PBS Metals , Metallic Plastics and Paints shaders for Iray [commercial] Just released

Comments

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

You have more than 3 layers per each base mixer.. each parameter surface is a layer , Base-Glossy-Reflection-Top coat etc.. but you have 3 Base mixers that offer different surface parameters like PBR Disney Metallness\Roughness , PBR Specular/Glossiness and Weighted 

I called it Smart Layer as it don't affect the base metals and have own PBR parameters independent of the metal base what was a smart idea wink.. excuse me but due to trade mark don't getting to explain how and what as that is not part of the product 

fastbike1 said:

I'm sorry but I'm a bit new and don't get how to use these. Where are the "smart layers"? When I go to the surfaces tab I see Base, Metallic Flakes, and Top Coat. I don't understand where the "top smart layer" is in Studio.

If you dig through the online manual, the explanation of the new Iray materials states that they have what is essentially three layers; I've looked at the differences in the surfaces parameters before and after applying them, and it looks like the "smart" settings affect only the top layer. It isn't something separate you have to set or adjust on its own, it's part of what you see in the Surfaces tab.

@MBush , thank you ..that was a nice workflow explanation 

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074
    edited July 2015

Thanks MBusch. I see that the effect loads in the map. I can also see that the build of the model may give unpreditcable results.

In the attachment, the rust looks good in some places, but odd on the doors. Scratched looks better but has similar odd effect on the doors.I don't think this is a shader issue.

Reloaded attachment.

51 chevy rusted iray test 1.jpg
    1000 x 740 - 214K
    Post edited by fastbike1 on

I don't see attachment  , but make sure the UVs are ok and use Tile to scale it up or down , the effect will be different depends of the model UV's like scale, rotation or position 

fastbike1 said:

Thanks MBusch. I see that the effect loads in the map. I can also see that the build of the model may give unpreditcable results.

In the attachment, the rust looks good in some places, but odd on the doors. Scratched looks better but has similar odd effect on the doors.I don't think this is a shader issue.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845

The attachment was there the last time I looked at this thread. Gremlins lol.

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited July 2015

Yep, was there the last time I looked at this thread too. The Gremlins are the Web devs from DAZ:

Image Attachments Fix and Error

We have discovered the issue with image attachments and are working to fix that.

Unfortunately, an error was made on my part during the repairs that caused the attachment database to be deleted. This means that any new images that have been uploaded and attached to posts since the forum update (Tues. the 7th) have been permanently lost. Images that were uploaded before the update will be reinstated shortly from a previous backup we had of the old forums.

You may still be able to edit your original post and re-upload attachments that way.

Again, I apologize for this error and will do everything I can to prevent it from occurring again.

Post edited by MBusch on

Are you serious ? they should made a backup before any repairs  no

MBusch said:

Yep, was there the last time I looked at this thread too. The Gremlins are the Web devs from DAZ:

Image Attachments Fix and Error

We have discovered the issue with image attachments and are working to fix that.

Unfortunately, an error was made on my part during the repairs that caused the attachment database to be deleted. This means that any new images that have been uploaded and attached to posts since the forum update (Tues. the 7th) have been permanently lost. Images that were uploaded before the update will be reinstated shortly from a previous backup we had of the old forums.

You may still be able to edit your original post and re-upload attachments that way.

Again, I apologize for this error and will do everything I can to prevent it from occurring again.

I saw finally your image, the UVs of your car are bad .. you need to rework it and do new one if you can and not just the doors  

fastbike1 said:

Reloaded attachment.

UVs came with model (or aren't there). Not sure what to do about it. Not a critical render just trying to understand more about shaders and such. Haven't ever done anything with UV, Bump, or Displacement maps.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    fastbike1 said:

UVs came with model (or aren't there). Not sure what to do about it. Not a critical render just trying to understand more about shaders and such. Haven't ever done anything with UV, Bump, or Displacement maps.

Is that a Sketchup conversion or a freebie from somewhere else?

It's not a freebie. It's from Dreamland Models on Renderosity.

edited July 2015

I could fix the UVs in a 2 second but don't own it  .. really bad UVs looks like made 20 years ago 

fastbike1 said:

It's not a freebie. It's from Dreamland Models on Renderosity.

Post edited by MEC4D on

As I read the material, I realize it is, and is intended to be, a low res, fast rendering model to have lots in a scene.

I bought it a while ago since my wife learned to drive on a truck like this. I do appreciate the info.

High or low resolution the UVs need to be proper there is no excuse , you will get always distortion no matter what material you use , beside maybe a simple color .  It is a nice car model btw 

do you have link to the product ? 

fastbike1 said:

As I read the material, I realize it is, and is intended to be, a low res, fast rendering model to have lots in a scene.

I bought it a while ago since my wife learned to drive on a truck like this. I do appreciate the info.

Here you go. It is a nice model, Lots of moveable parts.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/1951-chevy-pickup/97089/

Yes the model is nice just got it , but the UVs as expected ..very very bad , going to fix that tomorrow as I am going to use it in new shader presentation 

It should be an outstanding model to demonstrate your shaders, though I though the existing shots were pretty special as well.

• RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850

Any news on the promised free shaders for the ones whou bought the product? Just askin' ...

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012

Loving these shaders and daydreaming about a mention of some wood shaders in the works?

Yes a lot of work at this moment and I am little behind , I little overworked myself lately and got some acid build in my back muscle so annoying but I am doing my best just slowly as I need breaks from siting too long and it is so distracting .I will be done as soon as I can .

MEC4D said:

Yes a lot of work at this moment and I am little behind , I little overworked myself lately and got some acid build in my back muscle so annoying but I am doing my best just slowly as I need breaks from siting too long and it is so distracting .I will be done as soon as I can .

No rush, health, work life balance etc definitely a priority! Having way too much fun with PBS Shaders for iRay Vol.1 at the moment anyway, currently rendering a scene with Ant Farm's buddy bot with some rusty PBS vol.1 goodness - your shaders are making buddy bot look epic in iRay! Thank you. 

Thank you, I hope you going to share your creation when done ! 

MEC4D said:

No rush, health, work life balance etc definitely a priority! Having way too much fun with PBS Shaders for iRay Vol.1 at the moment anyway, currently rendering a scene with Ant Farm's buddy bot with some rusty PBS vol.1 goodness - your shaders are making buddy bot look epic in iRay! Thank you. 

edited July 2015
    MEC4D said:

Okay, I'm still very much a beginner with all this having only started in March (signed up to Daz back in 2012 and uninstalled pretty much the same day until March this year where I decided to give it a proper try!)

Here is The AntFarm's "Buddy Bot" set in props from The DigiVault's "Warzone", the figure is outoftouch's "Olly Base" modified with some morphs wearing the outpost mercenary outfit and Wyatt Hair, Jepes Flames II, iRay Real Lights from DzFire for the Bot's monitor, scene lit with DimensionTheory's "iRadiance - HDR Mesh Lights for Iray",  Shot with Marshian's AtmoCam, with some Ron's Steam and Smoke as the solitary post addition and of course PBS Shaders for iRay vol.1 from your good self, MEC4D to give the bot its rusted, flakey painted appearance.

BotApocJPG.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 283K
    Post edited by KA1 on

That is cool one I like it ! well done  nice usage of the shaders as well , thanks for sharing  

MEC4D said:

Okay, I'm still very much a beginner with all this having only started in March (signed up to Daz back in 2012 and uninstalled pretty much the same day until March this year where I decided to give it a proper try!)

Here is The AntFarm's "Buddy Bot" set in props from The DigiVault's "Warzone", the figure is outoftouch's "Olly Base" modified with some morphs wearing the outpost mercenary outfit and Wyatt Hair, Jepes Flames II, iRay Real Lights from DzFire for the Bot's monitor, scene lit with DimensionTheory's "iRadiance - HDR Mesh Lights for Iray",  Shot with Marshian's AtmoCam, with some Ron's Steam and Smoke as the solitary post addition and of course PBS Shaders for iRay vol.1 from your good self, MEC4D to give the bot its rusted, flakey painted appearance.

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459

Hi just looking for some advice on how to use the geometry shell parameters, as I've never used geometry shells. Do I just create one and apply the setting? Or does the shell need any particular settings for iray. Thanks :) 

Yes no special settings here .. but make sure you set the mesh offset to minimum as possible under Parameters tab of the geometry schell  as too great distance will create shadows

Redz said:

Hi just looking for some advice on how to use the geometry shell parameters, as I've never used geometry shells. Do I just create one and apply the setting? Or does the shell need any particular settings for iray. Thanks :) 

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459
    MEC4D said:

Yes no special settings here .. but make sure you set the mesh offset to minimum as possible under Parameters tab of the geometry schell  as too great distance will create shadows

Redz said:

great thanks :)

• Kat_KatKat_Kat Posts: 169
    edited July 2015

Well, finally took the plunge, been fighting with Iray and the default shaders and had some decent results. But just not good enough. Had a specific look in mind and when I saw the Rune Outfit I knew I had the base. So, I got it along with many other things including your shaders. Should have done it sooner. Only used base metal and base metal paint, haven't played with the layers or shells yet, but I know I will. This is what I got out of it so far. Lit only by Soldiers of Magic:Serpio turned into an emissive, the results are more than I could have asked for. I know now, I will not be hesitating next product I see from you. The quality, ease of use and standards are phenomonal.

Dae Wip2.jpg
    1042 x 882 - 761K
    Post edited by Kat_Kat on

Really nice !  I like  the combination of the shaders on the suit ! great job ! thank you so much for sharing your artwork ! 

Kat_Kat said:

Well, finally took the plunge, been fighting with Iray and the default shaders and had some decent results. But just not good enough. Had a specific look in mind and when I saw the Rune Outfit I knew I had the base. So, I got it along with many other things including your shaders. Should have done it sooner. Only used base metal and base metal paint, haven't played with the layers or shells yet, but I know I will. This is what I got out of it so far. Lit only by Soldiers of Magic:Serpio turned into an emissive, the results are more than I could have asked for. I know now, I will not be hesitating next product I see from you. The quality, ease of use and standards are phenomonal.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited July 2015

I used 14K Gold and one of the alpha patterns (pattern 8) to turn the heart necklace cord into something that more resembled a chain.

G2F Heart Jewels Cats Meow Buttercup Iray.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on