Carrara Challenge #19: Above and Beyond - WIP Thread

Comments

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Well here is a test render using Fog in stead of clouds. I have a red Fog and a blue fog.

Pulled the Klingon ship from ShareCG.

Background is Starry Sky.

test of Nebula.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 343K
    edited August 2015

Duplicate post

Post edited by chickenman on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,812

Some great work going on with this challenge..

Thank god it's Friday.. Gave me time to put together a drone of sorts and put it into a Stonemason scene

'The Watchers'...... eeeeek!

Rendered no Postwork..

Modelled the drone

used Stonemason's Streets of Old London

PhilW's Night & Day city props

edited August 2015

Playing around this arvo with the theme :-)

J2.jpg
    900 x 482 - 268K
    J2_WiP2.jpg
    900 x 482 - 329K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

Greetings and good wishes, Stezza! 

I am always amazed at how quickly you can model stuff and assemble a beautiful scene.  Great ideas. I am on vacation and we actually had someone fly a drone up to our balcony and hover there.  If I'd had a good projectile, I would have taken it out.  We need a set of manners/conventions for the drones - fast.

Great to see you.

• Good work everybody so far yes

Here it is what I believe is gonna be my final entry ...

Below are Carrara and Fusion screenshots and final render (in color, lol) smiley

BeyondCarrara.jpg
    1555 x 875 - 353K
    BeyondFusion.jpg
    1555 x 875 - 357K
    AboveAndBeyond.jpg
    1728 x 742 - 408K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040

Well here is a test render using Fog in stead of clouds. I have a red Fog and a blue fog.

Pulled the Klingon ship from ShareCG.

Background is Starry Sky.

That looks very nice! I should note that the fog primitive and the volumetric clouds are very different animals. The volumetric clouds react to light and the fog doesn't, which is why it renders faster than the clouds. This isn't saying not to use the fog, as it looks great in your image. It's just meant to point out the differences.

Fog also lets you put in swirls  and other items.

i am going to try the clouds now and maybe combine both for an image.

• Here is a mandatory (lol) black&white version in 1080p smiley

AboveAndBeyondBW.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 458K

Here is anouther test moving the ship further back into the fog banks and added a Cardasian Galor Ship for some forground intrest.

Nebula Test 2.jpg
    4000 x 2000 - 2M
  • FifthElementFifthElement Posts: 569
    edited August 2015

I'm finally done. Some minor adjustments on previous version ...

Here is my entry, good luck everyone smiley

AboveAndBeyondHD.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 454K
    Post edited by FifthElement on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

@FifthElement - this is a totally awesome image - great work.  I'm jealous of your ability to model scifi stuff so well - this is exctly the kind of thing I want to do but am really struggling with.  If you don't mind one critique though - the character is so dark that she kind of blends in with the background and with the bright area/contrast drawing the eye so strongly to the ship in front of the planet on the left I actually did not notice there was a character in the scene at first, Maybe adding an additional light to seperate her out a little might help?  Unless you wanted her to be well camoflaged, in which case nice job. ;)

• FifthElementFifthElement Posts: 569
    edited August 2015

@ MDO2010

Of course I do not mind, thanks for the feedback, I really appriciate it.

Yes, she was meant to be more in the shadow and, no, she was not meant to be blended so "well", it is what it is for now, lol, unfortunatelly I have no time to work on this at the moment, I have to pack my rendering machine cuz I'm in the middle of moving, so I will not be able to do any changes on it for like a month, thanks again smiley

P.S.

I do have different gamma setting version of the image, but I opted for the other one for some reason, I guess I like darker images more blush

AboveAndBeyondGamma.jpg
    1555 x 668 - 460K
    Post edited by FifthElement on
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574

My flyer is starting to take shape. I have to admitt that I was beeing influenced by Stezza's drones over London.

The pilot is Michael 4, with a flightsuit from this store. If I get the time, I will replace him with Lorenzo Lowrez, but then I'll have to make him a flightsuit.

Doc4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 62K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    Varsel said:

My flyer is starting to take shape. I have to admitt that I was beeing influenced by Stezza's drones over London.

The pilot is Michael 4, with a flightsuit from this store. If I get the time, I will replace him with Lorenzo Lowrez, but then I'll have to make him a flightsuit.

cool model yes

Varsel said:

Looking good.

I have been playing with My render (shaders and lights) and might be able to get anouther wip up tonight.

Have a thought for a second one.

diomede said:

Greetings and good wishes, Stezza! 

I am always amazed at how quickly you can model stuff and assemble a beautiful scene.  Great ideas. I am on vacation and we actually had someone fly a drone up to our balcony and hover there.  If I'd had a good projectile, I would have taken it out.  We need a set of manners/conventions for the drones - fast.

Great to see you.

Thanks Diomede..

check out this drone getting a wedgie smiley

Varsel said:

looking great Varsel...  yes

Great image.. and I love how the thumbnail looks like a giant kiwi is there yes

edited August 2015

Here is some further work on this one. Almost done.

ds9 scene.jpg
    4000 x 3000 - 2M
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,754

Great work by everyone.

Start by me, going retro for this entry.

Cierva.png
    1361 x 774 - 462K
    Cierva.png
    1361 x 774 - 462K

Just got a couple of M4's to add and maybe some extra Volumetric clouds.

Cierva b.png
    1364 x 772 - 404K

Went for the Dummy Pilot WW2 from ShareCG instead of M4. First time for using Volumetric Clouds in a render.

Final render.

Cierva c.png
    1950 x 1463 - 1M
    Bunyip02 said:

Went for the Dummy Pilot WW2 from ShareCG instead of M4. First time for using Volumetric Clouds in a render.

Final render.

Looking good

Bunyip02 said:

Final render.

Looking good

Thanks Chickenman

Now for a second entry (WIP):-

MilDragon3 duo.png
    1361 x 774 - 536K
    MilDragon3 duo.png
    1361 x 774 - 536K

WIP Number-2

Dragons.png
    1950 x 1463 - 1M
    Dragons.png
    1950 x 1463 - 1M

Final Render No.2

Dragons c.jpg
    1950 x 1463 - 1M
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited August 2015

I am really enjoying what everyone is putting together.  Glad someone finally stepped up and used some dragons.  Nice one, Bunyip.  And that video of the eagle taking out the drone really made my day, Stezza.

I don't have a solid second idea yet.  I'm still doodling.  But here is one concept I played around with today.  I remember a metaball technique to create a storm in a previous challenge (Kashyyk?).  I sort of adapted that to create a frame for a replicated tornado.  And what would a tornado be without the Gale's house?  I think it needs a woman (who hates dogs named toto) on a bicycle up in the tornado as well.

Step 1 - insert a metaball object and create a few spheres within the same object.

Step 2 - use the modifier tab to apply the black hole to the metaball  (adjust metaballs and black hole modifier until desired effect)

Step 3 - duplicate metaball black hole, move vertically, and increase scale (maybe rotate) to increase shape vertically  (repeat if desired)

Step 4 - replicate small primitives with spiky modifier to simulate dust (gradient shader with lobal setting for noise) on metaball frame

Step 5 - uncheck visibility of the metaball frame leaving only the replicated dust in the tornado shape

Anyway, just doodling. 

metaball modeler.JPG
    1041 x 655 - 35K
    metaball modifier settings.JPG
    249 x 303 - 18K
    metaball black hole wip.JPG
    867 x 723 - 69K
    above beyond tornado question.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 152K
    Post edited by fixmypcmike on

Nice work everyone.

I have almost finished tweeking my first one. Just trying to get the wormhole effect closer to the TV show's.

Since Bunyip has used two concepts I had for my second Idea I may use my backup one to get Chickenman into a picture. don't wnt the ideas to close to each other.

Diomede

Now if you can only fit harpburg in the tornado you will be all set.

edited August 2015

Well i think i am about done with this one.

There are also screen shots of the fog set up so you can see it all. As well as the scene set up shots.

Now onto the next one.

DS 9 Fog 1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 458K
    DS 9 Fog 2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 476K
    DS 9 Fog 3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 459K
    ds9 Final.jpg
    4000 x 3000 - 514K