DAZ Studio Pro 4.8.0.59, General Release, Now Available! [*UPDATED*]

Comments

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Ohh, hang on, wait a minute, I just clicked on the Beta in my Product Library and it's showing a manual download for the Public Beta Iray Support Content. That's the same as what they're trying to put up for the release version, right? If I'd known there was a manual download available I would have got it a while ago.

Let me know if I can go ahead and install that in the release version and I'll get cracking if I can

CHEERS!

There are some tweaks between what is in that and what is in the release version, but that is what I was talking about. LOL.

Ok, great, just so long as I can install it all and launch I'll be happy/

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

There is not a regular installer is there? I do not see an install tab or anything like that.
    If you do a manual download, How do you install it?
    Regular Installer for what?
    For the software yes there is a "Regular" Installer. For Content we haven't made installers for a while.

Maybe I said this wrong.
    Lets say, I do a manual download of Daz 4.8, Now what I have is a zip file. What do I do to install it from this Zip file? Is there something inside the Zip I click on to install it?

DS4.8 itself is actually an installer, which is what you get when you manually download it. Just double click it and it'll do its thing and prompt you when it needs your input. If you have a zip file which is what manually downloaded content will be, you open it, either with a program like 7Zip or you can just open the zip with a double click. Inside the zip are folders which you extract to where they need to be. I think you right click to extract folders via Windows. I use 7Zip myself which can be downloaded from many sites, just Google it.

CHEERS!

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140
    edited May 2015

Stupid post but I'm currently going through all my shaders in Shaders and Shader Presets and creating an !Older Shader Sets folder. With iRay going to be the default and dsa shaders not showing up in the Smart Content pane I figure it's time to get those out of the way since what I've seen of iRay effects and shaders I'm not going to even want to use the older ones.

I have one folder of shaders I really wish were updated for iRay and that's Gemologica! Yea, that would be really worth the effort I think. Great set but as it is it's in dsa format, which does make it outdated.

Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited December 1969

LAMH will not render in Iray, no.

You can convert LAMH (and I think Garibaldi hair) to Obj and it will render... but Obj makes for huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge files.
    (When I use LAMH, I save a preset and never save the file with LAMH applied. When it's time to render, I apply the preset, convert to Obj, apply shader, render, then make sure not to save before I close up)

Well that's not good . I really hope that Alex and company are working on that! YIKES!

edited May 2015

RAMWolff said:
    Stupid post but I'm currently going through all my shaders in Shaders and Shader Presets and creating an !Older Shader Sets folder. With iRay going to be the default and dsa shaders not showing up in the Smart Content pane I figure it's time to get those out of the way since what I've seen of iRay effects and shaders I'm not going to even want to use the older ones.

I have one folder of shaders I really wish were updated for iRay and that's Gemologica! Yea, that would be really worth the effort I think. Great set but as it is it's in dsa format, which does make it outdated.

So, you're ditching 3Delight completely and solely using Iray? Ok.....

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited December 1969

If that's the new wave for creating more cool crazy realism along with other effects? Sure, why not.

edited December 1969

Fine I suppose, but only if all the content creators follow suit, some may, some may not. Daz aren't dropping 3Delight and there will still be a user base for it.

CHEERS!

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    There is not a regular installer is there? I do not see an install tab or anything like that.
    If you do a manual download, How do you install it?
    Regular Installer for what?
    For the software yes there is a "Regular" Installer. For Content we haven't made installers for a while.

Maybe I said this wrong.
    Lets say, I do a manual download of Daz 4.8, Now what I have is a zip file. What do I do to install it from this Zip file? Is there something inside the Zip I click on to install it?

DS4.8 itself is actually an installer, which is what you get when you manually download it. Just double click it and it'll do its thing and prompt you when it needs your input. If you have a zip file which is what manually downloaded content will be, you open it, either with a program like 7Zip or you can just open the zip with a double click. Inside the zip are folders which you extract to where they need to be. I think you right click to extract folders via Windows. I use 7Zip myself which can be downloaded from many sites, just Google it.

CHEERS!

The Mac version of DS4.8 is in a ZIP file, I think that is what the OP is referring to.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff: You'd be surprised, with some of the old shaders.

I got the Metal and Wood shader pack thingie. The metal shaders are still somewhat useful, mainly because of various Normal and other maps that can be enhanced in Iray (some of it needs to be tiled a bit or it looks silly).
    The wood shaders are FANTASTICALLY useful, because, well, wood patterns and normal/bump maps. Woo!

For example, here are four wood rings. Wood shaders, then converted to Iray, specular/glossiness, and set all glossy weight to .5 and glossiness to .5 (you could do otherwise, but good starting point).

Any shaders with cool maps are going to be useful. Special shaders, like pwEffects (sigh), useless.

Wood_rings.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,756
    edited December 1969

So my morph asset loading problem is not !!! solved yet. When I try to load some hair or clothes, it loads without morphs.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff: You'd be surprised, with some of the old shaders.

I got the Metal and Wood shader pack thingie. The metal shaders are still somewhat useful, mainly because of various Normal and other maps that can be enhanced in Iray (some of it needs to be tiled a bit or it looks silly).
    The wood shaders are FANTASTICALLY useful, because, well, wood patterns and normal/bump maps. Woo!

For example, here are four wood rings. Wood shaders, then converted to Iray, specular/glossiness, and set all glossy weight to .5 and glossiness to .5 (you could do otherwise, but good starting point).

Any shaders with cool maps are going to be useful. Special shaders, like pwEffects (sigh), useless.

Looks great. What I was doing was just putting the older shader folders into one to keep the Shader and Shader Presets folder from being just too much to scroll through. Anything with a duf, including 3Delight Shaders, remain. As much as I enjoyed working with the pw stuff, that creator is long gone and I doubt they will be updated again. With DAZ moving forward I choose to move forward with their vision. Doesn't mean that someone won't come up with some fabulous script to get well loved shaders updated to iRay with a click, I'll invest in that but for now I just needed to make room and organize those two folders, it was driving me crazy. I mean I still have shaders with in the old ds format ... yea... just too much to scroll through! lol

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

So my morph asset loading problem is not !!! solved yet. When I try to load some hair or clothes, it loads without morphs.

Please post a screen-shot of your Content Directory Manager (available from Edit>Preferences>Content Library tab or from the Content Library pane's option menu) with the Current>DAZ Studio Formats section expanded.

• StrixowlStrixowl Posts: 301
    edited December 1969

If I dl and install Public Beta Iray Support Content does that include the Iray lights or do the lights install with the actual 4.8 program?

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,756
    edited December 1969

Please post a screen-shot of your Content Directory Manager (available from Edit>Preferences>Content Library tab or from the Content Library pane's option menu) with the Current>DAZ Studio Formats section expanded.
    Have been busy to figure out, what went wrong. Now I've got it.
    My mistake: Plain, silly and embarrassing. :red:
    It was a mistake in my content management settings. It is necessary toset the content directory path to "my library". ".../DazStudio4" or ".../Studio" would not enough. That could load files, but not the morph assets.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Strixowl said:
    If I dl and install Public Beta Iray Support Content does that include the Iray lights or do the lights install with the actual 4.8 program?
    The default lights for Iray is included with the program. The Emissive shader is included in the content.
  • StrixowlStrixowl Posts: 301
    edited December 1969

Strixowl said:
    The default lights for Iray is included with the program. The Emissive shader is included in the content.

Thank you Spooky :)

edited May 2015

Is there any comparison to the older shader system that I can use to fix some of the attempts I'm trying on my own? This is maddening beyond compare.

Like the three I need in order to get a black shader to actually give me some rim feedback, some highlights... like Glossy & Specular. There has to be a comparable twin of some sort in the iRay shader line up. OMG.... *pulling my hair out*

Tried working with a new light set for iRay... crashed DS. Also notice since the iRay setup is constantly updating when ever you make one slight move to ANYTHING in the scene it really slows down posing any just about anything else. This is not going to be a seller if this isn't figured out quickly, this is from an end users experience thus far.

New toys are great but when info is delayed on how to use it fully that's really bad...

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Is there any comparison to the older shader system that I can use to fix some of the attempts I'm trying on my own? This is maddening beyond compare.

Like the three I need in order to get a black shader to actually give me some rim feedback, some highlights... like Glossy & Specular. There has to be a comparable twin of some sort in the iRay shader line up. OMG.... *pulling my hair out*

Tried working with a new light set for iRay... crashed DS. Also notice since the iRay setup is constantly updating when ever you make one slight move to ANYTHING in the scene it really slows down posing any just about anything else. This is not going to be a seller if this isn't figured out quickly, this is from an end users experience thus far.

New toys are great but when info is delayed on how to use it fully that's really bad...

Shaders: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/interface/panes/surfaces/shaders/iray_uber_shader/start

What do you mean Iray setup?

edited May 2015

RAMWolff said:

Shaders: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/interface/panes/surfaces/shaders/iray_uber_shader/start

What do you mean Iray setup?

Sorry, don't know what else to call it. When the iRay option is selected rather than the older 3Delight Texture Shaded option... does that make more sense? Sorry.... thanks for the link

OK... purused through the info. How does one get some RIM, that be under the Glossy area I guess? As stated, I took one of my home made shaders that I'd LOVE to get set up for iRay and it's a black material, but it's rendering black, I mean no other feedback. It's got a slight bump and displacement on it to have the light scatter a bit over it in the original shader. Using the Headlamp I get SOME feedback but if I use any other light set that's made for the iRay engine it's just pure black ... I'd almost expect the opposite. Very confusing stuff here.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

How does one get some RIM, that be under the Glossy area I guess? As stated, I took one of my home made shaders that I’d LOVE to get set up for iRay and it’s a black material, but it’s rendering black, I mean no other feedback. It’s got a slight bump and displacement on it to have the light scatter a bit over it in the original shader.

What do you mean by RIM? Something like a velvet edge? Can you post an image of the old shader?

edited December 1969

Here are examples of the issue with things rendering black..

Blackout.jpg
    1112 x 1440 - 562K
    BlackoutPreRender.jpg
    1211 x 907 - 283K
    edited December 1969

Not so worried about the RIM thing right now, more wanting to get this black render issue solved....

• tl155180tl155180 Posts: 994
    edited May 2015

Like some others here I've noticed that many of my older product textures and shaders don't work in Iray without considerable tweaking and what I assume to be an advanced level of know-how (which obviously I don't have - so I wouldn't know for sure).

The worst hit areas seem to be terrain textures/shaders. I don't think I have a single one that survives the Iray conversion intact. Are there any plans to include some Iray terrain shaders when the new 4.8 content is released? e.g. sand, soil, grass, snow, rock etc

I have so many exterior/landscape products I've bought that I can't currently use in Iray without quickly becoming a much, much more experienced user.

Post edited by tl155180 on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,512
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Fine I suppose, but only if all the content creators follow suit, some may, some may not. Daz aren't dropping 3Delight and there will still be a user base for it.

CHEERS!

...over the last two months I have become reasonably skilled in converting and adjusting materials for Iray even for old sets and props. I've learned more about the technical side of Iray as I've been working with it from the ground up so to say. At least to me, Iray materials and lights just seem so much more "elegant".

...but then, that's just a personal observation.

• LostboysLostboys Posts: 18
    edited May 2015

I just installed a new package that popped up in dim and now the iray shaders are gone....whats up with that?

EDIT:A new package with lights and shaders popped up just now.All good.

Post edited by Lostboys on
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff, do those lights also include some sort of render settings? What sort of tone mapping settings are they using and so forth?

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,171
    edited December 1969

Updated Starter Essentials packages should now be available. The beta Iray package update removes testing/conflicting files in preparation for an update to the Default Lights and Shaders package, which should be posting momentarily. If all goes as planned, an update to the Interactive Lesson package will be posted later this evening.

-Rob

• argel1200argel1200 Posts: 757
    edited May 2015

Something to keep in mind is that biased rendering engines like 3Delight use shaders, special light settings (e.g. soft shadows, how quickly light drops off, etc.) to pull things off while unbiased rendering engines in general (like Iray, Luxrender, Octance, etc.) try to simulate real world physics. So e.g. a book on photographic lighting techniques could actually be useful (minus the jargon). One cool thing about this is that much of what you learn about lighting can be applied to other unbiased rendering engines or even to photography. There will still be all the specifics with materials, etc. of course, but at least there is more portable knowledge, something I find very exciting.

Post edited by argel1200 on
  • argel1200argel1200 Posts: 757
    edited December 1969

rbtwhiz said:
    Updated Starter Essentials packages should now be available. The beta Iray package update removes testing/conflicting files in preparation for an update to the Default Lights and Shaders package, which should be posting momentarily. If all goes as planned, an update to the Interactive Lesson package will be posted later this evening.

-Rob

Thanks Rob! They just showed up for me (the starters and geo-craft).

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

rbtwhiz said:

-Rob

Excellent, thank you :)