character and should be transferred.) The workaround is to use the presets tab and convert the pose for the eye adjustment into a preset there. (Simply use the character pose in the original figure and reset the morphs. If the eyes no longer fit then, the adjustment is done directly.)

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

I also just started to use GenX2.  I want to transfer a Genesis Character to a Genesis 2 Female but it's not working. 

Here's my steps:
    Source: Genesis
    Load Figure:  I dragged the icon for the desired character into the Transfer tab.  I  opened up the regions and saw that there were numerical values there.
    Mode: Create Single Morph.
    Target: Genesis 2 Female
    Transfer: On for All Non-Zero Values
    Output Folder: Where I want the morph to go.  [picture: GenX Screen 01]
    In Morph Properties:  I named my morph and chose the same icon as the original. 
    Accept.  [picture: GenX Screen 02]

I loaded Victoria 6, when to my desginated folder, found my new icon and tried to load the morph, and nothing happened.  Under Shaping, Actor, Generation X, People, the only icon available is the standard Genesis morph.   [picture: GenX Screen 03]

So, what did I do wrong?

GenX Screen 01.jpg
    676 x 716 - 110K
    GenX Screen 02.jpg
    402 x 348 - 39K
    GenX Screen 03.jpg
    348 x 232 - 17K
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808
    edited September 2015
    dracorn said:

I also just started to use GenX2.  I want to transfer a Genesis Character to a Genesis 2 Female but it's not working. 

Here's my steps:
    Source: Genesis
    Load Figure:  I dragged the icon for the desired character into the Transfer tab.  I  opened up the regions and saw that there were numerical values there.
    Mode: Create Single Morph.
    Target: Genesis 2 Female
    Transfer: On for All Non-Zero Values
    Output Folder: Where I want the morph to go.  [picture: GenX Screen 01]
    In Morph Properties:  I named my morph and chose the same icon as the original. 
    Accept.  [picture: GenX Screen 02]

I loaded Victoria 6, when to my desginated folder, found my new icon and tried to load the morph, and nothing happened.  Under Shaping, Actor, Generation X, People, the only icon available is the standard Genesis morph.   [picture: GenX Screen 03]

So, what did I do wrong?

You didn't do anything wrong, exactly, but the two steps highlighted in bold, above, are parts of different processes.

What you did was to make a morph slider instead of a preset. "Create Single Morph" doesn't make a preset or use a folder. If you want a clickable preset, you need to use the "create preset" option, which will put a file in your desired directory. (I have no idea wht it actually put in your directory -- with "create single morph", it shouldn't have put anything there.)

If you put an unmorphed Genesis 2 Female into your scene, go to the Parameters tab, click on "All", then type in the name of your morph, it should appear. You can then activate it by sliding it so that as much of your morph appears as you want.

All that said ... I've found transfers from Genesis to Genesis 2 to be periodically really ... finnicky, for lack of a better word. You may discover that it transferred a morph that doesn't seem to work. If that's the case, you need to put a fully morphed Genesis figure into an empty scene, bring up GenX2, choose "Get values from figure in scene", followed by "All: Transfer non-zero values". I don't know why it sometimes needs to work that way, but it does.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    vwrangler said:
    dracorn said:

All that said ... I've found transfers from Genesis to Genesis 2 to be periodically really ... finnicky, for lack of a better word. You may discover that it transferred a morph that doesn't seem to work. If that's the case, you need to put a fully morphed Genesis figure into an empty scene, bring up GenX2, choose "Get values from figure in scene", followed by "All: Transfer non-zero values". I don't know why it sometimes needs to work that way, but it does.

Ah Ha!  Thank you!.  I followed your suggestion (bolded above) and it worked.  A slider is just fine with me thanks!

• BoorsmanBoorsman Posts: 233

I don't know if this was posted earlier or not.  I can't transfer any morphs from G2M to G2F.  Whenever I do I get this error, 

GenX - Transferring morphs.
    Loading target figure ...
    Loading figure ...
    C:/Users/Tim/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Female/Genesis2Female.dsf
    Creating clone morph ...
    Error creating morph from clone.  

I can however transfer from G2F to G2M.  

• Most likely, this happens because GenX can't locate the following file:

data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Base/CloneGenesis2Male.dsf

Check your Genesis 2 Female installation if it has this file and if there is only one data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Female/ in your content folders. If it's missing, you need to reinstall G2F. If there are multiple folders, merge them into one.

• talihawktalihawk Posts: 86
    edited October 2015

Post edited by talihawk on
  • VhardamisVhardamis Posts: 576

For anyone who is just learning to use GenX2 or is having to fuss with it in 4.8 I fould this user written Tute to be useful. It contains  both a text version and a screen cap version.

http://childe-of-fyre.deviantart.com/art/COF-GenX-Tutorial-565415231

• I just wanted to say, first of all, that I really appreciate you having made this plugin and being willing to let us all enjoy it. It's actually been a huge lifesaver for someone like me, who needs consistency across the figures due to storyline rendering. So, thank you!

And second, thank you for being so on top of the ball and keeping the product updated. I can't tell you how invaluable being able to transfer stuff back and forth between the figures has been for me! Thank you again! An update to support the G3 might make her actually usable for me! 

The Genesis3 add-on for GenX2 will be a new product that you will have to purchase to transfer morphs from/to Genesis 3. Any other required changes in other add-ons or the GenX2 plugin itself will be free updates.

• edited October 2015

I just wanted to mention, that I also did cross-post the tutorial to both my website and ShareCG when I released it. I was debating whether or not to just make a post in the Freepozitory here, but since it's been mentioned, and it applies most to this thread's topic, I'll just drop the other links in here as well.

I wrote the tutorial at the request of a DeviantArt friend who was having some difficulty working with the plugin. So, please understand that what's in the tut is written from my own experience and observations. I don't claim to know everything there is to know about the plugin - that would be it's wonderful vendor up there. :) I just wrote it from my point of view and in my own personal workflow. I covered transfers from Gen3/4 to Genesis or G2's, along with the (sometimes) needed .cr2 export. I also covered transferring from Genesis to the G2's and from the G2's to Genesis, as well as transferring individual morph dials between figures.

It comes in two formats -
    1) A screenshot/image version - this is more basic, direct, to-the-point
    2) a written .rtf document - this is much more extensive and contains a bunch of notes and tips/tricks from my own personal experience working with the plugin. The written document might take you a while to sift through, so take it at your own pace, as there's a lot of text in there. This document got so long because I was really trying to approach the subject with the viewpoint of an end user who has just bought it and has never worked with the plugin before... thus I was trying to make sure I covered *everything* I knew of, and didn't leave things up to assumption.

Both formats are contained within the zip file (just under 6mbs). So, choose the one that works best with your own personal learning style. 

I almost didn't release the tutorial publically. But when I realized that the plugin had been recently in the FastGrab category, I thought it might be helpful for folks, so I put it up to the general public once I finished it. I actually spent about two weeks working on it, all told. (I am highly distractable, sadly. LOL)

Anyway - aside from the DeviantArt link that Vhardamis mentioned, you can also, if you prefer, get it from either ShareCG or my own website, and those links are here :

Website (NO login required) : 
    Click on "Tutorials" under the LEFT HAND side navigation menu. You'll see the thumbnail for it right there. Download is at the bottom of the page.
    http://www.childeoffyre.com/v2/home.html ;

ShareCG (requires login to download) :
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/82334/view/3/Text-Entry-Tutorial/COF-GenX-Plugin-Tutorial

And obviously, the DeviantArt link is below in the quote here :

Vhardamis said:

For anyone who is just learning to use GenX2 or is having to fuss with it in 4.8 I fould this user written Tute to be useful. It contains  both a text version and a screen cap version.

Post edited by Seliah (Childe of Fyre) on
  • I just wanted to mention, that I also did cross-post the tutorial to both my website and ShareCG when I released it. I was debating whether or not to just make a post in the Freepozitory here, but since it's been mentioned, and it applies most to this thread's topic, I'll just drop the other links in here as well.

I wrote the tutorial at the request of a DeviantArt friend who was having some difficulty working with the plugin. So, please understand that what's in the tut is written from my own experience and observations. I don't claim to know everything there is to know about the plugin - that would be it's wonderful vendor up there. :) I just wrote it from my point of view and in my own personal workflow. I covered transfers from Gen3/4 to Genesis or G2's, along with the (sometimes) needed .cr2 export. I also covered transferring from Genesis to the G2's and from the G2's to Genesis, as well as transferring individual morph dials between figures.

It comes in two formats -
    1) A screenshot/image version - this is more basic, direct, to-the-point
    2) a written .rtf document - this is much more extensive and contains a bunch of notes and tips/tricks from my own personal experience working with the plugin. The written document might take you a while to sift through, so take it at your own pace, as there's a lot of text in there. This document got so long because I was really trying to approach the subject with the viewpoint of an end user who has just bought it and has never worked with the plugin before... thus I was trying to make sure I covered *everything* I knew of, and didn't leave things up to assumption.

Both formats are contained within the zip file (just under 6mbs). So, choose the one that works best with your own personal learning style. 

I almost didn't release the tutorial publically. But when I realized that the plugin had been recently in the FastGrab category, I thought it might be helpful for folks, so I put it up to the general public once I finished it. I actually spent about two weeks working on it, all told. (I am highly distractable, sadly. LOL)

Anyway - aside from the DeviantArt link that Vhardamis mentioned, you can also, if you prefer, get it from either ShareCG or my own website, and those links are here :

Website (NO login required) : 
    Click on "Tutorials" under the LEFT HAND side navigation menu. You'll see the thumbnail for it right there. Download is at the bottom of the page.
    http://www.childeoffyre.com/v2/home.html ;

ShareCG (requires login to download) :
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/82334/view/3/Text-Entry-Tutorial/COF-GenX-Plugin-Tutorial

And obviously, the DeviantArt link is below in the quote here :

Vhardamis said:

Thank you for the tutorials. If anyone is interested, I created PDF versions.

They are over at ShareCG:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/82453/view/3/PDF-Tutorial/GenX-Plugin-Tutorial

• edited October 2015

Thank you for the tutorials. If anyone is interested, I created PDF versions.

They are over at ShareCG:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/82453/view/3/PDF-Tutorial/GenX-Plugin-Tutorial

Thanks for doing the .pdf conversion! I've updated my DeviantArt and ShareCG links to send folks your way if they prefer that version. I'll update the website link soon as well.

Thank you again. :)

Post edited by Seliah (Childe of Fyre) on
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745

Is there a trick to using GenX2 with DS 4.9 Beta?  I can still use it in 4.8, but 4.9B doesn't even seem to see the plugin, let alone display a GenX pane.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

It only works with the general release.

• Is there a trick to using GenX2 with DS 4.9 Beta?  I can still use it in 4.8, but 4.9B doesn't even seem to see the plugin, let alone display a GenX pane.

Copy the d3dGenX2.dll from the plugins directory in General release and paste it into the plugins directory of the beta. Also copy the GenX2 folder in C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 and paste it into C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 Public Beta.

It's best to use it with the General Release, so do the above at your own risk :)

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

Yeah, for now I just pop into 4.8 to do any transfers and then go back to 4.9 to use them.

Any ETA on the new version for G3 ?

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited November 2015

Speaking of ETA- Might want to consider changing the thread title- "upgrade ends soon" has been finished for over a year and three months. Looking forward to the next version!

Update on June 18, 2014:

The 66% upgrade pricing for Genesis Generation X2 will end on August 15th, 2014. If you own version 1 of Genesis Generation X and intend to get version 2, please do so before the upgrade coupon expires on August 15th, 2014.

Post edited by Novica on
  • I'm currently working on software upgrades to support Poser 11, Genesis 3 for GenX will be next.

Awesome!  thanks for the news :)

• **waiting with bated breath for Gen3X or whatever it's called!**

--MW

• SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765

**waiting with bated breath for Gen3X or whatever it's called!**

--MW

Me too! It'll be the release of the year for me. Then hopefully someone will release a G2 to G3 skin converter. All my xmas's come at once!