DAZ Studio Pro 4.8.0.59, General Release, Now Available! [*UPDATED*]

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

long shot, but if it indeed isn't the render library causing it, could it be 3rd party software creating it?  For example, similar to how Windows sometimes creates a thumbs database file, a long time ago I had some 3rd party piece of image-related software that did something similar, then years later I was finding these files scattered about my system.  While that's probably not what's being seen, it is also a faint possibility.

• sriesch said:

long shot, but if it indeed isn't the render library causing it, could it be 3rd party software creating it?  For example, similar to how Windows sometimes creates a thumbs database file, a long time ago I had some 3rd party piece of image-related software that did something similar, then years later I was finding these files scattered about my system.  While that's probably not what's being seen, it is also a faint possibility.

Unfortunately, there would be no way I could track down or neutralzie the problem if that's it. It might be too cumbersome to delve into the program's code. 

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited July 2015

Is everything set to Run As Administrator? I remember Poser doing odd things when it wasn't. It was fine when I ran everything as an administrator. You do it to the desktop shortcut as well as the .exe. The Windows UAC (User Account Control) can do strange things when things aren't done the way it expects.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561

...tonight had two crashes to the desktop with in a short span of time. Was working on a fairly simple scene at the time. Neither of the crashes occurred during a render process but while positioning simple props in the scene. No crash dump file was created either..

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460

Now you mention it, I had that happen too when working with props.

CHEERS!

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited July 2015
    sriesch said:

Unfortunately, there would be no way I could track down or neutralzie the problem if that's it. It might be too cumbersome to delve into the program's code. 

A question: in the Render Library pane, do you tell Studio where your new Render Library (or what ever you're calling it) location is? If you are, don't. The trick is that Studio needs to NOT BE TOLD that there is a Render Library. Or it needs not to exist. (I go for both options, myself.)

First, if you have a directory called "Render Library" somewhere in one of Studio's mapped directories: move all your renders to some directory NOT in the base content path, and then delete that directory. In other words, if your render library is currently something like "C:\Public Documents\My DAZ3D Library\Render Library" (assuming you have Windows), move your renders to something like "C:\Public Documents\Studio Images", then delete the old Render Library directory. (That may be enough to take care of everything; I would test that first by doing a new render. If that isn't enough to break Studio's connection to the Render Library, you'll need to do the steps below.)

If the steps above aren't enough:

Go to the Window menu, then the "Panes (Tabs)" item, then go down and select the "Render Library" pane. It should pop up in the workspace.

You'll see an item that says "Folder: Render Library" at the top of the pane. Click on the "Render Library" option.

You'll see an option that says "Manage Directories". Select that.

You'll then see an option that says "Render Galleries", and underneath that, one that says "Base Path." Ignore the "Base Path" option; if you do anything there, you'll probably break something.

If there is a directory path listed under "Render Galleries", ABOVE "Base Path", delete it. That's what makes Studio make thumbnails.

Accept and close everything. That should allow Studio to make renders without making thumbnails.

The next time you make a render, save to another folder selected at the time you render, in the popup render window. Studio then remembers where you last saved -- it has no choice, because the Render Library folder doesn't exist -- and keeps putting files there, without making thumbnails. (You can also change this in the Render tab, in the General part of the settings, under "Image Path". This is, for whatever reason, NOT the same thing as Render Library unless you tell Studio that it is.)

There may be an easier way to tell Studio not to use the Render Library; unfortunately, I can't remember what it is. I set it up to work this way once, and as long as I copy the right files from system to system -- don't ask me which file, because editing that would be easier than the rest of this -- it remembers that I don't want a Render Library and never makes one.

It's a very weird way to operate. You'd think there'd be a way to just tell Studio "don't make thumbnails", but this is the way it works.

If that's not the issue, then I'm not sure what it could be.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • AlienRendersAlienRenders Posts: 790
    edited July 2015

This last update is VERY buggy. Crashes all the time. Really bad usage of CPU and GPU with iRay in the viewport. AutoFit will often hang. Loading scenes is hit and miss on DAZ crashing. Really, this last version should be reverted and try again.

I issued a ticket for CPU usage when using iRay in the viewport. It renders the full max samples no matter what in the viewport and uses way too much CPU (often 100% CPU when CPU is not used in rendering). Mentioning it in case others run into this same problem. Oh, and it does this for empty scenes too. Absolutely NOTHING in the scene. No cameras, no objects, no figures, no lights, nada. It will render the full 5000 samples (if that's what you have it set to) before it's done rendering the viewport. When there's a scene loaded, it's even worse.

Post edited by AlienRenders on

...I'm still getting that annoying white "flickering" of the top screen border when loading content and making adjustments as well as still getting the "white/black" screens with the "Not Responding" warning while loading scenes.  My drivers are up to date so that should not be the issue.

I am also set to the normal "Smooth Textured" view (default), not the "Iray" view.  I found that if I do use the Iray view even for just a short bit of time, a while later the programme crashes to the desktop even if I have set the viewport back to "Smooth Textured".  That sounds like a possible memory leak.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    kyoto kid said:

I am also set to the normal "Smooth Textured" view (default), not the "Iray" view.  I found that if I do use the Iray view even for just a short bit of time, a while later the programme crashes to the desktop even if I have set the viewport back to "Smooth Textured".  That sounds like a possible memory leak.

Or heat...check the fan on your video card and cpu...my htpc (the one I run Iray on) started doing that the other day and the video card fan was a dustbunny Mecca...hasn't done it since I cleaned out the fan.

edited July 2015

...sounds reasonable.  I first need to go down to the storage place tomorrow as all my computer maintenance tools got packed away by accident. May as well make it a maintenance day and take the fan off the CPU cooler as well as the ones out of the the case and clean them along with the heat sink as well. That might help to lower the core temps a bit while rendering.

Only have big "household" tools at my disposal right now, not what you want to use for work on delicate components.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    kyoto kid said:

Only have big "household" tools at my disposal right now, not what you want to use for work on delicate components.

No...not unless those components are EXTREMELY frustrating....then it's BFH time.

mjc1016 said:
    kyoto kid said:

No...not unless those components are EXTREMELY frustrating....then it's BFH time.

..hehheh, not quitr that bad....yet.

kyoto kid said:
    mjc1016 said:
    kyoto kid said:

I got to take out plenty of frustrations today...I swapped out a front wheel bearing on my car...and I got to use a BFH to remove the old hub.

mjc1016 said:
    kyoto kid said:
    mjc1016 said:
    kyoto kid said:

I got to take out plenty of frustrations today...I swapped out a front wheel bearing on my car...and I got to use a BFH to remove the old hub.

...feels good somtimes, doesn't it?

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Hi,

Did the ability to turn off or turn down the selection glow thing get moved or removed?  I really don't like that one.  I'm trying to test out some new textures I'm developing and it's in the way of my doing close up checks.  I need to turn that off. 

Please let me know where those controls are... I can't find them.

Thanks

Richard

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250

I've taken to running with the spot render tool as my cursor. It doesn't set off the great swaths of orange and I mostly find the trade-off of having to select things from the scene list an aceptable one. Accidentally dragging and setting off a spot render is easy enopugh to either cancel of just wait for and click again to make it go away.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

I don't know if it can be turned off fo the surface selection tool, but it works for the other tools.

• WhiteFoxWhiteFox Posts: 92
    RAMWolff said:

Hi,

Did the ability to turn off or turn down the selection glow thing get moved or removed?  I really don't like that one.  I'm trying to test out some new textures I'm developing and it's in the way of my doing close up checks.  I need to turn that off. 

Thanks

Richard

I don't believe you can "Turn off" that feature, but this might help as you can use a less annoying color.

I don't know why the coders removed that option .. it's gotta be there somewhere or it's hidden.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrr no

@RAMWolff Sorry, It didn't upload my screen shot. Go to 'Window/Style/Customize Colors' and change the 'Accent Color' to one of your liking, black or grey I think would work for what you're doing.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Window > Panes > Draw Settings, Editor tab, General, set Draw Style to Bounding Box Only

Just checked that i.e 'Window > Panes > Draw Settings, Editor tab, General, Active Opacity' is better. There'll still be an outline but the color will be gone if the setting is set to "0.0%"

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    RAMWolff said:

Hi,

Thanks

Richard

Draw Styles pane. 

Thank you.  Didn't realize you guys had moved that to it's own area....

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    RAMWolff said:

Thank you.  Didn't realize you guys had moved that to it's own area....

It seems to make more sense there now that we have that pane. :) 

Your right of course but just need to get used to it having it's own space! lol

• Rotate the world?

Is it possible to rotate the entire world (scene plus HDR dome) as an entity? It's easy to rotate the scene or the dome to get a specific view but my graphics card is quite slow in interactive render mode so its not easy to match the dome to the scene when the scene viewpoint rotates.

lucia

• JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758

Well, Install manager update to 4.8, from 4.6 ended-up in disaster...

Seems it just ate-up the 4.6 GUI settings and didn't even install the 4.8 content!

Splash says 4.6, the ABOUT says 4.6, the EXE itself says 4.6 inside...

This is what I have now, to try to work with... any suggestions?

broken GUI.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 290K

You didn't happen to have Studio open when you ran the DIM?

• JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758
    mjc1016 said:

You didn't happen to have Studio open when you ran the DIM?

No, I did open it after it said it was installed. However, the install details page is just blank.

I will try to install it again after the other 250 items finish downloading. It did a backwards install, if you ask me. (Downloaded updates for 4.6 while, and durring the download and install of 4.8 itself. You would think that it would force you to download and install that FIRST, then check for updates. Eg, not trying to install updates for 4.6 components, when it would need the 4.8 updates after 4.8 was installed. Such as the bridges for GOZ and PS, which all say "Update for 4.6".)

No big deal. If I need to, I can just download it manually, uninstall 4.6 and the 4.8, then reinstall... Then fire-up the install manager and let it figure out what it needs again. (Hopefully not a lot. I just got caught-up on over 12GB of items I purchased, but had yet to install.)