Poser getting Cycles

nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,846
edited July 2015 in Poser Discussion

Looks like Poser will be getting its own PBR (physically based render-engine), currently code named SuperFly. It is Cycles, made famous by Blender. Nerd made the announcement today it seems.

Post edited by nDelphi on

Comments

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

At first I was like .....  ...... then I saw where Nerd3D said that it would be CPU only, with no support for GPU acceleration, and I was like .....  . It will still be a big plus for Poser to finally have native caustics and easily implemented accurate IOR, but without GPU acceleration it's not quite as attractive to me (your mileage may vary).

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,846
    DustRider said:

...... then I saw where Nerd3D said that it would be CPU only, with no support for GPU acceleration, and I was like .....  .

I suspect that after the users scream enough it will eventually happen.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,786

Somebody elsewhere pointed out that GPU rendering can't be done with Cycles if Blender's strand hair is used, leading to speculation that the latter might be included within Poser...

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

I doubt that Poser is getting Blender's hair.  But the same 'restriction' probably holds true for Poser's existing hair.

• JVRendererJVRenderer Posts: 661

I'm with DustRider. I speculated that SM was going to implement some sort of PBR weeks before the announcement. Leaving out the GPU functon is really a downer for me as well. If there aren't any major new features on Poser 11/pro 16, I'll probably skip the upgrade or until it gets to a lower pricing. I'm happy with my octane renderer and probably use the money for PP2016pro to upgrade to Octane 3. I'm guessing PP2016 probably retails at $495 and the upgrade probably at $295. With those prices, I'm expecting something of value in return.

JV.

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,861

Good for them! Cycles is a nice render engine. Does not sound like something that would make me give Poser one more try though : /

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

Poser costs $500 :O WoW ,,,, and the Daz store is basicly the only content for it?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,029
    edited August 2015

DAZ is definitely not the only store selling Poser or DS content. There are other sites, like Renderosity, RuntimeDNA, Hivewire3D, Content Paradise, YURDigital, PoserWorld... (just to name a few).

And there are also many sites providing freebie content for Poser or DS.

Post edited by Leana on