Give New Support To Hexagon!

OrionPax09OrionPax09 Posts: 419
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Here's the thing. I like Hexagon. I like it a lot. I've had a great deal of success in using it. The interface is simple and intuitive, it has tools I've not seen elsewhere, and it gives you good results without a lot of headache. It's a far cry from that abysmally user-unfriendly bundle of misery known as Blender, where I have to struggle just to pan the freaking camera around an object, let alone get any actual modeling done!

But lately, I've had some problems. Hexagon has developed a nasty habit of crashing within a few minutes of being started up, and I have to restart my computer just to use it again. As a result, I've gotten stuck on a project I'm working on, and it's quite frustrating for me. And all the fixes I've tried have been unsuccessful. And there's no getting around the fact that Hexagon is an older program, and it doesn't enjoy the support that Blender or even Daz Studio does.

So please, whoever is in charge of such matters, PLEASE give Hexagon some new support! Breath some new life into it! Updates, new tools, improved interface! I really do like this program (though I admit I liked it better when it wasn't always crashing on me), and I would love to see it get a new lease on life!

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited July 2015

Thing is we have been saying this for years. It's not likely to happen. Daz makes money selling vicky. Hexagon is owned by Daz but hasn't seen any real updates in nearly 10 years. There isn't a lot of money for them to make on something like this.

So you have the choice of working around the issues, or looking into other options. Might take some time but there are other simple modelling tools out there. Silo was about as dead as Hexagon but the devs have finally released a small update and word has it they are working on another small update. Has a 30 day free trial if you are interested.

I'll continue to use hexagon for morphs, as long as they continue to have the hexagon/daz bridge. It's just so fast and easy to use hexagon for morphs/fixes that I can't see stopping using it in that fashion. I like hexagon, but have started to grow tired of it again for my own reasons. So for modelling projects I am practicing elsewhere.

Hopefully there wills till be a hex bridge in daz studio 5.x.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • MorkonanMorkonan Posts: 215
    edited July 2015

The code is dead.

The language isn't being developed anymore. In order to do anything with Hexagon, they'd have to rewrite the whole thing in a modern and "living" programming language that had the supports necessary for newer hardware. It just isn't going to happen. DAZ has already said, a few years ago, that it isn't going to happen. (The thread should be buried around here, somewhere.) At best, you might see something that keeps it working in certain situations, but even then it's a tough bet. It will probably die off in Win 10 unless users make heroic efforts to keep it working.

For me, I run it in Win 7 using a basic Intel vid driver. I can do this with no crashes, but the entire UI bugs the heck out a lot and I have to alt-tab to force a refresh. But, it's stable.

I love Hexagon. It has a remarkably intuitive interface, is very powerful for a modeler of its cost and has some extremely nice features. But, it has... problems, too. I'd love to see a revamped version and I'd be willing to pay over $100 for one with just the feature sets that it has, now. But, that's not going to happen as DAZ is not going to put any effort into developing Hexagon any further. Ever. (Unless they've changed their minds in the couple of years since I was active on this forum, last. And, considering the code base, I don't think they have.)

Sorry guys. Enjoy Hexagon while you can. Hopefully, you can find some legacy hardware/drivers to run it on as years go by. But, eventually, you're going to have to move on, no matter how much fun and how fast and easy Hexagon is to use. Sometimes, good things die and we can't do anything but mourn their passing.

PS - AND, my username has magically changed.... WTF? GG DAZ... Can NOBODY in this 3D community run a web-forum anymore? Has the advent of Facebake/Twitverse completely decimated decent web-forum and user-base coders? /sigh

PS+ - Fix't - I guess when databases are transported to new structures, it's de riguer to just randomly drop entries these days.

Post edited by Morkonan on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    Morkonan said:
     Has the advent of Facebake/Twitverse completely decimated decent web-forum and user-base coders? /sigh

Ummm... does that really need an answer?

If it does, then I think we both know what it is...

The original Facebook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4q6eaLn2mY

• Morkonan said:

The language isn't being developed anymore. In order to do anything with Hexagon, they'd have to rewrite the whole thing in a modern and "living" programming language that had the supports necessary for newer hardware.

ROTFLMAO

I don't see how you can justify any of those statements, but thanks for the belly laugh!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802

Hexagon works fine so far in Windows 10 IPE 10162 cool