Best practices? using genesis and genesis 2 content in Carrara

Comments

• CoolBreezeCoolBreeze Posts: 207
    edited August 2015

Ok, My bad, yeah I'll go through those and list which clothing items I used. Sometimes its hard for me to identify what sets they are from - been using the Categories group in the Smart Content browser tab.

Issue #1: 

* Update: Just tried re-importing the scene today, still same results

• Morphed and Clothed in Studio, saved as Scene Subset, imported into Carrara
    • Future Cop - either V4 or Genesis 1 (apparently i have both)
    • Paris Hair V3 - Converted via autofit
    • Jbag - Diana and Jones for G2 F & M (Luthbellina)
    • RazorZ Glasses - MechGirl G2F
    • Porsimo SMG RH
    • G2 Female w/ body morps:
      • Lin Body 1.0
      • - 100.0% (Abdomen1, Abdomen2, Chest, Left Collar, Left Elbow, Left Feet, Left hand, Left Knee, Left Shoulder, Left Thigh, Right Collar, Right Elbow, Right Feet, Right Hand, Right Knee, Right Shoulder, Right Thigh)
      • Aiko 6 Body .50
      • Body Tone .36
      • Edit 40.0%
      • Elisa 10.0%
      • Face Heart / Left / Right .31
      • Face Square / Left / Right -0.36
      • Grace 50.0%
      • Breast Cleavage 0.57
      • Breasts Heavy .21

Issue #2:

• Victoria 6
      • New scene in Carrara, dragged from browser into instances list
    • Jacket - Apocalyptica for G3F (Carrara didn't filter out G3 clothing even with Vic6 selecte)

* Update: Tried loading Victoria 6 today, loaded just fine, poses just fine, skeleton not detached.

Issue #3:

• Start new Carrara Scene
    • Drag M6 from Smart Content tab to Instances List
    • dragged clothing onto Genesis 2 Male figure (Above Actor)
    • Urban Metro Pants (wouldn't auto-fit)
    • Surf's Up Shirt (wouldn't auto-fit)
    • Jacket (wouldn't auto-fit)
    • Urban Metro Shoes (wouldn't auto-fit)
    • Yakuza Necklace (wouldn't auto-fit)
    • Began manually conforming clothing to Genesis 2 figure (Pants, Shirt, Jacket)
    • Carrara crashes at 97.0% Building Projection Morphs

* Update: Tried doing scene today, loaded Genesis 2 Male, then began to select clothing. Both Male and Female G2 as well as Genesis 1 clothing are showing in the smart content list. Selecting between Actor, Gensis 2 Male, and Scene won't refresh / reset the list to display Genesis 2 male clothing only...

Just to show you my Smart Content database isn't messed up, it shows just fine in Daz Studio. This is definately a Carrara issue...

Screenshot 2015-08-16 02.42.41.JPG
    2560 x 1438 - 762K
    Screenshot 2015-08-16 02.44.07.JPG
    2554 x 1430 - 779K
    Screenshot 2015-08-16 02.45.02.JPG
    2558 x 1438 - 755K
    Screenshot 2015-08-16 02.50.15.JPG
    2559 x 1437 - 380K
    Screenshot 2015-08-16 03.08.31.JPG
    648 x 488 - 107K
    Post edited by CoolBreeze on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    Jadeonar said:

* Update: Tried doing scene today, loaded Genesis 2 Male, then began to select clothing. Both Male and Female G2 as well as Genesis 1 clothing are showing in the smart content list. Selecting between Actor, Gensis 2 Male, and Scene won't refresh / reset the list to display Genesis 2 male clothing only...

Just to show you my Smart Content database isn't messed up, it shows just fine in Daz Studio. This is definately a Carrara issue...

If you select the ACTOR level  in the tree, just as in DS, you should get only the male clothing. I do.

It does takes a minute or two to refresh for me, but I do not have anywhere near  as many items as you in my whole wardrobe vs just the full-body category, so perhaps it will take much longer for your extensive wardrobe to refresh. I have just toggled back and forth once it refreshed, and all works fine. Maybe try again?

indecision Silene

Thats the thing, it should work just your saying, however Carrara gives me the same result nomatter which I select, hence the provided screenshots sad

Might just take a very long time, like 10 mins or so, to populate for you if you have hundreds or more items in your wardrobe categories. It may well be searching ALL wardrobe items. I have waited up to 5 mins  if I accidently click on all FILES at the top of the Content and fail to choose anything from the tree, I have to wait for every file I own that fits SC to come up. Takes ages and I don't have that much compared to others. So am very careful not to do that.  I also am using Valentina and I have not upgraded to the latest build of 8.5 Pro. Don't know if that matters.

I don't use SC to be honest as I cross-dress my characters. I just go to the file list by Product.  cheeky Silene

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited August 2015

Jadeonar said:

Issue #1: 

Issue #2:

Issue #3:

• Start new Carrara Scene
    • Drag M6 from Smart Content tab to Instances List
    • dragged clothing onto Genesis 2 Male figure (Above Actor)
    • Urban Metro Pants (wouldn't auto-fit)
    • Surf's Up Shirt (wouldn't auto-fit)
    • Jacket (wouldn't auto-fit)
    • Urban Metro Shoes (wouldn't auto-fit)
    • Yakuza Necklace (wouldn't auto-fit)
    • Began manually conforming clothing to Genesis 2 figure (Pants, Shirt, Jacket)
    • Carrara crashes at 97.0% Building Projection Morphs

I don't have all the items to try out issue 1 or 2 but I tried your exact steps with issue #3.  I got the same thing you did when loading them - dragging them onto the character loads and parents the items but does not auto-fit them, exactly as you said.  When I go through each item and manually set the "fit to" I did not get any hangs or crashes though.  The whole process took about 1 minute from dragging M6 into the instances to auto-fitting the last item with no issues.  

Here's a screenshot with all items conformed:

AutoFit_Test

I'm working on a Windows 7 laptop which is definitely not state-of-the-art so issue #3 at least appears to not be a Carrara issue but possibly something with your computer.  I know that doesn't help with your frustration much but at least we know it may be something fixable since Carrara does work correctly for that process on my computer.  Are you using the most recent version of Carrara?  I am using 8.5.1.19 PRO 64-bit for Windows.

I don't use the Smart Content much in either Carrara or DAZ Studio so I can't really speak to how it should work in either.  In Carrara I almost always use the Content tab to find things and if I do delve into the Smart Content tab I stick to the Products list and just search for things by name.  I just tried clicking on just the "files" line on the Smart Content tab and then selected various items to see what happens - if I click on the shirt or pants it does auto-refresh and just show things related to those.  It DOES also do this for M6 but it took about 30-40 seconds to refresh.  Just to clarify, are you saying that this is not what is happening for you, or is this not what is supposed to happen?

Smart Content Tab with G2M Selected (content refreshed in about 30-40 seconds after selection):

SmartContentG2M

Smart Content Tab with Surf's Up Shirt Selected (refreshed pretty much instantly):

SmartContentShirtSelected

One note, since I just looked more closely at your screenshot from DAZ Studio.  If you are looking for the same category breakdowns, select your main item (G2M, pants, whatever) and then on the Smart Content tab, expand Files, the expand Default and you will see the same category breakdown from studio.

My Smart Content Tab, with Genesis 2 Male selected in Instances showing just G2M items under Files/Default/Hair (just as an example):

SmartContent_FilesDefault

AutoFitTest.JPG
    1252 x 897 - 148K
    SmartContent_G2MSelected.JPG
    1273 x 561 - 155K
    SmartContent_SurfsUpShirtSelected.JPG
    1294 x 578 - 100K
    SmartContent_G2MSelected_FilesDefault.JPG
    1292 x 589 - 170K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    SileneUK said:

Might just take a very long time, like 10 mins or so, to populate for you if you have hundreds or more items in your wardrobe categories. It may well be searching ALL wardrobe items. I have waited up to 5 mins  if I accidently click on all FILES at the top of the Content and fail to choose anything from the tree, I have to wait for every file I own that fits SC to come up. Takes ages and I don't have that much compared to others. So am very careful not to do that.  I also am using Valentina and I have not upgraded to the latest build of 8.5 Pro. Don't know if that matters.

I don't use SC to be honest as I cross-dress my characters. I just go to the file list by Product.  cheeky Silene

Sorry Selene, I just repeated exactly what you said but in a LOT more words - I should have just said "what she said!" :)

It used to take ages for Smart Content to update for me too, but I have thousands of items in my library and with the latest version the Smart Content updates pretty much instantly for most items.  Even if I do something like select Genesis, which I have a ridiculous number of products for, and just Files without choosing any subcategory it will fully populate in under a minute.  If you and anyone wants to use Smart Content in Carrara it is definitely worth getting the latest version. :)

I'm using running Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, Carrara 8.5.1.19 Pro 64bit , PostgreSQL 64bit... My system is rock solid stable...

I'll try the Files grouping in the Smart Content tab...

I use seperate / multiple SSD's in my system, One for windows, another for all programs, one for my runtime content, another for my saved projects and documents. each on the 6gb/s Sata channel :

• Windows C: 256gb Samsung Pro
    • Apps D: Samsung 256gb Pro
    • Runtime E: Samsung Pro 512gb
    • Projects F: Samsung Evo 1TB

Loading content is about as good as it can get in Carrara, likewise, the Daz Content Database is lightning quick in Daz Studio.

I'll try using the File group in the smart content tab...

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

For me personally if I have a Genesis clothiing item that is not behaving correctly, I break it open in notepad to see if I can spot where it's 'wrong' in the script (by comparing it to another Genesis clothing item that works fine that I've also opened in notepad).  I think Studio is more 'forgiving' for bad writing/scripting, but Carrara is not.  Then resave it once correcting the item, and then saving as a Carrara object in my objects tab for future re-use (it will still autofit, so that's not a worry).  I find that even with Genesis clothing that works fine, I still prefer to save them as Carrara objects for future re-use, as I have no troubles going forward if I do that.

• Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    Jonstark said:

For me personally if I have a Genesis clothiing item that is not behaving correctly, I break it open in notepad to see if I can spot where it's 'wrong' in the script (by comparing it to another Genesis clothing item that works fine that I've also opened in notepad).  I think Studio is more 'forgiving' for bad writing/scripting, but Carrara is not.  Then resave it once correcting the item, and then saving as a Carrara object in my objects tab for future re-use (it will still autofit, so that's not a worry).  I find that even with Genesis clothing that works fine, I still prefer to save them as Carrara objects for future re-use, as I have no troubles going forward if I do that.

What sort of things have you found that are wrong?  I have tried that on items that cause Carrara to crash during the "projecting morphs" stage, but I end up with a item that will load but not comform.

MDO2010 said:
    SileneUK said:

Sorry Selene, I just repeated exactly what you said but in a LOT more words - I should have just said "what she said!" :)

It used to take ages for Smart Content to update for me too, but I have thousands of items in my library and with the latest version the Smart Content updates pretty much instantly for most items.  Even if I do something like select Genesis, which I have a ridiculous number of products for, and just Files without choosing any subcategory it will fully populate in under a minute.  If you and anyone wants to use Smart Content in Carrara it is definitely worth getting the latest version. :)

Nice to see what others have for content, though, thanks Mark  smiley Silene

Salem2007 said:
    Jonstark said:

What sort of things have you found that are wrong?  I have tried that on items that cause Carrara to crash during the "projecting morphs" stage, but I end up with a item that will load but not comform.

I'll second that motion! wink

I know i've bought a few things at Rendo that works in poser for rigged models, but totally broken with loaded into carrara, this being .cr2 based rigged content, not talking about Poser specific content either that used Binary Morphs system. Something about how the content creator not doing the proper rigging job in Poser, and Poser being forgiving or lax, writing the cr2 and allowing it to work as intended. Yet totally broken in Carrara (not sure about Studio).

Salem2007 said:
    Jonstark said:

Pretty much that's the main symptom I ran into.  It happens at the weirdest times, not all clothing items that were purchased in the same set will do this, usually it's only one oddball.  When I first ran into the problem I thought 'some of this Genesis stuff just doesn't work in Carrara', but there was a render I bought a specific clothiing outfit to do (can't remember which one) and I specifically wanted the gloves that came with the outfit, nothing else.  Problem was everything else - boots, top, pants, googles - that came with that outfit worked fine, but the gloves wouldn't load (sometimes would crash Carrara) or if they did load they wouldn't autofit to the Genesis.  I got irked enough to open one of the other items (the pants I think) in notepad and opened the gloves file in notepad, looking to see why one was working fine and the other wasn't.  It was some minor thing, like an extra comma or space in the name or something sloppy.. apparently it wasn't enough for Studio not to recognize it, but made Carrara throw a fit, so I corrected, resaved it as a renamed gloves2 file, then was able to open and autofit it in Carrara fine.  That's when I wondered what would happen if I started saving these clothing items in my Carrara objects tab.  I tried saving, then loading again once saved, and autofit worked fine, despite it no longer being a .duf file.  Plus they loaded waaay faster and seemed to have no hijinks when working.  So for me I think it's a better approach to turn them into Carrara assets in my objects tab.  All of this might be too much trouble for most folks though, and I admit it's not like I've converted my whole clothing catalog yet, that would take a lot of time, so I can't say 100% that this approach works universaly, but it worked for the several items I've resaved as Carrara assets so far.

Jonstark said:
    Salem2007 said:
    Jonstark said:

Pretty much that's the main symptom I ran into.  It happens at the weirdest times, not all clothing items that were purchased in the same set will do this, usually it's only one oddball.  When I first ran into the problem I thought 'some of this Genesis stuff just doesn't work in Carrara', but there was a render I bought a specific clothiing outfit to do (can't remember which one) and I specifically wanted the gloves that came with the outfit, nothing else.  Problem was everything else - boots, top, pants, googles - that came with that outfit worked fine, but the gloves wouldn't load (sometimes would crash Carrara) or if they did load they wouldn't autofit to the Genesis.  I got irked enough to open one of the other items (the pants I think) in notepad and opened the gloves file in notepad, looking to see why one was working fine and the other wasn't.  It was some minor thing, like an extra comma or space in the name or something sloppy.. apparently it wasn't enough for Studio not to recognize it, but made Carrara throw a fit, so I corrected, resaved it as a renamed gloves2 file, then was able to open and autofit it in Carrara fine.  That's when I wondered what would happen if I started saving these clothing items in my Carrara objects tab.  I tried saving, then loading again once saved, and autofit worked fine, despite it no longer being a .duf file.  Plus they loaded waaay faster and seemed to have no hijinks when working.  So for me I think it's a better approach to turn them into Carrara assets in my objects tab.  All of this might be too much trouble for most folks though, and I admit it's not like I've converted my whole clothing catalog yet, that would take a lot of time, so I can't say 100% that this approach works universaly, but it worked for the several items I've resaved as Carrara assets so far.

Ahh ok, that makes sense.

Unfortunately my problem is more than just a pair of gloves. Its the entire character. I've tried exporting the character both with and without the clothing, from Studio into Carrara with the same result - skeleton detached from the mesh, yet any items / props parrented to the hands, move with the skeleton rigging. As per one of the suggestions earlier above, selecting the joint / limb, and trying using the parameter values for rotate doesn't work either.

As I've been exampling and revisiting to test and example to post my results in this thread, the only thing remaining consistant is the complete randomness of when it decides to work and when it decides not to.

Guess using the "Files" Category in Carrara's Smart Content tab seems to work... for now... When

Only the hair decided to auto-fit when dragging from the Browser onto the Genesis2 male base, and then it also showed the available hair materials on the content list refresh... Everything else had to manually conform. Havn't played around with any body morph shapes yet...

Doc2.png
    1600 x 1200 - 390K
    Screenshot 2015-08-17 03.32.15.JPG
    2570 x 887 - 280K
    Screenshot 2015-08-17 03.32.52.JPG
    2558 x 947 - 321K
    Screenshot 2015-08-17 03.33.32.JPG
    2564 x 942 - 156K
    Screenshot 2015-08-17 03.35.17.JPG
    2562 x 1014 - 209K
    Screenshot 2015-08-17 03.36.05.JPG
    2562 x 1018 - 285K
    Screenshot 2015-08-17 03.37.04.JPG
    2563 x 920 - 165K
    Screenshot 2015-08-17 03.37.55.JPG
    2556 x 964 - 271K
    Screenshot 2015-08-17 03.38.46.JPG
    2560 x 1141 - 255K
    Screenshot 2015-08-17 03.39.25.JPG
    2559 x 1243 - 279K
  • DondecDondec Posts: 243
    edited August 2015

I read a bunch of forum methods on how to get clothing to auto fit.  My experiments did not coincide with the results reported, but I did found a technique that seemed to work for V4 and G2F clothing applied to G2F, if that helps.   (below copy and pasted from my notes)...

• If you load the G2F figure in Carrara then apply the clothing there is poke through, and I found no easy way to eliminate it.  Exporting a clothed figure from DS into Carrara didn't work well either.

• Try this:

• in DS

1. Load the human figure and morph to body shape desired

2. Apply and fit-to the clothing while figure in T pose (Tee shirts, underwear covered by other clothes should be loaded 1st, outerwear next)

3. Move the clothing out of the DS figure hierarchy (should not be underneath the figure... I moved it to the top of the scene hierarchy)

4. Click on each garment in turn…

1. For V4 clothing... Save as Character Preset (wearable presets require a parented figure, which we don’t want).  Check options: Shape Settings and Material Settings... Accept.

2. OR ....  If the garment or hair is originally for G2 then save it as a Scene Subset… and uncheck the figure from the popup dialog box 

3. Save 1. or 2. to a temp folder you know the name of

• In Carrara

1. load the same human figure (oops, this is the one vague part of the write up... I forgot whether I loaded the figure straight from Carrara's browser or Imported it using the DS file... its one or the other)

2. File – Import each garment you saved from your temp folder

1. If it asks to to load to current figure or New … select NEW  (there's poke through if you select current figure)

2. this will load it as a separate object with its own skeleton

3. Now select the imported garment object under the garment hierarchy (one above Actor).  For example the tank top I imported came into Carrara with the hierarchy:  Keski - CampTank - Actor, Hip...    so select CampTank (1 above Actor)

4. Fit To the G2F figure

​Works so far for me.   Hope this helps.  

Attachment: a hodgepodge of fit-to clothing,including an under garment tank top.

​    - Don

Figure04b.jpg
    640 x 480 - 24K
    Post edited by Dondec on

Jonstark, I'm interested in your technique, the fixing little syntax issues in Notepad or similar.  Did saving the item to the Carrara Browser remove the syntax problems... so manual editing is no longer needed?   Thanks

- Don

Dondec said:

Jonstark, I'm interested in your technique, the fixing little syntax issues in Notepad or similar.  Did saving the item to the Carrara Browser remove the syntax problems... so manual editing is no longer needed?   Thanks

- Don

Well yes, but also remember that I only saved the version that I had already fixed in notepad, so that's probably a good part of the reason why.  But if saved as a carrara object, it loads way faster than a .duf object, and I haven't had any further problems (admittedly I haven't done this for a ton of clothing and haven't used them a ton since then either since I've been busy with real life stealing my time, so this isn't definitive, but from the testing I've done so far it's worked pretty much flawlessly once corrected and saved as a Carrara object).    I also have only ever done this for Genesis1 stuff, I never thought you could autofit any prior generation clothing to Genesis2 in Carrara and have pretty much only used the Genesis2 clothing on Genesis2 figures so far, but the method you described above makes good logical sense and has opened my eyes to using prior generation clothing on Genesis2.

Except I'm not that enamored of Genesis2, honestly  :)  I kind of prefer Genesis1 of all the Genesis generations.  Still I have a bunch of Genesis2 stuff (bought a lot of the pro packs for the various characters and clothing, just in case I needed it for the future) so I probably ought to give that method a try.

Dondec said:

2. Click on each garment in turn…

1. For V4 clothing... Save as Character Preset (wearable presets require a parented figure, which we don’t want).  Check options: Shape Settings and Material Settings... Accept.

Running into problems, I get a popup window that won't let me save as a Character Preset and says "You must save Figure Support Assets before you can save a Character Preset"  Not sure what that means or what I'm doing wrong... 

edited August 2015

Looks like there's one step that I didn't realized I needed to mention...

After you Fit-To the V4 clothing to G2, it sits above and outside the figure hierarchy.  If you select it and try to save as Character Preset, it shows the error message that you got.

But try this...

First drag the fitted-to garment over the G2 figure... so it enters its hierarchy and then try to save it as a Character Preset, it works (at least here) as described.  Could you please verify this.  Thx.

- Don

PS.  This might also work for Genesis... and if you have time to try it, do let us know.  :)

Post edited by Dondec on
    Dondec said:

Looks like there's one step that I didn't realized I needed to mention...

After you Fit-To the V4 clothing to G2, it sits above and outside the figure hierarchy.  If you select it and try to save as Character Preset, it shows the error message that you got.

But try this...

First drag the fitted-to garment over the G2 figure... so it enters its hierarchy and then try to save it as a Character Preset, it works (at least here) as described.  Could you please verify this.  Thx.

- Don

PS.  This might also work for Genesis... and if you have time to try it, do let us know.  :)

Finally got some time to try this to confirm, but I still can't drag the dress into the G2's hierarchy, no matter what I do :(  It doesn't work like in Carrara where a simple drag and drop into the heirarchy will do the trick, when I drag and drop nothing happens, and if I'm 'dropping' on the G2 it just shifts to the G2.

Wait, I'm betraying my unfamiliarity with Studio and I got the above wrong; I was trying to shift things around in the hierarchy using the 'Editor' tab to the left, just found the 'Scene' tab to the right and looks like that's where you do it.  I now got the dress I had fit to my G2 into the G2's hierarchy, but still getting the same error when I try to save it as a character preset:  "You must save Figure Support Assets before you can save a Character Preset" 

So I'm still doing something wrong though...

Adding to the above, it looks like I was just able to do it, slightly different workflow though. I stopped fighting the error and saved the dress as a figure/prop support asset in a temporary figures folder, then loaded Genesis2f up in Carrara (not an import from Studio, but loaded in Carrara, if that matters), then loaded up the dress figure/prop support asset I just saved separately in the scene, then fit it to my Gen2F and it looked great.  Posed my Gen2F too, dress follows, no pokethrough or problems, again looks pretty dang good.  Tried messing with the shape morphs for the Gen2F, the dress follows fine.  I actually didn't do this with the standard Gen2F, but had loaded up Giselle, in both Studio when I was making the dress fit and in Carrara when I was seeing how it worked, so I guess next thing to try is loading up a different Gen2F and seeing if the same V4 dress can fit to a different base shape of Gen2F or not.

edited August 2015

Adding to the above, just tried the same dress on a V6 base figure, worked just as well, autofitted with no pokethrough, applied pose and still looked great.

Bear in mind that while I also saved as a Character preset, I never used or loaded the character preset file, just the figure/prop support asset that I saved first.  Not sure if it matters or not, but thought I would mention.

BTW, this is really great!  Thank you for turning me on to this Dondec, I can now use all my V4/M4/Gen1 clothing on Gen2, that substantially expands my wardrobe for certain  :)   I still like Gen1 more than Gen2, and still use V4/M4 more than either of them, but this definitely gives me a nudge to use Gen2 more often. 

Post edited by Jonstark on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    I liked the joint bending in the Genesis figures better than the Mil4 figures, although I can't stand the multiple UVs. I can see the reason for them, as far as map distortion goes, but it's a PITA.

That's great Jonstark.  I thought I was being perfectly accurate in my write up, because I had trouble following other write-ups because of slightly incomplete or ambiguous procedures.  One missing detail can, as we just found out, throw you off. 

I didn't have the problem you experiences so either we're still not completely in sync -OR- there's some variation based on which garment was used.  Can you tell me which garment you tried (which gave you there error).  Maybe I can try it here... then clarify missing steps.  Think a lot of people could benefit.  Thanks.

- Don

It was pretty3d hot uniforms maid outfit for V4, just did the dress because I was pressed for time, but maybe I ought to do a larger sample size of other clothing for V4 before declaring I now have a workable flow for putting V4 clothing on to Genesis2   :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796
    edited August 2015

I do not have a lot of issues loading G2M and F and their content generally, it is more saving and reusing the Carrara scene that is the issue in most cases.

that I think is more to do with the massive sizes of them, this habit Carrara has of saving all the information as aforementioned by everyone, DAZ studio scenes are very small fles, a duf file can even be sent to another if they have the same content installed in the same locations in their library.

Carrara car format on the other hand  you can load most the scene on another computer without any content except textures and even those you can embed.

what us needed really is a way to recreate duf

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited April 2016

I hardly ever use V4 or M4 anymore, unless I want to use Carrara hair items that grow directly on their models.  Using the wearable preset method on previous pages, I have converted over 100 items for V4/M4 and dozens of items for older figures for use with the Genesis 2 figures.  Just one clarification, although one selects the Genesis 2 figure when exporting a wearable preset from Daz Studio, one does not need to have any figure in the Carrara scene to load a wearable preset.  Exported wearable presets become free-standig figures in Carrara.   Once exported as a wearable preset from Studio, the ability to load as a figure in Carrara and then mix and match across figures and content is amazing in my experience.

For example, I have loaded 2 G2Fs and 1 G2M.  The G2Fs have been shaped to be Stephanie 5 and Mei Lin 6.  The G2F/SP5 has skin based upon the maps for Eruana 6.  The G2F/MeiLin6 has skin based upon the Saki character for Mei Lin 6.  The G2F/SP5 is wearing a maid outfit for Vicki 3 by Pretty3D.  The G2F/MeiLin6 is wearing a maid outfit for V4 by Pretty3D.  The hairs are for V4.  The G2M has been shaped to be Michael 6.  Th G2M's skin is based on maps for the Garen character.  The G2M's clothing is an Edwardian suit for David 3.

I have simply loaded the figures, dragged saved global shaders to the ball for each figure at the top of its shaer tree in the "actor" level, dialed the shape I want from Daz morphs, loaded clothing items that have ben passed through the Studio transfer utility, and then "fit to" the figure.  In this case, there was no poke through and I have not done any other adjustments for the clothing or hair.

Thus, using Genesis 2 figures and their clones, I am able to mix and match content from V3/M3, V4/M4, V5/M5, V6/M6 and more.

g2 people render1b.jpg
    800 x 600 - 95K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited April 2016

HI :)

To get genesis or any other Daz3D / Poser figure into Carrara, you should "Add" your Poser Runtime or Daz content Library (My Library) folders, to the content browser in Carrara. so that carrara knows where to look for content.

Since Genesis is Smart content,. It'll show up in the Smart Content area of the Carrara browser.

The information in that area is supplied by a database which also feeds the same data to daz Studio.

If that database isn't running on your system,. the Smart content data wont be suppplied to carrara, ... no smart content. ... no genesis .

If you've added your DS library's to Carrara, and there's no smart content showing,. check that the "Postgres" database services are running.

Just realised i'm answering a post from page 2 .... DOH !

Add Content Runtime.jpg
    1190 x 435 - 78K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    page 2 or not, I learned something. again. thanks! ms
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

I want to highlight this for new installs and upgrades to Carrara 8.5.

If you have just installed Carrara 8.5 for the first time, as 3DAge points out above, make sure that the "Postgres" database services are running if you wish to use Genesis or Genesis 2 figures.  Otherwise, Carrara will not find the morph packs that you have for those figures.  I believe this only has to be done once.

3DAGE said:

HI :)

To get genesis or any other Daz3D / Poser figure into Carrara, you should "Add" your Poser Runtime or Daz content Library (My Library) folders, to the content browser in Carrara. so that carrara knows where to look for content.

Since Genesis is Smart content,. It'll show up in the Smart Content area of the Carrara browser.

The information in that area is supplied by a database which also feeds the same data to daz Studio.

If that database isn't running on your system,. the Smart content data wont be suppplied to carrara, ... no smart content. ... no genesis .

If you've added your DS library's to Carrara, and there's no smart content showing,. check that the "Postgres" database services are running.

Just realised i'm answering a post from page 2 .... DOH !