Looks like Hexagon is not going to be updated ... Shade is here

Sniff, sniff, sniff - I wanted a 64bit Hexagon ...

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796
    edited August 2015

Curvy 3D and another 3D modeller I do not recall the name have long been in the store so see no threat, all third party on sells, DAZ own Hexagon, yeah wish they would give it some love or at least integrate its extra tools into Carrara.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Kerya said:

Sniff, sniff, sniff - I wanted a 64bit Hexagon ...

Oh there's no way that will happen and we knew that for several months now.

$300+ is kind of expensive for a package I've never heard of.  I will acknowledge that I could just be ignorant, ha.  So I will investigate this product as I would anything new that comes up.  But for me to bite, Shade is going to need a lot of somethings not present in Blender, because Blender is free.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

I had never heard of it either, but apparently it is one of the oldest 3D packages around, originally designed for the Mac in Japan in the late 1980s.  Here's an old article I found about about it: http://architosh.com/2013/09/japan-shade-14-version/

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732

Shade 3D has been around for a very long time. A few years ago the had a give away for Shade 8-9. The program is relatively easy to use and modules can easily be added. It is credited for a few Saturday morning cartoons if I recall.

• pmingpming Posts: 44

Hiya!

Yeah, I remember looking into Shade3d waaaaay back when it was around version 1 or 2.

Anyway...as that was a long time ago, I'm willing to give it a test drive. Waiting on my "trial request" from www.shade3d.jp/en/ right now.

All that said... HIGHLY unlikely to buy. It would have to blow me away for me to buy it and start using it over MODO Indi, Lightwave, Silo, ZBrush and Hexagon. 

^_^

Paul L. Ming

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Lets not forget Nvil - probably the most advanced stand-alone modeler for under $100.  It has a limited free version.

• mach25mach25 Posts: 256

thats very sad

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

As said in other threads.  Shade has entered the store as a re-seller item.  There are several other programs in the store like this. Because Daz 3D agrees to allow them to sell from this store it doesn't mean it is replacing anything.

• I for one am still sticking with Hexagon, it works for me and I'm happy with it so why change :) 

• i am still using hexagon, and for as long as it works on my computer and with whatever the current version of daz is (with daz bridge for hex) i will use hex for morphs if nothing else. Hex may be old, but it has most of what I need for simple models and morphs.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

i am still using hexagon, and for as long as it works on my computer and with whatever the current version of daz is (with daz bridge for hex) i will use hex for morphs if nothing else. Hex may be old, but it has most of what I need for simple models and morphs.

You and quite a few PA's actually. It is still a primary modeler or secondary modeler for a good dozen that I know of. I would love to see where Subtropic Pixel got information about the future of Hex that has not been given to the PA's. As far as I am aware there has never been a decision to never go back to it and do some fixes. That said the dev staff has had very full plates for a good while and will continue to have them for the forseable future.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    Khory said:
    ... I would love to see where Subtropic Pixel got information about the future of Hex that has not been given to the PA's. ..

Not never, but not in the foreseeable future - it's in one of the DS Creative mags ... an interview with a DAZ person 

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/61938/ds-creative-the-magazine-for-daz-studio-users 

• edited September 2015

deleted

Post edited by jon.bodsworth_1840a66e69 on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2015

PAs are what dazsphere calls the Published Artists here on the store. The content creators.

Actually I think they changed it to Premier Artists, but whatever, you get my point. The content creators. Prolific Artisans. whatever.

Content Creators.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473

If you check some of the other posts in the DAZ forums, a few of the DAZ staff have stated, there are plans for HEX. It's not going away

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    So uh um where does one volunteer to beta test Hexagon!? :D
    Skiriki said:

Well first of all you would need to be very, very experienced in using the program. ie know it back to front, inside out and upside down as well. Software testing o the private betas is very rigorous.

Does it count if I can use it without having more than a couple of crashes per night? Wait, wouldn't y'guys want someone who tries something blindly and manages to find a pattern to crashing? I can do that too! Just ask Alessandro! :D

Well you could tryy contacting Daz 3d, by filing a ticket to Tech Support. But do remember that Beta testing is covered by strict NDA, and that includes telling anyone that you are beta testing or have been turned down for beta testing.

Yup, I grok that.

That does seem to be great news - any idea of the dates on those pages?

• Sky HndxSky Hndx Posts: 142

My skill level needs to be updated more than Hexagon right now so until then I'm sticking with it and most likely afterward. 

.....we've been through so much together.  *sniff  

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Chohole said:
    Skiriki said:

Well first of all you would need to be very, very experienced in using the program. ie know it back to front, inside out and upside down as well. Software testing o the private betas is very rigorous.

Folks who don't know what they're doing have a very good chance of 'breaking something' as they don't know they can't do something. It is always a good idea for beta testers to include a couple not used to the software, but it helps if they either have experience of software testing, or knowledge of the style of software.

It is always a good idea for beta testers to include a couple not used to the software, but it helps if they either have experience of software testing, or knowledge of the style of software.

That part comes in when Daz does an open Beta phase - then we get to see some fun:) 

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    Roygee said:

It is always a good idea for beta testers to include a couple not used to the software, but it helps if they either have experience of software testing, or knowledge of the style of software.

That part comes in when Daz does an open Beta phase - then we get to see some fun:) 

Exactly and looking forward ... need that uv communication between D/S and Hexagon cleared up.

• maxoHmaxoH Posts: 3

I find UVs a nightmare anyway but they usualy end up somewhere - normaly (for me) the hexbridge temp file - diffuse at least I've no idea where the bumps end up...

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    maxoH said:

I find UVs a nightmare anyway but they usualy end up somewhere - normaly (for me) the hexbridge temp file - diffuse at least I've no idea where the bumps end up...

UVs are part of the .obj file. It's the texture images that Hexagon loses in the temp folders it doesn't know where it put them ;-)

• maxoHmaxoH Posts: 3

Sorry - clumsy language!