DAZ Studio Pro 4.8.0.59, General Release, Now Available! [*UPDATED*]

Comments

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    For me 4.8 is sluggish and unresponsive. You can't click on a item, either in the scene or in the scene list, to select it. You have to click and *hold* before it will select. The transformation sliders don't respond smoothly or readily.

You can't just click and drag the scene commander controls (pan, zoom, and the widget that adjusts the view angle), you have to click and hold and press down, drag, and *drag* (all the way across your desktop) pressing down like death on the mouse button before it will budge at all, and it still is reluctant to move. And then once you bet the angle where you want it you have to let go and just sit there for most of a minute, because the mouse button doesn't release and if you move the mouse the least little bit, the scene follows, even though you are no longer holding the button *at all,* and then it is just as reluctant to follow when you have to *start all over again* to fix it.

The scene will suddenly arbitrarily jump to some other view, either well to the back or to the side or completely turn around and be looking at things from the back (or not at the scene at all, and you have to go and *find* it), at a whole different distance, even though you have done *nothing*. I have *no idea* what is making it do this.

I swear, this version of the program is an even more uphill battle to work with than DS3. (But at least in this version shaders apply.)

I am pretty sure that what is causing this troubles is NVidia Iray preview set in the viewport. I experiment this same behavior in my computer as I don't have a Nvidia card installed. Leave the preview mode set to Texture Mode and it should works fine.

• WhiteFoxWhiteFox Posts: 92
    edited December 1969

I was hoping that the Bryce Bridge would be fixed. I read in the first or second post of this thread that it has been fixed, so I am going to test that and see how well it works.

Yes the bridge works but has to be initiated from Bryce side first unlike 4.7 where you could just set up your scene and send to Bryce. Now you have to start Bryce, send something to Studio and let it run while setting your scene up in Studio (kinda lame if you ask me) or open Bryce and send something to Studio, delete the thing in Studio, load a pre-saved scene and then send to Bryce.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    For me 4.8 is sluggish and unresponsive. You can't click on a item, either in the scene or in the scene list, to select it. You have to click and *hold* before it will select. The transformation sliders don't respond smoothly or readily.

You can't just click and drag the scene commander controls (pan, zoom, and the widget that adjusts the view angle), you have to click and hold and press down, drag, and *drag* (all the way across your desktop) pressing down like death on the mouse button before it will budge at all, and it still is reluctant to move. And then once you bet the angle where you want it you have to let go and just sit there for most of a minute, because the mouse button doesn't release and if you move the mouse the least little bit, the scene follows, even though you are no longer holding the button *at all,* and then it is just as reluctant to follow when you have to *start all over again* to fix it.

The scene will suddenly arbitrarily jump to some other view, either well to the back or to the side or completely turn around and be looking at things from the back (or not at the scene at all, and you have to go and *find* it), at a whole different distance, even though you have done *nothing*. I have *no idea* what is making it do this.

I swear, this version of the program is an even more uphill battle to work with than DS3. (But at least in this version shaders apply.)

It also depends on what's in your scene. With large scenes, the interface slows to a crawl and it takes several seconds for things like mouse clicks and menu items to respond, but with a tiny scene there's no visible lag time. Here are a few suggestions from others I've been experimenting with, and they have cut the delay down from about 3 seconds to about 1 second in tests I recently tried:
    speed boosts:
    Smooth Shaded is slightly faster than Texture Shaded.
    Edit > Preferences > Interface tab > Display Optimization: Best. (but dependent on video card's capabilities, and potentially unstable.)

When you say the scene will arbitrarily jump to some other view, do you mean the camera selection changes on it's own to a different camera, or the position of the current camera changes? I wonder if the multiple-second lag time means that some of your mouse clicks or releases are happening on other controls (where the mouse has moved, rather than where you actually performed the action)?

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

I was hoping that the Bryce Bridge would be fixed. I read in the first or second post of this thread that it has been fixed, so I am going to test that and see how well it works.

Yes the bridge works but has to be initiated from Bryce side first unlike 4.7 where you could just set up your scene and send to Bryce. Now you have to start Bryce, send something to Studio and let it run while setting your scene up in Studio (kinda lame if you ask me) or open Bryce and send something to Studio, delete the thing in Studio, load a pre-saved scene and then send to Bryce.

DS 4.8.0.59 connecting to Bryce 7.1 is working here. Please file a bug through the Customer Service interface, so we can get more details.

edited December 1969

DS 4.8.0.59 connecting to Bryce 7.1 is working here. Please file a bug through the Customer Service interface, so we can get more details.

I did in March. Last response I received when I told them it was only working one way was on April 1st, saying they'd tell Q & A. I had assumed the post here saying it was fixed meant that was all they were doing with it. When I opened the ticket it didn't work either direction, but Q & A was saying it worked fine. Am I needing to open another ticket, or should I keep waiting on the one I had already opened?

edited December 1969

I did in March. Last response I received when I told them it was only working one way was on April 1st, saying they'd tell Q & A. I had assumed the post here saying it was fixed meant that was all they were doing with it. When I opened the ticket it didn't work either direction, but Q & A was saying it worked fine. Am I needing to open another ticket, or should I keep waiting on the one I had already opened?What is the ticket number?

edited December 1969

edited December 1969

Thanks
    edited December 1969

Thanks

Sure thing :)
    Thank you for looking back into it.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250
    edited December 1969

I run in Texture Shaded, except when working in the Geometry editor, when it's either wireframe texture shaded or wireframe. And I've not yet even tried dealing with Iray. I just opened an old scene and Show Hidden Properties is checked. I'll try turning it off and see if that improves things.

That wasn't necessary in 4.7.

edited July 2015

JOdel said:
    I run in Texture Shaded, except when working in the Geometry editor, when it's either wireframe texture shaded or wireframe. And I've not yet even tried dealing with Iray. I just opened an old scene and Show Hidden Properties is checked. I'll try turning it off and see if that improves things.

That wasn't necessary in 4.7.

Also check here to be on the safe side (and set 'Texture Resources' to 'Performance' instead of 'Quality')

Optimize.png
    1366 x 768 - 959K
    Optimize.png
    1366 x 768 - 959K
    Post edited by WhiteFox on
    edited July 2015

Well it was set to 'none', so the fact there was nothing selected may have been a contributor. Never caused problems before.

ETA: Something at least has improved. The program is no longer crashing on quit, which it did consistently since I upgraded.

ETA 2: Well I opened up some character files and did some modifications and the response was back to what I expected of the program. So evidently something that I reset corrected whatever the program was chokeing on. The big scene is probably still going to be a slug to work with, but possibly not quite as much of a slug. Before, even the character files, which are nothing but one Genesis with hair and clothing, were unresponsive.

Post edited by JOdel on
  • _manne__manne_ Posts: 284
    edited July 2015

I've been trying to render today and I can't get Daz 4.8 to render using the GPU.  It was able to render using the GPU night before last and just started this behavior.  No matter what I set in the IRay advanced settings it is ONLY rendering using CPU.

What can I possibly check/reset that would effect this?  This seems to have happened after I tried using the OptiX Prime Acceleration. Any ideas?

Ok quick follow-up: Nevermind not an issue my scene was just too big to fully render onto the GPU of the card.  When the card doesn't have enough memory, Iray automatically switches to CPU. My mistake I found the answer here in the forums.

Post edited by _manne_ on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,137
    JOdel said:

Well it was set to 'none', so the fact there was nothing selected may have been a contributor. Never caused problems before.

ETA: Something at least has improved. The program is no longer crashing on quit, which it did consistently since I upgraded.

ETA 2: Well I opened up some character files and did some modifications and the response was back to what I expected of the program. So evidently something that I reset corrected whatever the program was chokeing on. The big scene is probably still going to be a slug to work with, but possibly not quite as much of a slug. Before, even the character files, which are nothing but one Genesis with hair and clothing, were unresponsive.

Make sure none of that clothing has interactive smoothing enabled in the parameters tab. Some recent clothing was released by DAZ with interactive smoothing set to ON (Ciao Bella, I think it was). That will kill viewport performance for sure!

• xxez3kielxxxxez3kielxx Posts: 1
    edited July 2015

Hello , I have a problem with DAZ Studio during rendering , my PC crashes (blue screenshot ) for Temp my PC is powerful .At secour Please help me .

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited July 2015

Well, now I've uncovered another problem. I've got a model that needs some matt zones split. I go into geometry editor. I open up the tool settings pane. I make it undockable. I rename the matt zones, since I'm going to need to name the new ones and I'd rather have them end up with names that are at least related.

Then I start turning zones off so I can see what I'm working with. In the course of this I have discovered that the geometry editor won't let one turn all of the matt zones off. The last one visible stays visible. 

And then the program quits.

Every single time.

Is this the way it is *supposed* to work? I'm sure that in 4.7 I was able to turn all of the matt zones off.

Post edited by JOdel on
  • I don't know about not being able to hide the last set of polygons but crashes are never how it is meant to work so a bug reprot is certainly in order.

• I've a question that's been plaguing me for months, in regards to rendering images. Every time I render a picture, it has both the pic itself, and a thumbnail. There are two problems with this; one, it clogs up the output folder and two, even when you delete them, they always come back when you render a new picture. Is there any way to prevent the thumbnail from being generated in DAZ, at all?

• Don't use the render Library. In the render window, assuming you are saving from there, click the Eender Library button and change it to Folder, then select a folder that isn't in the Render Library. You won't get thumbnails, but you won't see your images in the Render Library pane.

• nintendo1889nintendo1889 Posts: 17
    edited July 2015

Don't use the render Library. In the render window, assuming you are saving from there, click the Eender Library button and change it to Folder, then select a folder that isn't in the Render Library. You won't get thumbnails, but you won't see your images in the Render Library pane.

Ah, that would explain why it happens, I simply need to change the output folder is all. Gotcha. Thanks! 

Post edited by nintendo1889 on
  • scathascatha Posts: 756

I'm not using the render library at all, but no matter where I save my render I get these icons. So that doesn't stop the creation of these icons... and I have verified that it isn't windows doing it.

• scatha said:

I'm not using the render library at all, but no matter where I save my render I get these icons. So that doesn't stop the creation of these icons... and I have verified that it isn't windows doing it.

Seriously? That's rather disappointing. I think there's some weird limitation with the software. So there's no way around it, at all. Wow. Unbelievable. 

I just tried saving a render to an empty folder, and I have only the single saved render image, and nothing else.  So it's certainly possible to do, it should just be a matter of figuring out what is different for you that causes it at the moment, then changing it.

edited July 2015

(anybody know how to delete a post?)

Post edited by sriesch on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

There should be a gear to the right... edit, delete?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

YOU can't    We can, but only by moving it out of sight. Nothing is ever deleted,  We like to keep the evidence

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Hmmm, guess not... only edit... Weird...

• sriesch said:

I just tried saving a render to an empty folder, and I have only the single saved render image, and nothing else.  So it's certainly possible to do, it should just be a matter of figuring out what is different for you that causes it at the moment, then changing it.

Ah, fair enough, still, I wonder what part of the program renders both the image and thumbnail, and whether or not the developers can change the code for it. 

Don't use the render Library. In the render window, assuming you are saving from there, click the Eender Library button and change it to Folder, then select a folder that isn't in the Render Library. You won't get thumbnails, but you won't see your images in the Render Library pane.

Ah, that would explain why it happens, I simply need to change the output folder is all. Gotcha. Thanks! 

You need to change it from Render Library mode to save to a folder mode, which is what Richard described. You can move your render library and still get the thumbnails as well. 

• Don't use the render Library. In the render window, assuming you are saving from there, click the Eender Library button and change it to Folder, then select a folder that isn't in the Render Library. You won't get thumbnails, but you won't see your images in the Render Library pane.

You need to change it from Render Library mode to save to a folder mode, which is what Richard described. You can move your render library and still get the thumbnails as well. 

I must have gotten confused as the user above me, Scatha, said the following, "I'm not using the render library at all, but no matter where I save my render I get these icons. So that doesn't stop the creation of these icons... and I have verified that it isn't windows doing it."