Daz Studio Basics 101. New Users help for starting with DS.

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Yes that is correct. You have the software all you need now is to learn how it to use it. Light Master just educates on type of lights and how to use them. It doesn't show you how to use every peice of software out there becase they all pretty much work the same using basic principles. I would say Bryce is the exception.

I am not sure what you are after??

• wiibbwiibb Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@ Szark thank you and you have just answered my question that is shall teach me about lighting and how to use them.
    :P

edited December 1969

LOL Nice. This is the first time I have recommended anything like Light Master as we all learn in different ways and I don't want to have folks coming back saying it was a wsaste of money. But I will stand by what I said for the price I think it is worth it. You won't learn about Daz Studio but will learn what how to liight scenes etc. What different types of lights there are and so on.

In Daz Studio we only have Spot, Distant, Point, Liner Point Area (mesh lights) and Uber Enviroment light. But more on those later.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Wow!! You folks went to town on me. I so love seeing the thread being useful. I guess I should mention for new people that I live with a medical condition and must have Dialysis THREE times a week. I go on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, Because of that I will be gone early Monday ect.. nights so I can go have my treatment. As you can see some one will pop in and help if they can.

I thank you all. Keep up the good work wiibb, I like your first render. I'll never show my First.

edited December 1969

Hey Jaderail, it is not a problem and as you said I have been getting great advice all day from others :P such a great little community you guys have here :P
    With my new found hobby Jaderail I am sure I will be here asking all sorts of questions as I develop with Daz and when I like something I really do like it and it become a passion of mine so I hope I do not go on and on all the time with questions LoL'ss....

Yes I have not purchased Light master Szark and will make a start on reading it later tonight when I have a little more free time on my hands..... Thank you for pointing me in the right direction of my education to lighting.

@ Jaderail, thank you about first render and hopefully in time they shall improve Hahahah maybe sooner than we think after I get through this lighting tutorials...
    I hope you guys have a great and pleasant day.
    //Handshake
    :P

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited August 2012

Szark said:
    wiibb check this out http://www.3dlightmaster.com/get_lightmaster/ for $47 not bad. No light sets included like the one in the Strore here.

Back in May he was selling the lightmaster class for $24 and I picked it up with the 3d pin up class for $37 back in july. So if anyone is interested in his stuff I'd recommend signing up to his mailing list and waiting until he has a another sale. These seem to be quite frequent. I believe if you get the free ebook from here you get added to the mailing list: http://www.basic3dtraining.com/

Post edited by anikad on
    edited September 2012

Okay This thread Died, but I just posted two tips I must share with all new users so here we go.

This was about Hiding parts of items not Seen and why.

Tip for ALL: The hide parts not seen in the render is the way it should be done. Here is why. All items in your scene will have lighting and shadow calculations done, that includes all parts UNDER clothing or not in the Render Viewport. That forces RAM to be used to do the calculations for the light(s) on the Diffuse map (texture you see) and all shadows on all Transparency Maps (the parts that are removed in things like Hair or plants), remember that includes items you will never see in the finished render.

So you get Calculations for a LEG under the pants. You get Calculations for items on the Pre Load FULL Set that are not in the render. Always HIDE parts that will not be seen and Delete items that will not cast a shadow into your finished render.

This is just good practice, it saves your System more ram to work on the RENDER you will see and it will speed up your render time.

This has been a Tip just because.

This was a Follow up that I think others should know.

One more TIP: Always save your Scene when you finish setting it up. Then Exit Daz 3D and restart, then load the saved scene and render. This is why. All the textures you TRY before you Render are loaded to a STACK (ram that grows as you add things to your scene) when you try them. They stay in RAM (the Stack) until you save the file. At that time pointers to only the textures used are created in the save file. Yes you also get the RAM back at that time. So why close and reload you ask? Because if your System does not FREE the allocated blocks at save (Fragmented Ram) closing the program FREES all pointers the software is using. If it does not FREE all the ram you have Issues with your OS and not the software (Unless it is written very badly).

I hope this can help other users. I'm sorry if you have read this before.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Hi Jaderail, thank you for the tips :)
    I do have one question if you could be so kind to answer?

I have just treated my self to Poser but for the life of me I have spend the last 2 days trying to get all my Daz models,materials and so on into the Poser folders this is proving to be a very hard task I am facing..... Could you shade any light on how I would go about this?
    Thank you

edited September 2012

Just point Poser to the the RUNTIME folder inside the My Library folder as a content folder. You can only use the Poser content. All the files in the Runtime Folder are POSER format. None of the DS content will work in Poser. (anything above or not in Runtime is DS only)

I hope that helps.

EDIT: Or just COPY the Runtime folder and Paste it into the Place you want POSER to see it as a Folder.

edited December 1969

Thank you Jaderail, I shall try that :)

edited December 1969

Hi Guy's been having problems with this one for days now and just can not seem to work it out :(
    When I apply the skin texture to the model and render it I am getting this plastic looking model :(
    I have seen other images with the same soft of map and they look fine.... I have been working with all different lights and still no change, you can also tell were the hand and the arm are different textures....
    I have even went into the settings and been trying different stuff in there with still no luck, would anyone know what I am doing wrong here?
    :)

1.png
    800 x 466 - 138K
    edited December 1969

wiibb said:
    Hi Guy's been having problems with this one for days now and just can not seem to work it out :(
    When I apply the skin texture to the model and render it I am getting this plastic looking model :(
    I have seen other images with the same soft of map and they look fine.... I have been working with all different lights and still no change, you can also tell were the hand and the arm are different textures....
    I have even went into the settings and been trying different stuff in there with still no luck, would anyone know what I am doing wrong here?
    Screen_Cap.jpg
    1138 x 706 - 187K
    edited December 1969

Is that a POSER texture? If so try the Specular Strength and Reflection Strength and color. Poser textures load with POSER settings sort of. I'm not sure whats up with the Tattoo, it could be low render settings. For now try the first two I mentioned.

edited December 1969

Thank you yet again Jaderail, I shall go and try it just now.

edited December 1969

wiibb try this out http://homepage.eircom.net/~neilvpose/ds-settings.htm should help you understand the surfaces pane better.

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Tattoos are difficult to get right, especially ones that are 'built in' with a person's skin texture. I don't know what it is with some skin texturers but they seem to know little about tattoos. Often they get their excellent skin texture and just draw a tattoo on it, without thinking about how a real tattoo fades in with the skin pigment.

edited December 1969

Thank you Szark, I am working on a new render right now, just had a quick little look over that page looks like a lot of very valuable information for myself to study as soon as I am finished with this render I shall go study it. Again you help is very much appreciated.

I hope you have a great day ahead of you

edited December 1969

Wiibb no problems. I find the link to be the best for learning the surfaces tab. Neil did a good job IMHO with that one.

13.47 here and still waiting for a Vue render to finish which I started off rendering at 2.30 this morning. About to start cooking our sunday roast chicken meal, yes I do all the cooking and have done for years.

Here is an old Archived link for making and blending tattoos http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=113201&highlight;= and here is how to deal with the missing images see the info at the top of this page http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/306/

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Okay, now I'm having render problems with DS4.5Pro. They look good in the viewport, all textures in place. I save as a scene, then render, and poof--all textures are gone.

In the one with Genesis, the can in his hand is supposed to have the texture, but not Genesis.

at_spam2.png
    1272 x 1272 - 115K
    at_mavka1_take2_crop.png
    240 x 422 - 27K
    edited December 1969

I've not seen this before. I'll get with the CV's and Admin's and see if anyone has some ideas.

edited December 1969

I have seen a few a bug reports about missing textures etc one this morning https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=47970 is it any thing like what is described in that bug report? Are the texture maps still in the surfaces pane?

edited December 1969

In both cases all work was done in DS Pro 4.5.0.114. Everything in Mavka is for Genesis. In Genesis, the can that didn't render the texture is Poser.

Everything had been working, so I think I messed something up around the 14th.

edited September 2012

Major Question. Were the textures in the Viewport before Render was used? I need to know if the Save cleared the Stack of all textures. You can check that by loading anything, adding a texture and then doing the save (the same way you did before), then checking in the Surfaces Tab to see if the textures are still loaded after you did the save.

• untitleddduntitleddd Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Okay, I'm really new with DS and I'm pretty sure I've only gotten the hang of about 1% of all the features in this program. Right now, I'm attempting to stretch out the genesis figure for the purpose of an exaggerated figure. Since the figure is stretched vertically, but not horizontally, it ended up making genesis' butt really awkward: long and flat!

Is there any way to make this more proportional?

bfsjdfhs.jpg
    150 x 277 - 44K
    edited December 1969

Yes, yes there is. Instead of Stretching the FULL figure at one time try just doing each part you want longer. It will take more time but I'm sure you can do it. Start with lower legs, then upper legs, just a bit for Hips (Butt is in this part) then abdomen, then chest, and so on and so on. Until you have what you want.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Major Question. Were the textures in the Viewport before Render was used? I need to know if the Save cleared the Stack of all textures. You can check that by loading anything, adding a texture and then doing the save (the same way you did before), then checking in the Surfaces Tab to see if the textures are still loaded after you did the save.

Those were rendered after I saved them. They looked find, I saved, rendered, they shed the textures. I'll try what you said and get back.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Yes, yes there is. Instead of Stretching the FULL figure at one time try just doing each part you want longer. It will take more time but I'm sure you can do it. Start with lower legs, then upper legs, just a bit for Hips (Butt is in this part) then abdomen, then chest, and so on and so on. Until you have what you want.

I'll have to try this too, just to see what I can do. I love this thread because I learn so much from ALL the questions and answers.

edited December 1969

Here's what I got tonight. Maybe I've messed up my render settings.

Capture1.PNG
    597 x 646 - 98K
    Capture2.PNG
    615 x 619 - 86K
    Capture3.PNG
    528 x 594 - 60K
    edited December 1969

Then I rendered and got the same untextured figure. I tried rendering several things that previously rendered okay and got nada, zip.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

What happens if you move the slider to 4 (software render)?