Some HDRI not working

After updating Daz to the new version some of the hdri are not working and they only show up in a pink color.

The settings are not touched after the update so its same configuration.

The rest seem to be working in the same settings but some of them are definitely affected by this.

What could be doing this.

Comments

• LauritaLaurita Posts: 197

These are probably HDRI files with an *.exr extension. You can simply open these files in Photoshop or GIMP and save them as *.hdr files. Then they will work as before.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,126

Your card driver?

• felisfelis Posts: 3,853

I reguarly uses EXR files without issues.

• Laurita said:

These are probably HDRI files with an *.exr extension. You can simply open these files in Photoshop or GIMP and save them as *.hdr files. Then they will work as before.

Thank You very much that worked for me flawlessly.

Its just wierd since the .exr file was working perfectly fine before the update since I was working on the scene before. 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,806
    edited November 2023

Some .exrs, mainly those from Flipmode sets, haev this issue and need resaving - reasaving them as an .exr is fine however.

There has been a chnage in the code Iray uses for imaeg handling, apparently the new code cannot cope with something in these files that the old code could handle.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • rschulterschulte Posts: 485
    edited November 2023

I'm having same issue, thanks for posting the workaround.

Post edited by rschulte on
  • rschulterschulte Posts: 485

Tried it and for me that didn't work...  as I also use Win 7 too I'm way overdue for uppgrading my system.  

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,862

I reported this issue with Flipmode's HDRIs occuring with the Beta on #429976 on January 28, 2023 and have yet to get a response from Tech Support. I asked Sales Support months later to look into it and another and there was a look at but again, nada. And with 4.22 the problem is now on all versions of Daz Studio, not just my Betas. This is the first time anyone else has noted it too.

I have GIMP but am barely functional in it. I will try though as I love Flipmode's products and own most of them.

Thank you @inno3196 for posting about this.

Mary

Okay, I am stupid. I am looking at Flipmode's FMA Exo Orbits Iray and the files are (name).duf, (name).png, (name).tip.png. Where do I find the .exr files to convert to (name).hdr? 

That is the pattern for all of the files from Flipmode I have, separated for 3DL and Iray.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,308

Looks like they are all in a folder under Textures (Runtime\Textures\FM_EasyEnvironments\) in each product's own folder.

Yep, there they are. Thanks @NorthOf45.

edited November 2023

I tried first on my MacBook Pro M1 and then on my Win 10 and updated my versions of GIMP also. I received the following message on all attempts when I 'dragged and dropped' the .exr file into the working space. Does anyone have a suggestion? I have some Corel products I might use if that is an option. I am hesitant to download a product from the internet that might also give me other troubles.

Thanks,

Mary

Edit to add: Corel is a no go as far as I have been able to discover.

GIMP Error Msg.PNG
    643 x 401 - 17K
    Post edited by memcneil70 on
  • FlipmodeFlipmode Posts: 890

memcneil70 said:

I reported this issue with Flipmode's HDRIs occuring with the Beta on #429976 on January 28, 2023 and have yet to get a response from Tech Support.

... And with 4.22 the problem is now on all versions of Daz Studio, not just my Betas.

Mary

Hi!
    I reported it in March after a customer had pointed out the issue on the Beta.
    I reported it again two days ago as a public release 4.22 issue. Daz are aware of it, and it should be forwarded to the proper tech section, but unfortunately right now I have no idea when or if they are going to fix it.

Anyway, I am very sorry for everyone running into this issue, and hope there will be a quick fix.
    Trust me, it´s no fun on my end either, the majority of my products suddenly broke with the 4.22 release.

Hi Flipmode, 

It was in one of the Beta updates where I found it at first, somewhere between Dec 2022 and Jan 2023. I had a render one month with no issues and after some updates on the Beta, another render showed that magenta screen. The regular release was fine until of course it was update last week. The few times I dip into the Beta Tech Forums I run away with a migraine. They speak Tech! 

I have continued to buy your products in hope for a fix down the road.

I just wish GIMP would convert the files to .HDR instead of freaking out. (see above)

Mary

memcneil70 said:

I just wish GIMP would convert the files to .HDR instead of freaking out. (see above)

Mary

Thanks for you patience ! :)

I just downloaded Gimp for the first time (meaning I have no clue about it either), and get the same error. :(
    For me Photoshop works, that´s where I usually edit and save my .exr files, but well, I know that doesn´t help you much right now.

Let´s give it a few days and see if Daz comes up with a solution.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,806
    edited November 2023

Flipmode said:

memcneil70 said:

Mary

I just downloaded Gimp for the first time (meaning I have no clue about it either), and get the same error. :(
    For me Photoshop works, that´s where I usually edit and save my .exr files, but well, I know that doesn´t help you much right now.

This is caused, as I understand it, by the change from FreeImage to Open Image IO for image handling in iray - it is not soemthing Daz has any control over.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Well I went to FabConvert.com after checking out its reputation. I just have to be careful of not overloading it on file size. Since I have three D|S set-ups, I am storing the downloaded zip files on Google Docs so I only have to go through it one time. Stopped for now at Frozen Lake AO as I started to get confused and fingers tired. Continue tomorrow. But a test of some of the files show an excellent result. 

Richard, that image handling, is it something the PAs will have to change how they save files and then when they have made all their changes and moved on, like with ghost lights, Nvidia will come back and change it again? And why didn't they let developers/PAs know before now?

Everyone, thank you for your help.

Mary

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,408

Richard Haseltine said:

Flipmode said:

memcneil70 said:

Mary

This is caused, as I understand it, by the change from FreeImage to Open Image IO for image handling in iray - it is not soemthing Daz has any control over.

And that has not been an issue for any other vendor's exr files in DS.  I believe Flipmode needs  to update his products to a compatible exr version, as several users have already described doing for themselves. Flipmode needs to submit those new exr files to Daz in product updates.

• memcneil70 said:

Well I went to FabConvert.com after checking out its reputation. I just have to be careful of not overloading it on file size. Since I have three D|S set-ups, I am storing the downloaded zip files on Google Docs so I only have to go through it one time. Stopped for now at Frozen Lake AO as I started to get confused and fingers tired. Continue tomorrow. But a test of some of the files show an excellent result. 

Richard, that image handling, is it something the PAs will have to change how they save files and then when they have made all their changes and moved on, like with ghost lights, Nvidia will come back and change it again? And why didn't they let developers/PAs know before now?

It doesn't seem to be a general issue, I am not sure any other products have been affected (though it seems unlikely that only one person would use the particular tool or combination of settings that trigger this).

Everyone, thank you for your help.

Mary

Small update:

I haven´t heard anything from Daz yet, so I have no clue whether they are working on a software fix or not.

On my end, I figured out the cause of the issue: The compression method I am using for my HDRIs.
    It´s very efficient, lowering filesize to about 1/3, but it doesn´t seem to be supported by 4.22.

So, I made and submitted those updates for all my products today, just in case Daz does not fix it.
    Since it doesn´t affect the final filesize (it tripples either way), I resaved the majority of images from my source-images to eliminate the previously applied compression. Can´t say I´d see a difference, but in theory it should be better quality.
    I´d prefer a software fix and keeping the much smaller file size, but that´s not in my hands.

Please keep in mind I just submitted the update packs, so -if Daz decides to use them- it will be a while until they become available.  I´ll try to keep you updated.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,308

Appreciate the effort. I have quite a few to replace...

Thank you so much. I noticed the file size increase when I converted the .exr to .hdr files. I just have to remember to go to Browse, and track down the file I want to use and click on it. I learned something in this process. So I came out ahead. 

• lachilachi Posts: 76
    edited November 2023

I was able to open the EXR files in Adobe Photoshop but after saving them there is no light at all. I see the background but the foreground is black because apparently the HDRI does not send any light.

Edit: When opening the EXR in Photoshop there are two popups, 1st about alpha-channel and 2nd about some color profile (I don't have the english Photoshop). When saving there are more popups. After some trials I might have chosen the right options because it looks better now but I'm just guessing here. 

Post edited by lachi on
  • contact_8c4cd5c6contact_8c4cd5c6 Posts: 11
    edited November 2023

I did this and the foreground image comes up correct but the mountains and background image are burry so this is not a true fix. It will only render the foreground but blurrs th background. So if you want touse the original background this does notfix the issue. I want the background which is why I made the purchase. If this is notgoing ot be fixed properly then why buy Flipmodes packs? The author needs to fix thisASAP and that fix needs tobe implemented ASAP. I did the updates and it is still not fixed. As of now the flipmode packs are useless if they will not render properly.

Renders foreground only.png
    1080 x 1920 - 2M
    Post edited by contact_8c4cd5c6 on
  • lachilachi Posts: 76

contact_8c4cd5c6 said:

I did this and the foreground image comes up correct but the mountains and background image are burry so this is not a true fix. It will only render the foreground but blurrs th background. So if you want touse the original background this does notfix the issue. I want the background which is why I made the purchase. If this is notgoing ot be fixed properly then why buy Flipmodes packs? The author needs to fix thisASAP and that fix needs tobe implemented ASAP. I did the updates and it is still not fixed. As of now the flipmode packs are useless if they will not render properly.

Flipmode has fixed it november 12 but apparently DAZ takes a while to release the fix.

Trust me, I´d wish it´d go faster too.
    Not everyone is looking up stuff on the forums, so I guess each day earns me disappointed customers who will never buy from my store again.
    Anyway, Daz are finally on it, I hope the updates will start popping up in the next couple of days.

Flipmode said:

Trust me, I´d wish it´d go faster too.
    Not everyone is looking up stuff on the forums, so I guess each day earns me disappointed customers who will never buy from my store again.
    Anyway, Daz are finally on it, I hope the updates will start popping up in the next couple of days.

Even after I submitted a report to DAZ's Tech Support and never heard back from them, I still bought your products on the hope something would get fixed someday. They worked in the regular release until 4.22. You are one of the PAs who have found ways for users to continue to use your 3delight products. When you found out about this issue in the forums you got on to the issue right away. I just wish Daz had passed on my report when I had submitted it. You are solid with me. 

Mary

• I just had the first update pop-up in DIM, for Easy Environment Clouds.

memcneil70 said:

... When you found out about this issue in the forums you got on to the issue right away. I just wish Daz had passed on my report when I had submitted it. You are solid with me.

Thanks Mary, much appreciated!

Richard Haseltine said:

I just had the first update pop-up in DIM, for Easy Environment Clouds.

As far as I know Easy Environments Clouds, Easy Environments Clouds II, Easy Environments ExoPlanet I and Easy Environments ExoPlanet V have been updated yesterday.
    It´s quite a task for QA as well, but I hope more will follow soon.